No more production shows?

MLinFL

We just returned from a week aboard the Silhouette. We have been on this ship before and many other of the Celebrity line. One of the things we loved the most on Celebrity over all the other lines we have sailed were their wonderful production shows - often including aerialists. We were greatly disappointed to find out that there were NO production shows. Is this a permanent change for Celebrity entertainment? Anyone know?

We just returned from a week aboard the Silhouette. We have been on this ship before and many other of the Celebrity line. One of the things we loved the most on Celebrity over all the other lines we have sailed were their wonderful production shows - often including aerialists. We were greatly disappointed to find out that there were NO production shows. Is this a permanent change for Celebrity entertainment? Anyone know?

Hi MLinFL,

I'm surprised they didnt have any production shows on your sailing. Celebrity is in the process of rolling out about 20 new production shows fleetwide. We've seen reports of limited production shows (or no shows for a brief period), when the ships are changing over to the new shows. Perhaps they are working on Silhouette now.

Hope this helps !

Edited by Host Andy

It's not that there wasn't any entertainment, but there were not any singing/dancing production shows. We had a couple of comedians, a singer, and 2 groups - a Beatles group and Tenors of Rock.

We also like the production shows on Celebrity but they don't compare with RCCL.

We also like the production shows on Celebrity but they don't compare with RCCL.

We too like the production shows. In our opinion the best RCCL production show we saw was "In The Air". We did a B2B on the Liberty March/April 2011 so we got to see it twice.

Personally, I would gladly change the production shows to the type of shows you described. It is not that the performers in the productions are bad, we have just become tired of them as they all seem to be the same and so scripted to be boring.

The Thanksgiving cruise on Eclipse had three brand new production shows. They were interesting. They no longer have the Cirque type shows but there were some of those type elements in the new shows. They followed a vague storyline, and I'm not sure if I liked them or not. Costumes were wonderful.

I think I read somewhere that there might be a transition period on some ships where they were "between" old shows and new ones.

Often we like the specialty shows (pianists, singers, etc.) better than the production shows, and we also typically attend only about half of them on a two week cruise.

Huh? They are all produced in the same building with the same people. RCCL recently spent some $1M+ to build facilities so they could do their own productions. Maybe someone at Celebrity or RCCL could make it clearer what is happening?

We had three of the new production shows on the Equinox on the December 11th cruise.

We thought the featured singers had very good voices, but I didn't care for the music particularly.

The Ist production show was called Elysium. The voices were excellent, especially Lily-Jane Young. The dancers were very good, and the lighting and costumes were good. The staging was somewhat limited, but I really couldn't understand the plot...it seemed to be something about the conflict between good and evil, but I really couldn't be sure. I enjoyed the show overall, especially the singers.

The second show was Life! I was just really, really disappointed in this production and would have liked to walk out but that's just something I never do. (Even if I don't enjoy a performance, I think the performers deserve the respect of the audience.) I thought the music was really poor, and badly suited to the singers' voices. There was actually nothing about the production that we liked.

I believe there was one other production show called "The Set: a Music Box Marvel" that we didn't see because our dinner in Silk Harvest was somewhat protracted.

There was also a Christmas concert that featured all of the singers, and I really enjoyed that.

There are apparently going to be "18 shows in 18 months". For more information, you can take a look at the postings by Celebrity Cruises Productions on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/18showsin18months?source=feed_text&story_id=811743548943449

"Been wondering what we have been up to lately? Celebrity Cruises Productions and Celebrity Cruises Entertainment is dedicated to reshaping and reinventing Cruise Line Entertainment one new event at a time! ‪#‎TheStudio‬ ‪#‎18Showsin18Months‬ ‪#‎18in18‬ ‪#‎PortvsStarboard‬ ‪#‎CelebrityCruises‬ ‪#‎CelebrityLifeActivities‬ ‪#‎CCP‬ ‪#‎ithappensallaroundyou‬"

Off the Equinox 12-night on January 2... Three new production shows made their appearance. None were of the "broadway" variety. Rather, they featured dancers, singers, and cirque-style performers in highly imaginative and entertaining productions featuring less-familiar music. The older crowd expecting an evening of show tunes were generally disappointed. The younger crowd was generally enthusiastic. There were three male and three female vocalists, all of whom could dance (at least to an extent) and about a half-dozen dancers. Nothing like the old-fashioned shows with four immobile vocalists backed by a dance troupe.

The new shows aren't great, but they are something to do in the evening. They aren't even off Broadway quality....well maybe not even local theater quality but they have nice costumes, bright lights, glitter and some level of talent. You kind of get what celebrity is willing to pay for.....

If you have nothing better to do, then go. If you decide to do something else, you didn't miss the show of the century.

Agree 100%. Royal's shows are far superior to anything we have seen on Celebrity and on the 1/10 Silhouette cruise they only had headliners...no singers/dancers.

Just off Eclipse

3 production shoes on 14/day

Topper (very good)

Chandelier and Rock city - they were ok

With talented performers in the cast, Celebrity could have done better and more with the singers & dancers

Have you seen "City of Dreams" on RCCL? And you'd put THAT above those on X??

If so, thank you for the heads up that I can skip all shows next February!! I've seen better dreck in Six Flags theme parks than "City of Dreams".

We had three of the new production shows on the Equinox on the December 11th cruise.

We thought the featured singers had very good voices, but I didn't care for the music particularly.

The Ist production show was called Elysium. The voices were excellent, especially Lily-Jane Young. The dancers were very good, and the lighting and costumes were good. The staging was somewhat limited, but I really couldn't understand the plot...it seemed to be something about the conflict between good and evil, but I really couldn't be sure. I enjoyed the show overall, especially the singers.

The second show was Life! I was just really, really disappointed in this production and would have liked to walk out but that's just something I never do. (Even if I don't enjoy a performance, I think the performers deserve the respect of the audience.) I thought the music was really poor, and badly suited to the singers' voices. There was actually nothing about the production that we liked.

I believe there was one other production show called "The Set: a Music Box Marvel" that we didn't see because our dinner in Silk Harvest was somewhat protracted.

There was also a Christmas concert that featured all of the singers, and I really enjoyed that.

There are apparently going to be "18 shows in 18 months". For more information, you can take a look at the postings by Celebrity Cruises Productions on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/18showsin18months?source=feed_text&story_id=811743548943449

"Been wondering what we have been up to lately? Celebrity Cruises Productions and Celebrity Cruises Entertainment is dedicated to reshaping and reinventing Cruise Line Entertainment one new event at a time! ‪#‎TheStudio‬ ‪#‎18Showsin18Months‬ ‪#‎18in18‬ ‪#‎PortvsStarboard‬ ‪#‎CelebrityCruises‬ ‪#‎CelebrityLifeActivities‬ ‪#‎CCP‬ ‪#‎ithappensallaroundyou‬"

On EQ earlier this month... after trying to like it, we fiinally walked out on Elyria..nice costumes, great voices, good dancers and acrobatics, nice sets..but the plot if any was hard to follow and just became tedious and grating ...cast worked hard but material was not very good!

The Atrium show Masque was also not for us. .Very well attended.so maybe others liked it...There was lots of dancing and prancing in costumes and masks...no singing. Sound track mostly from Rocky Horror..been there done that, no thank you! Again, the cast worked very hard but material was at best on par with a mediocre high school production ..

Did not bother with Royal Rocks thinking it'd be more of the same,.,

X must have paid alot for this stuff but it falls short..and there no more show like the aerial productiond that used to be on the S class ships...they were great!

Off the Equinox 12-night on January 2... Three new production shows made their appearance. None were of the "broadway" variety. Rather, they featured dancers, singers, and cirque-style performers in highly imaginative and entertaining productions featuring less-familiar music. The older crowd expecting an evening of show tunes were generally disappointed. The younger crowd was generally enthusiastic. There were three male and three female vocalists, all of whom could dance (at least to an extent) and about a half-dozen dancers. Nothing like the old-fashioned shows with four immobile vocalists backed by a dance troupe.

I think the above words about the differences in how the show was received was based on age is very true. I got the message very clearly during my week on the Silhouette that Celebrity is catering to the younger crowd - and there is no problem with that. I just wasn't aware that this was the case. As I am in the "senior" age category, I will choose another cruise line for future cruises. We were on Oceania at Christmas and that probably is better suited for us, although it is rather pricey. I guess I will have to do some "research" (book another cruise) to see if Holland America and Princess still meet our needs.

MLinFL

Sailed Equinox for Thanksgiving. Entertainers (IMO) were bad. Many cruisers walked out. One poor production number last of cruise. Was told by Celebrity that Celebrity was going to produce shows, no longer contract for shows. Not sure why decline in entertainment :confused:

Personally, I would gladly change the production shows to the type of shows you described. It is not that the performers in the productions are bad, we have just become tired of them as they all seem to be the same and so scripted to be boring.

Yes. This!

We were on Silhouette for the 1/10 sailing. One night the orchestra did a big band set in Ensemble Lounge, and when I asked, was told that the new cast had arrived that day and that the new shows were being set up for the next 2 weeks!

By the way, so glad that Sirens on Summit is going!