Short Zuiderdam Review - Feb 5 to 15

GmaPajama

In spite of new physical difficulties, we went ahead with our planned Zuiderdam cruise. It was wonderful, and we enjoyed most every minute of it. The difficulty I mention is a speech and swallow deficiency for my DH. Because of the swallow problems, we choose to dine in our cabin - and it worked out very well. We have never used room service like that, and I was astounded that everything was delivered exactly as it would have been presented in the MDR. Hot was hot, cold was cold, and everything was attractively plated. Sadly, there was no way to keep ice cream from melting before we got to it, but we did discover we like very soft ice cream.

We took a Signature Suite this time, our first, and were surprised how comfortable it was. We normally sail in the Neptune Suites, so expected to feel like the space was much smaller ... but it was just fine. Definitely more roomy than we expected. We did miss some of the drawer space, but got by fine by using the closet shelving instead. The verandah table was smaller than the one for Neptune Suites, but it was large enough to accomodate us for meals - which is all we needed.

The internet was amazing. We had great reception and were able to log on and off with nary a problem. In fact, we over-purchased because we're so used to burning up minutes logging in. We ended up donating nearly an hour of unused time.

The ship was in excellent condition, and I could not find fault with anything I saw. We weren't out and about as much as usual, but the quiet time in our cabin and on the verandah fit us perfectly this time. We did have to go into code red on the 3rd day. Never any fun, but the crew made sure it had as little impact upon the guests as was possible. The code red had not been lifted when we disembarked, so I suppose they are still dealing with it.

There was a port change. Costa Rica had rough seas, and the streets near the port were flooded because of recent rains. We called at Grand Cayman instead - which we prefer anyway.

Although the Singers and Dancers put on a couple of very good shows, I felt like HAL could have tried to provide better entertainment. We had two production numbers, a super bowl party, a movie, BB King, three stand alone acts, and the usual variety show on the last night. Don't get me wrong ... we did enjoy the shows. It just felt like there should be something more. Something exciting.

We had a couple of phone calls urging us to attend the Mariner's reception, which we declined. Speech and swallow are just too difficult for DH. Strangely, we later received two 4-star pins in our mailbox, along with a congratulatory note. We've been 4-star for our last 6 cruises, but I guess someone didn't know? We did receive all our benefits though, and that was all we really cared about this time.

So, that's about it. We came home totally refreshed and ready to get back to real life.

I'm glad you enjoyed Zuiderdam despite your limitations and code red. I was on Zuidy Jan. 4-15 for the second time and just loved her. I agree on the shows and we actually like the Vista Signature suites better than Neptunes. I'm sorry to hear the Costa Rica port was flooded. That was a lovely day there.

Enjoyed reading your review-we love the Zuiderdam and feel very comfortable on her. Glad your room service experience was so positive. We have never had any issue that I recall.

I do think HAL lacks in the entertainment department but we always find something to do.

Welcome back and glad you are refreshed! That's what cruising is all about.

Thanks so much for your review. It sounds like everything worked out really well for you and your husband, and that is what it's all about!

We will be on the Zuiderdam next month, and are very much looking forward to it. Your review makes it sound like we will be very happy :)

What a great review you wrote. Getting so excited about our cruize on Feb 26 on the Zuiderdam and you made my day reading your lovely and positive review.

Would you mind telling me more about the wifi - internet plan you purchased? I keep getting conflicting accounts as to the prices and I really have to budget for it due to keeping contact open at home. Really would appreciate current prices! DonnaB

Thanks for the great review, I am happy you had a nice time. I was glad to hear your review of internet services. We are curious about costs and places on the ship to expect to sign on. I do enjoy my internet and we are expecting our fourth grandchild soon so we want to be in contact with our family. We are taking our tablet and hope to sign on in our Neptune Suite.