Speciality restaurants and fees

flifish64

We have a 5 yr old in our group and are looking at going to one of the Speciality Restaurants for my Husbands 80th birthday. (5 yr old is granddaughter). Is the fee the same for the 5 yr old as it is for the others in our group?

This is on an Alaskan cruise on Infinity. There will be 7 of us. 80, 69, 53. 42, 33, 33, and 5.

Which restaurant would you recommend for our diverse group?

Birthday boy is leaning toward Tuscan Grill and I am leaning toward Qsine.

Thanks for any input.

Carol

Edited by flifish64

There are no children's prices at any specialty.

I think I might consider taking the money and getting a sitter that night. Dinner in a specialty can take two hours or more, and a child might get bored and cause consternation. Celebrate with the grandchild at lunch, and have an adult dinner party.

Only you know your granddaughter. Some can be very well behaved, others can scream and run around. You need to decide if she will sit quietly and not bother other guests or not. (I know everyone's granddaughter is a special princess who can do no wrong but try to be honest in your evaluation).

Since you have six paying guests, I suspect that the maitre d' might allow her to join you at dinner....probably without charge...but it's between you and the maitre d'. Remember, you are putting his job on the line...because he will be breaking the rules. If your granddaughter starts to make a fuss/etc....you should be ready to exit instantly with her. The other guests will not think she's cute and it's highly likely they would say something to the maitre d's boss.

Personally, I think it's very high risk...but as I said, you know your granddaughter and there are some that would be fine at a dinner like this....very few, but some.

Your safe bet is to hire a sitter for the evening.

There is no private area in Qsine or Tuscan Grill. If you really want to do this, I'd suggest Murano and ask to eat in the wine cellar which is a private area, although there is no door to the main dining room.

Ok, we will get flamed but here goes anyway. Folks pay up to $50 per person to dine in some of the specialty restaurants (this is among the highest prices at sea) and they expect to have a nice relaxing dining experience. There are not many folks that want to be in a fine restaurant (we could argue whether Murano...et al meet that term) with a screaming 5 year old at the next table. So if you have kids that know how to behave during a multi-hour dining experience...then great. Otherwise...please reconsider.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Tuscan Grill on Infinity is in the space that was once the Murano equivalent restaurant with a wine cellar that I think is still there as a private dining venue. You might want to inquire about using this area for your birthday celebration and if the 5 year old is with you she would be somewhat secluded from the other diners.

Ok, we will get flamed but here goes anyway. Folks pay up to $50 per person to dine in some of the specialty restaurants (this is among the highest prices at sea) and they expect to have a nice relaxing dining experience. There are not many folks that want to be in a fine restaurant (we could argue whether Murano...et al meet that term) with a screaming 5 year old at the next table. So if you have kids that know how to behave during a multi-hour dining experience...then great. Otherwise...please reconsider.

Hank

No flaming Hank. I am with you ... if the 5 year old can sit quietly for a couple to a few hours, then fine with me. But, I would ask to be reseated for another evening if I spent that kind of money on my elegant dining experience if there was all sorts of commotion or worse yet, screaming, because the five year old really doesn't know how to behave in this setting. As you've mentioned, if they do know how to behave, then great....otherwise, I would consider an alternate venue.

There are no children's prices at any specialty.

I think I might consider taking the money and getting a sitter that night. Dinner in a specialty can take two hours or more, and a child might get bored and cause consternation. Celebrate with the grandchild at lunch, and have an adult dinner party.

I thought they instituted children's pricing a while back...

http://www.creative.rccl.com/e-lite/CEL/15047725_CEL_Children_Specialty_Dining/15047725_CEL_Children_Specialty_Dining.html

Thank you Cruise Junky -- I try to stay current on policies, but somehow this one slipped by me and I stand corrected. Thanks for posting.

No worries. I remembered being disappointed about it at the time. Took a bit of digging to find it.

The least relaxing dining experiences we've had was because of adult only tables that didn't seem to realize there were other diners in the room.

Consideration for others is consideration for others, whether you are responsible for a child, or only responsible for yourself.

Only you know your granddaughter. Some can be very well behaved, others can scream and run around. You need to decide if she will sit quietly and not bother other guests or not. (I know everyone's granddaughter is a special princess who can do no wrong but try to be honest in your evaluation).

Since you have six paying guests, I suspect that the maitre d' might allow her to join you at dinner....probably without charge...but it's between you and the maitre d'. Remember, you are putting his job on the line...because he will be breaking the rules. If your granddaughter starts to make a fuss/etc....you should be ready to exit instantly with her. The other guests will not think she's cute and it's highly likely they would say something to the maitre d's boss.

Personally, I think it's very high risk...but as I said, you know your granddaughter and there are some that would be fine at a dinner like this....very few, but some.

Your safe bet is to hire a sitter for the evening.

There is no private area in Qsine or Tuscan Grill. If you really want to do this, I'd suggest Murano and ask to eat in the wine cellar which is a private area, although there is no door to the main dining room.

Very, very well said.

I think you should eat anywhere the birthday boy wants to. It's his birthday and not anyone else's. Besides he only gets to be 80 once. Others can eat where they want to when it's their birthday.

Hank

Well said. It really spoils it for others. I vote for the sitter

The thing is we only get to see the granddaughter a couple of times a year so getting her a sitter for this special occasion is not appealing.

Nor does the buffet appeal.

Checking out the wine room option seems like the best idea for now.

Maybe Tuscan will be open for lunch and we can try something that day.

I guess we will play it by ear and see how things go.

Thanks for the valid concerns

Carol

Hi,

Our daughter was almost 5 on our last cruise and we dined 3 times in specialty restaurants and had no problems, although she is well behaved. She loved getting dressed up and ordering from the menu.

We are very respectful of the other patrons and we book right at opening time so the restaurants are quiet at 6pm. I do believe it's up to the parent to know how their own child will do in this type of setting. Nobody appreciates a noisy kid!

The pricing is free under 5 years and $10 for a child over 5.

Enjoy!

The USS UNITED STATES (Infinity's version of Murano) is no longer on

the ship and so there is no longer a "wine room"....the restaurant was

converted to Tuscan Grille.

I know the restaurant was converted but I thought I saw pictures after the conversion and the wine room is still there as a separate private dining room. With some of the special dinners such as the Chef's Table, Chef's Market Discovery, etc I think they would have left the room intact but maybe they no longer call it a wine room.

I agree with most of the others. If she is well behaved then why not let her dine with you. I have had the experience of sitting next to loud talking (yelling at each other across the table) adults who were way worse than a child. At least they were supposed to know better. If she is rambunctious and it would be difficult to get her to behave then I'd reconsider.

I agree with most of the others. If she is well behaved then why not let her dine with you. I have had the experience of sitting next to loud talking (yelling at each other across the table) adults who were way worse than a child. At least they were supposed to know better. If she is rambunctious and it would be difficult to get her to behave then I'd reconsider.

Agree, sometimes children are better behaved than some adults;)

I know the restaurant was converted but I thought I saw pictures after the conversion and the wine room is still there as a separate private dining room. With some of the special dinners such as the Chef's Table, Chef's Market Discovery, etc I think they would have left the room intact but maybe they no longer call it a wine room.

You are probably correct. I should not have assumed they took a away

that room. I should know better than assuming:eek:

The thing is we only get to see the granddaughter a couple of times a year so getting her a sitter for this special occasion is not appealing.

Nor does the buffet appeal.

Checking out the wine room option seems like the best idea for now.

Maybe Tuscan will be open for lunch and we can try something that day.

I guess we will play it by ear and see how things go.

Thanks for the valid concerns

Carol

My husband has one granddaughter (we have no other grandchildren) and she is absolutely the apple of his eye. A milestone birthday celebrated with the family would not be complete without her and would be no joy for him.

Our DGD is nine years old and has just completed her fifth cruise (her first cruise was on the Solstice in the Eastern Med at four years of age). We have taken her to a specialty restaurant on every cruise. She loves to dress up for dinner and knows that dining in a nice restaurant is a special event and that appropriate behaviour is expected. She has always had excellent manners and knows to use her indoor voice. As an only child, she is used to the company of adults and has always been included in all our family celebrations.

We are very aware that others are also in the restaurant for a special evening, and we always have a back-up plan in case she starts to become tired. One of the adults is always prepared to remove her immediately if she starts to show any signs of fatique, but that plan has never been needed at any restaurant, whether at sea or ashore. You would never know that she was in the restaurant if you didn't see her walk in.

Carol, if concern for the dining experience of others is forefront in your mind, then you, along with her parents, will be the best judges of what is appropriate for your husband's birthday celebration. If the restaurant permits your DGD to be included, and you are confident that she will enjoy the experience as well, then I would say, by all means include her in this special evening. Have a back-up plan in place in case she starts to tire, and that will give you, and her parents, a level of security with respect to the comfort of other diners. If including her is something that you think is appropriate, then I am sure her presence will add so much to the enjoyment of your husband's special birthday celebration.

i-jtJCHw6-M.jpg

My husband has one granddaughter (we have no other grandchildren) and she is absolutely the apple of his eye. A milestone birthday celebrated with the family would not be complete without her and would be no joy for him.

Our DGD is nine years old and has just completed her fifth cruise (her first cruise was on the Solstice in the Eastern Med at four years of age). We have taken her to a specialty restaurant on every cruise. She loves to dress up for dinner and knows that dining in a nice restaurant is a special event and that appropriate behaviour is expected. She has always had excellent manners and knows to use her indoor voice. As an only child, she is used to the company of adults and has always been included in all our family celebrations.

We are very aware that others are also in the restaurant for a special evening, and we always have a back-up plan in case she starts to become tired. One of the adults is always prepared to remove her immediately if she starts to show any signs of fatique, but that plan has never been needed at any restaurant, whether at sea or ashore. You would never know that she was in the restaurant if you didn't see her walk in.

Carol, if concern for the dining experience of others is forefront in your mind, then you, along with her parents, will be the best judges of what is appropriate for your husband's birthday celebration. If the restaurant permits your DGD to be included, and you are confident that she will enjoy the experience as well, then I would say, by all means include her in this special evening. Have a back-up plan in place in case she starts to tire, and that will give you, and her parents, a level of security with respect to the comfort of other diners. If including her is something that you think is appropriate, then I am sure her presence will add so much to the enjoyment of your husband's special birthday celebration.

i-jtJCHw6-M.jpg

Great post and beautiful picture:)