Definition of "Fine Jewelry?"

BIG_Steve

What constitutes Fine Jewelry? Bought the wife a ring on ship a few years ago, and put it on the customs form. It was below the limit, so no problems. But the agent asked me if I bought any fine jewelry. I said I bought this ring for $XXX.00 he looked at the form, and let us go.

Just wondering what exactly "Fine Jewelry" is.

Thanks.

Of course if you are over allowance you have to declare everything you purchased but when you hear the question phrased that way they would be looking for something approaching five digits. I gather some people forget to declare the $25,000 engagement ring they are wearing. It's just like how some people can forget what they packed in their suitcase.:)

have a great cruise

This question got me wondering, so I took to Google.

First I looked through what the US Customs website had to say...and there was no mention of "fine" jewelry there. The only thing mentioned was the prohibition on importing "blood diamonds" and the requirement of a special form if someone is importing more than $2,500.00 worth of jewelry for commercial reasons.

So then I went looking for a general definition of "Fine Jewelry" and found that even professionals in the jewelry industry can't agree! http://www.jewellermagazine.com/Article.aspx?id=2329

It seems it all comes down to an individual's interpretation of how THEY define "Fine" jewelry!

What constitutes Fine Jewelry? Bought the wife a ring on ship a few years ago, and put it on the customs form. It was below the limit, so no problems. But the agent asked me if I bought any fine jewelry. I said I bought this ring for $XXX.00 he looked at the form, and let us go.

Just wondering what exactly "Fine Jewelry" is.

Thanks.

fine jewelry is pure metal( all gold, silver or platinum, not coated over steel or other non precious metal) and mined gemstones or oyster made pearls. not factory made

would also include high end watches.

*secrets the Customs people never tell you*: they would rather you declare up front. unless you are bringing back tens of thousand or more, they have no interest or desire to waste your time( and theirs) with charging you the fees.

LIE about it, and you are hosed.

they are less lenient on businesses. but Joe Vacationer who just bought his lovely bride an anniversary pressie for putting up with him for all those years, not so anal.

I spent a (LARGE) sum of money on my last cruise. I handed both the customs form and the declaration from the shop with our passports. he glanced at the declaration, didn't even bother turning over the customs form and sent us on our merry way. I was well over my legal allowed limit to bring into the country. I fully expected to be whipping out the charge card.

I remember learning the difference once time while I was a teenager shopping with my younger brother for our mom for Christmas. We thought about getting her some earrings from Nordstrom and we went and looked around the jewelry counters. Well one "lady" told us, "This is the FINE jewelry counter." and when I stared at her blankly, she pointed to a price tag and walked away. LOL

Fine jewelry is stuff a kid shouldn't be able to afford to buy their moms. JK

I think fine jewelry is real gold, platinum, real diamonds and gems. Not silver, not "genuine cubic zirconia" (I've actually had someone say that to me.)

Also depends on your customs limits and whether or not they want to do the paperwork. Duty amount v time.

Also loose stones and empty settings are at a different duty limit than whole rings.