Upgraded, interactive TV systems on existing ships

Luvmyrotti

I recently inquired on the Princess facebook page if there was a roll-out plan for the interactive TV system, since it is currently only on the newer ships (and retrofitted only on the Sapphire). The response was as follows:

Hi Doreen, currently there is no plan to extend the interactive TV for the rest of the fleet in near term.

So, I'm bummed out, as I had heard at one time that they would be rolling it out to the entire fleet. :(

I recently inquired on the Princess facebook page if there was a roll-out plan for the interactive TV system, since it is currently only on the newer ships (and retrofitted only on the Sapphire). The response was as follows:

Hi Doreen, currently there is no plan to extend the interactive TV for the rest of the fleet in near term.

So, I'm bummed out, as I had heard at one time that they would be rolling it out to the entire fleet. :(

Doreen, it's a bummer!

I noticed that we're both doing the 9/25 Mexico, Sea of Cortez cruise.... I'm looking forward to it! Head on over to the roll call?

I've got mixed emotions about the new system. While it's a good system to view movies you haven't seen before they lock people out from viewing their own selections. It's great for newer selections but I still prefer to have the capability of viewing my own at times.

Doreen, it's a bummer!

I noticed that we're both doing the 9/25 Mexico, Sea of Cortez cruise.... I'm looking forward to it! Head on over to the roll call?

Hi Nina, I'm actually on the Grand leaving the same date from San Francisco doing the Mexican Riviera rather than the Sea of Cortez sailing you are doing on the Crown from LA. Maybe we'll meet on another cruise sometime!

What is meant is that the new TVs do not allow one to plug in your own HDMI cable and watch your own videos or photos. The old sets still allow this.

Oh gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. With all of the choices on the new TVs I'm not sure it's as impactful as it was in the past. An inconvenience for those that used to use those ports, but I would much prefer the new system if it means sacrificing that option.

I've got mixed emotions about the new system. While it's a good system to view movies you haven't seen before they lock people out from viewing their own selections. It's great for newer selections but I still prefer to have the capability of viewing my own at times.

The best features (entertainment wise) on the new system:

o Ability to start a movie or presentation at the start (old sytem you had to know when it started to watch it from the start)

o Ability to stop a movie of other recorded item at any point and resume at that point whenever you want.

o Ability to watch recorded shipboard events such as game shows (Marriage Game for example) that you were unable to attend in person.

• 2 months later...

Also, the new TV's are HD and bigger. I don't know why anyone would like the old, small, SD TV's with a terrible picture. I guess the same people who have an HD TV at home, and only watch SD channels stretched to fit the screen which makes everyone look like they gained 100 pounds!

The decision to not roll out the new interactive system to the rest of the fleet may have something to do with the amount of tv viewing done on the Royal and Regal. Passengers watching tv in their cabins are not in the bars and shops onboard spending money.

The decision to not roll out the new interactive system to the rest of the fleet may have something to do with the amount of tv viewing done on the Royal and Regal. Passengers watching tv in their cabins are not in the bars and shops onboard spending money.

True, but if they are hoping to attract younger passengers they are missing the boat literally. The new TVs while not really highest tech are such an improvement and provide a lot of convenience. And without the done away with TV guides the old system is virtually useless to me. It takes forever to watch the scrolling screen to see what is playing at what time on what channel.

On the new TVs, can you check your onboard account and order room service?

No you cannot order room service and I don't believe I saw checking your account as an option but not quite sure in that one.

The new system does not have these functions however from your mobile device you can access the free intranet Princess@Sea function to view your onboard account which was more convenient for me than getting a printout at the kiosk near PSD in the atrium.

Celebrity has had this system for years and doesn't seem to hurt their bottom line.....now with drink packages maybe they should hope you spend more time in your cabin vice the bars :eek:

The new system does not have these functions however from your mobile device you can access the free intranet Princess@Sea function to view your onboard account which was more convenient for me than getting a printout at the kiosk near PSD in the atrium.

Thanks, didn't realize that. Will have to download that app before leaving for sure. Update: Having trouble finding the app. What is it called in the App Store? Thanks for the help!

I agree with SherifffJoe - Celebrity's system is really convenient. It helps being able to order room service via the TV so there's no explaining what you want a ton of times to someone who doesn't speak English well. You just click what you want and it's delivered.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario
update-help?

Thanks, didn't realize that. Will have to download that app before leaving for sure. Update: Having trouble finding the app. What is it called in the App Store? Thanks for the help!

No need to download an app because now you access Princess@Sea and Messenger just by opening your device's web browser & signing into your account.

This webpage has info on P@S but disregard the app download info because it's unnecessary & is not available now.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/princess-at-sea/

I agree with SherifffJoe - Celebrity's system is really convenient. It helps being able to order room service via the TV so there's no explaining what you want a ton of times to someone who doesn't speak English well. You just click what you want and it's delivered.

No need to download any app before you Leave. Once invaded the ship, just open your browser and have your WiFi on, and it will automatically connect to ships intranet and bring up the app via browser. You can access the Patter, access your account, login to the Internet, and use messenger service around the ship.

Enjoy.

No need to download an app because now you access Princess@Sea and Messenger just by opening your device's web browser & signing into your account.

This webpage has info on P@S but disregard the app download info because it's unnecessary & is not available now.

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/princess-at-sea/

No need to download any app before you Leave. Once invaded the ship, just open your browser and have your WiFi on, and it will automatically connect to ships intranet and bring up the app via browser. You can access the Patter, access your account, login to the Internet, and use messenger service around the ship.

Enjoy.

Thank you both for the help! :)