Cruising to Greece from US?

nireg

Hard to know for 2018. For an example Royal Princess has just done a TA and is now in the Med where she will dock on the 21st in Athens and I will then join for a 21 day cruise. I suspect a variety of lines do similar setups but do not know how far in advance they might post schedules. Here is a spot where a cruise savvy T A might be a big help. TA has multiple meanings.

It's possible, but will be long and costly. You will leave the US in April or early May, and take a repositioning cruise, usually to Barcelona, maybe as far as Rome. Then stay on for the next cruise which you hope will call at or end in Piraeus (Athens). For instance, next year HAL Prinsendam leaves FLL on 11 March and ends in Piraeus on 16 April. There is not much on the books yet for 2018. To find that, I went to http://www.cruisetimetables.com and used Piraeus as a port of call, choose April 2017. The port a cruise ends in is a port of call. They don't list them by destination. So, look for a ship that ends a cruise in Piraeus, and then look to see what it is doing before that. EM

Not many 2018 itineraries are out - but to give you an idea, HAL Konigsdam sails April 2 2017 stopping at Athens April 22 -- as part of an ongoing itinerary. You could probably get an inside for about $3,000 a person - giving up the last few days of the itinerary, which ends at Rome.

Has anyone done this recently? Any suggestions/recommendations? Most affordable way to do it...looking to plan for 2018.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Recently booked a "grand voyage" (basically a back-to-back of two smaller segments that are marketed as a transAtlantic (Miami to Barcelona) and a Med cruise that includes stops at several Greek Isles ending in Athens. Just over three weeks total on Oceania.

Just did it on Celebrity Reflection. But 18 will not be out for some time. Historically booking very early gets HIGHEST pricing so do not be in a hurry. I booked a month out and used lines Choice air for one way back to States.TA from Miami, then 11N Italy and Greece cruise, ended Rome.

Edited by zoncom

Is the object being to spend a lot of time on a ship or because you don't want to fly? If the latter, I doubt you're going to be able to return by ship unless you want to stay in Europe until the ships reposition back to the US in the fall for the winter Caribbean season, or you could surface travel to France or UK and return to NY on the Queen Mary. If you're OK with flying, I'd just fly over and spend some time in a European city and just do a Med cruise out of a European port.