All Things Avalon

FuelScience

6 hours ago, sanger727 said:

We are leaving on Friday for our first Avalon cruise! We are on Avalon Saigon. I have a handful of questions that I can't found anything on Avalon's site to answer:

1. There's an exercise room. What should I expect with that? A room with some space and freeweights or actual equipment?

2. How is the wifi on board? Trying to determine if we are better off using our cell phone coverage.

3. What time to excursions and tours typically start? 

Thank you!

I haven’t been on the Saigon but THIS THREAD will give you a bit of insight (with pictures) on what to expect from Avalon.  Our exercise room had equipment and weights.  (Pic in thread.)

The WiFi was great but that was on the Rhine.  You don’t mention what your itinerary is so it may be different for that location.

Excursions typically started at 8:30 and 8:45am.

Here is a link where you can do a virtual tour of the ship, showing the exercise room. 

https://www.avalonwaterways.ca/river-cruise-ships/avalon-saigon/

Unfortunately, the Mekong cruises aren't as common as the European ones, so I'm not sure if you will get answers here. Perhaps open a new topic titles "Avalon Mekong", you may find someone who can help with the Wifi and excursions.  You can do a search in this forum for "Mekong", but it will show all lines.

Good luck, and if you go, please come back and do a review, as I'm sure others are looking for answers as well.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. So I said that I would check in after my cruise. And while it’s not quite over yet, it’s basically over. So, as far as my original questions. Daily excursions started between 8-9, work out room is small and basic, biggest issue is that it’s closed until 7 which is breakfast time so I never used it. And the wifi is only in the lounge and sundeck and is terrible.

so, to our story. We are on Avalon Saigon with the siem reap and Hanoi extensions that started on 11/28.

Our trip started in siem reap where there were 18 people visiting Angkor wat. After 2 days we joined the boat with 11 more people. On the first night of the cruise, a single passenger sat with us. She said she was losing her voice but had taken a covid test and wasn’t sick. The next day on the shore excursion she coughed uncontrollably on the bus ride. Starting from there a cough and misc cold symptoms clearly spread through the cruise, including to me. On the 5th day of the cruise we were all requested to take covid tests. I was positive along with 3 other passengers. My roommate was negative and was moved to a different room. The negative people have never re-tested. The positive people have been tested twice a day with antigen tests. Tonight we arrive in Ho chi minh where medical professionals will test all of the positive people with PCR. It sounds as though that is the determining factor on whether we continue with our post cruise tour. This is really frustrating considering 1. Everyone was together for the first several days of trip and therefore exposed 2. I’ve been sick for 5 days and am now better, by US standards I should be released from quarantine without additional testing. 

so at this point it is all wait and see. It’s disappointing that Avalon clearly didn’t have a plan for this. All along the way the response from the cruise director has been to take each test and then he would call the head office and find out what to do.

Edited by sanger727

13 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Ok. So I said that I would check in after my cruise. And while it’s not quite over yet, it’s basically over. So, as far as my original questions. Daily excursions started between 8-9, work out room is small and basic, biggest issue is that it’s closed until 7 which is breakfast time so I never used it. And the wifi is only in the lounge and sundeck and is terrible.

so, to our story. We are on Avalon Saigon with the siem reap and Hanoi extensions that started on 11/28.

Our trip started in siem reap where there were 18 people visiting Angkor wat. After 2 days we joined the boat with 11 more people. On the first night of the cruise, a single passenger sat with us. She said she was losing her voice but had taken a covid test and wasn’t sick. The next day on the shore excursion she coughed uncontrollably on the bus ride. Starting from there a cough and misc cold symptoms clearly spread through the cruise, including to me. On the 5th day of the cruise we were all requested to take covid tests. I was positive along with 3 other passengers. My roommate was negative and was moved to a different room. The negative people have never re-tested. The positive people have been tested twice a day with antigen tests. Tonight we arrive in Ho chi minh where medical professionals will test all of the positive people with PCR. It sounds as though that is the determining factor on whether we continue with our post cruise tour. This is really frustrating considering 1. Everyone was together for the first several days of trip and therefore exposed 2. I’ve been sick for 5 days and am now better, by US standards I should be released from quarantine without additional testing. 

so at this point it is all wait and see. It’s disappointing that Avalon clearly didn’t have a plan for this. All along the way the response from the cruise director has been to take each test and then he would call the head office and find out what to do.

What a shame, something we all dread when we are travelling.  You have my unending sympathy for what you're going through.  It's my belief that the people who run things are primarily concerned about liability, so they'll not be pro-active, but just boot the problem up the chain of command.  That will usually result in the most strict measures being enforced.  Can't say that I blame them.  I think for the next couple of years when I encounter anyone who seems like they have a 'cold', I will politely excuse myself and disappear to disinfect my entire body.  Missing a shore ex or dinner is a small price to pay for avoiding the horrendous fallout from a sick person infecting everyone else, no matter what their sickness is.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jsn55 said:

What a shame, something we all dread when we are travelling.  You have my unending sympathy for what you're going through.  It's my belief that the people who run things are primarily concerned about liability, so they'll not be pro-active, but just boot the problem up the chain of command.  That will usually result in the most strict measures being enforced.  Can't say that I blame them.  I think for the next couple of years when I encounter anyone who seems like they have a 'cold', I will politely excuse myself and disappear to disinfect my entire body.  Missing a shore ex or dinner is a small price to pay for avoiding the horrendous fallout from a sick person infecting everyone else, no matter what their sickness is.

well, like most things in life, it’s never that simple. When you are in a rural village an hour from the ship and someone starts coughing; there is no option to get off. 

the pandemic is nearly 3 years old so not having any plan is inexcusable. The rules that have been enforced are completely arbitrary. So, for example, a negative husband chose to stay in his room with his positive wife. He was advised that while he was staying in her room he couldn’t join group activities; but if he ever changed his mind and went to a different room; he could join the group activities. Which flies in the face of everything we know about incubation periods and contact tracing. 

our cruise director has not communicated anything and every few hours has new and contradictory information. For example, we asked what Vietnam’s policy was on quarantining. First he said it wasn’t required. Then he said we would be required to quarantine for 7 days following a positive test. Then he said we would be required to quarantine until we tested negative. This one was especially problematic since two of the positives had already tested negative but we’re still required to stay in their rooms. We finally called the US embassy to get an answer - which was that Vietnam doesn’t require quarantining. 

right this minute we are disembarking the ship. We were given pcr tests last night but don’t have the results yet. We are being taken to central Saigon to walk around until the results are back because the hotel won’t take us before then. Still have not been given any indication on what might happen if they are positive except that the hotel may refuse to let us stay. This is a scary and precarious situation and there’s a whole lot Avalon could be doing differently behind the scenes. 

there has not been one point of this where we asked ‘what happens if the test is positive’ or ‘what happens if the test is negative’ where we received an answer. It has been, take the test and then we will see. 

Edited by sanger727

Everyone from the top of the US on down has decided that Covid is over, so don't expect cruise companies or tour providers to have any plans.  That may be stupid, but that's how it is.  If you can't live with that, you may never be able to travel again because I don't see it changing.

Ok. So long story short. We finally got a pcr test from a nurse in Saigon. No one had covid. No one has covid. The ship’s crew administered rapid tests were wrong. We have rejoined the tour but lost 3 days of our vacation and endured a lot of stress for no reason.

• 4 weeks later...

Good Morning,

My wife and I are planning our first river cruise.  We're looking at Avalon Waterways and are considering the 8-day Budapest-Deggendorf or Deggendorf-Budapest "Danube Dreams" cruise aboard the Avalon Envision with a Panorama Suite.  We're in the initial stages of planning and looking at May 2023 for our trip.

We're wondering how one best travels TO/FROM Deggendorf if we're flying FROM/TO the USA?  Is Prague the best location to fly in to?  If so, how do we get TO/FROM Prague FROM/TO Deggendorf.  Bus? Train?  We're all ears on any recommendations or web sites that might offer this information.  And please feel free to offer ANY recommendations whatsoever regarding this cruise and/or Avalon Waterways since we're so new at this.

Avalon Waterways has a 2-day Prague add-on which they offer when traveling either direction, either at the beginning or end of the river cruise portion.  We're also considering this.  If anybody has thoughts on the Prague add-on we'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Finally...should we have Avalon Waterways plan our air travel between the USA and Europe?

Thank you and Happy New Year!!

Jim

Edited by moonriver54

53 minutes ago, moonriver54 said:

Good Morning,

My wife and I are planning our first river cruise.  We're looking at Avalon Waterways and are considering the 8-day Budapest-Deggendorf or Deggendorf-Budapest "Danube Dreams" cruise aboard the Avalon Envision with a Panorama Suite.  We're in the initial stages of planning and looking at May 2023 for our trip.

We're wondering how one best travels TO/FROM Deggendorf if we're flying FROM/TO the USA?  Is Prague the best location to fly in to?  If so, how do we get TO/FROM Prague FROM/TO Deggendorf.  Bus? Train?  We're all ears on any recommendations or web sites that might offer this information.  And please feel free to offer ANY recommendations whatsoever regarding this cruise and/or Avalon Waterways since we're so new at this.

Avalon Waterways has a 2-day Prague add-on which they offer when traveling either direction, either at the beginning or end of the river cruise portion.  We're also considering this.  If anybody has thoughts on the Prague add-on we'd appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Finally...should we have Avalon Waterways plan our air travel between the USA and Europe?

Thank you and Happy New Year!!

Jim

We did this itinerary, but used spent a couple days in Munich pre-cruise.  We had planned on using the trains to get to Deggendorf from Munich, but the weekend train schedules are different (less frequent) than weekdays.  We ended up contacting the CD on the ship, and he was able to get us on one of the transfer buses from Munich airport.  That was much easier than transferring between buses and trains on the transit schedules.  Munich was amazing, we loved it.  People on the boat that were in Prague loved that as well.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

Welcome to River Cruising. As a new adventure, I would suggest reading the "stickies" pinned at the top of the first page, there is lots of information there for new cruisers, and the more you know, the better prepared you are. If you have ever done ocean cruises, river cruising is a lot different.

As for flights to/from Deggendorf, you may wish to look at Munich for your main airport. You will probably find better connections there. Prague has one if you are ending your cruise (or starting) there, and if you book air with Avalon, they will include the transfer to the airport. Trains are really easy to use and on time. 

As for booking air with Avalon, we have our TA mention our interest when booking, so they have it on file. When it comes time to book our air, our TA will compare rates and let me know the best ones...because Avalon is connected with Globus, they usually have really good prices (and the transfer, which can be nice after a long flight). We are fussy as to whom we fly with, and Avalon lets us choose our airline, route (which airports we do or do not want to transfer through) and flights at no extra charge. Once they are ticketed, I can go online to the airline's site and upgrade and book our seats myself.

We will be doing the Budapest to Prague in Sept, so unfortunately, I can't offer much about the river yet, but we did the Rhine a few years back and loved it so much, we were planning this one on the flight home. We have a couple more planned as well. Avalon is one of those lines that are comfortable - nice decor, not fussy, good food, wine & beer included with lunch & dinner, as well as free cocktail hour daily. They treat you special, but like family, and go above board to make sure you have the trip of a lifetime.

• Like 3

I agree with Daisi.  We LOVE Avalon.  They did a great job with our air for a cruise in France.  While this kind of trip is best planned with a good travel agent, you can set things up well with a lot of research.  CruiseCritic is a treasure-trove of good advice and ideas.  Have a look at a good map; Deggendorf is closest to Munich (for airport) I believe.  Your cruise is one of many that we've booked and had cancelled during the virus hysteria.  All those cities are magical, so you will be happy with visiting any of them pre/post cruise.  Contact Avalon's air desk to see what they have available.  Research fares and schedules so you know what's the best for you and can book with Avalon if they come close.  The transfers are very helpful and comforting to travellers inexperienced with an area or type of travel.  Same rationale for booking pre and post stays through  Avalon.  Pack light; river boats are built skinny, so cabins can be smaller than people anticipate.  I don't think you can go wrong with Avalon!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moonriver54 said:

We took our first river cruise on Avalon in October and absolutely loved it.  We didn’t do the air, because we had a varied itinerary, but we did do the transfer from the ship to the airport and highly recommend it.  One of the main reasons is the terrible time we had with our taxi finding the ship on embarkation day and someone else who had the same poor experience on disembarkation day.  We learned from that.  I posted a full review at this link if you’re interested.  Welcome to river cruising!  You have chosen an excellent cruiseline.

• Like 1

From Prague to Deggendorf it is a good deal further than from Munich to Deggendorf, in kilometres a fair bit, depending on whether you look at Munich airport or Munich itself, also as regards logistics. What makes the really big difference is that apparently the roads from Prague are slower. Getting the transfer from Avalon should eliminate all worries from either direction. A train connection from Munich to Deggendorf is relatively straightforward, not sure about Prague. Deggendorf has not been a port that we have talked a great deal about on CC (yet). Quite frankly, I would be spoilt for choice, both Munich and Prague are great cities to explore. Difference is language and culture. Would you prefer German/Bavarian or Czech?

I have been to Deggendorf, stayed a few hours and vaguely enjoyed myself, I got into a storm with downpour, so no really good memories. I did not even know that Deggendorf used its port for river cruise ships until about three years ago.

For planning, perhaps this info (although in German) is helpful for directions: https://deggendorf.travel/media/deggendorf-travel-schiffsanlegestelle.pdf

Deggendorf is in the stretch of Danube notorious for low water issues but is not as bad as Straubing or Regensburg embarkation. Vilshofen would be better but I am sure Avalon Waterways has got a plan for any issues that may arise with embarkation. Not a great worry but something to have in the back of your mind. May is not a typical month for low water but you never know these days.

Have fun planning I am sure you will have a great time with Avalon Waterways.

My tip: if you do not go for the Prague add-on, spend an extra day in Budapest if you feel comfortable with a bit of DIY. The city is fabulous.

notamermaid

• Like 2

Thank you VERY much to everybody above that responded today!  All very helpful information and greatly appreciated!  After your many comments we're thinking it might be best for a first time river cruise couple to fly in to Munich, spend a night or two there exploring the city, and take the train to Deggendorf to board our Avalon Waterways vessel.  And add on a few days at the end of our Danube cruise to explore Budapest before flying home. 

So...for train planning purposes...what's the earliest reasonable time we should expect to board Avalon Waterways at Deggendorf at the beginning of our trip?  Should we book First Class on the train from Munich to Deggendorf?  Again...we're all ears open to ALL suggestions. Thanks again!

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic - and to the world of river cruising.  But, as I have said to many in the past - be prepared... it is addictive (just completed #16 in October - off for #17 in February!!)

We have travelled with most of the lines, and we do like Avalon.   I think your plan to fly into Munich and spend a few days there before heading to Deggendorf sounds good.  As far as time to board --> if you arrive before your cabin is ready, you can usually hang out in the lounge when you arrive.  Or - touch base with Avalon to see about their transfer from Munich airport.  You might have to pay for it - but it might be worth it.

If you are able to take a few extra days, do spend some time in Budapest  It is so easy to do on your own.  We have been there 4 times (beginning or end of a river cruise) - and always extend.  Happy to offer hotel and dining suggestions!!

Or - what if you started in Budapest?? Go in a couple of days early - easy to find the boat on your own.  Then, when you end in Deggendorf, get a transfer to Munich and spend some time (a day or two?) before flying home.  Just a thought...

Enjoy your planning!!

Fran

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, franski said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic - and to the world of river cruising.  But, as I have said to many in the past - be prepared... it is addictive (just completed #16 in October - off for #17 in February!!)

We have travelled with most of the lines, and we do like Avalon.   I think your plan to fly into Munich and spend a few days there before heading to Deggendorf sounds good.  As far as time to board --> if you arrive before your cabin is ready, you can usually hang out in the lounge when you arrive.  Or - touch base with Avalon to see about their transfer from Munich airport.  You might have to pay for it - but it might be worth it.

If you are able to take a few extra days, do spend some time in Budapest  It is so easy to do on your own.  We have been there 4 times (beginning or end of a river cruise) - and always extend.  Happy to offer hotel and dining suggestions!!

Or - what if you started in Budapest?? Go in a couple of days early - easy to find the boat on your own.  Then, when you end in Deggendorf, get a transfer to Munich and spend some time (a day or two?) before flying home.  Just a thought...

Enjoy your planning!!

Fran

Fran...thank you and please DO offer hotel and dining suggestions for Budapest!  They'd be greatly appreciated!!

I will add my welcome to Cruise Critic.  

And offer a posting tip:  when you quote a previous post, the cursor will be in the white area below the quoted box.  Just start typing your reply there – rather than submitting the naked quote and then a second post with your reply.  

[Do not click inside the quote box, or you will appear to be putting your words in the original poster's mouth.  You didn't do this, but I have seen it so many times!]

• Like 1

4 hours ago, moonriver54 said:

Fran...thank you and please DO offer hotel and dining suggestions for Budapest!  They'd be greatly appreciated!!

For Budapest, I can highly recommend the Hilton up by Fisherman's Bastion on top of a hill.  Right on the hop/stop bus route and terrific service.  We spent a week there before a river cruise and it was magic, I'm trying to figure out how to get back to Budapest one of these days.  We rented a car for a few days and found a park on the outskirts of the city full of humongeous communist statues that had been torn down.  It was FASCINATING.  I believe they've changed the name to "Momento Park: where communist statues go to die".  Wherever you land in Europe, you might want to spend a night or two at a nice quiet hotel to recover from jet lag and hit the ground running.  This is just something I've learned over the years.  I just build the time into the whole trip calendar.  

Edited by jsn55
adjective
  • Like 1

Our only river cruise thus far was on Avalon from Nuremberg to Budapest in November 2019. Since we'd previously visited both Budapest and Prague on land vacations, we opted to take the train to Munich post-cruise. Here's where we stayed and recommend all!

Budapest: Hotel Palazzo Zichy

Munich: Hotel Metropol

Prague: Golden Wheel Hotel

I highly recommend the extra cost excursion to Cesky Krumlow!

Question re: airfare with Avalon. 

Can we call Avalon directly? Or must we work through our travel agent?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TMLAalum said:

Our only river cruise thus far was on Avalon from Nuremberg to Budapest in November 2019. Since we'd previously visited both Budapest and Prague on land vacations, we opted to take the train to Munich post-cruise. Here's where we stayed and recommend all!

Budapest: Hotel Palazzo Zichy

Munich: Hotel Metropol

Prague: Golden Wheel Hotel

I highly recommend the extra cost excursion to Cesky Krumlow!

Question re: airfare with Avalon. 

Can we call Avalon directly? Or must we work through our travel agent?

When I booked air with Avalon and later with Viking, they did want my TA on the phone.  Too many instances where the pax tries to 'cheat' the TA by going direct, so the travel providers have set up this system.  Since my TA books my cruises and I plan her air, she didn't have to say a thing other than arrange the conference call and  establish her presence.  I can't emphasize too strongly to know all your options BEFORE the call.  I had upgraded tix with United to Beijing, and I waited a while to book the return.  I watched air fares carefully before booking.  When I booked Hong Kong-SFO with Viking, the o/w fare for biz that morning was $8500; the Viking air desk got two tix for that price.  The agent had no problem giving me the confirmation number so I could choose the seats directly with Cathay Pacific and keep an eye on the flight.

Edited by jsn55
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, moonriver54 said:

So...for train planning purposes...what's the earliest reasonable time we should expect to board Avalon Waterways at Deggendorf at the beginning of our trip?  Should we book First Class on the train from Munich to Deggendorf?  Again...we're all ears open to ALL suggestions. Thanks again!

You can usually drop your bags off anytime after 10:00. It's really only curtesy, as they will be busy before then clearing out the previous passengers, so you wouldn't want your bags mixed up with theirs. 🙂 When we took our Rhine cruise, we had a tour that afternoon at 1:00, so were at the ship at 12:00. We didn't know what would be required, so figured better be early to make sure. They checked us in, and invited us to have lunch & a drink in the lounge. They kept our bags at the front until the room was ready (we were already on tour then, so they were in the cabin when we got back).

As for trains, we pre-booked ours direct through the site : https://www.bahn.de/   You can also check out a site called The man in seat 61, he gives examples of train routes, and it is full of great information.  We went 1st class (it's not that expensive, but you can see prices when you go to the site). When we did the train in Amsterdam, it was just regular class, which was fine as well. Trains are great, we have already started planning for a 6 week trip to Germany by train....once all our river & coach tours are done. 🙂

So many plans...to little time......

• Like 2

20 hours ago, moonriver54 said:

Many people suggest staying on the Buda side - but it is not as accessible to many of the attractions.  Yes, you have the Fisherman's Bastion, and St. Matthias Church (plus the Hospital in the Rock if you are so inclined to visit...) - but much more to see on the Pest Side IMHO. 

We were just there in October - and stayed at the Prestige Hotel.  It isn't far from the Chain Bridge - and there was lots within walking distance.  You can walk to the Parliament, to the Shoes on the Danube, down the Vaci Utca to the Central Market (you really need to see this!!)...  We walked to the Opera House, and the Dohany Synagogue.  And an easy walk to our *favourite* restaurant...

We discovered the Cafe Kor on our 1st visit to Budapest, and make sure we go every time we go back.  It is a small place - so you need reservations.  But - it is authentic Hungarian food --> and SO good. Prices are reasonable... It is just down the street from St. Stephen's Cathedral.

On one of our trips, I booked a tour to Memento/Statue Park.  They picked us up  at our hotel in an old Trabant --> my husband was ecstatic!!  And then - they let him drive!!  A fun tour. 

So much to see & do in Budapest.  We have also visited the Cave Church (not far from the market) and the House of Terror (very sobering...). 

Enjoy your planning... Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Fran

• Like 3