Celebrity Eclipse -New Production Shows, oh dear.

kevinyork

We saw the shows in January, over 20 cruises with Celebrity and I must say I found them awful ! We were tired of the old shows but they were much better. They have to know who is in the audience, I guess it would have been ok for 20 years old but there were none to be seen !

After reading all these comments about the new shows, I'm seriously thinking of going back to Royal and cancelling my X cruise on the Equinox for next year. The only thing stopping me is the price difference when I take into account the drinks and $300.00 OBC on X. The Equinox is a 7 day, and the Freedom a 6 day Western Carib. It balances out to only about $200.00. That's with Royal's new "sale". I guess I have time to make up my mind.

Celebrity now writes and produces it's own shows...(yes, cost saving of course). The new shows are reviews focused on colorful costumes, loud music and lots of movement on and above the stage. Any story has been created to try to tie individual, unrelated scenes together. It's almost unfair to comment on the story lines but they need time for the dancers to do costume changes.

Keep in mind that Celebrity (and other cruise lines) are not exactly hiring Broadway's best....nor are they hiring outstanding musicians. There focus is loud and colorful which hopefully provide cover for the lack of execution and yes, content.

We normally don't go to the shows, but on our last cruise, I did go to a couple...and I found it fun. Certainly, it was loud, the costumes were gaudy enough and the music was...well, tolerable. I think you have to go to the shows with the right expectation. If you're expecting a broadway production, you are going to walk away very unhappy. If you think of it as a review...well, I think it's enjoyable. Order a drink, sit back and relax.

As I recall, the old shows, pre-celebrity developing their own, weren't really any better. I think this is one area of Celebrity cruising that's actually stayed the same over time....mediocre, but consistent.

I wouldn't skip the shows if you haven't seen them....make your own judgments. Sit in back...it's easy to leave.

Edited by ghstudio

As I recall, the old shows, pre-celebrity developing their own, weren't really any better. I think this is one area of Celebrity cruising that's actually stayed the same over time....mediocre, but consistent.

I wouldn't skip the shows if you haven't seen them....make your own judgments. Sit in back...it's easy to leave.

We agree. Consistently mediocre. That's why a beverage package makes the entertainment so much more palatable. ;)

We have been sailing with =X= since 1997, and have attended virtually all of their production shows. We've found some enjoyment in them, but still considered shows the weakest link in the =X= experience.

In April we sailed on the Equinox TA. The shows were "Life", "Destiny" and "Elysium". They were, without a doubt, the BEST production shows we've ever seen on any ship. They moved us emotionally; I still get goosebumps thinking about them. The outstanding dancers and singers were the main element in the quality of the shows. Visuals were brilliant, performances were seamless. I want to experience them again and again.

Another person in agreement about the awful shows. Why oh why did they have such stupid story lines. Just give me some nice songs and good singers and I'll be happy.

DW says the same thing. Doubt if anyone really cares about those scripted story lines. And then there is the issue of all the music (and some voices) being pre-recorded. The shows have essentially become sophisticated Karaoke where the entertainers on the ship to the sing along. And what is almost silly is when the dancers (who do not even have mikes) mouth the words like they are also singers.

That being said, we do think that Celebrity and a few other lines have done a better job recruiting some decent voices. There was a time when we thought it luck if 1 or 2 of the singers were decent. But on our last few cruises the singers have all had a pretty decent amount of talent. But they might do better just singing Karaoke in a lounge :)

Hank

DW and I have stopped attending the production shows over the past few years and based on this unanimous thread we will probably continue to avoid them. The only ones of any interest were the cirque type shows. We have, on the other hand, found many of the individual performers very good. The aceppella groups were also very entertaining.

Thanks for all the warnings!

We were on the 3 April 2016 sailing on the Eclipse and we enjoyed all three production shows. As a matter of fact so did everyone else that attended the shows based on the applauses and standing ovations.

We were on the March 20 Eclipse sailing and just loved the rock show. We thought it was the best production show we had ever seen on Celebrity. The other shows were okay. I ignored the loose story line and just appreciated the music, dancing, costumes, lighting and sets.

I didn't observe folks exiting early en masse. Those who left early were cutting out about five or ten minutes earl, so I assumed they were scurrying to dinner as we always attended the early show.

Its too bad that so many people here did not like the new shows. As Dave and Kathy said above, the shows had liberal applause. The audience seemed sincere.

Interesting the difference in opinions from cruisers on sailings prior to the 17th April transatlantic where I guess the passengers are predominantly from the Americas, to those on the British sailings after the TA where the pax mix was mainly British and European with a smattering from further afield . Different expectations obviously.

Edited by harz99

Celebrity now writes and produces it's own shows...(yes, cost saving of course). The new shows are reviews focused on colorful costumes, loud music and lots of movement on and above the stage. Any story has been created to try to tie individual, unrelated scenes together. It's almost unfair to comment on the story lines but they need time for the dancers to do costume changes.

Keep in mind that Celebrity (and other cruise lines) are not exactly hiring Broadway's best....nor are they hiring outstanding musicians. There focus is loud and colorful which hopefully provide cover for the lack of execution and yes, content.

We normally don't go to the shows, but on our last cruise, I did go to a couple...and I found it fun. Certainly, it was loud, the costumes were gaudy enough and the music was...well, tolerable. I think you have to go to the shows with the right expectation. If you're expecting a broadway production, you are going to walk away very unhappy. If you think of it as a review...well, I think it's enjoyable. Order a drink, sit back and relax.

We were on the 3 April 2016 sailing on the Eclipse and we enjoyed all three production shows. As a matter of fact so did everyone else that attended the shows based on the applause and standing ovations.

We were on the Eclipse in February and I was almost afraid to post on here that I actually enjoyed the new shows.

They weren't Broadway and I wasn't looking for a story line but the music, costumes and dancing were fun.

In general I found a real LACK of evening entertainment on that cruise so the production shows and featured entertainers in the theater were very appreciated.

I'm 74 years old, and just saw a sample of the "Rock"show. First of all it looked and sounded like a bad high school show. Given my age, my music basically was "old time rock and roll", then the disco era. I know music has evolved big time since then, but the music and the way it was sung on this clip doesn't fall into any category. It was just jibberish in my opinion. The clip was a little over 2 minutes, and I didn't last that long. My last 3 cruises were on the Oasis, Serenade, and MSC Divina. All three got standing ovations with very few walkouts. The only standing ovation for this show would be walking out. Sorry.

Don't think the standing ovations are indicative of any real theater appreciation or . They have become so de rigueur that I swear there would be standing ovations if someone stood on a stage and tapped their foot for 40 minutes (but did it without falling down!!)

We laugh frequently about people jumping up and going wild for a mediocre (or worse, a terrible) performance. It cheapens the whole process and gives no incentive to do better. These are not grade school performers who need support, even if they are not good. They are professionals that should be held to a decent standard. If it is well done, we are the first to show appreciation. If it is awful, we don't join the masses.

Don't think the standing ovations are indicative of any real theater appreciation or . They have become so de rigueur that I swear there would be standing ovations if someone stood on a stage and tapped their foot for 40 minutes (but did it without falling down!!)

We laugh frequently about people jumping up and going wild for a mediocre (or worse, a terrible) performance. It cheapens the whole process and gives no incentive to do better. These are not grade school performers who need support, even if they are not good. They are professionals that should be held to a decent standard. If it is well done, we are the first to show appreciation. If it is awful, we don't join the masses.

This is so true...even in the big time professional venues...I think people pay so much to see a musical/play that we think for that kind of money it HAS to be good...

I do agree that the best show I saw was a cirque type show on Infinity Panama Canal...I don't know what she would be called, but the woman who performed above us on the ribbon was amazing and I would have watched her for 2 hours and applauded wildly.

PS: One of the best things we ever did in Asheville was the Zoom Tour. Augusta Wind was fantastic.

We were on the 3 April 2016 sailing on the Eclipse and we enjoyed all three production shows. As a matter of fact so did everyone else that attended the shows based on the applauses and standing ovations.

You must have attended the 7pm shows. The cast must have used up all their energy there because the 9pm ones weren't good, and didn't see anyone standing except to leave.

You must have attended the 7pm shows. The cast must have used up all their energy there because the 9pm ones weren't good, and didn't see anyone standing except to leave.

No standing ovations at our early shows either. In fact the applause was just polite rather than appreciative. We met loads of people onboard including some friends who are elite and elite plus, all said the shows were the worst in their history of cruising and they are Celebrity lovers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have been sailing with =X= since 1997, and have attended virtually all of their production shows. We've found some enjoyment in them, but still considered shows the weakest link in the =X= experience.

In April we sailed on the Equinox TA. The shows were "Life", "Destiny" and "Elysium". They were, without a doubt, the BEST production shows we've ever seen on any ship. They moved us emotionally; I still get goosebumps thinking about them. The outstanding dancers and singers were the main element in the quality of the shows. Visuals were brilliant, performances were seamless. I want to experience them again and again.

Could u explaini elysium to us.. dark and light,,. Good and evil....singers had good voices but after awhile it bored us and seemed to be going nowhere.,,we left...we wanted to like it but didn't get it

Just like food, entertainment is very subjective. For example, I am so bored by the cirque type shows- they all do the same thing- enough already! Some people like it- I enjoy talented singers, dancers, Broadway quality musicals and good comedy acts. No harmonica playing, jugglers or magicians for me. We once saw a xylosynth player and his wife was dancing around him (not at all talented) like a whirling top. I believe it was on the Solstice.

We were with people and we all were hysterical laughing- how can they pass certain things off as talent- might as well thrown pies in each others faces- but some people enjoy cornball.

Edited by Cruise a holic

We've avoided production shows for years but decided to go to Topper on Eclipse in March. If we had not been in the middle of a row we would have walked out. When they did the number towards the end with the f-bomb repeated multiple times a lot of people did walk out.

We would like to reassure our guests that the lyrics in our show Topper says the words “Uptown Funk.” We are working with our singers to ensure that the word “funk” is sung more clearly. None of Celebrity’s shows use profanity, and our sincerest apologies if guests thought they heard profanity. Topper has had rave reviews and we hope this alleviates any concern.

We would like to reassure our guests that the lyrics in our show Topper says the words “Uptown Funk.” We are working with our singers to ensure that the word “funk” is sung more clearly. None of Celebrity’s shows use profanity, and our sincerest apologies if guests thought they heard profanity. Topper has had rave reviews and we hope this alleviates any concern.

Rave Reviews? Really. By whom? It was a childish story with mediocre singing. Laughable in parts. It's sad that Celebrity think these new shows are good as you will just lose more business unless you react to the feedback. We are back in Eclipse in Sep but won't be booking again unless the entertainment matches the 'modern luxury' tag you so often quote.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk