Luggage - I can't squeeze into 1 bag

sandydandy4

Visit one bag dot com

- Joel

Thanks for the link. I found the information very useful and, at times, entertaining! We are usually successful at traveling with one carry on roller bag and one small back pack each, but I'm always looking for helpful suggestions.:)

You can, you choose not to. Think outside the box a bit.

If you are referring to my comment, I cannot physically carry more than 10 lbs by doctor's orders. I need a wheeled bag to carry my camera gear and associated items. That was what I was referring to.

Having worked in the Av biz for years I know a thing about them. They have freight which pays to get it somewhere ontime and your luggage but the plane for that day is loaded heavy. They have 3 days to deliver your luggage so guess which weight gets bumped. Notice how lost luggage always show up on the 3rd day? I carry a backpack with Tshirts and sox etc to get me by if it doesn't show. I don't know how they can afford to deliver luggage to where ever you end up at but they do.

Thanks for the link. I found the information very useful and, at times, entertaining! We are usually successful at traveling with one carry on roller bag and one small back pack each, but I'm always looking for helpful suggestions.:)

So glad!

I've found this approach, and website, to be transformative. In 8 years now, I've never travelled anywhere for any length of time with anything more than one carry on sized bag. That includes long trips to the Middle East or Europe, or several cruises of up to 2 weeks. If it were a month or more would still only need 1 bag. Love it.

- Joel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are referring to my comment, I cannot physically carry more than 10 lbs by doctor's orders. I need a wheeled bag to carry my camera gear and associated items. That was what I was referring to.

I was referring to the person who claims they need more than an onboard rolling bag and "small personal item" for a trip. We've done three weeks with a variety of different clothing needs in that, and could do six months if we needed to.

I was referring to the person who claims they need more than an onboard rolling bag and "small personal item" for a trip. We've done three weeks with a variety of different clothing needs in that, and could do six months if we needed to.

I could go six months without wine, but thank God I don't need to. Same with taking lots of luggage!

I feel differently about luggage based on what type of trip I'm taking. If a land only tour with moving from city to city, hotel to hotel, I'd definitely take but one bag. But on a cruise with easy taxi rides to and from the airport and being able to fly an airline that gives you two bags free, if I feel I'd like two bags then I'm all in for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could go six months without wine, but thank God I don't need to. Same with taking lots of luggage!

LOL! I agree!

We're doing Viking and as far as I can see, they don't have an restrictions for luggage. We've upgraded to business/first and are allowed 2 checked bags each, but I'm aiming for less.

I'm trying to plan my packing for our August cruise. I'm figuring it will be warm to hot, but we are also doing a post cruise stay in Lucerne for 2 days and we want to do Mt Pilatus - which will be colder than summer temps along the Rhine from what I'm hearing. I need to fit enough layers in my planned suitcases.

I will have 1 16" x 24" rolling suitcase to check, plus a smaller airline regulation size roller and a small back pack (as my personal item). I take my electronic gear (slim laptop, e-reader, iPod and camera) in the back pack plus whatever else will fit. I'm hoping to take shoes (NB sneakers and a pair of Taos Trophy sandals), and some clothing in the small roller so if my luggage gets lost, I don't have to wear the same clothes for 10 days!

I'm planning t-shirts (plain LL Bean type) for day which I can dress up a bit for night with a scarf or jewelry. I'm wearing a comfy pair of jeans on the plane, and taking a couple pair of Bermuda length shorts, a pair of black pants, and a travel skirt (mostly for the cathedrals). I'll also have a light rain coat with a hood, a cardigan and a hoodie - which will be one of my layers for Mt Pilatus.

I have a winter silk, very lightweight turtle neck, the hoodie and a light down jacket that packs into it's own pocket for Mt Pilatus. A couple of packable hats - for sun, rain and cold and a pair of gloves. And of course the usually underwear, meds and toiletries that I can't get on the cruise or in port.

I know there are a lot of experienced Rhine river cruisers. Does this sound like a good plan? Should I leave anything out - add anything I've forgotten.

Great idea to take your shoes in your carry on. Wouldn't be fun trying to break in a replacement pair on walking tours!

I didn't even think of that! So true! I just was thinking that I didn't want to go shoe shopping in Europe - where would I find a DSW? :D

Edited by Cyber Kat

"A suggestion: wear one pair of jeans on the plane and pack 2 more pairs of jeans and one pair of slacks for dinner. Barring some unforeseen accident, you can get a week out of a pair of jeans and you'll have your travel pair as a back-up. You only need one pair of walking shoes, wear them on the plane and pack a soft pair for on board. If you have one, leave the jackets at home and bring a down vest. It fits over everything, keeps your core warm and depending on where you're leaving from you can wear it on the plane....see where I'm going with this? Plus pack a knit hat and pair of mittens. I'd also pack 2-3 pull-over sweaters; a few light weight long sleeved shirts and maybe a dressy sweatshirt or two. If you need more they're easy to find and you can buy more on your trip. And one more: bring your oldest pajamas, socks and underwear and throw it out as you use it. Makes room for any new sweatshirts you buy on the way. Good luck."

I agree with the post, maybe with the exception of jeans. I never found a need for jeans mainly because they are heavy items. Prefer doing lighter weight slacks and cargo-style shorts. As for carry-on luggage these days, I was surprised on our last European trip, backpacks are treated differently than carry-on luggage. Backpacks don't have a weight limit while heavier carry-on luggage could be forced to be checked in. It happened to my wife.

My convertable backpack style case was fine though it was heavier than the wife's carry-on. Tom

I leave for my first River Cruise in just over a week:D flying to Amsterdam.

I have been re-reading this thread and it is funny that the the more things

change the more they stay the same;)

We are all different human beings and that is a good thing. Some folks

want to pack light and that is great for that person. Others (me) bring

2 bags on every cruise and that does not vary by itinerary. Carribean,

Mediterranean, Alaska, Bermuda, etc.... and now my River Cruise...I am bringing 1

checked bag and 1 carry on bag. I also have a Kipling tote (crossbody),

works as a purse and my smaller purse fits inside of it (along with other

stuff).

Anyway, I sail solo and in all my cruises I have never exceeded the 50lb

limit on the checked bag.

As for what to wear when flying? I do not like to wear jeans on flights

(well, especially long flights)....back in the old days they were called

sweat pants but now the leisure industry sure has expanded. I guess

you could still call them sweats but these are nicer (in my opinion).

I have a pair of Navy, very soft cotton and much more comfy than jeans

that I will wear. I will be bringing jeans on the trip though....walking

tours daily. I do agree jeans can be worn multiple times and

will probably pack 2 pairs. Walking shoes...I was going to bring 1

pair but will probably put in 2nd pair too. One pair is VERY lightweight

but supportive by Merrell and I will put them in my carry on.

Checking the weather for April, it looks like the average in the Netherlands/Belgium

is the mid 50's.....that is long sleeves and sweater/jacket weather for me.

Oh....I do pack at least 2 outfits in the carry on bag along with toiletries, jewelry roll,

sleepwear and other items......been packing this way for years.

Anyway, as they say, Different Strokes for Different Folks:D

Edited by Lois R

I leave for my first River Cruise in just over a week:D flying to Amsterdam.

I have been re-reading this thread and it is funny that the the more things

change the more they stay the same;)

We are all different human beings and that is a good thing. Some folks

want to pack light and that is great for that person. Others (me) bring

2 bags on every cruise and that does not vary by itinerary. Carribean,

Mediterranean, Alaska, Bermuda, etc.... and now my River Cruise...I am bringing 1

checked bag and 1 carry on bag. I also have a Kipling tote (crossbody),

works as a purse and my smaller purse fits inside of it (along with other

stuff).

Anyway, I sail solo and in all my cruises I have never exceeded the 50lb

limit on the checked bag.

will probably pack 2 pairs. Walking shoes...I was going to bring 1

pair but will probably put in 2nd pair too. One pair is VERY lightweight

but supportive by Merrell and I will put them in my carry on.

Checking the weather for April, it looks like the average in the Netherlands/Belgium

is the mid 50's.....that is long sleeves and sweater/jacket weather for me.

Oh....I do pack at least 2 outfits in the carry on bag along with toiletries, jewelry roll,

sleepwear and other items......been packing this way for years.

Anyway, as they say, Different Strokes for Different Folks:D

HI Lois,

Sounds like you have a plan that works for you. Smart that you have some necessarily things in your carry on to cover the possibility of delayed checked luggage. Go for it and have a awesome trip!

Sharon

HI Lois,

Sounds like you have a plan that works for you. Smart that you have some necessarily things in your carry on to cover the possibility of delayed checked luggage. Go for it and have a awesome trip!

Sharon

Hi Sharon:) thanks.....yes, it does work for me;)

will probably pack 2 pairs.

Normally, I would agree on the jeans - I don't know why people on ocean cruises are always wanting to wear jeans because they want to be comfortable?? - but I got several pairs of jeans from the Boston Proper catalog. OMG - they are so comfy, they could be sweatpants. They have a wide elastic waistband - no zipper, and are made from the softest stretchy fabric. I'm actually looking forward to wearing them on the plane.

I have them in dark wash and light wash. I'm thinking of taking the dark wash, because they won't show dirt and could be worn to dinner. We're going in the summer, so I'm mostly taking Bermuda length shorts.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Normally, I would agree on the jeans - I don't know why people on ocean cruises are always wanting to wear jeans because they want to be comfortable?? - but I got several pairs of jeans from the Boston Proper catalog. OMG - they are so comfy, they could be sweatpants. They have a wide elastic waistband - no zipper, and are made from the softest stretchy fabric. I'm actually looking forward to wearing them on the plane.

I have them in dark wash and light wash. I'm thinking of taking the dark wash, because they won't show dirt and could be worn to dinner. We're going in the summer, so I'm mostly taking Bermuda length shorts.

Have a wonderful cruise!

It sounds like the jeans you are referring to are KNIT. Many brands are

making a knit jean now.

Have a wonderful cruise!

I would also like to see them. Please post the link:) and thanks for the

good wishes.

Have a wonderful cruise!

They sound more like jeggings than jeans. I wouldn't call what you describe jeans. Jeans have a zipper or buttons, a waistband, and are made of denim.

Pull on stretchy pants are not jeans.

My point was they're not jeggings either, in direct response to your comment.

And when stores/catalogs market knit pants as knit jeans, and someone might be interested in BUYING them, as mentioned a few posts up, it's useful to know the proper search terms to find them. You don't like the pant or the term, don't use it. But the brands, stores, catalogs and websites DO.

Personally, I rarely wear jeans - of the denim OR knit variety, and I don't travel with denim (too heavy, dried to slowly, not my personal style) so I don't have a horse in this race.

This is one option from the Boston Proper website - bootcut stretch knit - but currently sold out https://www.bostonproper.com/store/product/Stretch-knit+Paris+fit+jean/470833320