Thoughts about pre tipping?

SheriffJoe

Years ago (prior to the autotip) we would often tip the steward right at the beginning - then we ran into one who didn't even do his job, let alone anything extra. So we started only tipping if they were doing their job and then only after a couple of days of good service.

Now with the autotip things are certainly different (we leave the tips on) but we still give the room steward $20 every couple of days. We do ask for a couple of things that others may not - no feather pillows, two top sheets, fill our champagne bucket morning and night with ice, etc.

We also usually tip the waiters in Anytime if we get good service - they always appreciate the extra. We may also tip certain Head Waiters we know and who will sit with us and have a glass of wine at the end of the night/give us suggestions on certain ports.

Same with bartenders (especially at BOGO as they are running off their feet to keep up) or waiters (usually at Crooners) if we find one we really like and get along with.

Do we throw $100 bills around - no. Do we appreciate good service - definitely. We also have no problem in making their lives a little easier by giving them a few dollars.

On a typical 7 day cruise we probably spend $250 tipping various personnel. Not everyone does, nor should they feel that they have to. It is our decision and we like doing it.

To close, tipping is a personal choice. To be clear we typically tip more than the norm - we tip the maids in hotels, and between 15 and 25% at restaurants or bars for good to great service, and have no problem leaving nothing for poor or bad service.

We choose not to get all involved with how busy or not busy someone is doing thier job. Some of the tip beforehand get everything done straight away at the beginning of the cruise and we don't wonder if it will get done. If isn't done correctly then auto tip reduction might be in order. Its just a different way of doing business, but effective from my experience on cruise vacations.

Well like it or not you are getting involved when you pre tip and take Stewart out of his regular routine.

All my requests get done in a timely manor without an extra push with cash and I never wonder about the small things that we ask for.

This too is effective for our cruise vacation too.

We have never reduced the auto-tip and have never even contemplated it. :(

You can do whatever you want. The OP asked for thoughts on pre tipping, unfortunately as with any question asked on a forum there are answers that some don't want to hear. :cool:

On cruises...tips are traditionally extended at the END of the cruise...on the last evening. There is no need to "pre-tip", or bribe anyone who serves you.

Any prepaid tips or tips charged to your account are given to the staff AFTER your cruise is over.

Tip on the last evening, as is customary.

To me, it seems a little insulting. Isn't that like saying, "I don't trust you to do your job as well as I'd like. Here's some $$ to inspire you."

I'd never tip a waitress before we received our bill. I wouldn't tip my hair stylist until the completion of an appointment. I can't think of a single instance where pre-tipping makes sense.

Well like it or not you are getting involved when you pre tip and take Stewart out of his regular routine.

All my requests get done in a timely manor without an extra push with cash and I never wonder about the small things that we ask for.

This too is effective for our cruise vacation too.

We have never reduced the auto-tip and have never even contemplated it. :(

You can do whatever you want. The OP asked for thoughts on pre tipping, unfortunately as with any question asked on a forum there are answers that some don't want to hear. :cool:

So tipping extra to try to ensure good service is taking the " steward out of his regular routine ". I haven't heard it all but it might be close. I'm sure my extra $50 bucks just throws him for a loop.

I dislike the thought of people who throw their money around getting served before people who are waiting patiently. Service should be good for everyone and people should be served in turn. I would have no hesitation in reporting a waiter or bartender who wasn't serving customers fairly.

To me, it seems a little insulting. Isn't that like saying, "I don't trust you to do your job as well as I'd like. Here's some $$ to inspire you."

I'd never tip a waitress before we received our bill. I wouldn't tip my hair stylist until the completion of an appointment. I can't think of a single instance where pre-tipping makes sense.

I agree.......

The word pompous comes to mind.

I think I would be pretty stoked if someone showered me with extra money, as opposed to feeling insulted. I wish people would throw extra money my way at my job. Been wanting a raise for 8 years now, and if that 's the only way to get it then so be it [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dislike the thought of people who throw their money around getting served before people who are waiting patiently. Service should be good for everyone and people should be served in turn. I would have no hesitation in reporting a waiter or bartender who wasn't serving customers fairly.

Giving your favorite bartender a little extra once in a while isn't so much as the speed of service as the quality of the drinks being served. The same goes for the servers walking around. You would be surprised at the difference it makes.

That's how service works. It's incentive driven, like it or not. Besides, I don't think it getting serviced before anyone. It's to get the little things like ice or extra towels etc. when you want them without asking 4 times throughout the week. I like my room steward to be like I ninja, I don't even want to see him.

I dislike the thought of people who throw their money around getting served before people who are waiting patiently.

Welcome to life.

Good customers frequently get superior attention.

On land as well as ships.

So tipping extra to try to ensure good service is taking the " steward out of his regular routine ". I haven't heard it all but it might be close. I'm sure my extra $50 bucks just throws him for a loop.

LOL I hate it when that happens!!!

Stewart is busy. I have several small things that I would like done as well. I know he will get to them. He has 18 staterooms to handle. Why should I expect him to drop everything just for me because I am waving $20 at him the moment I saw him after boarding? I have never pre tipped and have not had an issue in all our cruises. When Stewart does his job everyday and busts his/her butt. When he/she is a ninja and we wonder how he gets in and out, and our cabin is spotless, he earns every $$ of his salary/tips.We appreciate the hard work. We will tip extra at the end of the cruise. If the service is not up to snuff then no additional tip.

I've had the same experience as you and by being friendly & treating our cabin stewards with dignity & respect I get great service without tipping upon boarding.

On most cruises I give an additional cash tip for great service at the end of a cruise without tipping in advance in an effort to ensure great service.

We have always given an extra tip for anyone that have served us in the dining room and of course our room Stewart and his assistant. Not a pre-tip. We always do this on our last day. They are all unbelievably busy and would never assume that giving them extra at the beginning makes us any more special than other passengers.

Edited by judy.s.anderson.79

Do you bribe your server at a restaurant before the meal. Do you bribe the taxi driver before you get into the taxi. Do you bribe the tour leaders on tours that you take before you take the tour. If not, why do you feel that you should bribe your cabin attendant at the beginning of the cruise. He is paid to do a satisfactory job. If he does an exemplary job, tip him if you wish at the end.

DON

Do you bribe your server at a restaurant before the meal. Do you bribe the taxi driver before you get into the taxi. Do you bribe the tour leaders on tours that you take before you take the tour. If not, why do you feel that you should bribe your cabin attendant at the beginning of the cruise. He is paid to do a satisfactory job. If he does an exemplary job, tip him if you wish at the end.

DON

Those examples are not the same. Those are short interactions that, clearly, warrant some level of tip determined by the immediate service. A pre-cruise tip to a steward or a regular bar tender, in my opinion, helps to ensure better than normal service over the course of a longer, more than one time interaction.

For some, like myself, I haven't participated, nor read too many threads regarding pre-tipping, so this is rather a fresh topic for me, I'm sure as well as others who might be reading but who aren't posting

Having read about this a few times I was wondering about others thoughts and experiences with pre tipping certain people like the cabin attendant and favorite bar bartender to ensure excellent service....

I've been happy with the service I've received without bribing the room steward.

This Topic has been Sooo Over-discussed, BORING...

And the same could be said for 99% of the topics on CC lately. Isn't it great that we all have different opinions and interests? [emoji5]