a new suite "perk" - no more mailed luggage tags

My experience with the tag holders that have a plastic loop--not worth the money. Used them once and they immediately went missing upon handing over the suitcases to the luggage handlers.

I purchased the CC luggage tag holders (with the plastic loop) when they were first introduced and have yet to lose one. I use them for both embarkation and debarkation tags.

I agree not a huge thing but I like getting them in mail, but its also about time I try another line, its rare for us to do 1 line 4 times in a row and we have cruised RCCL last 3 times and have 3 more booked.

I am sick of the cutbacks.

Not trying to be argumentative but are you equally sick of the extras suites now get (at least on Oasis/Quantum class)? Free Voom, Coastal Kitchen, Suite lounge with extended complementary drink availability, Genie (for top levels).

Accepting these aren't on all ships and who knows if/when these will extend to other ship classes, but overall I think the suite experience is really improving on RCI and these new benefits really outweigh the very few suite benefits that have been removed which, in my opinion only, are relatively trivial.

You can actually buy the tags. You have to pay $35 for the paper documents which will include the luggage tags.

...and I have done that. I haven't had to do it since I've been cruising mostly in suites the past few years but will have to see if it's worth it to me to continue to do that. Probably not. I think if they actually made it a reasonable price ($15 ? ...with no docs. Who needs those ?) they would actually sell quite a few. I would certainly pay $15.

I'm sorry but what am I missing? Print your tags out and put them onto your luggage. Am I mistaken? Do we really need "special tags" and "special holders" for them? Believe me, I am a spoiled man but j :confused::confused:ezzzzzzzzz.

Nah, no need for them. Some people just like them. I've actually booked a suite three different time. The first time, I didn't even realize that ordering luggage tags was a perk for suite guests. The second time, I knew, but didn't bother. The third time, I ordered, just to see what all the fuss was about.

If I consider sailing in a suite again, this will not really be a factor in the decision. :D

I've got to say I've never had a problem with the paper printed luggage tags. Fold over a couple of times and four or five staples and they just stay on the bag. I normally put a couple on each bag but that's probably not necessary - I've never lost one yet.

I'm with you on this. I have a mini-stapler (the stapler is mini, the staples are full-size) that I take with me to attach the tags. 5 layers of 20 lb paper (standard copy paper) held together with 4 or 5 staples is pretty tough. Certainly tougher than an airline baggage tag or a plastic loop. And it only has to stay on from the pier up to your cabin. It's not like the tags have to take the kind of abuse that the airline baggage gorillas dish out.

To add to the angst, later this month you will no longer be able to pay $35 to have paper documents (instead of eDocs) mailed to your home, according to the C&A rep. I spoke to yesterday.

In and of itself, no big deal. As someone mentioned, "chip, chip, chip." Wait until they eliminate a favorite perk of yours. :eek:

Yep. As my mother used to say, it depend on whose ox is being gored. :rolleyes:

Agreed, though ours lasted about 3 cruises. We use the ones with the metal loops now.

I never used the fasteners that came with the tags on Amazon. I could tell they would come loose. I just used regular zip ties to attach to my bags.

Last couple of cruises have been in suites, so I've gotten the printed tags in the mail, and I really like those. They reminded me of the good ol days when we started cruising with RC. :rolleyes:

I never used the fasteners that came with the tags on Amazon. I could tell they would come loose. I just used regular zip ties to attach to my bags.

Last couple of cruises have been in suites, so I've gotten the printed tags in the mail, and I really like those. They reminded me of the good ol days when we started cruising with RC. :rolleyes:

Even when we get the printed tags mailed to us, we still use the downloaded tags and tag holders. Two tags per bag.

In and of itself, no big deal. As someone mentioned, "chip, chip, chip." Wait until they eliminate a favorite perk of yours. :eek:

There have been things changed or eliminated over the years that I used to like. There have also been things added over the years that I like now. In my opinion, it's only those who focus solely on the "losses" that feel that it's a constant chipping away. Either that, or they just don't like any of the changes or features that have been added (specialty restaurants, drink packages, carry-on wine allowance, Broadway style productions, Diamond drink vouchers, no more wearing your life jacket to muster, etc.).

Edited by Paul65

There have been things changed or eliminated over the years that I used to like. There have also been things added over the years that I like now. In my opinion, it's only those who focus solely on the "losses" that feel that it's a constant chipping away. Either that, or they just don't like any of the changes or features that have been added (specialty restaurants, drink packages, carry-on wine allowance, Broadway style productions, Diamond drink vouchers, no more wearing your life jacket to muster, etc.).

Of all the people to question, travelgoddess isn't a good target.

She is one of the most easy going, and best traveled people, on these boards!

Edited by Merion_Mom

Of all the people to question, travelgoddess isn't a good target.

She is one of the most easy going, and best traveled people, on these boards!

Wasn't questioning the person's character or making anyone a "target." I was simply responding to the "Wait until they eliminate a favorite perk of yours" comment.

(And, if she is really that easy going, I'm sure she won't be bothered by someone having a different opinion. Might even be a little uncomfortable with someone else suggesting she should not be questioned.)

Edited by Paul65

As we all know there will always be those that 'focus solely on the losses' but fortunately they are far and few between here on Cruise Critic. Just because someone points out a 'chipping away' doesn't mean they're solely focused on the losses. I see the chipping away yet I always enjoy my cruises and certainly don't focus on it. It is what it is.

As we all know there will always be those that 'focus solely on the losses' but fortunately they are far and few between here on Cruise Critic. Just because someone points out a 'chipping away' doesn't mean they're solely focused on the losses. I see the chipping away yet I always enjoy my cruises and certainly don't focus on it. It is what it is.

I guess my point was that, if you see it as a constant chipping away, then either you only focus on that, or you don't like any of the things that have been added. If you look at the big picture, it's hard for me to see it as chipping away, when there are so many new things that I enjoy, as well as old things I used to enjoy that have gone away. It's more of a give and take, in my mind, than a chip, chip, chip...

I'm starting to think I'm in the minority. I cruise because I enjoy it. And I come here to share thoughts and experiences about cruising. What I now realize however, is that most people evidently cruise to find problems, and come here simply to complain.

I don't think that's fair. Some people do use it as a place to vent about their complaints or issues, but that doesn't mean that they "cruise to find problems."

I don't think that's fair. Some people do use it as a place to vent about their complaints or issues, but that doesn't mean that they "cruise to find problems."

It wasn't meant to be "fair" as much as a commentary. I belong to a number of travel related message boards. The near constant stream of complaints here is pretty overwhelming. It's hard to go more than three threads in a row where the overall them of the OP or those replying isn't negative.

My experience with the tag holders that have a plastic loop--not worth the money. Used them once and they immediately went missing upon handing over the suitcases to the luggage handlers.

I go to Kinko's and laminate mine. It cost $3 for 4 and I throw them away once on board. I miss getting the docs in the mail, but my little Kinko's ritual isn't a bad substitute - when I do that, I know my cruise is very close.

Short version: the title says it all.

Long version: I checked in today for an upcoming cruise in a GS and was only given the option to print luggage tags, not order them as you can typically do for suites. So I called C&A, thinking maybe I was too close to the cruise but maybe they could get me some tags (I usually do online check-in way in advance, but this time I'm only 12 days out).

The C&A rep read to me from a notice that they received today saying that as of April 29, they would no longer be sending tags for suites, and we would have to print them out. We had a good laugh about how the policy started 5 days ago but C&A was just informed today, but it seems like that's that.

For anyone who's pinnacle, she also said no tags for pinnacles anymore; I just turned diamond so didn't even know that was a perk.

I know it's just a small thing, but I am not crafty and I absolutely hate putting the tags together - I try to laminate them with packing tape and it never goes well. :p DH jokes I want to upgrade to suites just to get out of assembling the darn tags. We ordered tag holders for when we cruise in non-suite rooms, so I guess I will try those. Still, I am kind of annoyed.

Anyway, a heads up so you don't spend 20 minutes like me, searching all over my online cruise documents for the "order luggage tags" button.

If it has changed, then they haven't updated their website, as it still says that they are available for Pinnacle members and suite guests. (But, of course, it's possible that they just haven't updated.) It does say, though, that:

"Requests for Royal Caribbean's Luggage Tag Mailer must be made no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date."

So, you would not have been in that window at 12 days prior to sailing.