Dress Code

eliana

For breakfast and lunch you will see everything.....most people dress for their excursion or, in the case of a sea day, whatever they find comfortable....jeans, shorts, etc. Just no swim suits in the restaurants. The magic hour for dress code is 6.

• 3 months later...

Hello. The information on this message board is very helpful overall so thank you for your participation. My wife and I will be on the Spirit from Venice to Rome. It is a 9-night cruise without sea days, although we have 3 overnights in Venice (2, although the second night is technically a late night departure) and Dubrovnik. When I check My.Silversea, only the third night is specified as formal. All other nights have no dress code information. I have read in another thread that overnights and late night departures have casual evening dress codes. Is there a certain pattern that I can infer based on this information? First two nights (Venice), fifth night (Dubrovnik), and last night are "smart casual" with the remainder informal (excepting the third formal night of course). The table provided in another thread specifies 3 casual nights, but the itinerary seems to suggest 4.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by lchoi98

I don't know where I fit into all this.

I have never cruised SS but am aware of the dress code. I obviously found it acceptable as I booked the cruise.

However ... If i were to take a tux and associated bits and bobs from the UK to the Caribbean for a 'one night use' then SWMBO would need to take an appropriate formal gown and such ..... ergo another suitcase to cope with.

I will have a dark suit and a blazer and smart slacks.

What I will not do .... and this is purely personal .... is wear a jacket without a tie.

I wouldn't dream of going anywhere smart without a collar and tie.

Just me I suppose.

Someone said it was quite fashionable to go 'open necked' so I asked them who decided that this was the case? Did someone wake up one morning and think "today open neck shirts will be fashionable!'.😀

It was suggested that I should consider taking my Monkey Jacket / Mess jacket and wearing that but it seems ostentatious.

I'm sure we'll cope and not upset anyone .... and more to the point not be upset by anyone.

Mike

I have never cruised SS but am aware of the dress code. I obviously found it acceptable as I booked the cruise. I'm sure we'll cope and not upset anyone .... and more to the point not be upset by anyone. Mike

Good Luck!! to Mike in having your first Silversea cruise. Glad that you have such a good, positive, flexible attitude and approach. From our June experience on the Silver Spirit, the two nights/dates when the formal night would be as posted on MySilversea got adjusted a little. No big deal for us. It all worked out well. The staff on the ship have the final decision as to exact which nights will be formal. We did much in LaTerrazza that we loved for its charming setting and nice food. Let us know any other questions about SS, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

While we enjoyed our voyage on Silversea, we are not rushing back as we found the dress code a little strict. Yes, we dined in our room and other less formal venues, so that was fine. What we didn't appreciate is being told that It's 6:00 and we would not be allowed to stay in the bar lounge without a jacket. This to me was a little excessive, considering no one else was in the lounge area at that time. I know that this doesn't apply to everyone, but I find that the more we travel, the less we want to be dictated to about dressing "formally." For us, at this stage of our lives, it is to travel as unencumbered as possible and to enjoy the experiences of visiting interesting ports and meeting interesting fellow passengers. I think that if you can afford to cruise on Silversea that you know how to dress appropriately and have the clothing to do so and that it doesn't have to include finding room in your luggage for tuxes and formal dresses, which allows me to bring back more things for my children and grandchildren.

While we enjoyed our voyage on Silversea, we are not rushing back as we found the dress code a little strict. Yes, we dined in our room and other less formal venues, so that was fine. What we didn't appreciate is being told that It's 6:00 and we would not be allowed to stay in the bar lounge without a jacket. This to me was a little excessive, considering no one else was in the lounge area at that time. I know that this doesn't apply to everyone, but I find that the more we travel, the less we want to be dictated to about dressing "formally." For us, at this stage of our lives, it is to travel as unencumbered as possible and to enjoy the experiences of visiting interesting ports and meeting interesting fellow passengers. I think that if you can afford to cruise on Silversea that you know how to dress appropriately and have the clothing to do so and that it doesn't have to include finding room in your luggage for tuxes and formal dresses, which allows me to bring back more things for my children and grandchildren.

Here Here. Couldn't have been said better.

Appreciate these added, above comments, background and follow-up. In doing our five cruises with Silversea, we have never taken any tux and/or super formal clothing items. For the first three cruises, I had and used a dark suit. BUT, during our two most recent Silversea cruise, it was only a dark blue sport coat. Things worked fine, including with the dining availabilities at La Terrazza, The Grill, etc. Long-term with many of the cruise lines, including Silversea, there is a recognition that super formality is not what all customers seek and like. It's evolving and slowly changing to make these choices work for a variety of customer preferences.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,508 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I recognize that dress code is a hot button issue. Having said that, I am going to be in the minority (I infer) in saying that I am looking forward to dressing formally. I'm glad there is one cruise line that still does this, even if it's for only one evening (we're taking a 7 day cruise). I know my husband would just as soon not wear a tux, but he's a good sport and graciously agreed to bring his for that single evening, knowing that it will make me happy to see him wear it.

I hope I don't offend anyone with this post, but I've seen too many posts lamenting having to put up with a formal evening (or get room service/avoid the dress-code enforced public areas). I understand that this is an inconvenience for those who don't enjoy it and I'm sorry that there are a few of us holdbacks. But since SS does have formal evenings, I also do hope I'll encourage someone else who wants to wear that long gown that makes her feel beautiful or the tux in which he feels handsome. After all, it's only for a few hours and I have a feeling that formalwear will disappear completely all too soon.

I recognize that dress code is a hot button issue. Having said that, I am going to be in the minority (I infer) in saying that I am looking forward to dressing formally. I'm glad there is one cruise line that still does this, even if it's for only one evening (we're taking a 7 day cruise). I know my husband would just as soon not wear a tux, but he's a good sport and graciously agreed to bring his for that single evening, knowing that it will make me happy to see him wear it.

I hope I don't offend anyone with this post, but I've seen too many posts lamenting having to put up with a formal evening (or get room service/avoid the dress-code enforced public areas). I understand that this is an inconvenience for those who don't enjoy it and I'm sorry that there are a few of us holdbacks. But since SS does have formal evenings, I also do hope I'll encourage someone else who wants to wear that long gown that makes her feel beautiful or the tux in which he feels handsome. After all, it's only for a few hours and I have a feeling that formalwear will disappear completely all too soon.

Well said, we are with you[emoji76]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Napria totally agree with you. It is lovely to get all dressed up and enjoy the ambiance that is Silversea.

My husband normally takes his kilt and yes it adds to the luggage but the dress code is formal and here in Scotland that means either Kilt, Dinner Suit or a dark suit.

We are in the age range 60-65 so not old and stuffy!

As previously mentioned there are choices for selecting Cruise Lines that suit the individual.

I can understand why people prefer not to bring formal dress on a cruise. What I don't understand, considering that there are alternatives to the MDR (which is the only venue where Formal is expected), are those that recognise that a dress code is in place but try to circumvent or even ignore it. This is really just plain rude to those that enjoy the formality. On any cruise fewer than 20% of the nights are designated formal. Is it really too much to ask, if you wish to ignore the formal dress, to go to one of the other venues on those nights? Is it? Is it really?

With so many cruise lines to choose from, folks should be able to find one that fits their specific desires regarding dress. SS obviously is not for everyone! Having said that, there are many of us who love the line and continually book SS cruises. We enjoy dressing formally from time to time. Here is hoping SS continues to meet our desires.

Once again a small, very vocal, minority is trying to change something that the vast majority of SS guests like and see as a positive usp for the line. As has been said elsewhere there are a number of other lines that are less formal if that really is an issue with guests.

We have travelled extensively with SS over the last five years and interacted with hundreds of other guests, however I have met probably less than 10 guests in that time who expressed dissatisfaction with the dress code.

Non of the above is intended to stop others voicing their opinion, however we do get a bit fed up with the repeated broken record.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I suspect some enterprising cruise line with come up with an all blue jeans, all the time ship which should make many very happy...cut off blue jeans at breakfast; fashionably ripped blue jeans for lunch & designer blue jeans for dinner. "Carnival/NCL/or Royal Caribbean Levi-Strauss"???

Wow, I hadn't expected to see so many supporting replies! I was convinced I was in the minority and would show up in my long evening dress with my husband in his tux, only to find we would be the sole couple dressed formally. It's nice to know that may not be the case!

By the way, Eginjock, I'm in my early 50's, and I certainly don't consider myself old or stuffy! My husband is in his early 60's and he can be quite stuffy at times, lol.

Just returned from our 9-day cruise in the Mediterranean. The dress code was no issue.

Wore a dark suit for our 1 formal night and the same sport coat every other night. Casual during the day. I wore shorts for breakfast and lunch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk