Cabin with a teenager, please advise

Cairns01

We are planning a cruise with our 15 year old daughter and wanted advice on which cabin or suite we should book to give everyone the best space and storage options.

Not sure on the cost v practicalities of a suite so if anyone has any experience they would like to share.

We plan to cruise with either Princess, Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. Probably Mediterranean or Scandinavia, all tips welcome.Tx

Another vote for a mini suite on the Grand Class of Princess ships eg Grand, Golden, Crown, Carribean , Emerald etc. We have no experience of the Royal or Regal Princess so cannot comment on these.

We always travel with our two daughters in a mini suite, this year they will be 22 and 18 years old. There is plenty of space including lots of storage for all the clothes etc. For us it works really well. However we are from the UK so may be more used to living in smaller homes and only having one bathroom between us?

I also vote for a mini suite and here is my reason, a teenager does not want to sleep in a bunk bed, nor do her parents want to sleep in twin beds.

We always travel with 4 per room. This last cruise was too much with the bunks and the space being too cramped. Our next two cruises booked are in Mini Suites for the extra storage space, larger bathroom and a bunk for the 4th person (but in the end, I suspect the boys will sleep together, they are still young)

A mini suite allows mom and dad to have their queen bed and teenager to have the sofa bed (which is not that bad with a mattress pad topper.)

Good luck and enjoy your family cruise!

Edited by jennybenny

Only other cabin type I'd consider would be an aft facing balcony. We had one on the Golden. It was larger than a regular balcony.

Third in a Minisuite would be sleeping on a sofa bed, balcony in a Pullman.

Edited by SadieN

Just my two cents -

If your finances allow, at least look at a Vista Suite - There can be quite a jump in price, but the extra living space really makes a huge difference.

You will have a Queen bed (or 2 twins) in a room separated by a curtain, the sleeper sofa in the "living room" and a two room bathroom area with the toilet and sink in one section and the large jetted tub and glass enclosed shower in the other. Also, a much larger balcony. Not to mention Breakfast at Sabatinis (yum) and the other perks associated with a suite that you do not get with a mini-suite.

When my two adult sons and I cruise together we have done the Mini suite, and it does work out, but we always try to go with a suite, weather as an up-sell if offered or, if able, as our original reservation.

The extra room is nice when hanging out in the room/balcony, and especially when getting ready for dinner.

Whatever you choose, I am sure you will love it and have a great vacation!

All true what timtrek says about the Vista Suite.

If the ship has Window Suites, they boast all of the above - just minus the balcony. PLUS the closet space and storage is greater than in a Vista Suite, and the price is about that of a mini-suite.

We found this an amazing value proposition on the Caribbean Princess, having splurged on a Vista Suite previously but wanting to economize (relatively, LOL) to be able to cruise more.

Suite Perks rock!

we had a regular balcony that slept 3 (drop down from the ceiling) with our teenager and it was fine. We have also done it with a balcony that had a couch that was made into a bed. Rooms are small granted but you're not spending hours in the room and for sleeping purposes you will be fine

We are planning a cruise with our 15 year old daughter and wanted advice on which cabin or suite we should book to give everyone the best space and storage options.

Not sure on the cost v practicalities of a suite so if anyone has any experience they would like to share.

We plan to cruise with either Princess, Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. Probably Mediterranean or Scandinavia, all tips welcome.Tx

We were on the Caribbean Princess a number of years ago with our then 17 year old daughter. We had a mini suite and it worked out fine. She slept to noon, then the phone started ringing with calls from other teenagers. On sea days we never saw her until suppertime unless a couple of other girls came to the cabin to hang out on the balcony with her. We insisted that we dine all together but after that she was gone until late. In terms of space, we had enough.

Maybe our family is just different but we started in mini suites for Alaska and Panama Canal trips. But we downgraded to insides since then when we figured out we really only used the room for bathing and sleeping. We are not ones to hang around the cabin much. This gives us more $$$ to spend on excursions and experiences or to travel even more often.

In fact we noticed the temperature in our cabin was cooler and more comfortable not having a door to a balcony.

Best advice for cruising with a teenage girl... Separate ships. :D

No truer words have ever been spoken. Lacking the two ships, get a seal-able box to put the teenager in until their turn human again at 21 or so.