Did I make a huge mistake?

csj0810

I fear I may have made a huge mistake in booking a family cruise out of Galveston on the Liberty. The more I read about how difficult it is to get from airport to port, distance, fog delays, two night minimums at hotels, the more I am beginning to panic. We are a year out and could potentially change reservations to something out of FL on Freedom. I was looking forward to a freshly revamped ship with water slides and wanted to try a different ship. But so many bad reports about Galveston. Anyone have good reviews-tricks to make it easier with a family of four flying in?

I fear I may have made a huge mistake in booking a family cruise out of Galveston on the Liberty. The more I read about how difficult it is to get from airport to port, distance, fog delays, two night minimums at hotels, the more I am beginning to panic. We are a year out and could potentially change reservations to something out of FL on Freedom. I was looking forward to a freshly revamped ship with water slides and wanted to try a different ship. But so many bad reports about Galveston. Anyone have good reviews-tricks to make it easier with a family of four flying in?

When is your sail date?

I have cruised out of Galveston twice. Both times we went down the day before, once we stayed with family and once we stayed at a hotel. First time was spring break the second was May before school let out. We had our ow car so transportation wasn't an issue. We never had an issue with fog. Search on this site for most times fog will come in. Parking was great. We parked right across the street from the terminal in a inclosed garage for $65 per week. We are from KCMO so it is very affordable for us to drive instead of flying. I would cruise out of Galveston again in a heartbeat.

The only mistake was reading too many reviews....stop it!

This.

It can indeed change your perspective. Having said this, you can find one night stays in Galveston like you can find two night stays in FTL. The fog is seasonal. We're sailing on Liberty in less than 5 weeks. We're driving/parking right across the port.

Start booking your rooms now if you can.

We cruised out of Galveston and everything went smoothly. Drove down the day before and stayed in League City and parking near the terminal was easy and gated. Fog was no issue..we went last March. I can't say much on flying in. Just relax and enjoy the cruise...just remember it's easier to get there the day before.

Same here in April....have sailed Galv. probably 10 times at least. There are peculiar problems but they can be dealt with easily. Stay in League or Texas City as suggested.

We have same problem in April. Brother flying in day before to Hobby, he and other brother staying at airport hotel and the one brother taking Galveston Express shuttle service ($37.50 pp roundtrip) over to island while everyone else driving in and parking across street. I say go for it. I am also looking forward to Liberty new look! This will be our 3rd trip on her.:D

fill out your profile so we know where you live

delete

Edited by SeaUs

This.

It can indeed change your perspective. Having said this, you can find one night stays in Galveston like you can find two night stays in FTL. The fog is seasonal. We're sailing on Liberty in less than 5 weeks. We're driving/parking right across the port.

Start booking your rooms now if you can.

What season if the fog at it's worst?

If you can, fly into Hobby - it's closer. Book your return after 12 noon. We've cruised out of Galveston many times - had fog only once. The 2 night minimum is really just for holiday weekends, special Galveston events and summer. Since there is 4 of you, arrange transport to and from airport - the price should be decent for 4 people. Galveston is a cool little island with fun things to do.

We booked two one-day stays in Galveston (one of the Marriott Properties) for our November Cruise. One of the reservations was double to triple the cost of the other since it was a weekend. We're doing a Royal/Disney B2B, and decided to stay a post night so we're driving on Saturday instead of Friday.

Hobby is a lot better to fly into than IAH. THe two time we got Royal to do our air, we connected through DFW. And it turned out cheaper to drive and spend the night in Austin.

Edited by knittinggirl

I was also very apprehensive about the Galveston departure. But it all worked out very, very well.

We flew in to Houston IAH the day before. We stayed at the Marriott connected to the airport by small shuttle tram. The next morning we returned to the airport via the tram and met RCI at the baggage claim area. They had a table and RCI flags. So we took the Royal transfer to the port with no problems.

We also had the transfer back to IAH at the end of the cruise.

(My biggest concern was that you could only have certain beers, wines and spirits while in Galveston port and then also until you were 12 miles out to sea due to Texas regulations.)

Only happens around Jan/Feb with a couple March days. Warm months don't have it very rarely...so there may be a chance of it, but it's all an adventure to us. We've been through 3 fog cruises.

Once returning on Navi had to wait 6 hrs out in the bay until they cleared us to come in.

Another on Mariner, we didn't leave until 2:00 am Monday morning.

But what do you care....you're on the ship and having fun...none of these caused any delays whatever to our first ports.

I know the Tx liquor law is silly but to those who read CC and have never gone out of Galveston, it is not as dramatic as it sounds. You can have a beer - you just may not be able to get your specific brand. You can get alcohol - you might not get your favorite call. We've never gone thirsty before we get to international waters. ;)

I know the Tx liquor law is silly but to those who read CC and have never gone out of Galveston, it is not as dramatic as it sounds. You can have a beer - you just may not be able to get your specific brand. You can get alcohol - you might not get your favorite call. We've never gone thirsty before we get to international waters. ;)

We took about 600 of our employees and customers on a cruise out of Galveston in February 2006, and I had to deal with a couple of customers that had passed out at the pool deck by 5pm while we were sitting at the dock in Galveston. No problem getting served or in this case over-served while sitting at the dock.:D

JC

Please go to the board designated home ports and open the Gulf Departures. There is tons of information about Galveston, including hotel recommendations, transportation info and airport info. You will find out everything you need to know.

We have cruised six times out of Galveston. We have loved each and every one of them. We have been lucky to cruise during fog season and never have been affected by it. My suggestion for that would be to schedule a later flight or even plan for an extra night post cruise if you are that concerned about it. From relatives that have lived there, fog is primarily a problem during winter time and really only bad if a cold front comes in.

Certainly flying in for a cruise from Galveston usually requires a little more logistical planning and costs than FLL/MIA, but I don't believe it is a mistake to do so. I recommend a private car service for anything more than two people. It usually costs less than the shared shuttle services in our experience. Renting a car for the week may be another option as well and many hotels on the island allow you to park a car for a cruise even if they don't advertise it. Just call the hotel direct and ask.

The two night minimum can be quite annoying especially if you are wanting a full service hotel or had somewhere specific in mind. But there will be rooms available on island for a one night stay if you are flexible and very often as you get closer to your sail date (within 1-2 weeks) most of the hotels that require two nights will open up for one night bookings if they have rooms left.

Only happens around Jan/Feb with a couple March days. Warm months don't have it very rarely...so there may be a chance of it, but it's all an adventure to us. We've been through 3 fog cruises.

Once returning on Navi had to wait 6 hrs out in the bay until they cleared us to come in.

But what do you care....you're on the ship and having fun...none of these caused any delays whatever to our first ports.

Wouldn't a delay on returning possibly cause people to miss flights?

I am not saying that it is or is not a good idea to sail out of Galveston.

I would just like to point out that almost all of the replies have come from Texans. A few others have come from residents of other states who drive to the port.

I think that this is important information to digest.

:)

I am not saying that it is or is not a good idea to sail out of Galveston.

I would just like to point out that almost all of the replies have come from Texans. A few others have come from residents of other states who drive to the port.

I think that this is important information to digest.

:)

Certainly a valid point... But Texas is a huge state and believe it or not, some of us have flown in for a sailing. We have done it twice. It saves us car time, but ends up taking the same overall time in the end. So now we just drive and save the money to upgrade our cabin.

I will agree that Galveston is much more suited for people driving in rather than flying. But don't feel it's a mistake to book a cruise out of Galveston whether by land or air.

You won't see any argument from me that sailing from Florida (specifically FLL or MIA) is probably easier than any other port in the world. Those two ports have as many or more sailings in one day than Galveston has in a week.

Well, it can impact your cruise if the one before yours is late arriving or delayed for a day. We were on Emerald Princess last Feb and we didn't leave the ship until 2pm because of the fog. The new passengers were not allowed to arrive at the port until 5 PM - OK if you drive, but a real problem if you fly in. We got really lucky with our flight out as there were weather delays throughout Texas and our flight that was originally scheduled for 2 pm didn't leave until after 6 pm.