Reasonable Hotels San Diego - Near Cruise Port

bionicbeacher

Hotels in San Diego tend to be expensive. The Embassy suites includes breakfast. I am not sure about a shuttle. It is not far from the port so a cab won't cost too much. If you post this question on the west coast departures board you may get more information.

I agree with the Embassy Suites recommendation.

If you look on the West Coast Departures board, where San Diego is covered, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

you will find a current, active thread on hotels. If you post there, you might want to define "reasonable" as that means different things to different people.

I'd recommend the Wyndham San Diego Bayside, right across the street from the pier, or Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina across the bay. Neither includes breakfast, but both have airport shuttles, and Wyndham has shuttle to the pier, although you can just walk across the street to the pier if you don't have too much luggage to schlep :)

We like to stay at the Best Western Plus Bay Side Inn. They say 3 blocks, but it is actually 5 blocks uphill from the port and includes complimentary breakfast buffet which includes a variety of hot and cold items. We also include complimentary Wi-Fi and shuttle service for the airport and cruise terminal.

Prices are very reasonable. They've just completed a $1.5 million renovation and it is beautiful:)

Prices range from $179.00-$199.00 per night. For a hotel so close to the port, these are extremely reasonable to us:)

http://bestwesterncalifornia.com/hotels/best-western-plus-bayside-inn

We've stayed there in the past and really, really like it. Like it so much we are staying there again tomorrow night:)

There is 1 hotel directly across from the port that we always stayed at previously, but after spending our first time at the Best Western Plus, never again:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Porto Vista has free airport shuttle and will shuttle to cruise terminal. Prices vary depending on demand, often include free breakfast. You are only a short block from the heart of Little Italy with many restaurants. Definitely, cannot walk to cruise terminal from there.

We just booked a cruise that departs San Diego end of September.... and I was searching also for a pre-cruise night in San Diego.

I had checked out most of the above mentioned options and found them to be rather expensive for us, but I'm sure they are quite nice and worth it if you are staying for a bit of time... $200 - $300/night, maybe our particular night is a busy or special time?

But I found Urban Boutique Hotel. It has good reviews, an airport shuttle service, breakfast, no shuttle to the pier but we figure a short cab will be fine or an allmost 1-km walk/roll if the weather is good. I used Booking dot com and booked fully cancellable for $92 total with taxes for a King, other rooms were cheaper with smaller beds(Q or DBL), or more expensive for a suite; this is for a Thursday night. YMMV They have 52 rooms over 4 floors but with elevator. Booking dot com was a lot cheaper than booking direct and I've been using them for years so am comfortable with their system.

This hotel is not your mainstream type, it has small rooms (think European) but is close to restaurantd in Little Italy for dinner. Our flight arrives 6:30pm so we didn't want to spend $200- $300 for a few hours before boarding. It s not as close as the other recommendations but not very far either and we plan to walk it unless the weather is poor.

I had difficulty searching through the West Coast Departures forum, not a lot of threads for San Diego. There were folks who had good luck with Priceline, so that my be something to consider. Or you could stay near the airport and cab in to the pier.

Hope you find what suits you. m--

Edited by RMLincoln

I just checked the following rates for the night we are needing, 29 Sept in hopes that I'd find something better than what we have reserved... ... seems like it may be a popular Thursday night... these are for a king bed:

Hampton Inn $213 non refundable; $225 no penalty cancel; has breakfast

Wyndam $226 non refundable; $283 non penalty cancel; no breakfast

Embassy Suites $288 non refundable; $303 non penalty cancel; has breakfast

m--

We have stayed at Hampton and Wyndam by the pier. Both are within easy walking distance and in fact if you stay in the Wyndam tower it is about the same distance to the old pier than it is to the front desk!

Hampton has free breakfast, but try to get a room facing the front, as the rear facing ones come with ear plugs (due to the trains going by!). The trains are not bad in late evening/ very early morning however.

I also like the Hampton Inn. Breakfast included and they have a shuttle service to and from the airport and to and from the pier. Have never used it to get to the cruise terminal. It's easier and quicker just to walk over there if you're physically able. Beats sitting in a long line of traffic waiting to drop passenger off.

If you can't find anything in downtown, Old Town can work. There's a Holiday Inn Express (used to be a Comfort Inn) that has shuttle service. I've stayed there twice when downtown was booked solid and/or what was available was out of my price range.

Roz

We just booked a cruise that departs San Diego end of September.... and I was searching also for a pre-cruise night in San Diego.

I had checked out most of the above mentioned options and found them to be rather expensive for us, but I'm sure they are quite nice and worth it if you are staying for a bit of time... $200 - $300/night, maybe our particular night is a busy or special time?

But I found Urban Boutique Hotel. It has good reviews, an airport shuttle service, breakfast, no shuttle to the pier but we figure a short cab will be fine or an allmost 1-km walk/roll if the weather is good. I used Booking dot com and booked fully cancellable for $92 total with taxes for a King, other rooms were cheaper with smaller beds(Q or DBL), or more expensive for a suite; this is for a Thursday night. YMMV They have 52 rooms over 4 floors but with elevator. Booking dot com was a lot cheaper than booking direct and I've been using them for years so am comfortable with their system.

This hotel is not your mainstream type, it has small rooms (think European) but is close to restaurantd in Little Italy for dinner. Our flight arrives 6:30pm so we didn't want to spend $200- $300 for a few hours before boarding. It s not as close as the other recommendations but not very far either and we plan to walk it unless the weather is poor.

I had difficulty searching through the West Coast Departures forum, not a lot of threads for San Diego. There were folks who had good luck with Priceline, so that my be something to consider. Or you could stay near the airport and cab in to the pier.

Hope you find what suits you. m--

If you book direct with the hotel on their website you get a discount...just google it. More and more hotels are offering lower rates for direct bookings as they are tired of paying commissions of 23 percent or more to the booking.com/expedia/priceline bunch...always a good idea to check direct with hotel before you book...plus IF you have a problem at the hotel and booked via a third party they will refer you back to them to resolve....book direct with the hotel and you deal with the hotel.

Hampton Inn $213 non refundable; $225 no penalty cancel; has breakfast

Wyndam $226 non refundable; $283 non penalty cancel; no breakfast

Embassy Suites $288 non refundable; $303 non penalty cancel; has breakfast

m--

Good info, except lets talk apples and apples here. Embassy Suites includes free drinks and food at their evening reception, their breakfast is at least twice- maybe triple- as much choice for breakfast as Hampton Inn, and if you are more than 2 people, the basic Embassy Suites room is a two room suite with fairly comfortable room for 4 total occupants.

I stay in Hamptons and Embassy Suites 20-30 nights a year (including the San Diego Embassy Suites several times). While Hampton is a fine hotel chain, Embassy Suites is a couple levels above. Which would explain the price difference.

Edited by CruiserBruce

If you book direct with the hotel on their website you get a discount...just google it. More and more hotels are offering lower rates for direct bookings as they are tired of paying commissions of 23 percent or more to the booking.com/expedia/priceline bunch...always a good idea to check direct with hotel before you book...plus IF you have a problem at the hotel and booked via a third party they will refer you back to them to resolve....book direct with the hotel and you deal with the hotel.

I agree with you and I often book directly with the hotel for discounts and ease, but in this case they were much more expensive. This didn't make sense to me but that's the way this once worked out. I have had good luck with Booking dot com, especially once in Australia when they contacted me with an alternative hotel because our reserved property was temporarily closed for remodel; the alternative they offered us was same price and better place. I have never had an issue with them; I think they offer limited rooms at their prices so I grab them when I can. m--

Greatly appreciate everyone,s input.....I just didn't know where to start ....with this information I now can find something to our liking. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question....very considerate of all of you. Cheers, Ken:):)

I agree with you and I often book directly with the hotel for discounts and ease, but in this case they were much more expensive. This didn't make sense to me but that's the way this once worked out. I have had good luck with Booking dot com, especially once in Australia when they contacted me with an alternative hotel because our reserved property was temporarily closed for remodel; the alternative they offered us was same price and better place. I have never had an issue with them; I think they offer limited rooms at their prices so I grab them when I can. m--

the urban hotel website has a button called specials where they clearly state that booking direct with them will get lowest price of ANY website...i'd call them and ask them to match or undercut booking.com..

in my opinion the priceline group has gotten way too big and are driving hotel prices UP by their demands for huge commissions often in a very threatening manner of either do what we demand or we will drop you from our listings....note hilton and marriott especially are starting to resent this pressure and are fighting back with better offers for those who book direct...remember priceline etc does not own or operate a single hotel room, rental car or cruise cabin but seem to think they deserve to make more money than the people who actually OWN and/or OPERATE the properties...they have grown HUGE but their massive profits have to be paid ultimately by someone and that someone will eventually be the consumers....not always possible but i always at least try to book direct and i have yet to find a hotel that won't match or undercut the price from the online non direct booking sites.....i am not sure but i also think that booking direct may well result in a better room as the yield to the hotel is greater and some hotels give the better rooms to those that give them a better yield...anyway...my two cents worth but to each his own...

Greatly appreciate everyone,s input.....I just didn't know where to start ....with this information I now can find something to our liking. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question....very considerate of all of you. Cheers, Ken:):)

We live here in Sunny San Diego!!! Just came back watching the Zaandam leave our port today!!!!

Listen we live in a little beach community about 20 minutes from downtown. All of our HAL cruises we always stay the nite before at The Hampton Inn!!! We are Hilton Honors members and it is so close to the pier!!!! We take our coaster train and walk to hotel!!! Enjoy dinner at the old wonderful Anthony's fish market for dinner and you can see your ship docked!!! Breakfast is great and the management is wonderful!!! We are booked there for our 2 month European cruise in Oct on the 9th on the Eurodam. We are leaving on Sept. 3rd to Europe and follow by cruise on Oct 9 out of Venice!!!

So close for walking to the ship!!! A lot of other hotels but the price and in walking distance is perfect!

Denise:)

We've stayed at the Hampton Inn also, and I second that it's a good hotel and ask for a quiet room. I've stayed at and enjoyed other hotels there, but they were for business or using points so I don't remember prices. Wherever you stay, know that San Diego has a good public transit system, with fair prices for trams and buses, so if you're going to have time, pick up a day pass and play.

I am writing this from the top floor overlooking the water at the Best Western Plus Bayside. We are staying for 2 nights before boarding the Niuew Amsterdam on Monday. It's a great location and walking distance to so much. Since it is our first time staying in San Diego in over 25 years we chose a king bay view room. Price was $188 per night.

They provide free shuttle to/from airport as well as cruise port. They also provide a complimentary breakfast hot/cold buffet (which we will experience tomorrow).

We also walked to Anthony's (only a short walk away) to check it out as about 20 of us CC'ers are meeting for supper there tomorrow night. (Thanks Joanie for arranging that!)

Saw the beautiful Zaandam there too which just got us excited for Monday for the NA.

We walked to the Cheesecake factory for supper & back. Saw where the Embassy Suites are (basically across from Cheesecake Factory) so it looks like a good option perhaps to try next time we come.

Hope you find something that is reasonable for you. For us the exchange rate hurts but we factor that into our cost of the vacation.

We have stayed many times at the Embassy Suites both pre and post cruise.

One time we stayed at the Hampton Inn as there was a convention and the Embassy Suites was booked. Never again. Small room. Because we were flying home across country, we had to leave early. Thus we were not able to take advantage of the free breakfast and their airport shuttle (a few years ago) didn't start until 6 AM. Not worth the $200+ (with taxes).

I am writing this from the top floor overlooking the water at the Best Western Plus Bayside. We are staying for 2 nights before boarding the Niuew Amsterdam on Monday. It's a great location and walking distance to so much. Since it is our first time staying in San Diego in over 25 years we chose a king bay view room. Price was $188 per night.

They provide free shuttle to/from airport as well as cruise port. They also provide a complimentary breakfast hot/cold buffet (which we will experience tomorrow).

>SNIP<

We usually stay there because

• we can use Air Miles,
  • there is a floor for smokers (or there used to be), and
  • the location is decent.

Aesthetically, nothing appeals to us, but it keeps us dry and not sleeping on the street :) For us, the pros outweigh the cons and the staff were very pleasant, better than the actual hotel would have led us to expect.

I'll be interested in your feedback about the complimentary breakfast. Is it still done at that place that is a bit away from the hotel, down the stairs, sort of basement but with big windows and some outdoor area?