Laundry shrinkage

rsail203

We'll be cruising on Summit and Solstice in July and September. Can we send clothes to the laundry without them shrinking? I've seen postings about fading, but what about shrinking? Can anyone tell me about their experiences?

We'll be cruising on Summit and Solstice in July and September. Can we send clothes to the laundry without them shrinking? I've seen postings about fading, but what about shrinking? Can anyone tell me about their experiences?

We have had nothing but good experiences with Celebrity laundry, but we are selective about what we send to the laundry.......anywhere.

We have had nothing but good experiences with Celebrity laundry, but we are selective about what we send to the laundry.......anywhere.

Our experience has been the same, no problems. I might add that DW is a bit more selective on what she sends to the laundry (still she sends 90%).

I have sailed on the Summit 6 times in the past 4 years. Summit does a good job with laundry. Everything came back in good condition neatly folded. Nothing shrank. Clothing has tabs inside clothing that can be peeled off easily. I have not been on the Solstice. Each ship has different laundry system. Silhouette, Eclipse, and Millenium are good. However the Infinity is terrible. They used permanent markers to write cabin no. inside cothing. On some lighter items, the black ink bled through ruining the clothing. Some of marks were bleached out. Okay for white cottons. Not good for colored items. Infinity did not separate dark from light. I have dingy blue socks that used to be white. Infinity laundry created pinholes in knit items. Infinity did try to fix the problems.

To be safe, separate dark from light. Write any instructions on the laundry slip. I wash delicate items myself. I bring clothing that can tolerate a commercial laundry.

We've only experienced the same effect fron X laundry as experienced with home laundry. If its brand new 100% cotton item, it's liable to show some laundering effect from either.

We were given a souvenir MSC Yacht Club T-shirt in XL that shrunk to Med after washiing due to cheap material. The Captain even joked about these Tees shrinking bably when handing out.

Each ship has different laundry system. Silhouette, Eclipse, and Millenium are good. However the Infinity is terrible. They used permanent markers to write cabin no. inside cothing.

Just got off the Infinity, sent a bag of laundry on two different occasions. Absolutely no problems, 110% satisfied. They used easy to peel off stickers to identify laundry, no markers anywhere, no fading including my white shirt. They did a beautiful job of pressing it too. Just our personal experience, can't speak for everyone.

I've also had great experiences with the laundry on Celebrity. I don't send any delicate items or any that I am afraid might be damaged, mostly cotton shirts, shorts and maybe jeans.

We also follow these same rules. No problems with Celebrity after 8 plus cruises.

Just got off the Infinity, sent a bag of laundry on two different occasions. Absolutely no problems, 110% satisfied. They used easy to peel off stickers to identify laundry, no markers anywhere, no fading including my white shirt. They did a beautiful job of pressing it too. Just our personal experience, can't speak for everyone.

Nice to hear that Infinity has improved their laundry service. The printed peel off tabs are so much better than the black permanent marker.

I haven't sent laundry in a while because of the shrinking issues encountered in the past. I do not own any clothing that is appropriate to wash in hot water and dry in hot heat. YMMV

The only issue I had was the detergent/starch reacted with my skin, terrible itching & raised rash that took 2 weeks post cruise to sort itself out, this happened on Reflection, Solstice & recently on Silhouette.

On Reflection we had clothes laundered & Solstice & Silhouette I had nothing laundered but suffered a similar reaction.

I don't normally have this type of reaction @ home & use biological detergent so l'm guessing it's what the bedding/towels are washed in?

I would be interested to hear if others have had similar experiences & what suggestions you have to help for next time (don't want to hijack the thread though)

FG :)

The only issue I had was the detergent/starch reacted with my skin, terrible itching & raised rash that took 2 weeks post cruise to sort itself out, this happened on Reflection, Solstice & recently on Silhouette.

On Reflection we had clothes laundered & Solstice & Silhouette I had nothing laundered but suffered a similar reaction.

I don't normally have this type of reaction @ home & use biological detergent so l'm guessing it's what the bedding/towels are washed in?

I would be interested to hear if others have had similar experiences & what suggestions you have to help for next time (don't want to hijack the thread though)

FG :)

We never had a problem with that, but DW did have a reaction on a couple of cruises were the staff were spraying huge amounts of the disinfectant in our cabin. We had to ask the attendants to stop spraying in our cabin.

I had a fairly new polo shirt shrink a couple of years ago on the Constellation. More than I would have expected and made unwearable. Since then I only have good things dry cleaned, with no problems. No problems with regular laundry on underwear and socks.

Don't be fooled as much as we joke about clothes shrinking on the ship, it is actually our bodies getting larger. We have used the laundry numerous times and have had no issues. That said, my wife doesn't send anything delicate that she may miss if it was damaged or lost. We send everything else, jeans, shorts, trousers, blouses, skirts, socks shirts, polo's, t-shirts, etc.:D

I like the thinking of the OP. When we take really long cruises it does seem like all of our clothes shrink every time we send them to the laundry. Towards the end of the cruise, our clothes that have been laundered multiple times, no longer fit! The next time this happens we shall happily blame the laundry....and eat on!

Hank

I'll get things dry cleaned--I have detergent sensitivities that would have me a hot mess of itching from laundry. The only time I wear long pajamas is on a cruise (sheets). my DH sends shirts & tshirts, underwear/socks to laundry. Trousers go to the dry cleaners.

I like the thinking of the OP. When we take really long cruises it does seem like all of our clothes shrink every time we send them to the laundry. Towards the end of the cruise, our clothes that have been laundered multiple times, no longer fit! The next time this happens we shall happily blame the laundry....and eat on!

Hank

Yes, the salt air doesn't help either.:p

I'll get things dry cleaned--I have detergent sensitivities that would have me a hot mess of itching from laundry. The only time I wear long pajamas is on a cruise (sheets). my DH sends shirts & tshirts, underwear/socks to laundry. Trousers go to the dry cleaners.

I am sorry to hear about your allergies, it must put a real cramp on holidays. At least you have it sorted. A friend with an allergy sprays the sheets and finds that this neutralises the contaminant. Perhaps ask your doctor if something can work.:D

We were thorough impressed by their laundry service of the Millenium. Everything came back the following day, folded or pressed on hangers. They have room for specific instructions on the laundry sheet.