Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov

Kenato

We are finding it a hard decision as to whether to take the Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov optional tours offered by Avalon. Both appear to be very attractive and have a lot to see and if I am taking a long bus ride I want to be sure I am choosing the best. I know it is very subjective but I would be interested in the views of others who have visited these locations.

We are finding it a hard decision as to whether to take the Salzburg or Cesky Krumlov optional tours offered by Avalon. Both appear to be very attractive and have a lot to see and if I am taking a long bus ride I want to be sure I am choosing the best. I know it is very subjective but I would be interested in the views of others who have visited these locations.

My DH and I leave 8 weeks from Thursday, and because of being able to get a great deal via points, on Delta, are flying roundtrip through Munich. We are taking the train to Salzburg for 2 days, then continuing to Vienna, where we will stay for one night before boarding our Avalon cruise. We plan to do the Cesky Krumlov excursion, as a result.

If you aren't traveling until after that, I'll happily come back and give my take on both.

Robin

My DH and I leave 8 weeks from Thursday, and because of being able to get a great deal via points, on Delta, are flying roundtrip through Munich. We are taking the train to Salzburg for 2 days, then continuing to Vienna, where we will stay for one night before boarding our Avalon cruise. We plan to do the Cesky Krumlov excursion, as a result.

If you aren't traveling until after that, I'll happily come back and give my take on both.

Robin

We are not going until end of May so if you are back before then would welcome your views.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Cesky Krumlov.

1. Salzburg is relatively easy to get to by train. Cesky Krumlov is not that easy to get to, so go when you have the chance. It's like walking in a fairy tale.

2. Cesky Krumlov has even more old world charm than Salzburg.

3. If not included in your tour, go up the castle for a tour and walk across the high bridge to the gardens for great views over the town.

Cesky remains one of my top favourite memories of travel over seven continents. The ballroom, visited at the end of the castle tour is glorious and hilarious, an absolute highlight. The TIC (across the river from the castle, then up the hill to the town square) offers an excellent walking tour of the town.

We stayed overnight in a delightful hotel beside the river. Dining on the river bank with a gypsy band playing on the bridge above was a joy.

I haven't been to Salzburg.

Edited by HDS

Have been to both and would definitely recommend Cesky Krumlov. Salzburg is fairly similar to other towns with Baroque architecture. Cesky Krumlov is unlike any place else I've seen in Western or Central Europe. Like a medieval, romantic fairy tale. The restaurants along the river are a perfect spot to enjoy a Czech beer and enjoy the ambiance.

Never been to Cesky Krumlov, but Salzburg is a must see. The Sound of Music was filmed there and Mozart's house is there. The castle is amazing as well. If you don't see Salzburg, go back and see it as well as the nearby Berchtesgaden, Germany.

We loved Salzburg, but it is very crowded. We were there for a week once and it was lovely. When we went for a day, it was rushed, crowded and unpleasant. Cesky Krumlov is a must. The town, gardens and scenery are lovely. If your tour does not include a tour of the castle, the first thing you should do is get to the castle to purchase a ticket to tour it. Tickets are timed and sell out quickly. If I only have a day trip from a cruise, Cesky Krumlov would be my choice, no question.

We loved Salzburg, but it is very crowded. We were there for a week once and it was lovely. When we went for a day, it was rushed, crowded and unpleasant. Cesky Krumlov is a must. The town, gardens and scenery are lovely. If your tour does not include a tour of the castle, the first thing you should do is get to the castle to purchase a ticket to tour it. Tickets are timed and sell out quickly. If I only have a day trip from a cruise, Cesky Krumlov would be my choice, no question.

I believe that the tours are not offered year round. We were there in early Nov and the castle was closed for the winter.. However, the tower was open and we could walk around the outside of the castle. If one needs more details, there is a website for the castle.

We have also been to both, and I would definitely say leave Salzburg for another time! I'd also recommend going at a non-tourist time of year if possible. Salzburg was a very touristy place and that was many years ago.

Cesky Krumlov was a delight!! We were on our own, without a tour guide, but still really enjoyed it. You will have a great time, with a guide to fill you in on the history. It is, as another poster mentioned, a place unlike any other I've ever seen.

One of my favorite memories is of wandering into a small local lunch spot (not like our cafes at all!!) that had just a couple of long tables, and we joined the local folks for lunch. They were so fun!! And so helpful with so much info---including helping us decide what to eat!

Yep, go to Cesky!!