Lack Of Tipping In The Diamond Lounge

I know this will anger some people and I hope it does. We just returned from Serenade of The Seas 11-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise. Before dinner every night we went to the Diamond Lounge to enjoy a free drink and met several new friends and enjoyed the benefits of cruising a lot. Here's my anger: We were questioned on 2 different occasions as to why we were tipping the bartender when he served us. Seriously people!!!! The first gentlemen stated it was unnecessary and not recommended. Then a lady informed me she traveled and paid enough over the years that RCCL owed her and she would never think of tipping in the Diamond Lounge. To some my anger might be pathetic or petty, but these crew members were more than accommodating from what I observed and if tipping a few dollars on a free drink is too much for some people than maybe they should reevaluate themselves.

I know this will anger some people and I hope it does. We just returned from Serenade of The Seas 11-Night Southern Caribbean Cruise. Before dinner every night we went to the Diamond Lounge to enjoy a free drink and met several new friends and enjoyed the benefits of cruising a lot. Here's my anger: We were questioned on 2 different occasions as to why we were tipping the bartender when he served us. Seriously people!!!! The first gentlemen stated it was unnecessary and not recommended. Then a lady informed me she traveled and paid enough over the years that RCCL owed her and she would never think of tipping in the Diamond Lounge. To some my anger might be pathetic or petty, but these crew members were more than accommodating from what I observed and if tipping a few dollars on a free drink is too much for some people than maybe they should reevaluate themselves.

Sounds to me like you were challenged by someone who only wants to justify themselves being cheap. In a passive aggressive way, I simply would have told them that because the drinks are free, that doesn't mean to ignore the great service. Besides, look at it this way, if those people don't tip, they likely never experienced getting drinks that are aside from the printed menu. Their loss ;)

I sailed 10 days on Serenade at the end of Feb/early March. On that cruise the people I was sitting near always tipped at least a dollar a drink (cheap drink!). I agree that the staff should be tipped - they were so pleasant. Also remembered "your drink" from the previous day. The bar tender did generous pours. For solo women you used to depend on their husband to tip must remember that it is now their responsibility . I can say that because I fit the category. As for not "being recommended" the gentleman should have read numerous posts on this board . RCI doesn't owe anyone - Diamond lounge is a nice perk.

Hopefully those people are not the norm. Those are some of the most deserving dollars I have spent. The staff we have encountered in the DL's have always been exceptional.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We tip at the end of the cruise. Sometimes I will add tips to my onboard account for the Concierge, or add it for the "Concierge Lounge (or, Diamond Lounge) Staff". Usually, it's a cash tip at the end.

The rude people the OP encountered were the exception, and I agree they were speaking out to justify their own cheapness.

We started out tipping at the end of the cruise, then realized we had more than a few waiters over the course of the cruise, including the bartender when we sat at the bar in the CL on Radiance class, so we started tipping 5 bucks for the couple of drinks we had each night. Later, since we were alternating so much between DL and CL, we decided that was even better to tip 2 bucks for each set of 2 drinks so we could make sure we tipped each person that waited on us. I now bring a pack (50.00) of one dollar bills for each cruise. ;)

Now, it may be they all pool their tips and share in the pot, but just wanted to be sure

just in case they did not.

Edited by island lady

BTW: Good post. I totally agree with you and would have been appalled at the crass

behavior/attitude of your traveling mates.

I pity the waiters at the restaurants they frequent. Shame.

So what did you say those people?

At the end of the day as long as I do right by others and can live with my actions I don't spend too much time worrying about what others do. Spending energy on things that I can't control or change is mostly energy wasted.

To some my anger might be pathetic or petty, but these crew members were more than accommodating from what I observed and if tipping a few dollars on a free drink is too much for some people than maybe they should reevaluate themselves.

I don't find you pathetic or petty at all. I, too, get pretty hot when I witness people being treated unfairly.

In either the DL or the CL. But if this is true then the folks you spoke with seem to be pathetic and petty, not to mention cheap......K.O. And as far as the first gentleman saying it is not recommended, he is a liar plain and simple.

We started out tipping at the end of the cruise, then realized we had more than a few waiters over the course of the cruise, including the bartender when we sat at the bar in the CL on Radiance class, so we started tipping 5 bucks for the couple of drinks we had each night. Later, since we were alternating so much between DL and CL, we decided that was even better to tip 2 bucks for each set of 2 drinks so we could make sure we tipped each person that waited on us. I now bring a pack (50.00) of one dollar bills for each cruise. ;)

Now, it may be they all pool their tips and share in the pot, but just wanted to be sure

just in case they did not.

We followed the same pattern - we figured out that it is easier to tip per drink at time of service rather than figuring out at the end - and at the end if we feel there has been a particular server that has gone above and beyond we tip them a little extra.

So what did you say those people?

At the end of the day as long as I do right by others and can live with my actions I don't spend too much time worrying about what others do. Spending energy on things that I can't control or change is mostly energy wasted.

While I very much believe in tipping the servers in the Concierge and Diamond Lounges, and have even started threads about it, "to get the word out", I agree with OB.

We noticed that very few people tip in the diamond lounge, and that bothers us, too.

We just returned from a back-to-back on Adventure. We have always enjoyed our time in the diamond lounge and tip our servers each night - usually $5 to $10, depending our what we ordered. On the last night we give a larger tip, usually $20. Since we had different servers each night, we like tipping nightly. My husband and I have always had excellent service in the lounge and would never think not to tip!

tiping is so wrong for many reasons. I never Tip do n ot belive in it.

I hope one day your livelihood is based on a tip dependent position just like these cruise ship employees. Bet your tune changes real quick.

You may want to go back and check for:

Capitalization

Punctuation

Spelling

Formation of a sentence..... before anyone takes your opinion seriously.

I read this his/her post as being from someone with a lot of class.....all low.

We always tip with each round of drinks. I worked as a cocktail waitress in a former life and know how good it feels to be rewarded for good service. Some people are uneducated and some are just cheap. My opinion.

veddy intewesting. on our last cruise, we met and got to know MANY D+s and Pinnacles who frequented the CL with us. they all tipped a dollar per drink.. even if half the guys only drank tonic water. these were people who were staking out their couches an hour before cocktail hour and closed it down every night so many cans were opened. We, like we normally do, tipped at the end.

I almost was tempted to keep track of the dollars handed out to compare with what we tipped at the end for approximately the same number of drinks over the course of the week. and the JD and cokes Mr spook got were decidedly in favor of the JD.