Royal/Regal balcony questions

cwtravel

Hello-

Since I have not yet sailed on the Regal/Royal, I am looking to make a booking for the winter season. I have been on the Grand Class ships many times and usually book a Caribe Deck balcony or, if available a Emerald Deck covered mini. The wife and I like a larger, covered balcony and we spend a fair amount of time on the balcony.

So, for the Royal/Regal balconies:

- Do the deluxe balcony cabins have anything extra (foot stools, better bedding, etc) or just a slightly larger room with a small couch?

- Are the regular balcony cabins similar in size to the regular balcony cabins on the Grand Class ships?

- Are the mini's about the same size/layout as the Grand Class mini's?

- For the obstructed view regular and deluxe balconies, which look like they have a larger

balcony, is the obstruction just the open deck below?

Thanks so much for your help. Final question, given the sea walk/bar any recommendations for deck is much appreciated.

Chris

Hello-

Since I have not yet sailed on the Regal/Royal, I am looking to make a booking for the winter season. I have been on the Grand Class ships many times and usually book a Caribe Deck balcony or, if available a Emerald Deck covered mini. The wife and I like a larger, covered balcony and we spend a fair amount of time on the balcony.

- Do the deluxe balcony cabins have anything extra (foot stools, better bedding, etc) or just a slightly larger room with a small couch? Just the slightly larger room.

- Are the regular balcony cabins similar in size to the regular balcony cabins on the Grand Class ships? The room itself, yes. The balcony No, they are noticeably smaller. About the same size side to side (between partitions) but door to glass panel is barely big enough to put the chair facing outward.

- Are the mini's about the same size/layout as the Grand Class mini's?Yes on the room, no on the balcony.

- For the obstructed view regular and deluxe balconies, which look like they have a larger

balcony, is the obstruction just the open deck below?Depends on the location; most are lifeboats that come up to the balcony railing. Forward obstructed tend to be white metal partitions instead of blue glass. To be safest, be specific about which cabins you are looking at.

Thanks so much for your help. Final question, given the sea walk/bar any recommendations for deck is much appreciated.

Chris

See boldedanswers above. As for Seaview/walk, some hate the possibility of someone looking down on them, others not so much. I equate it to the Grand Class Dolphin deck....and venture to guess you would not like being under those despite the larger balcony space.

The largest fully covered balcony spaces on these two ships is the bump out area on the sides-but those are not private. The largest balconies, forward and aft, are not fully covered. There really is no replacement for the Grand Class Caribe deck rooms on these two ships.

Edited by cherylandtk

Take a look at the balconies at the bump out "points". We were just on the Royal in D424 and found it to be a really nice sized balcony, maybe not quite as large as a Grand Class Caribe, but still much larger than the standard balconies on the vast majority of the balcony cabins on the Royal and Regal.

- Do the deluxe balcony cabins have anything extra (foot stools, better bedding, etc) or just a slightly larger room with a small couch?

Our deluxe balcony cabin mid aft had no foot stools on the balcony.

Take a look at the balconies at the bump out "points". We were just on the Royal in D424 and found it to be a really nice sized balcony, maybe not quite as large as a Grand Class Caribe, but still much larger than the standard balconies on the vast majority of the balcony cabins on the Royal and Regal.

My friend was in D424 on the Royal and he loved it.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

We had deluxe balcony stateroom 614 and 616 and the balconies are only 4 ft. deep. Really small. The chairs are deliberately positioned to face each other because if they are turned toward the railing you can't sit in them without your knees pressing up against the glass. The deluxe cabins are "deluxe" because they have a sofa instead of a chair (are 10 ft. square ft. larger inside)

M110ObstructedViewBalcony_zps7f9a950e.jpg.adae6687a6dc2916925b384e338185c7.jpg

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

• 3 weeks later...

Because they are so narrow, it doesn't look like you can open the door between two rooms. We always like sharing the balcony with our friends in the adjoining room. Do you have to go out in the hallway to get to their room?

Because they are so narrow, it doesn't look like you can open the door between two rooms. We always like sharing the balcony with our friends in the adjoining room. Do you have to go out in the hallway to get to their room?

No ....the balcony doors open to connect balconies.

Your post implies that you are really concerned with balcony size yet you ask many questions about the cabin interiors.

In my opinion if balcony size is a priority NEVER consider the Royal class.

Dennis

The doors in the dividers are much larger. Check out the photo in post #9. You can see the door in the photo. It is probably 3' wide and full height so the feeling is much different than on other

Princess ships.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Your post implies that you are really concerned with balcony size yet you ask many questions about the cabin interiors.

Dennis

What class would you recommend? This is disappointing. Do you know the reason behind making them so small?

We were looking to make the Regal our next cruise, but now I'm wondering...

Dennis

I disagree. We have been in cabins with bigger balconies on both the Royal and Regal, midship with no obstructions. If size matters, just check the deck plans for a larger balcony.

If size matters, book the Grand Class ships :). One big disappointment we had with the Regal were the balcony sizes where I cannot even stretch my legs out if I am facing the sea. But one can certainly sit at an angle! On the other hand, we can go back to the Caribe balcony cabins on the Grand Class where one could have a dozen folks over for a balcony party! I guess there are some at Princess that would explain to us why smaller balconies are an improvement...but we would not be convinced.

Hank

Hello-

- Are the regular balcony cabins similar in size to the regular balcony cabins on the Grand Class ships?

- Are the mini's about the same size/layout as the Grand Class mini's?

balcony, is the obstruction just the open deck below?

Chris

Small balconies on the Regal.

I guess there are some at Princess that would explain to us why smaller balconies are an improvement...but we would not be convinced.

Hank

Simply, large balconies create a favorable place to hang out and relax. But that does not generate revenue. They would rather that you be out and about spending money.

I disagree. We have been in cabins with bigger balconies on both the Royal and Regal, midship with no obstructions. If size matters, just check the deck plans for a larger balcony.

True. But to be fair, the extended balcony cabins comprise about 2% of outside cabins. And they come at an increased cost. It's not simply a matter of studying the deck plan and willing your way into an extended balcony cabin. You have to be one of the 2%.

If privacy is an issue then don't book the mini suites on the hump. People on the skywalk are looking down at you on your balcony.

The Royal & Regal are great ships EXCEPT for their small balconies. We always get the ones on the back of the ship....a little bigger plus we love the aft cabins and sitting and just staring at the wake with a glass of wine or whatever :)

We were on the Royal for the transatlantic last month. Because I knew from a past cruise that the regular balconies are really small we took a chance on booking in the bulkhead (that's way up front) on Emerald Deck. We were in cabin E110 and the balcony is huge. It is sold as a partially obstructed view deluxe balcony cabin so was one of the least expensive balcony cabins. The obstruction is that the balcony rail is not glass so you can't see through it. Fantastic view when you stand at the balcony rail. It is partially covered so you can sit out there in less than perfect weather. E111 on the starboard side is the same size and there are 4 cabins forward of those with slightly smaller balconies. I was concerned about the motion being so far up front, but even though we did hit some rough water the ship is so stable that we hardly felt it. Just a choice you might look at.

We were on the Royal for the transatlantic last month. Because I knew from a past cruise that the regular balconies are really small we took a chance on booking in the bulkhead (that's way up front) on Emerald Deck. We were in cabin E110 and the balcony is huge. It is sold as a partially obstructed view deluxe balcony cabin so was one of the least expensive balcony cabins. The obstruction is that the balcony rail is not glass so you can't see through it. Fantastic view when you stand at the balcony rail. It is partially covered so you can sit out there in less than perfect weather. E111 on the starboard side is the same size and there are 4 cabins forward of those with slightly smaller balconies. I was concerned about the motion being so far up front, but even though we did hit some rough water the ship is so stable that we hardly felt it. Just a choice you might look at.
Just a slight correction, the cabin on the other side is E109, not E111. Those two cabins have huge balconies, about 11' deep by 9' wide with the first 4' covered.

We have been in forward deluxe obstructed balconies on both the Royal and Regal and absolutely love them. They are big enough to dance on but there are only a few. Emerald deck all the way forward cabins 107, 108, 109 and 110. There is no glass just steel but there is tons of room both covered and uncovered. We did a cabin crawl on one cruise and our room was the hit of the whole tour! The Royal and Regal are stunning ships with venues that the others do not have. Many loyal Princess customers don't like them because they are missing a few "amenities" that the other grand class ships have like wrap around Promenade decks, but I'll take what they have over what they have not and stick with them whenever I can! Go for it and form your own opinions!

I had read all the stories about the small balconies before the Regal cruise I took last year. To be honest, this ship's public areas are the primary focus of this ship. There is an abundance of both open and covered quiet areas on this ship. We really didn't use the balcony at all. The ship is absolutely beautiful. Loved it so much I booked another cruise on the Regal.

We have been in forward deluxe obstructed balconies on both the Royal and Regal and absolutely love them. They are big enough to dance on but there are only a few. Emerald deck all the way forward cabins 107, 108, 109 and 110. There is no glass just steel but there is tons of room both covered and uncovered. We did a cabin crawl on one cruise and our room was the hit of the whole tour! The Royal and Regal are stunning ships with venues that the others do not have. Many loyal Princess customers don't like them because they are missing a few "amenities" that the other grand class ships have like wrap around Promenade decks, but I'll take what they have over what they have not and stick with them whenever I can! Go for it and form your own opinions!

We have E108 booked for a 20 night sailing and are really looking forward to the larger balcony and sofa in the cabin. Only slightly, slightly concerned it may get noise from the theater - but the trade off would be worth it to us. And yes, much less expensive than even the orher obstructed view balconies, let alone standard ones.. Hoping it's as great as it looks in the pictures we've seen! Looks like plenty of space for an Ultimate Balcony Dinner at least once!!

We have E108 booked for a 20 night sailing and are really looking forward to the larger balcony and sofa in the cabin. Only slightly, slightly concerned it may get noise from the theater - but the trade off would be worth it to us. And yes, much less expensive than even the orher obstructed view balconies, let alone standard ones.. Hoping it's as great as it looks in the pictures we've seen! Looks like plenty of space for an Ultimate Balcony Dinner at least once!!

We were in E110 on the Royal in January, and we heard absolutely nothing from the theater.