Passport Expiring 6 months after Cruise

Pamm4151

My husband and I are cruising in January 2017. Our passports expire in June of 2017. Should we renew our passports prior to our cruise? TIA

I wouldn't unless any of the countries you are visiting on your cruise actually requires it (and none of the countries in the Caribbean require it that I am aware of, if that is where you are sailing).

Edited by sparks1093

If it is a "closed loop cruise" (starts and finishes at same port in US) you don't even need a passport, so you would be fine.

Domestic Cruises (including Canada)

For cruises that begin and/or end in a U.S port, the following WHTI-Compliant Documents are acceptable for cruise travel. These standard forms of documentation will enable the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler. If the cruise includes air travel to/from Canada, a valid, unexpired U.S passport is required.

U.S. Passport | Passport Card | State Enhanced Driver's License | Certificate of U.S. Naturalization | Native American Indians | Unacceptable forms of documentation

Also acceptable for cruise travel, U.S. Citizens can show proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate issued by a government agency accompanied by a government issued photo I.D.

My husband and I are cruising in January 2017. Our passports expire in June of 2017. Should we renew our passports prior to our cruise? TIA

I had a similar situation with passport expiring only 5 months after we returned from the cruise. I had absolutely no problem.

When you renew a passport, they don't extend it to 10 years past your current expiration date.

The new expiration date would be 10 years from the date of renewal. Therefore, you would lose more than a year if you renewed early.

I'm renewing my passport which expires in September of this year as soon as I return from this Saturday's Conquest cruise.

I will do the expedited renewal since I'm going to Bermuda in May/ June and Playa Del Carmen in August.

We need more information and that includes the itinerary and the cruise line.

Without this, everyone is just speculating.

Keith

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night - but I thought this was the Carnival forum...

I'm renewing my passport which expires in September of this year as soon as I return from this Saturday's Conquest cruise.

I will do the expedited renewal since I'm going to Bermuda in May/ June and Playa Del Carmen in August.

If it's expiring in September and you are traveling again in May there's no need to pay more to expedite. State Department might appreciate the extra revenue, but there's no need.

I would because I stick with the 6 month rule and I personally wouldn't like to take any chances neverless have the stress of worrying. Last year boarding a Carnival ship, Carnival rep mentioned to my father in law that his passport was going to expire in 7 months so yes, they do look.

I just renewed my passport which expires next April....after my April 30th cruise I have a California trip in May to June, a trip to Aruba in August and another cruise in the end of the year which if I kept my current passport it be under the six month rule, so the only time I had to renew it was two months ago....also, sometime this year to fly to some states will require a passport, the exact date has not been announced but there be a three month forgiveness period so for me its best to get it earlier.

I had a similar situation with passport expiring only 5 months after we returned from the cruise. I had absolutely no problem.

When you renew a passport, they don't extend it to 10 years past your current expiration date.

The new expiration date would be 10 years from the date of renewal. Therefore, you would lose more than a year if you renewed early.

Yep and this is one of the reasons I will let my travel needs dictate when I renew my passport and not the expiration date. If I am not traveling for a year after my passport expires I will wait and renew it in time for that trip (and if that trip happens to be a closed loop cruise I probably wouldn't even renew it for that).

Edited by sparks1093

I would because I stick with the 6 month rule and I personally wouldn't like to take any chances neverless have the stress of worrying. Last year boarding a Carnival ship, Carnival rep mentioned to my father in law that his passport was going to expire in 7 months so yes, they do look.

I just renewed my passport which expires next April....after my April 30th cruise I have a California trip in May to June, a trip to Aruba in August and another cruise in the end of the year which if I kept my current passport it be under the six month rule, so the only time I had to renew it was two months ago....also, sometime this year to fly to some states will require a passport, the exact date has not been announced but there be a three month forgiveness period so for me its best to get it earlier.

First off there is no 6 month rule per se, there are some indivdual countries that do require your passport to have 6 months remaining from the end of your trip, but they are few and far between.

The last part of your post is incorrect- you will not need a passport to fly to some states, rather if you have a drivers license issued by some states you may not be able to use it as an ID to enter Federal jurisdiction which includes airports, so you might need another form of ID, but the regulations have been extended once again and there is no telling at this point when it will be implmented (and only pertains to you if you are from one of the non-compliant states).

It is better to be safe than sorry but you cannot outline a reasonable scenario where a US citizen on a closed loop cruise would have difficulty with only 5 months remaining on their passport.

BUT...if you have an emergency or need to fly home from a foreign country this rule does apply. Emergencies do happen and problems do arise, its best to be safe than sorry I say. :rolleyes:

Nope, sorry, if you are returning to the US your passport is valid for re-entry right up until the day it expires. (If the US does impose a 6 month rule it's for foreign passport holders from specific countries but those rules do not apply to US citizens.)

Nope, sorry, if you are returning to the US your passport is valid for re-entry right up until the day it expires. (If the US does impose a 6 month rule it's for foreign passport holders from specific countries but those rules do not apply to US citizens.)

Here's what the CBP website has to say:

"Visitors traveling to the U.S. are required to be in possession of passports that are valid for six months beyond the period of their intended stay in the U.S. See list of countries exempt from the six month requirement."

As a US citizen you are not a visitor of your own country;).

Edited by sparks1093

BUT...if you have an emergency or need to fly home from a foreign country this rule does apply. Emergencies do happen and problems do arise, its best to be safe than sorry I say. :rolleyes:

What? Can you back up your claim with ANYTHING?

I be safe and make sure my passport is beyond six months...I also as you can see have no problem in renewing my passport a year ahead of when its expired....I guess I do it in case of an emergency should I have to bail out of this country for some catastrophic emergency thats bound to happen, I am safe and able to do so without worries....this country is not safe any longer and anything can happen, at least I can get out. :D

Edited by lyndamr

Since cruise passengers NO MATTER WHERE they cruise are considered "In Transit" and not visiting for an extended length of time no "6 month" rule really applies.

Most countries have the 6 month rule for people who will be staying in that country over several days.

I be safe and make sure my passport is beyond six months...I also as you can see have no problem in renewing my passport a year ahead of when its expired....I guess I do it in case of an emergency should I have to bail out of this country for some catastrophic emergency thats bound to happen, I am safe and able to do so without worries....this country is not safe any longer and anything can happen, at least I can get out. :D

I am personally not making plans to evacuate my own country but if that's your concern that's your concern. That's a far cry from saying there is a requirement that doesn't exist though.

There is more misinformation in this thread that I have read in months.

There NO six month rule for closed loop cruises, in fact there is no six month rule for any cruise. IF you fly to Europe or some other destination to board or leave a cruise, you need to comply with that countries rule.

You are wasting your money if you renew early unless you are planning a land based trip to a country that has a six month rule. For 90% of all cruisers, ie those that only do closed loop cruises out of the US, as long as your passport is valid on the day you return home it is valid, AND it can be used to fly home if you have an emergency.

Check with your cruise line.

I was unable to check in on line because I had only 5 months left on my passport. This had nothing to do with the ports, or re-entry; I was on a European cruise with an EU passport.

It was just the cruise line which wouldn't allow it.