Be careful if you pre-paid your tips at the 2015 rate.

CineGraphic

A recent table mate also commented that she had to "straighten" this out at the Customer Service Desk also.

Interesting how it isn't "automatic". How difficult could that be?

Thanks for letting everyone know about this.

When you "pre-pay" your tips, you're just sending yourself OBC in the amount of the anticipated tips. The OBC can be used for anything charged to your account. Nothing is actually pre-paid other than the OBC. The OBC amount you pre-paid doesn't lock you in at the older rate. It's just OBC.

When you "pre-pay" your tips, you're just sending yourself OBC in the amount of the anticipated tips. The OBC can be used for anything charged to your account. Nothing is actually pre-paid other than the OBC. The OBC amount you pre-paid doesn't lock you in at the older rate. It's just OBC.

That isn't what it says on the Website though.

In this case the original Princess letter (which unfortunately I can't find right now) specifically said pay now and lock in the old rate. When we made our payment, the letter said

"
Thank you for planning your cruise vacation with Princess Cruises. Please keep this email as confirmation of your gratuities payment on the credit card shown below. We look forward to welcoming you aboard!

They went up $1 per passenger per night

Regular cabins: $12.95 per passenger per night

Mini-suites and suites $13.95 per passenger per night

As the old rates were $11.50 and $12.00 respectively' date=' a bit more than $1 pp/pd increase.

There were many posts on here from those with booked 2016 cruises at the time of the announcement that said Princess specifically indicated the older rate would be honored if pre-paid by a certain date.

Also I believe others have reported that when pre-paying gratuities through the cruise personalizer that the payment does post for that specific purpose and not just as random OBC (similar to pre-paying for soda or AIBP). Maybe Princess' online pre-payment platform has finally moved into the 21st century.

Edited by fishywood

As the old rates were $11.50 and $12.00 respectively, a bit more than $1 pp/pd increase.

There were many posts on here from those with booked 2016 cruises at the time of the announcement that said Princess specifically indicated the older rate would be honored if pre-paid by a certain date.

Also I believe others have reported that when pre-paying gratuities through the cruise personalizer that the payment does post for that specific purpose and not just as random OBC (similar to pre-paying for soda or AIBP). Maybe Princess' online pre-payment platform has finally moved into the 21st century.

I paid at the old rate before the deadline, and Princess charged me the old price, and it was reflected as the old price on the Personalizer.

Then, about a month later, the Personalizer showed the charge as being paid at the new rate. It appears that they changed my credit to pay the difference so the the 'book keeping' will be correct. :)

The increase was never charged to my credit card, so, in effect, Princess is paying the difference for me.

I pre-paid the gratuities for a Feb.2016 cruise in early October. I got an email from Princess confirming that I had paid the gratuities with my credit card being charged $360.00 On my cruise personalizer under payments and credits it shows that I have pre-paid $418.50 for gratuities.

The amount charged to my credit card was based on the cost of the gratuities prior to the 1/1/2016 rate increase. The amount shown on the personaizer as being paid is based on the new higher rate. I expect my shipboard account to list the gratuity as a debit each day and be followed by a credit for the same amount. That is the way their accounting system has worked in the past.

Another example is the charge for sending clothes to the ship's laundry. Each time my shipboard account has shown a charge for the laundry followed by a credit for the same amount. I get the laundry credit due to my level in the Captain's Circle loyalty program.

I specifically pre-paid mine using a credit card. How can that be an OBC? It is the same as buying someone flowers or wine. The card should be there. It was on my last cruise stating my tips were already paid.

In our case, the statement showed the total amount of our pre-payment as a credit, but the daily charges were at the new rate. To correct that, the bookkeepers removed the daily charges and billed us for the gratuities as one lump-sum instead of the daily rate.

I had a feeling this was going to happen. I prepaid and printed the confirmation of prepaying the gratuities. I have already packed it and will be ready to make a quick trip to the passengers service desk. ;)

Thanks for the heads up!!

Janet

I just prepaid my gratuities last week for my cruise next week on the Crown. I'm pretty sure i paid the new rate however I don't have a problem if its the new rate. The people who get these tips deserve them and more so I'm not going to sweat the $1 more a day. Now mind you it's only 2 of us for a 4 day cruise. If it were for 4 on a longer cruise it might be a little harder to swallow but like I said I feel they deserve that extra dollar:)

I paid at the old rate before the deadline, and Princess charged me the old price, and it was reflected as the old price on the Personalizer.

Then, about a month later, the Personalizer showed the charge as being paid at the new rate. It appears that they changed my credit to pay the difference so the the 'book keeping' will be correct. :)

The increase was never charged to my credit card, so, in effect, Princess is paying the difference for me.

I'm seeing the same thing when looking at our upcoming cruise. I paid and was credited for gratuities at the old rate which was shown on the Personalizer. It now shows the gratuities as paid in full at the new rate, even though I've paid nothing additional.

Grey

Edited by Greyhound3

As others have said ... this is wrong. Princess offered the option of pre-paying at the 2015 rates. If you did, when you check your Cruise Personalizer, you'll see that it says your gratuities are "paid!"

Edited by BigGuy25

Exactly the same for me.

To be clear though, it's showing pre-paid but not as OBC.

Edited by Nezmo

Not in this particular instance, Princess is covering the difference.

Not true we pre paid and were not charged any gratuities on board.

I just prepaid my gratuities last week for my cruise next week on the Crown. I'm pretty sure i paid the new rate however I don't have a problem if its the new rate. The people who get these tips deserve them and more so I'm not going to sweat the $1 more a day. Now mind you it's only 2 of us for a 4 day cruise. If it were for 4 on a longer cruise it might be a little harder to swallow but like I said I feel they deserve that extra dollar:)

We just prepaid our gratuities for our upcoming cruise – 14 days from Singapore to Yokohama departing on 11 April 16. The Princess Webpage specifically allowed us to “Prepay Gratuities”. It was not simply adding OBC, which we also prepaid for use as on-board credit.

We are with you concerning not having a problem with the new rate (in fact we waited to prepay so as to pay the higher rate). We feel that an additional dollar or two a day is well deserved by those who sweat and toil in harsh conditions while we enjoy our vacation. We are certainly not rich but I do feel that if my DW and I can afford the vacation then we can afford a few dollars for a job well done. We are not on a high horse but just choose to share. Fair seas and sunny skies to all.

I prepaid my gratuity last October. So I went to the cruise personalizer for our upcoming trip and sure enough they have credited me the new rate. There should not be a problem. I had not paid attention but had copied off the info where I had paid it last October.