Friends have a suite, can I get in?

You have mentioned several times that you are paying $1000s of dollars for your suite. Don't forget that in order to achieve their status many diamonds, and especially diamond plus guests, have spent far more over long periods of time. Also many do also travel in suites..

Unless you were in a Suite you were not paying for anything but a Cruise. You paid for a cruise holiday, that's what you got. In no way, notionally or otherwise did you invest your money in being given Suite Privileges in the future. You talk about status as if it is an Adjective which describes you. You have 'points' in a notional, almost abstract man-made construct which is like a balloon. Once it's popped it's gone.

I am just hoping Royal Caribbean makes this change quickly.

That's a good idea

Anytime outside free cocktail time would work fine. As we all know the lounges tend to be near to empty then.

There is then the option for the non suite guests to purchase drinks if they so wish to.

It doesn't have to be an every day or every night occurrence, but it is nice to enjoy with good friends and family.

And now with the new Royal Suite program they have even more to market. Maybe meeting a Genie will be a part of the tour. :)

Wow, this thread has been an interesting read. I remember years ago when Royal changed from cruises to the current point system. We got caught in the switch over and had to take another cruise to make Diamond. Was I ticked...yeah a bit. My sister and brother in law were Diamond Plus at the time and it would never have dawned on me (nor them) to think to try and get perks we had not earned.

Those days are long gone, although as someone else posted earlier, the whole CAS thing will probably change. If we lose some privileges we will be disappointed of course, even more so if others are invited in when not eligible.

Will it have an effect on our cruising with Royal. Nope, we don't cruise for the perks (but nice to get them).

I am D+ and always book a GS or above for the larger cabin and all of the suite perks to include the complimentary cocktails in a private lounge and the dedicated restaurant. I can't count the number of times that my DH and I have been unable to find a seat in the CL and had to stand with a cocktail. I don't think non-suite guests should ever be allowed in the SL or Coastal Kitchen since they have not paid for the privilege which I pay extra for. The dedicated lounge, cocktails and restaurant alone are worth a pretty penny on a cruise. When I sail on Celebrity, only suite guests have access to Michael's Club and Luminae, their version of the SL and Coastal Kitchen. Non-suite guests are allowed to join suite guests in Luminae restaurant for a fee of $50 pp for dinner, $30 lunch and $20 for breakfast. Luminae like Coastal Kitchen is similar to a specialty restaurant and should not be free for non-suite passengers. It's called SUITE LOUNGE for a reason and that it's for SUITE GUESTS. If suite guests would like family members to join them in the SL and Coastal Kitchen, maybe they should consider booking family suites or lofts so everyone has a gold card.

I am sick and tired of being told that just b/c I sail in full suites only that I am not entitled to voice my opinion of suite lounge access by those who have not earned the privilege or paid for it.

I am not even diamond yet but by choosing to spend extra money every cruise on a suite I expect to get what I pay for.. and that means not having to scramble for a chair or worry about whether or not the ones already sitting are actually entitled to be there and were not snuck in, bribed in or otherwise felt the rules didn't apply to them.

It's bad enough my expectation when I booked my first cruise was shattered because the Company changed the rules on allowing kids in the lounge during cocktail hour. ( and we have had several instances where kids did ruin the ambience) I have sucked it up and accepted that policy changed, although I still voice my dislike of the change every time.

Agreed.

It wouldn't even occur to me to ask to do that. Suite guests pay like $7,000 more than the rest of us for their cruise, if I paid that much more I would be pissed if people who didn't pay for it ended up getting the same perks. I persoanlly don't think any of those perks are worth that kind of money, but if other people want to pay $7,000 more for $40 worth of free drinks in a special drink lounge, an extra pay restaurant and a roped off area to sit separated from the rest of us rubes on the pool deck, they should get to have those benefits without the rest of us trying to sneak in just because we know someone who was willing (or able) to pay more money than us.

The suite guests are actually supplementing the costs of running the ship so the rest of us can pay less money for the vacation. If they didn't have a few people paying 5 times more than the rest of us, then we'd all have to pay more money, so let them have their $7000 private lounge and pretty colored sea pass cards and meet up with them later.

If your friends really want to be able to spend their vacation with you guys, they would (or could) downgrade their cabin (or not go to the off-limits places when they want to be with you). Otherwise, just accept that you're gonna have some time to yourselves while they enjoy those expensive benefits for an hour or so.

no gold colored sea pass NO ACCESS and NO SUITE PERKS. and you have no right to ask them to break the rules for you.

at best they MIGHT be allowed to invite you as a guest for dinner( * at a cost ) in the CK if it is not booked solid.

HUGE difference between children/grandchildren and friends.

So your first statement says no gold card no access but then you imply okay for family but not for friends becaus that's different:confused:. Do you really think people ask people that are cruising if their companions are friends or family?

The friends plan to travel together the same as family make their plans to travel together. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have family that can accompany them on cruises.

Do you have a copy of any concierges contract? Do you have written proof of your claim

On a few recent cruises, our concierges have asked us to distribute the tips to the servers in the CL

Which we gladly did, we also tipped the concierges, but hey this is not about tipping.

And like I said this is not a tipping thread.

Graham, it is true.

In 2008, Royal Caribbean HALVED the salaries of the Concierges and told them, "We're not going to pay you. Earn some tips."

I am sick and tired of being told that just b/c I sail in full suites only that I am not entitled to voice my opinion of suite lounge access by those who have not earned the privilege or paid for it.

I am not even diamond yet but by choosing to spend extra money every cruise on a suite I expect to get what I pay for.. and that means not having to scramble for a chair or worry about whether or not the ones already sitting are actually entitled to be there and were not snuck in, bribed in or otherwise felt the rules didn't apply to them.

It's bad enough my expectation when I booked my first cruise was shattered because the Company changed the rules on allowing kids in the lounge during cocktail hour. ( and we have had several instances where kids did ruin the ambience) I have sucked it up and accepted that policy changed, although I still voice my dislike of the change every time.

No one said allow access when it's busy, we said allow access when it's quiet so it doesn't impede on your enjoyment.

I think this is root of a lot of the misunderstandings in the Great Suite versus Diamond+ debate.

These are completely incomparable concepts.

One is loyalty/rewards scheme which has grown to a stage where it has taken on a life of its own. Where cruisers brag about spending Zero on their onboard account whilst squirrelled away in a inside cabin. Looking down their noses at others whilst simultaneously denying those who have paid for it access to their facilities (I know the vast majority are probably not like this but there's too much written here for it to be a figment of the imagination).

The others is an elevated service level which guest pay for contemporaneously, rather than some notional idea of accumulated loyalty equating to a stake in the company.

Mind you, it doesn't sound fair to let folk into to lounge if it deprives those who've paid for it access. Nothing to do with any perceived slight on the expectations of those in a loyalty program.

This has gone another page or two now so the conversation has undoubtedly changed but I just had to say, "well said" - couldn't have said it any better.

:)

From an RC perspective,

Suite guests bring in non suite guests, in turn those who have now seen the SL/CL really like what they see, then go and book a Full Suite in the future to experience the Full Suite life.

Nonsense!

A person's choice of a suite is first and foremost an economic decision. If they can't afford it, they won't book it no matter how good it looks.

Secondly, why bother to book a suite when you can just book a sailing with your buddy who has a suite knowing that they will sneak you in despite the fact that you may be in an inside cabin. That's scamming the system at its best!

Graham, it is true.

In 2008, Royal Caribbean HALVED the salaries of the Concierges and told them, "We're not going to pay you. Earn some tips."

Yes, I remembered that this had happened but forgotten the year. Thanks for your confirmation!;)

No one said allow access when it's busy, we said allow access when it's quiet so it doesn't impede on your enjoyment.

Busy or slow - it's a suite privilege that a non-suite guest didn't pay for. There are plenty of other locations on the ship to relax.

Nonsense!

A person's choice of a suite is first and foremost an economic decision. If they can't afford it, they won't book it no matter how good it looks.

Secondly, why bother to book a suite when you can just book a sailing with your buddy who has a suite knowing that they will sneak you in despite the fact that you may be in an inside cabin. That's scamming the system at its best!

I find this thread really good entertainment.

I am a Suite Dweller, I pay big $$$ I really don't care who is in any lounge

I think some of you have missed the point.

If I pay $20k for a Royal Suite, I will ask if I can bring my Mum and Dad in with us. I will check with the concierge that it is ok first though.

If concierge says NO WAY!! That is perfectly fine,

Would I care if a family of 5 with their kids in a interior room brought their kids in, no way, they are family.

How would I know or care anyways.

Too many people worry too much about others

If there are no seats for us (see one of my previous posts) so be it

I am not going to get all worked up about it.

We will just sit outside and enjoy the great company outside.

To reiterate the cc police are really only the 0.02% of cruisers on any sailing that get all excited about a lounge.

The lounges typically for cruises at peak times have way fewer high level C&A members so the whole topic is reallly a non issue.

I do not consider myself entitled, so any lounge will do or any bar

Even though I have paid a premium to be called a "Suite Guest"

Happy Days!

Graham, it is true.

Carol,

Not doubting you on this, but did you hear this directly from RC or were you told this by a concierge(s)

In our experience over the past 15 years, concierges have asked us to distribute the tips amongst the servers (as I said previously as well, we still tip the concierge).

I was trying to keep this thread on topic, and not let this become the 9999 thread on tipping;)

Tipping threads are so old school:eek:

The point is the OP asked if they COULD. The answer is, despite people's opinions on the matter, yes it can happen with the concierges consent, which is normally off peak times and not regular occurrences.

Do people really sit there and check that the people next to them have gold cards? Just like when the DL is full do people check the status of everyone in there! the number of times I walk into a DL and someone grabs the door behind me and follows me in. Am I really going to ask them to show me their card to prove they should be entering?

YES!

RFS gets Suite Lounge access anyways!

As for the other 20, a few at a time would not of hurt anyone��

I was being facetious about us all using the lounge.

This wasn't our first rodeo and we were well aware the those in the RFS got access which they used along with our parents. The rest of us had a beverage package and felt no need to sit in a dark enclosed room.

Even if we wanted access we would have never asked because we knew the guidelines.

###

The point is the OP asked if they COULD. The answer is, despite people's opinions on the matter, yes it can happen with the concierges consent, which is normally off peak times and not regular occurrences.

Do people really sit there and check that the people next to them have gold cards? Just like when the DL is full do people check the status of everyone in there! the number of times I walk into a DL and someone grabs the door behind me and follows me in. Am I really going to ask them to show me their card to prove they should be entering?

It has become apparent that there are those who actually do check other passengers status, otherwise how would they know who was a Suite Guest and who was not ;)

Pretty much concludes the SL and DL police do exist:D

I was being facetious about us all using the lounge.

This wasn't our first rodeo and we were well aware the those in the RFS got access which they used along with our parents. The rest of us had a beverage package and felt no need to sit in a dark enclosed room.

Even if we wanted access we would have never asked because we knew the guidelines.

###

And if you brought them in or not, would not of bothered me one bit:)

That's my point, some just don't get it

They only issue was going to the SL bar and showing a non-gold card. The bartender told our niece "this is for suite guests only." We solved that problem pretty quick.

What does this mean? What is the issue? :confused:

If your nice was not staying in a suite (hence the blue card), why would she be entitled to complimentary beverages? Buying out Chef Table doesn't extended SL amenities to her. Showing a blue sea pass card with a drink package is a different animal.

When we were on Oasis in November The Next Cruise Sales Team was offering small group tours of the SL/CK. I thought it was a great way to market CK and the SL as a Gold Card benefit.

I can see bringing friends/family in during non-peak times to see the SL on Oasis class ships but don't think they should be able to partake in the complimentary drinks available to those with a Gold Card while they're visiting. This is unique to Oasis class ships as, for now, they're they only ones who offer complimentary beer, wine and soft drinks from 11am - 11:30 pm.

I agree. During off peak hours, I don't think there is much going on in the SL so others can visit. It is great free marketing for RC. To alleviate non suite guests partaking in the complimentary beverages, it should be a requirement to show a sea pass card during your first few visits. Afterwards, the bartenders tend to remember faces.

Honestly, in the end, it probably doesn't matter as you don't know who has a gold card unless you see it.

I think this is a brilliant idea. These day passes should be limited and the Limit can be amended cruise to cruise taking into account how busy the cruise is.

I would even go so far to say only People in a Suite can purchase those to get their friends / Family not staying in a Suite to join them.

I´m always of the opinion their ships their rules and it´s up to them if they give discretion to the Concierge or not. However my opinion on this is a clear cut rule with no discretion and only admitting those who are staying in the Suite or in other words in the Possession of the Gold Card with their Name printed on it.

As I pay for the Suite and the Overall cost of the Suite Operation will be built into my cruise fare I am very opposed to Family / friends being admitted into the Lounge. I don´t care about the space in there. I care about what I paid for and not willing to pay for others.

To me there is some harm done to those who have paid for their Suite when non Suite guests are admitted. For this reason I say let those Suite guests who wish to bring friends / Family pay for them By purchasing day passes, if there´s capacity for them.

We should run this idea towards RCI.

I couldn't agree more with what you said and I think it is a fabulous idea of day passes.

Just because you are in a suite all rules do apply to you to. That means no bringing in any army/family that isn't in a suite to SL. Making everyone pay for it!

Most likely the Concierge is not going to say anything, because it could be a detriment to the job performance and more over financially.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

no gold colored sea pass NO ACCESS and NO SUITE PERKS. and you have no right to ask them to break the rules for you.

at best they MIGHT be allowed to invite you as a guest for dinner( * at a cost ) in the CK if it is not booked solid.

As a JS guest with CK access at dinner we were allowed to bring guests one night. We ended up in CK 4 nights that voyage and never had an issue getting a table.

It seems to me that cc is the judge, jury and executioner.

No new system

Different sailings, different number of C&A levels, different number of people frequenting all lounges.

Discretion of staff at given times may vary with the above parameters taken into consideration.

Who actually says a D or D+ cannot bring a friend into a DL or D Club.

Is it in writing anywhere

I am sure people have, people will and those folk have probably never even heard of cruise critic.

And some on cc have probably done so as well.

All is really trivial

Before I even knew about cc, I used to wear my flip flops and bathrobe in the DL every morning to get coffee.

Now I know all the rules because of cc, I now wear my slippers instead:D

Actually, it is in writing. This statement has been on every welcome letter I have ever received.

f0e05bcc479845341b3332f4ae09f563.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk