Electrical / Chargers?

ww121

You should be able to use the one that came with your device ..most cruise lines have 110V plugs just like in the USA

If you are a European ship then you may need a different plug adapter

What kind of chargers can be used on board? any special plugs required for computers, etc?

No special plug is required and do not try to use a surge protector, they tend to overheat on the ships and are very dangerous, plus they are unneeded because of the way the electrical circuits on board work.

You should be able to use the one that came with your device ..most cruise lines have 110V plugs just like in the USA

If you are a European ship then you may need a different plug adapter[/quote

And Canada, for that matter! :D

Cato :)

What kind of chargers can be used on board? any special plugs required for computers, etc?

Most of the ships we have been on have both US and Euro receptacles. I've also found that most all of our chargers work on 220V (the Euro standard), so with a small Euro to US adapter, you may have another outlet you can use.

Most of the ships we have been on have both US and Euro receptacles. I've also found that most all of our chargers work on 220V (the Euro standard), so with a small Euro to US adapter, you may have another outlet you can use.

I was going to say something similar. When I was on the Island Princess, I swear one of the outlets in the main part of the cabin, by the desk, was not North American. I vaguely remember British, but I could be wrong. I always have an adapter in my cable bag that will allow me to plug in my US chargers into an Euro socket. If someone can say that the "other" socket on board is British, I can pop that one in, too.

I use one of these to charge our iThings and other small electronics:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V33RCTU?keywords=usb%20charger&qid=1456945961&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Over the years, one of my main considerations in selecting small electronic things is it USB rechargeable or if it takes standard batteries.

For travel the only two things I have that needs a AC plug is the battery charger for my DSLR batteries and my laptop.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V33RCTU?keywords=usb%20charger&qid=1456945961&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

Over the years, one of my main considerations in selecting small electronic things is it USB rechargeable or if it takes standard batteries.

For travel the only two things I have that needs a AC plug is the battery charger for my DSLR batteries and my laptop.

Looks very useful, thanks for the link.

Yes, I researched that for another thread, and contacted Zilu directly. That particular unit is not surge protected, but beware that other Zilu products are. That unit appears to be their only non-surge protected USB device.

Yes, I researched that for another thread, and contacted Zilu directly. That particular unit is not surge protected, but beware that other Zilu products are. That unit appears to be their only non-surge protected USB device.

Thanks for thet.

Most chargers will work with both 110V 60hz AC and 230V 50hz AC but not all.

On all ships that I have been on, except Majesty of the seas, there have been both european 230V 50hz and american 110v 60hz outlets.

We bring a couple of small adaptors from Us to european, that make us able to charge cameras, the GoPro, phones and the tablet at the same time.

It's been noted that any adapters etc be regular (NOT surge protected). Surge protection works on land. Is a hazard onboard. Others can explain the whys.

Most chargers will work with both 110V 60hz AC and 230V 50hz AC but not all.

On all ships that I have been on, except Majesty of the seas, there have been both european 230V 50hz and american 110v 60hz outlets.

We bring a couple of small adaptors from Us to european, that make us able to charge cameras, the GoPro, phones and the tablet at the same time.

While much of Europe does use 50Hz power and North America uses 60Hz power, the two outlets on the ship will provide the same frequency, regardless of voltage or plug configuration. The frequency of power generated is in direct relation to the speed of the generator (and it's diesel engine), so unless they have two generators running at different speeds and powering completely different distribution systems, or have invested in expensive frequency converter drives and again use completely different distribution (wiring) systems, all the power onboard will have the same frequency. In most cases, if you have US electrical appliances, and plug into a 50Hz supply, you won't notice much change. Motors for hair dryers will run a little slower, etc.

While much of Europe does use 50Hz power and North America uses 60Hz power, the two outlets on the ship will provide the same frequency, regardless of voltage or plug configuration. The frequency of power generated is in direct relation to the speed of the generator (and it's diesel engine), so unless they have two generators running at different speeds and powering completely different distribution systems, or have invested in expensive frequency converter drives and again use completely different distribution (wiring) systems, all the power onboard will have the same frequency. In most cases, if you have US electrical appliances, and plug into a 50Hz supply, you won't notice much change. Motors for hair dryers will run a little slower, etc.

Years ago we found old time electric clocks are useless.

Years ago we found old time electric clocks are useless.

Yes, even on ships that produce 60Hz, and a US clock that used the frequency as the "time tick", a ship's frequency varies during the day in response to changes in electrical load, when the engine cannot react as quickly as the electrical generator attached to it can, and the clock will no longer be reliable. Many times, when large consumers are started or stopped, like thrusters, A/C chillers, etc., the flourescent lights will flicker, from changes in frequency, which many take to be voltage spikes, but they aren't. Even the ship's master clock system normally requires resetting by a minute or two daily by the Second Officer.

No special plug is required and do not try to use a surge protector, they tend to overheat on the ships and are very dangerous, plus they are unneeded because of the way the electrical circuits on board work.

Please explain why a surge protector would act differently aboard a modern cruise ship than it would at home if line voltage in and line frequency are the same. It would seem that an in cabin AC power outlet would trip if the load it was subjected to was enough to cause a fire hazard created by excessive load (surge protected multi plug adapters included). I've used a 110 volt Belkin dual USB charger that includes three AC surge protected outlets on many cruises and have never fond it to become even slightly warm. Maybe if we traveled with a six slice toaster we'd be able to report different findings - but we don't.

Some ships might have only one visible 110 V AC outlet in your cabin but look around, often there are one or two more you can access. Your cabin TV is generally a 110 volt US spec TV that gets its power from a not often visible 110 volt AC socket. A multi plug adapter can be plugged in there along with the TV to give you a few more 110 volt power outlets for chargers. Low amperage AC plugs can sometimes be hiding under the bathroom medicine cabinet or vanity to power electric razors, charge an electric tooth brush or power a small night light (hair curlers will trip that plug the second you switch it on so keep curlers in the cabin). One more suggestion, bring a small (6 inch) extension cord and a Euro to US plug adapter because many in cabin AC plug sockets, regardless of their voltage, tend to be recessed. Your 'wall wart' charger isn't going to fit into that recessed receptacle.

Please explain why a surge protector would act differently aboard a modern cruise ship than it would at home if line voltage in and line frequency are the same. It would seem that an in cabin AC power outlet would trip if the load it was subjected to was enough to cause a fire hazard created by excessive load (surge protected multi plug adapters included). I've used a 110 volt Belkin dual USB charger that includes three AC surge protected outlets on many cruises and have never fond it to become even slightly warm. Maybe if we traveled with a six slice toaster we'd be able to report different findings - but we don't.

Some ships might have only one visible 110 V AC outlet in your cabin but look around, often there are one or two more you can access. Your cabin TV is generally a 110 volt US spec TV that gets its power from a not often visible 110 volt AC socket. A multi plug adapter can be plugged in there along with the TV to give you a few more 110 volt power outlets for chargers. Low amperage AC plugs can sometimes be hiding under the bathroom medicine cabinet or vanity to power electric razors, charge an electric tooth brush or power a small night light (hair curlers will trip that plug the second you switch it on so keep curlers in the cabin). One more suggestion, bring a small (6 inch) extension cord and a Euro to US plug adapter because many in cabin AC plug sockets, regardless of their voltage, tend to be recessed. Your 'wall wart' charger isn't going to fit into that recessed receptacle.

The Chief will hopefully come by and validate, but I have seen this document cited before:

http://www.omao.noaa.gov/noaafleetinspection/safety_alerts/Surge%20Suppressors%20USCG%20Safety%20Alert%20April%202013.pdf

Edited by clarea

It is because a ships "ground" and "neutral" are not wired the same as the "ground" and "neutral" in your home, or most places ashore. In your home, the "neutral" wire and the "ground" wire are connected together back at the breaker panel, so they are at the same potential (voltage). That is not the case for ships, for reasons that I've posted many times in the past, and if you're really interested, you can search my past posts. So, with the ground and neutral wires at different potentials, the MOV's that act as the voltage shunting devices in a surge protector will see many, low voltage (below the clamping or protective voltage) "spikes" many of them in the reverse direction to what the MOV was designed to handle. This causes the life expectancy of the MOV to deteriorate, quickly, and can lead to failure of the surge protector, without any real warning. What happens is that the MOV's go into "thermal runaway" and overheat without drawing enough current to trip the breaker.

In addition to the USCG Safety Notice that Bob posted, the NFPA (National Fire Protection Agency) has issued warnings and design limitations on surge protectors in "floating ground" systems, which ships are.

Here is a thread where another CC member questioned me on this, and then went to do research himself, and got information from the experts, and he does a good job of explaining, even though it is fairly technical. See post #10:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2271143

Shipboard wiring is totally different from any other electrical installation, because your "house" (steel and other galvanic metals) is sitting in "battery acid" (sea water), so the systems are designed differently to prevent electrolysis of the hull.

Thanks, I have used the popular Belkin surge supressor on my last cruise before I knew about that being a problem. I just ordered one of these for my cruise next week.