RCCL Panama Canal

I don't think RCL has any ships left that are small enough to fit through the canal. Maybe Empress of the Seas? The new canal locks are too expensive for most of the cruise ship to cost justify using it. But who knows!

Spoke to Captain while on Serenade about Royal cruising the Canal. Was told that there is nothing in their plans. What a bummer.

Have done a full transit on Coral Princess which was great, but wanted to experience it on a Royal ship. Oh well!!

I don't think RCL has any ships left that are small enough to fit through the canal. Maybe Empress of the Seas? The new canal locks are too expensive for most of the cruise ship to cost justify using it. But who knows!

Both Vision and Radiance class ships can do full transit of the present P.C.

We did a partial on Brilliance! It's just a costly cruise...

...and was discontinued several years ago, reportedly as a result of the increased access cost. But we also did a partial on Jewel which was the last itinerary of that type before being discontinued. One of our favorite cruises, which we would do again if offered.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

More ships in the fleet also means that they don't have to reposition the ships as much as they did in the past.

True, and that would be the method of getting a full transit. But in earlier years (as CB indicated) they offered itineraries that did a partial by way of entering the locks on the Caribbean side and and turning around in Lake Gatun. They would typically anchor there for a few hours while some tender based tours took place on land, then return back through the locks for a short dock stop in Cristobal.

In our case that was part of a 10-night itinerary that also included, among several others, Aruba and Cartagena, Columbia. Really nice itinerary!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We did the Panama Canal on Legend of the Seas in 2014 - great cruise! Ours was from San Diego to Ft Lauderdale, full transit through the canal. I believe the toll for our ship, which is based on the number of berths, was about $280,000. The toll rates published in 2015 for cruise ships are $138/berth for the old locks and $148/berth for the new locks. (The number of berths includes all potential berths on the ship, both passengers and crew.) Legend, as all Vision class ships would, certainly did fit through the old canal, which has two lanes and can accommodate about 30-32 ships per day.

The new canal, also two lanes, was still under construction when we made our transit. The new portion will allow larger ships to transit - I think I heard that Voyager class size ships would be able use the new set of locks. So Radiance class, Vision Class, and Sovereign class fit through the old locks, and Voyager class could transit the new ones. The new canal is supposed to open this summer.

There are plenty of ships in the current RC fleet that will fit through the canal, both the old and the new portions. Our PC cruise was sold out shortly after final payment, and all the PC cruises I've looked at are selling well and prices generally go up instead of down. I take this to mean that there is certainly customer demand and customers are willing to pay that $138-148 per person extra to experience the canal. Royal has evidently chosen not to offer Panama Canal itineraries now, but I don't know why!

I'd definitely do it again, so we are exploring other cruise lines right now. I do know that next time I want to go East to West - that way you GAiN time on your cruise instead of losing a few hours!:D

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

True, and that would be the method of getting a full transit. But in earlier years (as CB indicated) they offered itineraries that did a partial by way of entering the locks on the Caribbean side and and turning around in Lake Gatun. They would typically anchor there for a few hours while some tender based tours took place on land, then return back through the locks for a short dock stop in Cristobal.

In our case that was part of a 10-night itinerary that also included, among several others, Aruba and Cartagena, Columbia. Really nice itinerary!

Didn't they stop doing the partial transits before they stopped the full transits? One of those cruises that's on my bucket list that looks like if I want to do it then I will need to find a different line to do it on.

Didn't they stop doing the partial transits before they stopped the full transits? One of those cruises that's on my bucket list that looks like if I want to do it then I will need to find a different line to do it on.

Yes - I think it was 2008? Great bucket list cruise!

I'd definitely do it again, so we are exploring other cruise lines right now. I do know that next time I want to go East to West - that way you GAiN time on your cruise instead of losing a few hours!:D

Judy

Check out the NCL Jewel, sailing westbound (Miami to LA) this coming January 20. The sailing was just added and so there are lots of really great cabins still to be had.

The new canal, also two lanes, was still under construction when we made our transit. The new portion will allow larger ships to transit - I think I heard that Voyager class size ships would be able use the new set of locks. So Radiance class, Vision Class, and Sovereign class fit through the old locks, and Voyager class could transit the new ones. The new canal is supposed to open this summer.

Judy

The new locks for the expansion are just a single flight of locks, of course there will be two way traffic through much of the remainder of the Canal. Technically all of Royal's ships will fit through the expanded locks, the problem with the Voyager/Freedom and Oasis class, they are too tall as presently configured. Any of those ship or ships that Royal wanted to transit from the Voyager/Freedom class I believe could either be modified or be granted an exception for a transit. Recently Celebrity's Solstice had a modification to an offending mast to clear the Lion's Gate Bridge in Vancouver. That Bridge has a clearance of just a little less than the Bridge of Americas. On the bright side with the Quantum class they have kept those ships at the Canal's highest permitted air draft. As far as the Oasis class... they will have a lot of work to cram all those stacks down in order for them to clear the BoA. Probably the Panama Canal is not in their future.

Actually a West to East transit is the way to go. Since you loose time, that means you don't have to wait as long for breakfast;):D!

IIRC they stopped the partial transits somewhere around 2010. The Jewel had replaced the Brilliance and it did a season or two with the partial transits. I remember there was a bit of grumbling when Royal had started selling partial transits for the next season and then quietly swapped the partial for just a stop in Colon. On another note, Princess is offering a partial transit of another sort... a partial from California! Leaves CA, enters the Canal on the Pacific side, transits almost to Gatun Locks, overnights in Gatun Lake and then turns around exiting the Pacific Locks the next day.

Edited by BillB48

Some years ago we did the Jewel, which tendered off shore on the Atlantic side.

We took a shore excursion that included a great time on a two deck open ferry

that went all the way through to the Pacific side. Even got close enough to touch

the lock wall, and were awed at the bridge of Americas. At the Pacific side, they

bused us back to the tenders and the waiting Jewel. Was fantastic! :)

We would like to take a cruise through the Panama Canal (one-way CA to FL or FL to CA). Does anyone know whether RCCL has any plans to offer such an itinerary in the future? Have they in the past?

Royal's "partners" go thru the Panama Canal. Azamara and Celebrity. Nothing on future schedules for Royal - I have been waiting and hoping.

Royal's "partners" go thru the Panama Canal. Azamara and Celebrity. Nothing on future schedules for Royal - I have been waiting and hoping.

We have basically given up on the line now, with no ships on the west coast. Only hope left is Legend in late 2017, but I suspect Legend is being sold, or going to be a 2nd ship to Cuba.

We have basically given up on the line now, with no ships on the west coast. Only hope left is Legend in late 2017, but I suspect Legend is being sold, or going to be a 2nd ship to Cuba.

I would sure rather see Legend here in PC, and send Majesty down there instead.

+1!

I am holding on to hope for that Bob. With the popularity of our 3/4 night

itineraries here in PC, trading in Enchantment for the smaller Majesty just does

not make any sense at all.

At least Legend would be another Vision class, yet capacity still not equal

to "the Enstretchment".