CRUISE DIRECTORS - Interesting insight

Re-posted from another CC board - written by a cruise director.

Speaking about their personality, I could not help being amused by the previous description of the Diamond Princess CD as ' Mr Death' - always wearing black, day & night and with a Svengali look to boost - efficient but busy and not too keen to talk to pax, apprently.

And how do you rate CD's on the ships in Aussie waters??

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2326071

We had Mark Turner on the Dawn Princess a few times and as soon as we found out he was the CD we knew we were in good hands with a high standard of entertainment.

Some CDs on some of the ships were just ok but Mark is one of the best.

I think the CD sets the tone for the whole cruise. He sets out the program of events an shows according to the talents of his staff.

There is a growing trend that the only time you see the CD is on the Good Morning Show they have on the in cabin TV's . I always used to miss that and there was one cruise where I never saw the CD.:eek:

This can be somewhat subjective. What is great for some is not for others. Wife and I were recently on a cruise overseas (not in Australian waters) and the CD was said to be a very popular and well known Princess CD. Quite frankly I would not be at all concerned if I never cruised with her again.:)

I think the overall best Cd I have come across is Royal's head director Ken Rush who normally starts off on each new ship that Royal bring out. Followed closely by a guy called Fillipe on carnival Splendor a few years back. In 15 cruises I don't think we have had a bad one, but some better than others.

I do think though that the CD job is changing more into a roll of a good delegator as ships become bigger & us passengers have more thirst to be entertained in various forms across many hours of the day. There is just no way a CD can now do the same roll they may have done on a smaller, older ship of years gone by.

The best CD ive had was Bobby Brown on the Radiance of the Seas.

I have to agree with you there, we had him and his wife Becky on our around Australia trip on Radiance in 2012, they worked very well together and were both very approachable and seen frequently around the ship, in 23 cruises haven't had a better CD. Robin:)

I've got to put a vote in for Billy London, currently on Dawn Princess. We've seen him a couple of times, he even remembered us on the second cruise - imagine that. :eek: He is witty, friendly and always happy for a quick chat as he runs about the ship.

Steve.

This can be somewhat subjective. What is great for some is not for others. Wife and I were recently on a cruise overseas (not in Australian waters) and the CD was said to be a very popular and well known Princess CD. Quite frankly I would not be at all concerned if I never cruised with her again.:)

I know who you mean either hated or loved We cruised with her for 76 days in 2008 and will not forget her rudeness to some passengers

Zaltina J is a great attribute for P&O and some CDs can certainly make you feel more included but generally a CD doesn't really affect my overall cruise enjoyment.:D

She drives me crazy!!! Her "patter" has been unchanged for years and years and years!!!!!! I get it that she really really really likes a certain football club. She really really really needs to get a different job!!!

Never had a CD that has made a noticeable difference to my cruise.

Now they do a lot behind the scenes guess planning the days activities etc, and if they fell down on that it might make my cruise worse, but its not noticeable.

Things like Wake shows and corny jokes I wouldn't miss. (So I don't watch their show on TV) and when they take up 20 minutes introducing an act.... ego

The best CD we have had was the Englishman on the Radiance on 26 December and 7th January cruises. He was very funny and had the ability to turn what could have been a boring "chat" into something hilarious and I just can't remember his name:o. Can anyone help me out here?

I was never a fan of Bobby Brown but did like Becky.

I am looking forward to Graham Seymour on the Explorer - he has an excellent reputation.

It also helps if the ship has a personable Captain:) - Like Captain Rob from the Rhapsody and Captain Borsheim (the best IMO) ex-Radiance but now back at Royal on the Voyager. Captain Rick Sullivan is also very nice.

Cheers

Di

Whoever the CD is or isn't really doesn't bother me. I haven't been to a show onboard in about 8 years and although I will often watch their show on the tv in the mornings to get an idea of what is happening around the ship, I don't really care who the CD is :) Just give me a comfortable chair and my kindle and I'm good for the whole cruise.

I do think who the captain is sets the tone for a ship. We were on a long BTB on Mariner a few years ago when Captain Per who ran a remarkably well organised and happy ship, changed out with Captain Flemming. Complete change of attitude and not so happy ship when he came aboard.

The best CD we have had was the Englishman on the Radiance on 26 December and 7th January cruises. He was very funny and had the ability to turn what could have been a boring "chat" into something hilarious and I just can't remember his name:o. Can anyone help me out here?

It might have been Joff Eaton. I really enjoyed his progressive trivia. Very entertaining.

Regards Elaine.

• 7 months later...

I have yet to find a really good one, but I have given up thinking about them and will not let them put me off cruising. Some of them just remind me of the old kids movies where the kids are sent off to camp and the CD has to keep the kids busy - just my personal experience of them.

Hi Folks

Frankly I would prefer none, most of them I feel are full of themselves and spend most of their time promoting themselves

Give me a good "Purser" any day

We dont need to be "directed" to have a good cruise

Best regards

John :D:p

Hi Folks

Frankly I would prefer none, most of them I feel are full of themselves and spend most of their time promoting themselves

Give me a good "Purser" any day

We dont need to be "directed" to have a good cruise

Best regards

John :D:p

Sounds like us John.

Kelvin Joy and his deputy Angela are some of the best I have come across. Also Ron Goodman is very professional too. These are on Princess ships.

Also, they are some who need to be put out to pasture too. Well past their used by date.

From around 30 cruises, I had a think re this topic as it does not really make any difference to us. But between DH and self we could only come with 4 that we remembered.

Bobby Brown, Gordon Whatman, Luke Aerosmith and Steve Davis - all from RCI.

Not that the others were not good, but these were always very personable. Bobby was good with the dancing (ex ballroom) and skits, Luke - well looked good!, Gordon - great singer with the band a couple of times and Steve was a dynamo.

Just personal choice and probably on a different cruise at a different time they may not have impressed as much.

I am looking forward to Graham Seymour on the Explorer - he has an excellent reputation.

It also helps if the ship has a personable Captain:) - Like Captain Rob from the Rhapsody and Captain Borsheim (the best IMO) ex-Radiance but now back at Royal on the Voyager. Captain Rick Sullivan is also very nice.

Cheers

Di

Love Graham Seymour. I think a previous comment had a point though about when the ships get bigger some may not tend to see the CD around as much as they would like.

Also you're spot on regarding Captain Borsheim. He was our first and still our favorite :D

Edited by Hazydavo

Why would one want see a CD around the ship anyway. Most I have come across have an ego so big that they try to be centre stage of everything. At times one would think that passengers are there for the CD"s amusement not the other way around