TA vs Self Booking

oceanjuli

I apologize if this question has already been asked. I've seen this topic addressed pertaining to SPECIFIC cruise lines but my question is generic and pertains to all of the larger cruise lines (RCCL, NCL, Princess, Carnival, Celebrity).

Is it better to self book or use a TA? My understanding is that TAs can book a block of rooms and get a steep discount on the prices which they pass onto you (but they are not allowed to advertise). I think this is called "Group Booking" or something like that.

So, here is my question, how common of a practice is this? I've always booked all my own travel and hesitate to use the services of a TA. OBCs don't mean much to me if the reservation itself is either screwed up or the TA puts me in a cabin I would never choose myself. I have found an agent that immediately wanted my DOB and address so she could look up my past cruise information. Asking for that type of information right away made me nervous and I ignored the request. I do realize that eventually a TA will need DOBs, addresses, etc. but was wondering if this is a normal first thing to ask for? Can't she just tell me what types of deals are available to loyalty members and only request that information if I decide to book a specific cruise?

Just really nervous about using a TA. If anyone has any specific agencies they can recommend, I'm very open to it. I think the amount of research required to properly book a cruise yourself can be very time consuming and in the interests of jumping on a good deal, perhaps a TA would be worth using if it was a time-sensitive decision.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

While some TA's book groups of rooms, most that I have dealt with do not. They just have different price structure then you or I do dealing direct with the cruise line. Think of it like a volume discount. In all the cruises I have taken I have only seen on instance where the cruise line offered a better price dealing with them directly and I am convinced that was a mistake on the cruise lines part. You can go out and do a fake booking with a line and determine your price with them, the TA I use is 6-8% less (except for the one I mentioned above). The discount is in refundable OBC. The term refundable is important because it means if I don't use the OBC, I get a credit to my credit card.

As to recommending a TA, Cruise Critic rule prohibit that.

Edited by KirkNC

I believe in using a TA. They can often offer you additional amenities that a cruise line cannot.

And if something goes wrong they can be your advocate.

On top of this often I find people spinning their heads not knowing how to handle something and even posting on CC when the TA could have resolved it for them.

Keith

The DOB and address had to do with them determining if you qualified for a resident or senior discount. Nothing sinister about it. There are agencies that have blocks of rooms to market to their customers, but I've not know them to offer them at "steep" discounts. But I've paid less under these circumstances than if I booked directly with the cruise line.

Unless you book a guarantee, the TA can't "put you in a cabin". You still get to choose your cabin. It sounds like you have so many fears and apprehensions about using a TA that even if you get a good one, you'll assume they're out to get you.

Roz

My observation, not being a TA, is this....no individual passenger has anywhere near as much leverage or horsepower when dealing with a cruise line as a qualified Travel Agent has.

And, I prefer to spend my money with a small businessman (I dont use large travel agencies) rather than giving the commission portion of my cruise fare back to the large corporation.

I have always used a TA. Never had regrets. I use her to even book my flights hotels and just about everything travel related.

To me the key is to find a good TA, and stick with them, eventually they will form an understanding of your likes and Dislikes.

For example I can call my TA and tell her I want to book a flight to X on such a date and return on such a date. She will know exactly what class & what seat to book for me. She would just ask "The Usual?" for my confirmation.

The key to us was a small family run Travel Agent. They seem to give a more personalized service and attention to detail.

We have been with the same TA for over 20 years now and have become good friends.

Just our story and what worked for us. I know everyone is different.

I've booked several ways--with a hometown travel agent, with a travel agent I have used several times, with a big online travel agency, and directly with the cruise line. My hometown travel agent retired, so she's no longer an option. The cruises we booked through her were great. She steered us to the right ones for us at the time. She helped us pick out ones that fit our budget.

The travel agent I use most often is one I first used through a site that lets different agencies compete by giving you quotes on a specific cruise. He's offered us good service, generally a better price than booking directly with the cruise line, and will send us something such as a bottle of wine or a little bit of onboard credit. He's found us bargains and offered us advice on things in specific ports that he thinks we'd enjoy.

The time I booked with a big online travel agency was when our regular travel agent was away. We got a good price, but did not get the extra service.

I booked online a last-minute deal. I found out later that since we were past the final payment date that I could not transfer the booking to our regular travel agent. The good news was that price went up over the weekend, so we saved money over waiting until Monday to book the cruise. As with booking with the big online travel agency, we did not get any extra service.

It sounds like you have so many fears and apprehensions about using a TA that even if you get a good one, you'll assume they're out to get you.

Roz

You don't know my past experience with TAs, so don't make assumptions. Furthermore, you also don't know my own experience with booking travel for myself as well as others.

Unfortunately, it's people like you that make me afraid to begin threads on this website.

I asked an innocent question and you turned it into a negative. I was asking for honest and helpful feedback. The very fact that I am asking the question means that I am obviously entertaining the idea of using a TA the next go round. However, I am well aware that a bad TA is worse than no TA. So please don't make assumptions about my overall attitude toward TAs because you know nothing about my past experience.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I inferred from your post that you didn't use TAs. I apologize for my mis-guided assumption. I'm a very nice person.

Roz

You don't know my past experience with TAs, so don't make assumptions. Furthermore, you also don't know my own experience with booking travel for myself as well as others.

Unfortunately, it's people like you that make me afraid to begin threads on this website.

I asked an innocent question and you turned it into a negative. I was asking for honest and helpful feedback. The very fact that I am asking the question means that I am obviously entertaining the idea of using a TA the next go round. However, I am well aware that a bad TA is worse than no TA. So please don't make assumptions about my overall attitude toward TAs because you know nothing about my past experience.

It's a matter of preference. Hubby likes to book with a TA - less work for him. I prefer to book online - it gives me control of the reservation. Don't worry about the negatives. Most of us are here to advise and support.

I prefer to keeping ownership of my bookings...After 20+ cruises with RCI I've very rarely if ever had any problems...and if there was a small one...I'm my own best advocate...this is what has worked for me and will continue to. Those that prefer to involve a 3rd party have that option..just like I have mine.....each to their own way of planning their travel and their preferences.

Best of luck with whatever you decide is best for you, regardless of what works for everyone else.

We book with an on line TA. We own our booking. Cannot see the difference.

We enjoy an 8-12 percent rebate on our commission able fares from our On line TA. For us, that translates into one free cruise for every ten or twelve than we take. And once in a while we hit a free upgrade if we happen to join a TA sponsored group.

Never, ever had a problem.

We book with an on line TA. We own our booking. Cannot see the difference.

We enjoy an 8-12 percent rebate on our commission able fares from our On line TA. For us, that translates into one free cruise for every ten or twelve than we take. And once in a while we hit a free upgrade if we happen to join a TA sponsored group.

Never, ever had a problem.

So when you say you "own" your own booking.... your cruiseline will discuss and make "any" changes without having to speak with your TA :confused:....

This isn't usually the case with, at least with my cruiseline (RCI) and that's the difference.

I have found they will sometimes discuss your booking and sometimes not. I think it depends on what you want to discuss and who is on the other end of the phone. An example of something they have always been willing to discuss is confirmation that my CCL stock OBC has been applied to my account. We always check this prior to sailing.

We have taken many cruises. Never had an issue dealing with a TA nor have we felt the need to deal direct with the cruise line. TA has made changes, answered our questions/concerns, etc to our satisfaction.

After many cruises I can only think of two unusual instances where our TA needed to conference in the cruise line. The first was to confirm details of a Princess 'move over'. The second was 18 months ago to get confirmation from RCI that they would honour an air rebate program for our one way flights.

I have never really understood the ownership comment. Could be that our TA

does a great job for us or that we are fairly low maintenance cruisers. We know what we want, book it, and require little or no assistance after that.

We also feel that our TA would be an advocate for us in the event of a dispute. More so than dealing with an employee of the cruise line who has to tow the line as it were and pull out the usual prepared 'drawer statements' when issues arise. This, plus the 8-12 percent rebates gave kept us with our current TA.

Edited by iancal

Please don't attack Roz - she has only ever posted helpful info, and does not get into picking people apart like some do. I actually got the same impression as she did from your post. Sometimes the written word may not come across as intended, just like your post. I hope you find a TA you can trust and feel comfortable with.

If I can find some real financial gain when using a TA, I will. For example, I have a AMEX card that is linked to Delta SkyMiles. So I get 3,000 miles and 3x SkyMiles when I book through them. I do my own research, and know what cabin, or cabin guarantee before calling SkyMiles Cruises

The other exception is when we went on a Cape Horn cruise out of Rio de Janeiro. I worked with Sabrina Brazil Travel who got me a nice room at a resort at Iguazu Falls, a nice hotel on Ipanema Beach, and all my flight reservations. I was very satisfied with the results, but, most of the time, I don't need that level of service

Ten cruises. Eight direct with Princess, always flawless. The two with a T.A. were a mess. Never again. Calling Princess direct solves all problems. The TA always sat on them.

Wrong TA.

I usually use an one line TA and have had a great experience. But for my next cruise I booked direct with RCCL, as the price was better than my local TA could give me. My local TA said they would give me $100 further discount if they take over my booking. So we booked direct and transferred the booking to them and got the extra discount and then I figured it would save me extra as I didn't have to print up any travel documentation as they would do it. I asked them how they were going to make any money out of my booking and they said they make money by volume.

I think shop around and get the best price you can!:)