FAA grounded all flights to Florida missed cruise

I agree with the suggestion of leaving a day ahead of time (if possible). But travel insurance is a highly debatable subject. I self insure, and for most people, if you can afford to, you are better off doing so. Travel insurance is generally a bad investment. If you prefer the peace of mind, and you're willing to pay for it, then go ahead. But to intimate that "experienced" cruisers (or travelers in general) "know" this is a smart move is simply false.

We have just been on our first cruise TA told us we had to be there the day before I case of any unforeseen delays. Always take out travel insurance no matter where we go, it covers lots of things including medical expenses, would hate to be landed with a huge medical bill if taken ill or worse abroad.......

We have just been on our first cruise TA told us we had to be there the day before I case of any unforeseen delays. Always take out travel insurance no matter where we go, it covers lots of things including medical expenses, would hate to be landed with a huge medical bill if taken ill or worse abroad.......

Sounds like your TA lied.

There were over 1000 passengers that missed this boat yesterday.

Can someone currently on the ship weigh in on this point because I highly doubt the ship would leave on time with this many passengers missing.

I agree with the suggestion of leaving a day ahead of time (if possible). But travel insurance is a highly debatable subject. I self insure, and for most people, if you can afford to, you are better off doing so. Travel insurance is generally a bad investment. If you prefer the peace of mind, and you're willing to pay for it, then go ahead. But to intimate that "experienced" cruisers (or travelers in general) "know" this is a smart move is simply false.

Not everyone can afford to self-insure. I would rather pay the $150 - $200 it costs me for insurance than to risk losing $5,000 by self-insuring. The first time you need the insurance will make all those earlier payments balance out.

The reason I always buy it? Our first cruise many years ago we booked with another couple, our best friends. We debated about whether or not to buy the insurance but decided it would be best if we did "just in case". 6 days before the cruise was supposed to depart, the husband died in a work related accident. We were able to recover every dollar we had spent for the cruise, air fare and hotel.

Yeas ago when we were younger and newer to cruising, we never took insurance. It didn't even occur to us to do so. One time we fly out of CT to San Juan to catch a flight. We even volunteered to be bumped. We were flown to Chicago, (in the winter) and made the last flight out of there because of a snow storm. When we got in, we couldn't believe how stupid we were to get bumped! Now we always take insurance.

The OP was not talking about medical coverage. That's entirely different. If someone travels somewhere and doesn't have adequate medical coverage, unless they have tremendous resources to self insure, they're being stupid.

This is about getting money back for a trip they didn't take. Let's not muddy the issue by blurring it with medical coverage, which is a totally different topic.

If you don't have adequate medical coverage, getting it through "trip insurance" only makes sense if you very rarely travel. If you take more than two or three trips a year, you're much better off with an ongoing plan that covers you.

Sorry you missed out on your cruise. I still wouldn't buy insurance either. It's basically for suckers. I self insure. You didn't "lose" money. You spent it at least 60-75 days ago. It was already gone. Unfortunate you didn't get to enjoy your vacation, but stuff happens. Sometimes life is good, sometimes it kicks you a little. But in the end, this is hardly a tragedy. I'm sure you'll enjoy your next vacation.

I mean no disrespect BUT, why would you never buy trip insurance? What would you do if you needed to be evacuated from the ship.....in a foreign port.....that does not accept your health insurance?

The reason I always buy it? Our first cruise many years ago we booked with another couple, our best friends. We debated about whether or not to buy the insurance but decided it would be best if we did "just in case". 6 days before the cruise was supposed to depart, the husband died in a work related accident. We were able to recover every dollar we had spent for the cruise, air fare and hotel.

I'm glad it worked out for you. And that's an interesting story. But there is a saying: "The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'!"...

I mean no disrespect BUT, why would you never buy trip insurance? What would you do if you needed to be evacuated from the ship.....in a foreign port.....that does not accept your health insurance?

Again. The OP was talking about getting his money bach for the cruise. That has NOTHING to do with medical coverage.

Well, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but this is why one should always fly in the day before a cruise and always purchase travel insurance! A cruise line isn't going to make exceptions when many of us buy the insurance and spend a night pre-cruise only to have people risk it on the day of and hope to get compensated. Not meaning to be harsh, just take this as an expensive lesson and be more cautious next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

First of all, I am very sorry that you missed your cruise. A very painful, stressful and expensive lesson to learn.

For those who are suggesting that RCI should somehow compensate you or allow you to book another cruise with that money, please think of this:

Original Poster paid $11,000 for a set of rooms on the Oasis 4/2/16 cruise.

His party miss that cruise at the last minute, and those cabins remained empty for the cruise. RCI was not able to 'resell' them and earn any additional money on them as they would have in the case of a last minute cancellation that was perhaps several days before the cruise. These cabins were held for OP until sail away and beyond in case they were able to catch up.

If they allowed OP to book another cruise with their original $11,000 paid, then RCI will be out that money. It would be essentially getting two cruises for the price of one - even though the cabins went empty on the first cruise.

RCI is not a charity. They are a for profit business that is held accountable to their stockholders. This was not a case of someone having a heart attack on the way to the ship. Or a family member dying. (God forbid.) This was a case of poor planning and not taking prudent measures.

The prices for everyone go up in the long run if RCI allows people to rebook due to their own mistakes.

Hard lesson to learn, but adults take risks all the time - sometimes they don't pay off.

Am I the ONLY skeptic? Another OPW...of which we have had quite a few in the past couple of weeks. OP has been on 7 cruises. Just found CC today and joined. Another major complaint. 1000 people missed the cruise. How in the world would he know this? Why is there not at least ONE more person here telling their tale? And once again....a HIT AND RUN. Just way to many of these far fetched stories lately....and if I am wrong, I will certainly apologize.

Edited by champagne123
vvvvvvvvvddddddddd

A very expensive lesson learned on this scenario.

I'm sorry I have no advice for recourse. I truly don't see RC doing anything for anyone that flies in the day of a cruise and misses the boat without insurance. This was simply poor planning. Always travel the day before and always have cruise insurance.

Wishing you a better trip next time...

:o

Also, if you must sail the morning of your cruise, book with RC(Air2sea) and they will do their best to get you to the ship.

My understanding is that air2sea is required to help you get to the ship. However, the folks without a passport still couldn't have gone.

Again. The OP was talking about getting his money bach for the cruise. That has NOTHING to do with medical coverage.

Are you still saying trip insurance is for suckers? Or is it only for suckers that don't need it for trip delay? I am confused.

I think there are at least three lessons in this story. Insurance, a passport and flying in at least a day prior to your cruise date would have made a huge difference in this case.

Plus 1.

OP should be thankful they weren't facing uninsured medevac! Still, what an expensive lesson.

I've seen people taken by ambulance, helicopter, I've known people that have had to pay thousands before leaving the ship at a port. They were in the medical area for a day or two before the ship arrived, hooked up to whatever equipment and it isn't free. What many people don't realize, your insurance from home does not cover these emergencies.

Insurance is for suckers, not hardly. Yes, many times you won't use it, but thousands add up real quick if you have a serious issue. Several hundred dollars adds up real quick if you need medical attention, a simple visit is over $100, maybe two.

OK, this thread is making me nervous

Traveling with 3 other friends next Sunday on the Navigator. WE were originally on the Empress and were canc.

WE all have trip insurance. But because of the change in schedules, we are not flying in the day of the cruise. (Navigator sails on Sunday, Empress was suppose to go out monday)

None of us changed our flights, due to other obligations the day before.

We all get into Fort Lauderdale by 11AM. Lets just hope and pray we don't get crazy weather two weekends in a row.

We have always bought the trip insurance from the cruise line when we book. When we were booking a cruise for ourselves and our two children and two spouses a few years ago, the trip insurance added up. We did it anyway.

Our last cruise on the Brilliance of the Seas sailed on March 12 without us. On March 10, my husband woke up with a fever and a cough. We babysit our two grandkids and the baby went home on Tuesday with a high fever. Later in the day on Thursday, our daughter called and said that the baby had Influenza B, not part of the flu shot, and said my husband should get tested. At 5:00 pm he called saying he had bad news and the doctor had said he tested positive for Influenza B and should not travel. He was too sick to travel, anyway.

We had printed our boarding passes, were basically packed, had cancelled the mail and the newspaper and would have flown to Tampa the next morning at 8:30. I called Royal Caribbean and canceled the cruise. Sigh. They gave me the number for travel insurance and I called and got a case number and they said they would e-mail me the claim forms. We have sent them in. The insurance papers say illness is covered. We have not gotten the money back yet. We are waiting for it. It was not $11,000, but a lot more than the travel insurance cost.

BTW, my daughter's family of 4 and my husband all got the flu. I was the only one who didn't - priceless! :) Most importantly, they are all fine now.

Edited by KansasK

Let's get this out there first, I did not take the cruise insurance, I have been on 7 cruises and never needed, not even close. Now after saying that my party of 7 was scheduled to fly out of Nashville yesterday to Ft Lauderdale to board the oasis of seas with a 4:30pm departure. At approximately 9am the FAA grounded all flights entering Florida airspace due to severe weather. After waiting 4 hours to take off it was clear we were going to miss cruise. I called RCI they said I could meet the ship but two passengers did not have valid passports, they then said we could transfer and book on the allure the next day but not enough rooms. I then stated we would simply rebook on the same ship with same itinerary on June 18th and it began, all departments, emergency, post cruise, and passenger relations said sorry we will be keeping your $11,000 and you will get nothing not even a free pina colada, have a nice day. There were over 1000 passengers that missed this boat yesterday. Someone please give me some recourse. Taking all suggestions. Thanks

Your recourse WAS for the five in your party that had a passport to fly into the first port and board the following day and enjoy the rest of the cruise. Or to take whatever cabins were available on Allure for the next day. INSTEAD you chose to accept none of these alternatives and fight RCI for an $11,000 refund that you are not entitled to receive. Sorry, but your judgement sucks. Good luck with your refund.

I'm really sorry this happened to you. Don't understand why those with passports didn't opt to catch up with the ship and the others try to take the Allure. Not quite the same but would have mitigated the damages somewhat. Maybe you thought you'd get a refund or something but that's not going to happen. This is why others buy insurance.

Not to pile on as I am sure you are already feeling bad enough but you were given 2 options that you declined. You chose not to take either so now you are owed nothing. Very expensive lessons learned.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Not to pile on as I am sure you are already feeling bad enough but you were given 2 options that you declined. You chose not to take either so now you are owed nothing. Very expensive lessons learned.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Oh, I think that there is very little chance that the OP is reading any of this...................... :cool:

First of all, I am very sorry that you missed your cruise. A very painful, stressful and expensive lesson to learn.

For those who are suggesting that RCI should somehow compensate you or allow you to book another cruise with that money, please think of this:

Original Poster paid $11,000 for a set of rooms on the Oasis 4/2/16 cruise.

His party miss that cruise at the last minute, and those cabins remained empty for the cruise. RCI was not able to 'resell' them and earn any additional money on them as they would have in the case of a last minute cancellation that was perhaps several days before the cruise. These cabins were held for OP until sail away and beyond in case they were able to catch up.

If they allowed OP to book another cruise with their original $11,000 paid, then RCI will be out that money. It would be essentially getting two cruises for the price of one - even though the cabins went empty on the first cruise.

RCI is not a charity. They are a for profit business that is held accountable to their stockholders. This was not a case of someone having a heart attack on the way to the ship. Or a family member dying. (God forbid.) This was a case of poor planning and not taking prudent measures.

The prices for everyone go up in the long run if RCI allows people to rebook due to their own mistakes.

Hard lesson to learn, but adults take risks all the time - sometimes they don't pay off.

Totally agree, we live in Florida and still drive to the port a day early. You never know how the weather will be the day of the cruise. Plus we like to get the party started early.