Dining Room Info?

txwriter

We are just a party of two and have picked traditional seating. We have only been on one cruise before and enjoyed meeting interesting people at our table that we would never have met otherwise. I don't remember the exact number of people at the table, but it was fairly large, and we sat with a wall to our back. This was years ago and on another cruise line.

What, in your opinion, is the best table size to ensure a better location? (I prefer to sit on perimeters.)

I remember windows in the dining room for that trip. Are there windows in the Princess dining rooms?

We are just a party of two and have picked traditional seating. We have only been on one cruise before and enjoyed meeting interesting people at our table that we would never have met otherwise. I don't remember the exact number of people at the table, but it was fairly large, and we sat with a wall to our back. This was years ago and on another cruise line.

What, in your opinion, is the best table size to ensure a better location? (I prefer to sit on perimeters.)

I remember windows in the dining room for that trip. Are there windows in the Princess dining rooms?

Yes, there are windows. But depending on the time of year and where you are cruising, it will often be dark outside and the curtains closed.

Different size tables are all over the dining room, so asking for a particular size in no way will ensure that a location near a window will be assigned.

My preference is for a table for 8 (with only adults). On one cruise, we had a table for eight that included a family (mother, father, two sons around 9 and 12.) I'd probably ask to be switched after the first night if this happened again.

My preference is for a table for 8 (with only adults). On one cruise, we had a table for eight that included a family (mother, father, two sons around 9 and 12.) I'd probably ask to be switched after the first night if this happened again.

For just this reason, we requested a table for 4 with our 10 and 13 year old boys. We would not want to spoil anyone's dinners, nor would we want to spoil our dinner with people who aren't receptive to kids. It's a win win for everybody :D

OP asked for a recommendation for a table to meet other people, so I am responding to that.

I recommend a table for 8. A table for 10 is too large for everyone to talk together. A table of 6 is probably the best for conversation. However, I recommend 8 becuase often one couple will be missing for dinner - maybe eating at a speciality restaurant or at the buffet - and sometimes two couples may be missing. Sometimes one couple doesn't even show up in traditional dining for the entire cruise. If you have a table for 6 and one couple is missing, then you only have 4. A table of 8 gives a better chance that you will have someone to talk with.

I always ask for the largest table available which is usually 10 though we just as often get put at a table for 8, we have never found it to be too noisy and always try to get everyone to agree to move spots every night to mix up the conversation so you get to know everyone at the table by the end of the 3rd night or so...6 just isn't enough cause if one couple is very quiet or not pleasant that only leaves you with 1 other couple to enjoy your dinner conversation with....

Thank you all for the many great responses. :):):)

My travel agent booked us at a table for six, and that looks like a great option based on the feedback. I am taking my mom to Alaska next year, and we will have 7-10 days pre cruise on our own with lots of tables for two. I dont mind a long dinner--it is part of the cruise experience in my mind. I thought about switching to anytime, but having the same table and same time really appeals to me this time. I was just needing a little more information. I think we will either stick to the six top or possibly switch to an eight person table based on the fact that so many cruisers do choose to eat in other venues now. On our last cruise, and our only cruise before our upcoming one, there was no such thing as specialty dining--just MDR, room service, or buffets. So many things to consider nowadays.

I think you will be happy with a table for 6. They try to put similar in age people at a table but it does not always work out that way. Assigning a retired couple to share a table with a young family usually would not work out. As you get closer to your cruise date, it will become more difficult to change your request and get a confirmation back as opposed to being put on a wait list. So if you think you want to change, do it now if it is not already too late.

Once you get on the ship and find out at the first dinner that one or more of your assigned table mates is highly objectionable, you can always ask to be moved to another table. They will do their best to do it. Sometimes there can be someone you just cannot tolerate for various reasons. Just request to be moved.

We prefer a table for 2, the tables are close together so you can talk to the people to both sides and you don't have to wait for others to finish a course before you get yours.

If you want a table for two to be alone, that's great.

However, if you want to talk with others, I believe you're better off at a larger table. The people at the tables for two next to yours may want a private dinner - that may be why they are at a table for two. If you are at a larger table, you are eating with people who also want conversation with others.