Recent Chairhog experience, a funny story

RickT

Perhaps chaining a Pit Bull to the loungers, wearing a "Service Animal" vest?

Hi, I understand the tone of your statement but businesses and people often do not understand the purpose of service animals and they are not widely accepted....let's not "tie" them to chair hogs. Maybe a better visual would be a javelina (wild hog type of animal) tied to the chair for the chair hogs.

No, I do not have a service animal but I have seen what the lack of knowledge has done.

This story warms the cockles of my heart!!! Hurray

The Silhouette Solarium butlers were excellent, a few months ago, at picking up 'forgotten' items and keeping the chair hogs out of there. They were on a mission and I enjoyed the solarium very much.

The theater was another story. My husband and I arrived a half hour before the show every evening to get good seats. There were passengers reserving entire rows for their friends, who would arrive much later, sometimes after the show started. We witnessed several kerfuffles between passengers arguing over rows. It was obnoxious.

So here is my funny chair hog story. On the last night of the cruise, husband and I spotted some prime seats at the mid balcony rail, no obstructions and a ledge for our drinks. We noted there was a man standing at one end of the row, refusing to allow anyone to enter. So we slid into the other end of the row. Two women that had been rebuffed at Rude Man's end of the row asked if we were saving seats, we said ' of course not, please join us.' The dopey seat saver must have thought 'his row' was a dead end because he was surprised when he turned around to see us four strangers sitting in 'his row.'

He told us we should move because the seats are saved.

One of the woman asked, 'For who?'

Rude Man replied 'I'm saving them for my wife.'

Woman asked, 'How many seats does she need?'

Rude Man replied, 'All of them, for her friends.'

I told him 'That's not possible, seat saving isn't allowed.' The women agreed. My husband told him 'We're not moving.' End of discussion.

When Rude Man's wife finally showed up, she was very annoyed with him for messing up. She pouted throughout the show because some of her friends had to find other seats. It was strangely satisfying to stand our ground.

Cindy, did you see the people that draped their t-shirts over the chair backs to save them? They were there almost everyday, unoccupied for hours! I did see the luggage straps and thought what next? Lol!

I didn't, but I hardly ever went up there. The morning I saw the luggage straps it was very windy, so maybe that's why I didn't see the shirts.

I saw a lot of blatant seat saving in the theater too (whole rows).:( The last night a threesome who was in the aisle looking for seats got into a loud argument with a lady in our row who was saving several seats. I thought a few people had lost their minds the last night...we saw some bizarre behavior, and it wasn't just over seat saving!:eek:

I don't understand needing to sit with one's 7 closest friends to see a show. :confused: Sit as couples and then chat about the show afterwards.

Of course, I also don't understand people who can't be separated on airplanes (a parent and an under-10 child, okay).

Cindy, did you see the people that draped their t-shirts over the chair backs to save them? They were there almost everyday, unoccupied for hours! I did see the luggage straps and thought what next? Lol!

Reminds me of last year on my Summit cruise to Bermuda. There was a couple who put their rather large beach towels on the chairs every day. Funny thing is the Towels had inscribed on them in big letters, "Reserved". I guess they didn't read the signs that say you can't reserve chairs.

Just off Equinox. Crew was all over the chair savers by the pool. There were crew that appeared to be assigned to handle this situation, including Officers. The Aqua Spa has limited seating by the indoor pool. People would use towels, empty cups, and utensils, to try and hold a table before it even opened for lunch. Nice try. 10 minutes max before someone would alert a crew member. A great job by crew.

Just me, but if something happens on the flight I want to be next to my spouse;)

I am the same way - always check my seats several times before a flight and our carry-on snacks / music / entertainment are always in my backpack so being separated means we have to divvy up the stuff on-board. Now people who just don't do seat assignments ahead of time - I feel they should be out of luck!

I have a funnier story.

One day on the Eclipse this past February we decided to sit in the Solarium.

We found two empty loungers and sat/lay down. After a couple of hours a man came up and asked us what we did with his stuff.

I told him the loungers were empty when we got there. He got pretty heated and said (yelled) he had just left his stuff there a half hour before.

I kept saying I was sorry but we'd been there a couple of hours and there was nothing there when we got there. (And a gentleman who was next to us verified.)

He finally got really disgusted and walked away.

About 15 minutes later I saw him walk up to a woman on the opposite side of the pool and sit down on a lounger that obviously had his "stuff" on it.

He never did come back to apologize.

Probably too embarrassed.

Thanks for sharing your stories, maybe the Pool Butler needs to place a Celebrity's pool tag on the unoccupied chairs with towels & books starting at 6:30 AM. Unoccupied chairs after 30 minutes, the Celebrity Pool Butler would remove the items and place them in a secured location. The unoccupied chairs are up for grabs.

Thanks for sharing your stories, maybe the Pool Butler needs to place a Celebrity's pool tag on the unoccupied chairs with towels & books starting at 6:30 AM. Unoccupied chairs after 30 minutes, the Celebrity Pool Butler would remove the items and place them in a secured location. The unoccupied chairs are up for grabs.

I agree with your proposed system but I doubt that the pool butlers would have the time and be instructed to do so.

I have a funnier story.

We found two empty loungers and sat/lay down. After a couple of hours a man came up and asked us what we did with his stuff.

I told him the loungers were empty when we got there. He got pretty heated and said (yelled) he had just left his stuff there a half hour before.

I kept saying I was sorry but we'd been there a couple of hours and there was nothing there when we got there. (And a gentleman who was next to us verified.)

About 15 minutes later I saw him walk up to a woman on the opposite side of the pool and sit down on a lounger that obviously had his "stuff" on it.

Now that's funny. ;o)

I have several things I do if I notice that the chair(s) next to me are "occupied" with nobody on them for a long while. If they leave a book on the chair, I "donate" it to the ship library. If there is stuff on the chair, I move the stuff to a chair that may or may not be even on the same deck. You can't say that I am stealing anything as I never ever keep it; I just move it. If someone comes and asks where their stuff is, I play dumb. Now of course, if the stuff is valuable, I give it to the pool attendant although I often say that I should bring it to the lost and found and tell them that someone "lost" it on a chair by the pool.

DON

I have a funnier story.

Really funny!!! I'm not a chair-hog but this is the kind of things that will happen to me... I've no sense of direction and I'm always messing the port and starboard side of the ship. :D

I think it is important to bring a lounge sack in order to let people know that the entire lounge chair belongs to you! It takes a couple minutes to slip on the chair, but nobody messes with it!:D Written on the sack is "Don't Touch My Lounge Chair." It is signed captain! Oh, did I mention the combination lock?

Edited by Lastdance

Just came off Reflection and noticed many chair hogs have now adopted towel clips to monopolize their prime locations. Would really like to see the Pool Butlers enforce the rules on chair hogs and even worse kids in the adult pools/spas. The same kids were constantly in the adult pool annoying everyone else. Maybe the rules should be posted in larger type?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just got off the reflection. No problem with chair hogs at the regular pool. Seemed all who got to the pool before 11:00 AM had a seat either in the sun or shade- perhaps a problem mostly limited to the adult pool. I did see a few people, sitting in the sun-who looked like they were likely melinoma candidates, reserve both sun and shade lounge chairs, that is really inconsiderate and selfish.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Just got off the reflection. No problem with chair hogs at the regular pool. Seemed all who got to the pool before 11:00 AM had a seat either in the sun or shade- perhaps a problem mostly limited to the adult pool. I did see a few people, sitting in the sun-who looked like they were likely melinoma candidates, reserve both sun and shade lounge chairs, that is really inconsiderate and selfish.

On all these chair hog threads we hear from the 90% of the people who detest the practice of chair hogging. Why don't we ever hear from the 10%, typically grandmothers who are out there at 7am setting up towels on 4,5, 6 and more lounge chairs by the pool?

Personally I find the chair clips to be particularly offensive.

On all these chair hog threads we hear from the 90% of the people who detest the practice of chair hogging. Why don't we ever hear from the 10%, typically grandmothers who are out there at 7am setting up towels on 4,5, 6 and more lounge chairs by the pool?

Personally I find the chair clips to be particularly offensive.

Feeling guilty?

I have several things I do if I notice that the chair(s) next to me are "occupied" with nobody on them for a long while. If they leave a book on the chair, I "donate" it to the ship library. If there is stuff on the chair, I move the stuff to a chair that may or may not be even on the same deck. You can't say that I am stealing anything as I never ever keep it; I just move it. If someone comes and asks where their stuff is, I play dumb. Now of course, if the stuff is valuable, I give it to the pool attendant although I often say that I should bring it to the lost and found and tell them that someone "lost" it on a chair by the pool.

You are stealing as you have no right whatsoever to donate people's books or move people's belongings to other decks. All you should be doing is alert the pool attendants who can take and store items. I find your behavior equally bad (if not worse) than the chair hogs.

Great stories on here...

On a cruise last year we were standing next to the rail for sailaway. We were holding pool towels, books, drinks etc and behind us was a whole row of completely empty deckchairs so I chose 2 and put our stuff on them and went back to stand at the rail just in front of the chairs. Next to me was a man who glared at me, and said 'Excuse me, I reserved those chairs for me and my wife". I looked back to see if I had missed anything, nope, nothing there but my stuff. So I said, 'nothing was on them to show that they were taken'. He pointed to an (empty) glass under one of the chairs, and said 'There's my glass"!! I went over and took my stuff off the chairs and said 'there you go, you can have your pick of all the chairs now' (the entire row was unoccupied) so he made a big show of lying down on his chair with the glass underneath. I had no desire to argue with a dumbass on the first afternoon of a cruise. Funniest thing of all - when we went to the cruise critic meet and mingle the next morning, he was the husband of one of the lovely ladies I had been corresponding with on the roll call for months. He didn't remember me from the previous day .....but I remembered him :rolleyes: