A tip from a Wino...

j3000

We just made our first trip with Princess (The Regal). After finally figuring out their wine policy at embarkation in F.L. we boarded with 5 bottles (2 @n/c, and 3 got "stickered" @ $15), no problem. What I WASN'T aware of was: when you get off at ports (in this case St. Thomas & St. Maarten, you can ALSO bring back on board 2 bottles - for room consumption, at no charge.) I happen to ask the guards about this after we had seen a store selling (very-low-priced!) wine in ST, and were getting back on board. He assured me this was OK - even tho' I told him we had already brought 2 N/C bottles on board when we left FL. So I ran back off the ship, bought a couple bottles & came back on board. No problemo. Same thing in St. Maarten. (Note: this must just apply to WINE as I saw lots of (presumably) liquor being held at the boarding). Just mentioning it here in case others are not aware ....Hic!...

Edited by jargey3000

We did a winery tour in Ensenada and everybody was given wine. At one of the places some also bought another bottle of wine. Nothing at all was said when we brought it onboard.

Note: Unless you are drinking White Port, Thunderbird, or MD 20/20 I don't think you get to call yourself a "wino". :rolleyes:

Edited by Thrak

We just made our first trip with Princess (The Regal). After finally figuring out their wine policy at embarkation in F.L. we boarded with 5 bottles (2 @n/c, and 3 got "stickered" @ $15), no problem. What I WASN'T aware of was: when you get off at ports (in this case St. Thomas & St. Maarten, you can ALSO bring back on board 2 bottles - for room consumption, at no charge.) I happen to ask the guards about this after we had seen a store selling (very-low-priced!) wine in ST, and were getting back on board. He assured me this was OK - even tho' I told him we had already brought 2 N/C bottles on board when we left FL. I ran off the ship, bought a couple bottles & came back on board. No problemo. Same thing in St. Maarten. (Note: this must just apply to WINE as I saw lots of (presumably) liquor being held at the boarding). Just mentioning it here in case others are not aware ....Hic!...

Thank you, It's good to know.🍾 🍷

Tony

We did a winery tour in Ensenada and everybody was given wine. At one of the places some also bought another bottle of wine. Nothing at all was said when we brought it onboard.

Note: Unless you are drinking White Port, Thunderbird, or MD 20/20 I don't think you get to call yourself a "wino". :rolleyes:

Sorry, I don't drink the "good stuff"!:D

We did this also on the Ruby. There was a sign on the table where you check in your booze that said 2 bottles were 0kay. We still buy the wine package JIC we've got a few sea days and no ports. The wine tour in Ensenada is well worth the time and money. The wine is very good and we did buy a couple bottles of Sauvignon Blanc. Took all 4 bottles on board and no questions asked.

Edited by elliair

Interesting.

I can report that I have walked bottles of wine back on board after port stops in San Francisco and Santa Barbara. I was wondering if the Princess policy was relaxed in ports where they know people are visiting wineries--including Princess sponsored excursions. Maybe, based on Jargey's report, Princess does not choose to enforce their policy as strictly has they have written it. However, my guess is that if they feel they are losing revenue, they can change the enforcement level with the stroke of a pen by some vice president. :(

Let us not leave out our illegitimate cousins: Boonsfarm Strawberry Hill, Blue Hawaiian, and the ever popular Fuzzy Navel. Deliciousness and blood poisoning-- one box at a time!

We did this also on the Ruby. There was a sign on the table where you check in your booze that said 2 bottles were 0kay. We still buy the wine package JIC we've got a few sea days and no ports. The wine tour in Ensenada is well worth the time and money. The wine is very good and we did buy a couple bottles of Sauvignon Blanc. Took all 4 bottles on board and no questions asked.

For future reference--- La Cetto wines are sold in the local markets for about $8US. Seen them at both Calimax and Soriana.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Let us not leave out our illegitimate cousins: Boonsfarm Strawberry Hill, Blue Hawaiian, and the ever popular Fuzzy Navel. Deliciousness and blood poisoning-- one box at a time!

One of the 2 times I got sick from drinking was many, many years ago on "Old Niagara" plunk (do they sell that in US?) vile stuff!

One of the 2 times I got sick from drinking was many, many years ago on "Old Niagara" plunk (do they sell that in US?) vile stuff!

Back in the day one would grab a big jug of Red Mountain and head up to the park for an outdoor free concert. Of course the folks at the golf course complained so much that the concerts were killed after a couple of years. I guess the 200 - 300 people enjoying the music were far less important than the 20 or so golfers. After all, we did have long hair...

I don't know if they still make Red Mountain but, if they do... GAH!!! (It was really cheap for a gallon jug. :eek:)

For future reference--- La Cetto wines are sold in the local markets for about $8US. Seen them at both Calimax and Soriana.

I'll have to see if it's at BevMo the next time I travel 35 miles to the town where there is one. Thanks for reminding me of the wineries name.

I have an uncanny ability to walk the aisles of a wine shop, read the label, and immediately remember whether I had a good experience with it or not. Mostly the problem was if the wine was too tanic. Sometimes my stomach would begin to hurt and I would want to leave the store, post-haste. I can only imagine what my stomach would do if I drank some of the stuff you guys are so fondly reminiscing. But then again, we had less delicate stomachs back then. I thought I was roughing it with Blue Nun back in the 70's. :p

For I future reference--- La Cetto wines are sold in the local markets for about $8US. Seen them at both Calimax and Soriana.

I visited the wineries in Ensenada last November for the first time and really loved the tour and all the wine there. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the L.A.cetto wine again ,probably would buy it at grocery store like Soriana if I were ever in Ensenada again. Julie

I have an uncanny ability to walk the aisles of a wine shop, read the label, and immediately remember whether I had a good experience with it or not. Mostly the problem was if the wine was too tanic. Sometimes my stomach would begin to hurt and I would want to leave the store, post-haste. I can only imagine what my stomach would do if I drank some of the stuff you guys are so fondly reminiscing. But then again, we had less delicate stomachs back then. I thought I was roughing it with Blue Nun back in the 70's. :p

Blue Nun ! A blast from the past. Any UK readers remember Piat D'or, advertised as "The French adore Le Piat D'or". The French, of course, had never heard of this awful vinegary blend of wine.

I'll have to see if it's at BevMo the next time I travel 35 miles to the town where there is one. Thanks for reminding me of the wineries name.

I visited the wineries in Ensenada last November for the first time and really loved the tour and all the wine there. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the L.A.cetto wine again ,probably would buy it at grocery store like Soriana if I were ever in Ensenada again. Julie

The other winery is Doña Lupe. Never seen the wine, oils or jams/jellies in the markets.

Could contact La Cetto

http://www.cettowines.com/vinos-la-cetto-ventas.html

Edited by SadieN

Never was much for wine as a youngster. We use to take 3 gallon jugs (Glass) into our favorite watering hole and get them filled up with Bud on Tap! Then head for the golf course and have one heck of a party! (By the way we weren't quite 18 which happened to be legal age in KS.) :eek: :D

Just Mike