Friends have a suite, can I get in?

I have an idea

Maybe RC could do like AA do, one day lounge passes for those not paying suite prices to experience what the $$$ have paid for.

$50 for an AA Admirals lounge day pass

$50 for an SL/CL day pass

Hope RC don't read this and get any ideas on this though:eek:

I think I worked out we are paying $1,000 extra per day for our suite.

...let hope they are not reading you idea.

Maybe Diamonds should get a discount...

I have an idea

Maybe RC could do like AA do, one day lounge passes for those not paying suite prices to experience what the $$$ have paid for.

$50 for an AA Admirals lounge day pass

$50 for an SL/CL day pass

Hope RC don't read this and get any ideas on this though:eek:

I think this is a brilliant idea. These day passes should be limited and the Limit can be amended cruise to cruise taking into account how busy the cruise is.

I would even go so far to say only People in a Suite can purchase those to get their friends / Family not staying in a Suite to join them.

I´m always of the opinion their ships their rules and it´s up to them if they give discretion to the Concierge or not. However my opinion on this is a clear cut rule with no discretion and only admitting those who are staying in the Suite or in other words in the Possession of the Gold Card with their Name printed on it.

As I pay for the Suite and the Overall cost of the Suite Operation will be built into my cruise fare I am very opposed to Family / friends being admitted into the Lounge. I don´t care about the space in there. I care about what I paid for and not willing to pay for others.

To me there is some harm done to those who have paid for their Suite when non Suite guests are admitted. For this reason I say let those Suite guests who wish to bring friends / Family pay for them By purchasing day passes, if there´s capacity for them.

We should run this idea towards RCI.

I think this is a brilliant idea. These day passes should be limited and the Limit can be amended cruise to cruise taking into account how busy the cruise is.

I would even go so far to say only People in a Suite can purchase those to get their friends / Family not staying in a Suite to join them.

I´m always of the opinion their ships their rules and it´s up to them if they give discretion to the Concierge or not. However my opinion on this is a clear cut rule with no discretion and only admitting those who are staying in the Suite or in other words in the Possession of the Gold Card with their Name printed on it.

As I pay for the Suite and the Overall cost of the Suite Operation will be built into my cruise fare I am very opposed to Family / friends being admitted into the Lounge. I don´t care about the space in there. I care about what I paid for and not willing to pay for others.

To me there is some harm done to those who have paid for their Suite when non Suite guests are admitted. For this reason I say let those Suite guests who wish to bring friends / Family pay for them By purchasing day passes, if there´s capacity for them.

We should run this idea towards RCI.

Kinda like Extra Magical Hours that a certain vacation destination charges for and people pay.

But for them you have to be booked in a select resort, but now they have a new expensive gimmick running.

Never a dull moment.

By the way..................great post.

Thanks..

We were on Oasis last year for Spring Break. My brother and I had suites and the other ten children did not.

We developed a pretty good rapport with the concierge a few minutes after boarding and hanging out in the SL during embarkation. It might have helped when we booked the entire Chef's Table.

The next couple of hours the kids came up to SL a few at a time and met him also.

We never made it a habit, but we never had an issue taking a few of the kids into the SL at different times.

They only issue was going to the SL bar and showing a non-gold card. The bartender told our niece "this is for suite guests only." We solved that problem pretty quick. Another time one of the kids presented his blue card but with a drink package sticker and was served a drink with no issue.

I think this is root of a lot of the misunderstandings in the Great Suite versus Diamond+ debate.

These are completely incomparable concepts.

One is loyalty/rewards scheme which has grown to a stage where it has taken on a life of its own. Where cruisers brag about spending Zero on their onboard account whilst squirrelled away in a inside cabin. Looking down their noses at others whilst simultaneously denying those who have paid for it access to their facilities (I know the vast majority are probably not like this but there's too much written here for it to be a figment of the imagination).

The others is an elevated service level which guest pay for contemporaneously, rather than some notional idea of accumulated loyalty equating to a stake in the company.

Mind you, it doesn't sound fair to let folk into to lounge if it deprives those who've paid for it access. Nothing to do with any perceived slight on the expectations of those in a loyalty program.

You have mentioned several times that you are paying $1000s of dollars for your suite. Don't forget that in order to achieve their status many diamonds, and especially diamond plus guests, have spent far more over long periods of time. Also many do also travel in suites.

On the Oasis class the whole suite lounge concept with special dining is unique. On the other classes of ships the concierge lounge and diamond lounge are usually very full. Currently D plus guests can use either lounge on most ships. This is changing and on some ships the CL is available for full suite guests only. I think this will expand to all ships very soon.

If you were a suite-paying guest on one of the smaller ships where the CL is now called the suite lounge and found it full of friends and family each evening or other times of day, you would be very upset. The lounges are just not that big! The computer terminal, as an example, is more often than not in use.

It's unfortunate that guests try to put the concierge on spot and ask to bring in those who have not paid for the privilege.

If there was an issue the concierge would say no, not allowed. If no issue then the concierge will say yes, even though it might be restricted to a one off.

Respectfully disagree. The salary of the concierge is largely based on tips. Will they do something that is motivated solely on the ability to receive a larger tip? Of course they will. It's human nature. This will even trump the fact that their decision may create overcrowding and diminish the experience of others.

You have mentioned several times that you are paying $1000s of dollars for your suite. Don't forget that in order to achieve their status many diamonds, and especially diamond plus guests, have spent far more over long periods of time. Also many do also travel in suites.

On the Oasis class the whole suite lounge concept with special dining is unique. On the other classes of ships the concierge lounge and diamond lounge are usually very full. Currently D plus guests can use either lounge on most ships. This is changing and on some ships the CL is available for full suite guests only. I think this will expand to all ships very soon.

If you were a suite-paying guest on one of the smaller ships where the CL is now called the suite lounge and found it full of friends and family each evening or other times of day, you would be very upset. The lounges are just not that big! The computer terminal, as an example, is more often than not in use.

It's unfortunate that guests try to put the concierge on spot and ask to bring in those who have not paid for the privilege.

We were on the the Jewel in the Royal Suite, could never get a seat in the CL as it was full all the time.

Did I complain, Nope:)

Should I have at least been able to get a seat in there after paying 5 figures for the RS, hell yeah!

Being D+ I should of been able to also get a seat, could I, NO

So did I luck out being a Suite Guest YES

Did I luck out staying in the RS and still not able to get a seat, YES.

Did I luck out being D+ YES.

I paid for the privilege, and was not able to utilize it as like some others who had not paid for it got to use the benefit.

I also had it as a perk for being D+

But guess what, did I whine about it, NO!

We went in, got our drinks and sat outside in the little area with seating for about 20.

Even Joseph the server would come out and check on us if we needed topping up

And the drink flowed nicely.

Most nights we would be given a couple of bottles of wine to take back and enjoy on our wonderful balcony:)

Did I get any nibbles NO! I could eat elsewhere and not get stuffed before dinner.

At the end of the Day the SL/CL should be for Suite Guests only, I also like the idea of being able to bring in friends and family as well, in moderation and at times when it is not over crowded or at cocktail time.

If you ask the concierge beforehand and don't abuse it, that really is not putting them on the spot, again it is at the discretion of the staff and will vary from ship to ship and sailing to sailing.

The only time this is raised as a MAJOR issue on cc, is when the ratio of D+ outweighs the number of Suite Guests.. Then all hell breaks loose on cc.

Over the years before I even knew about the CC police, all of this about, he can, she can, he can't she can't, who can who can't.

I never even cared who was in any of the lounges, my philosophy was, if they are in there they are allowed to be in there, babies, kids, the walking dead, D, D+ pineapples and those staying in suites.

If your card allows you access, I say fair game.

Just remember this as an example

On Allure 6000 pax

96 cc members onboard

That's 1.6% of which maybe 0.02% actually complained about it:eek:

Edited by PompeySailor

Respectfully disagree. The salary of the concierge is largely based on tips. Will they do something that is motivated solely on the ability to receive a larger tip? Of course they will. It's human nature. This will even trump the fact that their decision may create overcrowding and diminish the experience of others.

I totally disagree, the concierges salary is not heavily based on tips.

Let's not turn this into another bloody tipping thread PLEASE!!!:rolleyes:

Which was exactly my point. The concierge will say yes if the lounge is not busy and is likely to receive extra tips for the accommodation. However they will likely say no if the lounge is reaching capacity and would not want to risk losing tips from the guests that would be inconvenienced by them making acomodations for friends/relatives.

Hence why I said they may say yes but there may be times that they say no or have restrictions on the accomodations.

That being said they were more worried about tips for their servers than tips for themselves and we have been asked to give any extra tips to the servers as opposed to being accepted by the concierges on several occasions.

Edited by Spurschick

I totally disagree, the concierges salary is not heavily based on tips.

Do you have any evidence to support this claim? My understanding is that in recent years, their base salaries were cut and they were expected to garner most of their income for tips. Do you have any information that contradicts this?

Do you have any evidence to support this claim? My understanding is that in recent years, their base salaries were cut and they were expected to garner most of their income for tips. Do you have any information that contradicts this?

Do you have a copy of any concierges contract? Do you have written proof of your claim

On a few recent cruises, our concierges have asked us to distribute the tips to the servers in the CL

Which we gladly did, we also tipped the concierges, but hey this is not about tipping.

And like I said this is not a tipping thread.

Edited by PompeySailor

Oasis of the seas in 14 days (yes we are excited to go). We have the cheapest interior cabin we could afford. My friends have a super suite. They said they have access to a lounge and other perks. Can we join them on any of that stuff?

We did Navigator in Feb, and this is our second RCCL (I've been on a bunch of others)... any other major tips for max enjoyment?

Thanks!

no gold colored sea pass NO ACCESS and NO SUITE PERKS. and you have no right to ask them to break the rules for you.

at best they MIGHT be allowed to invite you as a guest for dinner( * at a cost ) in the CK if it is not booked solid.

On our sailing there was a large family that had the gls booked. 2 in the GLS, all the children and grandchild in non suites. They were welcomed to every event including the complimentary suite exclusive tours. If the concierge says yes then all good. It is, at the end of the day, dependent on the staff.

HUGE difference between children/grandchildren and friends.

no gold colored sea pass NO ACCESS and NO SUITE PERKS. and you have no right to ask them to break the rules for you.

at best they MIGHT be allowed to invite you as a guest for dinner( * at a cost ) in the CK if it is not booked solid.

Did you even bother to read any of the other posts with people's actual experiences...no of course you didn't...you never do.:rolleyes:

HUGE difference between children/grandchildren and friends.

Are you contradicting yourself?

20 older children in 20 chairs takes up the same amount of space as 20 friends in 20 chairs.:D

So family is OK and Friends are not OK in your rule book

Just want to clarify so I totally understand where you are coming from.:)

I am sick and tired of being told that just b/c I sail in full suites only that I am not entitled to voice my opinion of suite lounge access by those who have not earned the privilege or paid for it.

I am not even diamond yet but by choosing to spend extra money every cruise on a suite I expect to get what I pay for.. and that means not having to scramble for a chair or worry about whether or not the ones already sitting are actually entitled to be there and were not snuck in, bribed in or otherwise felt the rules didn't apply to them.

It's bad enough my expectation when I booked my first cruise was shattered because the Company changed the rules on allowing kids in the lounge during cocktail hour. ( and we have had several instances where kids did ruin the ambience) I have sucked it up and accepted that policy changed, although I still voice my dislike of the change every time.

I am sick and tired of being told that just b/c I sail in full suites only that I am not entitled to voice my opinion of suite lounge access by those who have not earned the privilege or paid for it.

I am not even diamond yet but by choosing to spend extra money every cruise on a suite I expect to get what I pay for.. and that means not having to scramble for a chair or worry about whether or not the ones already sitting are actually entitled to be there and were not snuck in, bribed in or otherwise felt the rules didn't apply to them.

It's bad enough my expectation when I booked my first cruise was shattered because the Company changed the rules on allowing kids in the lounge during cocktail hour. ( and we have had several instances where kids did ruin the ambience) I have sucked it up and accepted that policy changed, although I still voice my dislike of the change every time.

Never said you cannot voice your opinion.

Look at my signature;)

Did I say I did not agree with you, did I say I do agree with you

Read the complete thread and you will see some healthy debate from all levels of experience.

We all know SL/CL will be for suites & pinnacles only very soon

DL or D Club will be for D+

And Diamonds will get and keep the 3 drink vouchers

Don't sweat the small stuff:)

Once that is all in place fleetwide, there will be room for everybody ;)

Happy Days!

And I have experienced the child scenario as well, and for the record I am also D+ and have always sailed in SUITES:D

There is a big difference between stating your opinion and posting something as fact.

Opinions are welcomed but posting something as fact when it actually isn't does not help anyone.

I have to agree. I like the ability to invite non-suite guests for dinner, but I think it should stop at that.
:)

From an RC perspective,

Suite guests bring in non suite guests, in turn those who have now seen the SL/CL really like what they see, then go and book a Full Suite in the future to experience the Full Suite life.

It really is a great marketing tool that costs RC nothing.

I like bringing in friends and family, and as long as I have cleared it with the concierge and they say it is ok, then so be it.

If the concierge says no, am I going to throw a hissy fit:rolleyes:

I'm not going to bribe or beg or throw them $100, will just ask nicely, the old saying "don't ask don't get"

There are times in the day, when the SL/CL are EMPTY, who does it actually hurt if you bring in other family or non suite guests then.

Now when it is cocktail hour, I get it, that is a different ballgame:p

Happy Days!

:)

From an RC perspective,

Suite guests bring in non suite guests, in turn those who have now seen the SL/CL really like what they see, then go and book a Full Suite in the future to experience the Full Suite life.

It really is a great marketing tool that costs RC nothing.

I like bringing in friends and family, and as long as I have cleared it with the concierge and they say it is ok, then so be it.

If the concierge says no, am I going to throw a hissy fit:rolleyes:

I'm not going to bribe or beg or throw them $100, will just ask nicely, the old saying "don't ask don't get"

There are times in the day, when the SL/CL are EMPTY, who does it actually hurt if you bring in other family or non suite guests then.

Now when it is cocktail hour, I get it, that is a different ballgame:p

Happy Days!

When we were on Oasis in November The Next Cruise Sales Team was offering small group tours of the SL/CK. I thought it was a great way to market CK and the SL as a Gold Card benefit.

I can see bringing friends/family in during non-peak times to see the SL on Oasis class ships but don't think they should be able to partake in the complimentary drinks available to those with a Gold Card while they're visiting. This is unique to Oasis class ships as, for now, they're they only ones who offer complimentary beer, wine and soft drinks from 11am - 11:30 pm.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

When we were on Oasis in November the Next Cruise people were offering a small group tour of the SL/CK. Good way to market the lounge.

I can see bringing friends/family in during non-peak times to visit the SL on Oasis class ships but don't think they should be able to partake in the complimentary drinks available to those with a Gold Card while they're visiting.

That's a good idea

Anytime outside free cocktail time would work fine. As we all know the lounges tend to be near to empty then.

There is then the option for the non suite guests to purchase drinks if they so wish to.

It doesn't have to be an every day or every night occurrence, but it is nice to enjoy with good friends and family.