Pure selfish

Dajo5601

I'm not certain that's the same thing as a chair hog. Although part of a large group, the way you describe it is that some people were there and standing, waiting for a chair to open up. The couple that arrived later were therefore moved to the front of the line for chairs due to the action of your husband.

If they were saving chairs for members of their group who had not yet arrived, I'd agree with your husband's actions. But he really had no right to pick and choose who would sit in your chairs after you left.

After witnessing the behavior, he had EVERY right to determine who would get their seats when they left.

After witnessing the behavior, he had EVERY right to determine who would get their seats when they left.

Again, what behaviour?!! The individuals were simply waiting for an empty chair in which to sit, taking them only as they became available. Why is it so heinous that those chairs were then being brought over to the table shared by the rest of the group? In what warped world is this the crime of the century? Remember, constant pursing of your lips in indignation gives you wrinkles.

Again, what behaviour?!! The individuals were simply waiting for an empty chair in which to sit, taking them only as they became available. Why is it so heinous that those chairs were then being brought over to the table shared by the rest of the group? In what warped world is this the crime of the century? Remember, constant pursing of your lips in indignation gives you wrinkles.

Yeah I can't get what's wrong with moving an unoccupied chair so you can sit together.

The things some people get upset about amazes me.

Imagine the scene aboard the Emerald Princess at 1.30.pm last Friday (13th May). Following a cloudy morning at sea, the sun broke through and the prospect of a nice sunny afternoon was a reality. As I was one of the first to venture out into the glorious sunshine I chose a lounger on the Sun Deck.

A few minutes later I noticed a lady struggling up the steps laden down with towels and she put a towel on each of six loungers laid out in a row. She then went back down the steps and returned with a further six towels, each of which she draped over the backs of each of the chairs. She then walked away and despite me staying on my lounger until 3.15.pm, the lady never returned and not one person sat on the six "reserved" loungers.

As I left I went to the deck steward and pointed the woman's action out to him as there was by now a distinct lack of available loungers and suggest that he threw the towels in his used towel bin.

The utter selfishness of some people on cruise ships never ceases to amaze me, I don't hold out any hope that this SELFISH creature will see this posting, but I certainly feel better for having written it.

We've experienced a couple of different types of chair hoggers. Many years ago we were on a cruise with our kids, and we were waiting to see a show in the Vista lounge. Both kids had to pay a visit to the toilet, and while they were gone a couple of ladies came up and try to take their seats, and of course we told them they were occupied. They became extremely annoyed and told us we could not keep the seats, and eventually security had to come because they became so loud (there were plenty of seats for 2 but not many for 4). Security removed the ladies and left us with our seats. Last year on the Diamond my husband and I went to Skywalkers for the Platinum/Elite drinks and sat down in some seats which had a great view and soon realised that the people around us were upset because we had taken their friends seats (their friends didn't show up for at least 45 mins)! We got dirty looks for the entire 2 hours and it upset us so much we went and did it again the next night! :p

Edited by trishh

The snarling looks he got. Sorry, but anyone who gave me that kind of look would most certainly be refused the seats.

We've experienced a couple of different types of chair hoggers. Many years ago we were on a cruise with our kids, and we were waiting to see a show in the Vista lounge. Both kids had to pay a visit to the toilet, and while they were gone a couple of ladies came up and try to take their seats, and of course we told them they were occupied. They became extremely annoyed and told us we could not keep the seats, and eventually security had to come because they became so loud (there were plenty of seats for 2 but not many for 4). Security removed the ladies and left us with our seats. Last year on the Diamond my husband and I went to Skywalkers for the Platinum/Elite drinks and sat down in some seats which had a great view and soon realised that the people around us were upset because we had taken their friends seats (their friends didn't show up for at least 45 mins)! We got dirty looks for the entire 2 hours and it upset us so much we went and did it again the next night! :p

Good for you!

Lots of people do the same thing each night.

Many like myself show up early to the shows & reserve one seat for their spouse who arrives much later. It's quite different than reserving a whole row for a group. Many ships make the announcement that reserving one seat is perfectly OK.

With respect, not everyone would agree with you view. The only 'snarl' or black look seemed to have come when the chairs were given to others who had just arrived. I see nothing wrong with the behaviour of waiting for chairs to be vacated and then moving them to be with the group. Admittedly I am not a fan of big groups travelling together but it happens. The people were leaving anyway so why did they think they had to do anything at all. It did not affect them at all.

I dislike the true chair hogs who nab a chair almost before sun up for their use later in the day when they feel like it but some of the angst and suggestions here I find surprising.

Edited by Aussieflyer

Lots of people do the same thing each night.

Many like myself show up early to the shows & reserve one seat for their spouse who arrives much later. It's quite different than reserving a whole row for a group. Many ships make the announcement that reserving one seat is perfectly OK.

Certainly not on the Regal!! It was announced that NO children(without parents)allowed in the first couple of rows. NO seat reserving beyond a sig. other was allowed either. This was a daily standard announcement made each night in the theater.

With respect, not everyone would agree with you view. The only 'snarl' or black look seemed to have come when the chairs were given to others who had just arrived. I see nothing wrong with the behaviour of waiting for chairs to be vacated and then moving them to be with the group. Admittedly I am not a fan of big groups travelling together but it happens. The people were leaving anyway so why did they think they had to do anything at all. It did not affect them at all.

I dislike the true chair hogs who nab a chair almost before sun up for their use later in the day when they feel like it but some of the angst and suggestions here I find surprising.

Again, PLEASE READ the post! This group felt "ENTITLED" to the entire room of chairs, sorry, but these pax are hogs plain & simple. They could easily ask for more chairs to be brought in, rather than feel they have the right to everything in the room. Seems like you might have been part of that group! I think more pax will agree with me on this. "Students?"(100 points to who used that line!)

Again, PLEASE READ the post! This group felt "ENTITLED" to the entire room of chairs, sorry, but these pax are hogs plain & simple. They could easily ask for more chairs to be brought in, rather than feel they have the right to everything in the room. Seems like you might have been part of that group! I think more pax will agree with me on this. "Students?"(100 points to who used that line!)

What difference does it make whether the group sat at separate tables or around one table? They were there- standing, waiting- before others walked up. They were entitled to those chairs.

Here's the other side of this coin...ten people arrive and sit at ten different tables. The other chairs at each table are not used. According to the "TABLES RULE!" theory, no one else can use those chairs. Those chairs cannot be pulled around an eleventh table to allow more people to be seated.

It makes no sense to me at all.

Certainly not on the Regal!! It was announced that NO children(without parents)allowed in the first couple of rows. NO seat reserving beyond a sig. other was allowed either. This was a daily standard announcement made each night in the theater.

I have heard the announcements over & over again & there's not one Princess ship around that won't let you hold 1 seat for a spouse. People never argue about one seat - it's the ones that hold a row that cause conflicts.

They never ask if anyone's using the seat especially when there's a sweater or bag sitting on it. ;)

We always get to the theater early and really enjoy watching someone frantically trying to save multiple seats in a row. Head twisting around looking for the rest of their large party to show up and telling other people "sorry these seats are taken". We thought one lady was going to strip down completely by draping different articles of clothing across multiple seats. We consider it our preshow entertainment and just sit there, enjoy a drink and laugh at him or her.

I always put towels two chairs then go to my cabin watch the morning show, shower and get ready for the day. We then take our one hour walk, go to the lido grab some breakfast and then go.to the chairs I reserved for us on our balcony.

I always put towels two chairs then go to my cabin watch the morning show, shower and get ready for the day. We then take our one hour walk, go to the lido grab some breakfast and then go.to the chairs I reserved for us on our balcony.

Ha ha ha! You almost got me. Thank goodness I re-read your post a couple of times. Good one. :D

This happens all the time. I don't know what Princess's policy is on saving chairs/loungers. I do know that DCL has a written policy which is posted in the Navigator daily as well as being printed on the back of the loungers. I have a very simple solution. If there are no loungers remaining and I want one' date=' I watch for about 15 minutes. If no one appears to sit in one that is occupied by a towel only, that towel mysteriously drops to the ground which frees up the lounger.[/quote']

For added fun, move the lounger to a nearby location but sufficiently away from its original location so as to provide some entertainment should the Hog return. He/She will be scratching their head trying to figure out where their chair went and you get to smile and enjoy the ensuing confusion.

For added fun, move the lounger to a nearby location but sufficiently away from its original location so as to provide some entertainment should the Hog return. He/She will be scratching their head trying to figure out where their chair went and you get to smile and enjoy the ensuing confusion.

Actually that is not as simple as it sounds. Most chair set ups are elbow to elbow. In fact, one has to crawl onto the chair from the foot much less move it to another location where there is no room to put it.

Dozens of comments on this thread, of many others on the same topic, and we are no closer to a solution than when the very first post was made. That's assuming the goal is in fact a solution versus just railing against the hoggers.

Actually that is not as simple as it sounds. Most chair set ups are elbow to elbow. In fact, one has to crawl onto the chair from the foot much less move it to another location where there is no room to put it.

Dozens of comments on this thread, of many others on the same topic, and we are no closer to a solution than when the very first post was made. That's assuming the goal is in fact a solution versus just railing against the hoggers.

The fact that we're on page 13 and over 245 posts in about 10 days on this topic says something. People are genuinely ticked at the issue of chair hogs and would like Princess to do something.

Excellent idea.....:D:D:D

Bob

Not on a cruise, but today my family was sitting at a table at an outdoors mall. Three of us. My hubby left to use the restroom facilities. A short while later, I heard a scrapping sound. The chair that my hubby had just been sitting in was being dragged to the next table. The woman didn't ask if the chair was being used; she just took it.

I was dumbfounded but said loudly to my daughter, what the ----, that was dad's chair and she didn't even ask. My daughter was rolling her eyes, but I said it even louder that it's rude to just take a chair without asking.

My hubby returned and I repeated my disbelief that someone would be that rude. He took the one remaining chair at our table and moved it between my daughter and me, rather than bringing it to where he was sitting before (I had even suggested that he should move it there and somehow hit the other chair with it...just to get her attention).

I did resist going to the woman and saying something just in case she simply didn't hear me and suggest that she shouldn't just take a chair without asking. Certainly if we didn't have a spare chair, I would have.

Not on a cruise' date=' but today my family was sitting at a table at an outdoors mall. Three of us. My hubby left to use the restroom facilities. A short while later, I heard a scrapping sound. The chair that my hubby had just been sitting in was being dragged to the next table. The woman didn't ask if the chair was being used; she just took it.

I was dumbfounded but said loudly to my daughter, what the ----, that was dad's chair and she didn't even ask. My daughter was rolling her eyes, but I said it even louder that it's rude to just take a chair without asking.

My hubby returned and I repeated my disbelief that someone would be that rude. He took the one remaining chair at our table and moved it between my daughter and me, rather than bringing it to where he was sitting before (I had even suggested that he should move it there and somehow hit the other chair with it...just to get her attention).

I did resist going to the woman and saying something just in case she simply didn't hear me and suggest that she shouldn't just take a chair without asking. Certainly if we didn't have a spare chair, I would have.[/quote']

Now if you had been on a cruise, many here would class you as a CHOG.

Others are adamant that if you go to the restroom, you loose your chair.

Not on a cruise' date=' but today my family was sitting at a table at an outdoors mall. Three of us. My hubby left to use the restroom facilities. A short while later, I heard a scrapping sound. The chair that my hubby had just been sitting in was being dragged to the next table. The woman didn't ask if the chair was being used; she just took it.

I did resist going to the woman and saying something just in case she simply didn't hear me and suggest that she shouldn't just take a chair without asking. Certainly if we didn't have a spare chair, I would have.[/quote']

A few years ago my wife and I were flying to Victoria, via a connection in Seattle. The airport was crowded and most of the tables in the central food court were busy. My wife found a table with one chair. A table nearby had two people sitting there and four chairs. They were using two of them to hold jackets. My wife asked if she could have one and the woman said no.

A few minutes later I came back and it turns out that the husband was someone I knew (we were both vice presidents at the same pharma company) and he quickly offered me one of the chairs. Then we proceeded to introduce both of our wives. His wife was one very embarrassed individual. It was just a coincidence that we were both traveling to the same place.

Edited by RDC1

I wouldn't have been as nice.....:):):)

Bob

It is even more fun to move their stuff to another location - preferably on another deck and in a bad location. And before anyone flames me, I am not stealing their stuff. I am just moving it.

DON