Cruise Document???...Marriage Cerificates

bre

So, we are taking two of my sister in laws, on a cruise this spring. They do not have passports. They are not travelers (this will be their first ever big trip. They are in their sixities and we are very excited for them). We are planning on bringing their birth certificates. However, I have had some tell me they will need their marriage certificates as well. Does anyone KNOW, if this is so? They have both been divorced, for decades, and will be a pain to track down. But we will if it is necessary.

So, we are taking two of my sister in laws, on a cruise this spring. They do not have passports. They are not travelers (this will be their first ever big trip. They are in their sixities and we are very excited for them). We are planning on bringing their birth certificates. However, I have had some tell me they will need their marriage certificates as well. Does anyone KNOW, if this is so? They have both been divorced, for decades, and will be a pain to track down. But we will if it is necessary.

You're going to get different advice from people and nothing definitive (even though some will state their opinions as fact). You'll be told that "I've cruised 20 times and have never needed it!" and "They understand women often change their names when they get married!" My experience is that they don't often ask for a marriage certificate or other document that shows the name change trail. In a dozen cruises, I was asked for my marriage certificate once. But, the point is, I WAS asked for it once. I did have it with me (because I'm a better safe than sorry kind of traveler) and asked what would have happened if I didn't and was told I would have been denied boarding. It's true that the vast majority of women who travel with their birth certificates and have a current last name that doesn't match that BC don't have an issue. But, it's also true that every once in a while they do ask to see it.

You're going to get different advice from people and nothing definitive (even though some will state their opinions as fact). You'll be told that "I've cruised 20 times and have never needed it!" and "They understand women often change their names when they get married!" My experience is that they don't often ask for a marriage certificate or other document that shows the name change trail. In a dozen cruises, I was asked for my marriage certificate once. But, the point is, I WAS asked for it once. I did have it with me (because I'm a better safe than sorry kind of traveler) and asked what would have happened if I didn't and was told I would have been denied boarding. It's true that the vast majority of women who travel with their birth certificates and have a current last name that doesn't match that BC don't have an issue. But, it's also true that every once in a while they do ask to see it.

While all of this is true I have never heard of anyone denied boarding because they didn't have their marriage certificate. We always brought ours and we have not been asked for it.

OP, they should be able to get a copy from the state they were married in.

And of course this all presupposes they are US citizens born in the US and are sailing on a closed loop cruise.

While all of this is true I have never heard of anyone denied boarding because they didn't have their marriage certificate. We always brought ours and we have not been asked for it.

I haven't either, but that doesn't mean it's never happened. :o As I said, I was asked for it once in 12 cruises. Really glad I had it with me!

Personally in this situation I would carry all the following for each:-

Birth Certificate

Drivers Licence or other Government Photo ID

Marriage Certificate

Divorce Certificate

However I say that because their Birth Certificates may well be in different names to the rest of the documents and to the names used in booking the cruise for them.

Mike

NZ Pom!!

If you have time, it might be worthwhile to have them get passport cards. They are about $50.00 and allow for travel to/from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Mexico...most cruise stops in North America. That way they won't have to worry about carrying all that other paperwork with them. Just an idea...

~Joanne

If you have time, it might be worthwhile to have them get passport cards. They are about $50.00 and allow for travel to/from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Mexico...most cruise stops in North America. That way they won't have to worry about carrying all that other paperwork with them. Just an idea...

~Joanne

Just to avoid confusion if someone doesn't know......

If you travel with birth certificate, driver's license and passport card, should you become ill or have an emergency and need to fly home, you cannot fly internationally without a passport. Passport card does not cover for international flights.

If you have the time, why not have them get a passport and not have to worry if they have the proper documents.

I just sent my in for about the 4th or 5th renewal. Very easy.

Many will tell you not to worry and that nothing will happen. It can and does happen. If they don't have the same name on current DL and BC, carry whatever documents are required to make sure the differences are covered. No one on this board can tell you that you won't be denied boarding. Why take any chances if it can be addressed in advance. Enjoy your cruise.

It is generally not the cruise line that asks for the marriage license at check in. CBP "recommends" on their website that a "bridging" document be carried to trace name changes, and they may ask for one at disembarkation, which could cause a delay.

Please start here:

https://www.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

This is the official information from NCL. If you have questions beyond that, call them.

Here is the definitive part:

They must have a certified birth certificate and a photo ID such as a drivers license.

Here is the maybe part:

They might need some document(s) showing how they got from the last name that they were born with to the name that they currently use. Probably a marriage certificate. (If multiple marriages then divorce papers and multiple marriage certificates.)

I don't believe that NCL says that they may or may not need the marriage license in their FAQ or anywhere else. I would think it would be a big stretch for them to deny boarding for someone that doesn't have a document that the cruise line doesn't require, or even mention on the website.

I don't believe that NCL says that they may or may not need the marriage license in their FAQ or anywhere else. I would think it would be a big stretch for them to deny boarding for someone that doesn't have a document that the cruise line doesn't require, or even mention on the website.

Can you show me where, on the website, it says that Non-Americans need to carry a physical copy of their ESTA when travelling Quebec to Boston? Or where it says the actual requirements for Argentinian Reciprocity Documents.

Mike

Can you show me where, on the website, it says that Non-Americans need to carry a physical copy of their ESTA when travelling Quebec to Boston? Or where it says the actual requirements for Argentinian Reciprocity Documents.

Mike

It does say that travelers are responsible for having proper required travel documents and even outlines what those documents are for US citizens. Since when has a marriage license been a required travel document?

A copy of the divorce decree will do just as well as the marriage certificate if that is easier to come by.

The women are divorced, did they go back to using their maiden names? Then there is absolutely no problem because their identification will match the birth certificates.

No..no married woman's name will be the same as her BC. They will be looking at the birth dates on BC and DL. You don't need a marriage certificate.

Wrong assumption. There are a lot of married women who do NOT change their names, me included.

Thank you all... I will pass along, your thoughts.

You got some really good advice. Good luck sorting it all out. On the bright side, the SIL may get hooked on cruising as many of us do, and will want to have passports and/or the other documentation required so they can become regular cruisers.

I would side on the safe side and have the marriage and divorce documents just in case they are needed. Everyone would feel terrible if they were denied boarding because of two pieces of paper.

I once nearly missed a big trip because of neglect on my part and I sure won't ever do that again.

Wendy