Silly question about bringing magnetic clips...

I haven't brought any before, but having found a LOT at school I'm pondering bringing them along on my upcoming cruise.

My question for those who fly is: do you put them in your carry-on or checked bags? And is there ever a problem with them?

(Warned you it was silly...)

Not only are the cabin walls metal, so are the ceilings. In addition to magnetic clips and mirrors, I always pack a heavy duty wreath magnet into my carry on bag (because it is heavy and I don't want the weight in my checked luggage). I then stick it on the ceiling of the cabin and hang a dollar store plastic hanging apparatus from it. All of our hats, and various other items then hang in an otherwise unused corner of the cabin.

• 11 months later...

Do you know if the walls and ceilings in the rooms on the Anthem are magnetic? I've heard that some of the newer, bigger ships are made of lighter, non-magnetic metals.

We are leaving on June 3rd, and would like to be able to create a separate area for my granddaughter.

Do you know if the walls and ceilings in the rooms on the Anthem are magnetic? I've heard that some of the newer, bigger ships are made of lighter, non-magnetic metals.

We are leaving on June 3rd, and would like to be able to create a separate area for my granddaughter.

Yes, the walls and ceilings are metal on the new ships and magnets will stick to them.

I used these for the first time last month on a 17 day Norwegian cruise.

I can't tell you how handy they were! I won't ever cruise without them again!

Your question is not silly. I also wonder where to pack them, just for the reason that I am not sure the checked luggage might get opened because they may look like something suspicious...! However I did pack them in the checked luggage and had no problem.

Not only are the cabin walls metal, so are the ceilings. In addition to magnetic clips and mirrors, I always pack a heavy duty wreath magnet into my carry on bag (because it is heavy and I don't want the weight in my checked luggage). I then stick it on the ceiling of the cabin and hang a dollar store plastic hanging apparatus from it. All of our hats, and various other items then hang in an otherwise unused corner of the cabin.

Actually, what are wreath magnets?

Not trying to be rude or confrontational, I'm just clarifying. Technically, no, the walls and ceilings are not magnetic. They are made of metal so magnets will stick to them but metallic items will not stick to them. Eventually someone is going to come on here and say "you told me the walls and ceiling were magnetic so I brought my (insert device name here) and it wouldn't stick to the wall"

Not trying to be rude or confrontational, I'm just clarifying. Technically, no, the walls and ceilings are not magnetic. They are made of metal so magnets will stick to them but metallic items will not stick to them. Eventually someone is going to come on here and say "you told me the walls and ceiling were magnetic so I brought my (insert device name here) and it wouldn't stick to the wall"

Hmmm, but in theory, you should be able to run your magnets up and down the walls quickly and make it magnetic right? :evilsmile:

• 2 years later...

I just started cruising a few years ago, wish I had thought of magnets sooner! Planned to bring some on my next cruise in 2 weeks. . . received my amazon order this morning, and the package was marked that it could not be shipped via air. They are Neodymium magnets, so I'm guessing that matters? Can someone confirm that I can fly with these in either checked bag or carry-on? 

1 hour ago, MishaJ said:

I just started cruising a few years ago, wish I had thought of magnets sooner! Planned to bring some on my next cruise in 2 weeks. . . received my amazon order this morning, and the package was marked that it could not be shipped via air. They are Neodymium magnets, so I'm guessing that matters? Can someone confirm that I can fly with these in either checked bag or carry-on? 

There's no problem at all flying with the magnets.  I did it half a dozen times last year alone.

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

If you buy heavy duty magnets, careful when opening the package.

DH somehow got them stuck together and no power on earth (at least on our 27 day cruise) could separate them. 

FYI, unless you're planning on hanging a hammock from your magnets, there's no need for such a heavy duty item.  

Just one single magnet will hold a large wet bathing suit and a wooden hanger with no problem. 

1 minute ago, brillohead said:

FYI, unless you're planning on hanging a hammock from your magnets, there's no need for such a heavy duty item.  

Just one single magnet will hold a large wet bathing suit and a wooden hanger with no problem. 

I have the same ones. Yes they will hold a lot on the ceiling. However they tend to slide on the wall.

49 minutes ago, brillohead said:

DH didn’t want to use washers. He’s a thrifty Scot. He planned ahead for a long cruise. 

He bought camping clotheslines and detergent packets. Strung clotheslines wall to wall overnight to hang a weeks worth of T-shirts and Underoos. 

He thought he needed strong magnets told hold all that. 

Luckily we had weaker ones that worked. 

Looked like a tenement on wash day, but he had clean clothes!

Heavy duty magnets have many uses.  We hang our snorkel gear from one.  My camera bag (with camera inside) goes on another.  I can also hang jackets (when on cool weather cruises), backpacks, and even string a clothesline between two of them. I now have seven heavy duty magnets and I am sure I will find a way to use them all!