Seapass card?? No credit Card

ysarhen

Not sure if this is an option for you but if you have a visa debit card I believe you can use that as well, it would just take the funds from your checking account....

I always use a Visa debit card with no problem.

The problem with most debit cards are the holds that are put on your account that may tie up money well after the cruise. It really depends on how your financial institution handles pre authorizations.

What I do is set my onboard account as a cash account and call up Gifts and Gear and use my debit card to pre purchase OBC. The OBC is posted the second day of the cruise and as pointed out, Royal will let you charge up to 500.00 before asking for any money.

Hi, it's our first cruise on March. We don't have a credit card, can we just put in cash on our seapass? Thanks in advance

Numerous threads on this over time.

Yes, you can do this. You can charge up $500 before being asked to pay down.

However, most posters, myself included, trying to be helpful, strongly advise getting a credit card. If you had any kind of emergency, you would probably need a credit card. If you missed the ship, had an accident, medical problems, etc. as examples.

I would not travel anywhere without a credit card, let alone out of country.

You don't have to use it, but if you have a checking account I would strongly recomend you at least get a debit card (VISA or MasterCard). As others have said, the $500 rule for an on board cash account applies.

In addition to my SeaPass and ID, I always carry one card and $20 with me in port. Just in case of an emergency. It's much better to carry a card than a large amount of cash.

Enjoy your cruise.

The problem with most debit cards are the holds that are put on your account that may tie up money well after the cruise. It really depends on how your financial institution handles pre authorizations.

What I do is set my onboard account as a cash account and call up Gifts and Gear and use my debit card to pre purchase OBC. The OBC is posted the second day of the cruise and as pointed out, Royal will let you charge up to 500.00 before asking for any money.

Just double-checking as this is the option I'm planning to use... If I over-buy OBC and have it left over, I can get it at Guest Services the final night, correct?

not meaning to hijack the thread but how much?

really depends on your spending habits.

or if you prepay as much before you go

I prepay my tips. So I would put 100.00 to hold for incidentals if i want a soda. Very rare do we purchase anything on the ship today

But we also have cruised a lot

Pictures. drinking, bingo. souverneirs-- could all add up over the week

You don't have to use it, but if you have a checking account I would strongly recomend you at least get a debit card (VISA or MasterCard). As others have said, the $500 rule for an on board cash account applies.

In addition to my SeaPass and ID, I always carry one card and $20 with me in port. Just in case of an emergency. It's much better to carry a card than a large amount of cash.

Enjoy your cruise.

I get a Visa travel card at AAA. You put how much money you want on it and you can add more on line. We just returned from Cancun and this is what we took and it worked great. It isn't tied to you personal checking account so I felt better using that option. If there is still money left on it when you return home, you can use it when you get home.

I get a Visa travel card at AAA. You put how much money you want on it and you can add more on line. We just returned from Cancun and this is what we took and it worked great. It isn't tied to you personal checking account so I felt better using that option. If there is still money left on it when you return home, you can use it when you get home.

That's a great idea! Are there any fees? Can you use it in an ATM to get cash?

When you add more cash online, I assume it's from your checking account? How long does the refill take?

I dont think cruise lines take the visa prepaid cards unless its tied to a bank.

Doing this on a land vacation is so much different on a cruise ship CHeck first before you put money on a card that might not be accepted

Just double-checking as this is the option I'm planning to use... If I over-buy OBC and have it left over, I can get it at Guest Services the final night, correct?

Yes, you can get it in cash the last night :) I always go late, right before I turn in for the night and never find the long lines people talk about.

not meaning to hijack the thread but how much?

Royal lets you charge up to $500 per cabin before making you come down and actually put money on the account.

many other lines have a requirement of $100 per person per day.

so just do a rough estimate of what you think you will spend on board and plan accordingly since the last night the lines to pay everything off in full will be stupid long,

I dont think cruise lines take the visa prepaid cards unless its tied to a bank.

Doing this on a land vacation is so much different on a cruise ship CHeck first before you put money on a card that might not be accepted

They will not allow a prepaid card presented to guarantee your SeaPass account, but they will accept it for payment on a cash account.

This will not work on Royal Caribbean. :o Unless you are just using the card at the ATM to get cash. Guest Services cannot and does not take prepaid Visa cards for whatever reason.

Edited by ryano

This will not work on Royal Caribbean. :o Unless you are just using the card at the ATM to get cash. Guest Services cannot and does not take prepaid Visa cards for whatever reason.

Yes they will accept it for payment only on your cash account.

They will not allow a prepaid card presented to guarantee your SeaPass account, but they will accept it for payment on a cash account.

It may vary from ship to ship? Or even depend on who is working the GS counter? A person in front of me tried this and they told him they cannot accept prepaid Visa cards at all.

It may vary from ship to ship? Or even depend on who is working the GS counter? A person in front of me tried this and they told him they cannot accept prepaid Visa cards at all.

The problem may be perception on GS part. They have been told not to accept a prepaid card to guarantee a SeaPass account, so they transfer that logic to a payment. They also see no name on the card and reject it because of that. But... They should allow it for payments only. That's a card acceptance rule Visa has.

The technicality is a prepaid card will not accept a pre-authorization that RCI typically does daily to guarantee a SeaPass card. But there is no reason why a straight payment will not work.

We all know RCI is consistently inconsistent. But I'm sure if that's the ONLY card you have, and you owe them $500 on your cash account, they will find a way to use that card to get paid. I wouldn't want to throw that kind of a wrench into RCI's policies, but there are millions of unbanked consumers out there that live on these cards. :cool:

The really weird part is RCI will cash an unguaranteed check, but sometimes will refuse a payment that is guaranteed with a prepaid card. Odd.

Edited by steveru621

Correct, they do not accept prepaid Visa cards. The OP should either buy OBC or bring enough cash to cover their expenses.

Yes, you can get it in cash the last night :) I always go late, right before I turn in for the night and never find the long lines people talk about.

Awesome, thanks! I have some OBC from the deals going when I booked the cruise, and I don't plan to spend a lot, but it would be nice to have the money there so I don't have to worry about it.

Correct, they do not accept prepaid Visa cards. The OP should either buy OBC or bring enough cash to cover their expenses.

They have accepted them from me, it was last year but they took it. I had one given as a gift and used it for payment. I just set it up as a cash account then on the last day went and used it to pay off the account. You wouldn't be able to set it up from the start on the website but it is possible or at least was.

One thing about those that I didn't know, the person that gave it to me did some research and a lot of those can't be used outside of the country. They picked one that could be used internationally and work like a charm. G.S didn't even question it when I handed it over, just ran it and gave me the receipt.