Credit Card overcharged....Dispute it?

So on June 6th my TA processed my final payment for my upcoming August cruise. Problem is that RCCL charged my CC $100 more than what they were suppose to - and what the receipt sent to my TA shows. I immediately contacted my TA to tell her the mistake and she let RCCL know. They found the mistake and said they would correct it. But here I sit on June 24th and still no refund on my CC!

I have tried to talk to RCCL about this but because I booked through a TA they won't talk to me (which for a CC overcharge does not make any sense). My TA says she has contacted them continuously and they say it is "being processed". So she finally admit to me on June 20th that what they really have said is "it has been sent to revenue for processing". She says on June 20th she got them to manually process it and she tells me "it has been processed". Well, processed or not, the refund has not hit my CC.

My question is has anyone disputed part of a charge RCCL has made on your card? I am nervous about filing a dispute as I don't want this to somehow trigger them thinking I have not made final payment on my cruise! But my bill is due...

I feel like I am between a rock and hard place on this one. I certainly do not want to "donate" $100 to RCCL. Any ideas?

BTW - I am not really a complainer - I roll with the punches. But when it comes to actual money...well...

So on June 6th my TA processed my final payment for my upcoming August cruise. Problem is that RCCL charged my CC $100 more than what they were suppose to - and what the receipt sent to my TA shows. I immediately contacted my TA to tell her the mistake and she let RCCL know. They found the mistake and said they would correct it. But here I sit on June 24th and still no refund on my CC!

I have tried to talk to RCCL about this but because I booked through a TA they won't talk to me (which for a CC overcharge does not make any sense). My TA says she has contacted them continuously and they say it is "being processed". So she finally admit to me on June 20th that what they really have said is "it has been sent to revenue for processing". She says on June 20th she got them to manually process it and she tells me "it has been processed". Well, processed or not, the refund has not hit my CC.

My question is has anyone disputed part of a charge RCCL has made on your card? I am nervous about filing a dispute as I don't want this to somehow trigger them thinking I have not made final payment on my cruise! But my bill is due...

I feel like I am between a rock and hard place on this one. I certainly do not want to "donate" $100 to RCCL. Any ideas?

BTW - I am not really a complainer - I roll with the punches. But when it comes to actual money...well...

You are going to hate this advice, but............

Be patient for another week. I assume that you check your credit card on line? Frequently? ;)

If you dispute the charge, you will never be able to use that credit card with Royal Caribbean again. That's just the way that they do business.

If that doesn't matter to you, then go ahead.

I would be livid if I were you.

You are going to hate this advice, but............

Be patient for another week. I assume that you check your credit card on line? Frequently? ;)

If you dispute the charge, you will never be able to use that credit card with Royal Caribbean again. That's just the way that they do business.

If that doesn't matter to you, then go ahead.

I would be livid if I were you.

Interesting about RCCL never letting me use that CC with them again. This was their mistake. It is not like I put a deposit down and canceled a cruise (I can understand that taking longer). But, thank you for sharing this. I will give them one more week...

I am not livid - just frustrated!

Interesting about RCCL never letting me use that CC with them again. This was their mistake. It is not like I put a deposit down and canceled a cruise (I can understand that taking longer). But, thank you for sharing this. I will give them one more week...

I am not livid - just frustrated!

It happened to me, and I have heard of it happening to others.

They made a mistake. They didn't correct it. I disputed it with AMEX. Got my money back. I had to have AMEX issue me a new card number because RC banned the first one.

It wasn't that much of a hassle, but I had to figure out what they had done first!

I had no problem with a charge made by RCI for luggage to my airline when I opted for first class at the airport. It was handled quickly and easily with one call by me to RCI resolutions.

Sorry but just another reason why I prefer to handle my own bookings and not involve a 3rd party. I'm wondering why it took so long for your TA to finally tell you exactly how RCI was handling the refund (perhaps I'm misunderstanding the conversation).

RCI Resolutions (800) 205-9812

Post Cruise Customer Service (800) 256-6649

Executive Guest Advocate (866) 440-7225

You can certainly try calling one or all of these but as you've discovered they may not be willing to discuss this with you.

Also when your TA gave final payment to RCI weren't they verifying the amount that was being charged to your card at that time...:confused:

Best of luck and hope all eventually turns out well for you too.

I had no problem with a charge made by RCI for luggage to my airline when I opted for first class at the airport. It was handled quickly and easily with one call by me to RCI resolutions.

Sorry but just another reason why I prefer to handle my own bookings and not involve a 3rd party. I'm wondering why it took so long for your TA to finally tell you exactly how RCI was handling the refund (perhaps I'm misunderstanding the conversation).

RCI Resolutions (800) 205-9812

Post Cruise Customer Service (800) 256-6649

Executive Guest Advocate (866) 440-7225

You can certainly try calling one or all of these but as you've discovered they may not be willing to discuss this with you.

Also when your TA gave final payment to RCI weren't they verifying the amount that was being charged to your card at that time...:confused:

Best of luck and hope all eventually turns out well for you too.

Thank you for this - I may try RCI Resolutions. They may not help me but it is worth a try.

So the overcharge was a complete mistake. The receipt they sent and everything else was the correct amount - but the amount they actually entered as the charge was $100 too much. Someone just typed it wrong (honest mistake) but really creates a situation. Fortunately, I have the receipt showing the payment RCCL SAYS I made - and I have the actual charge on my CC statement showing the difference.

Thank you for this - I may try RCI Resolutions. They may not help me but it is worth a try.

So the overcharge was a complete mistake. The receipt they sent and everything else was the correct amount - but the amount they actually entered as the charge was $100 too much. Someone just typed it wrong (honest mistake) but really creates a situation. Fortunately, I have the receipt showing the payment RCCL SAYS I made - and I have the actual charge on my CC statement showing the difference.

I hope all works out well for you and you soon see that credit to your account without having the hassle of disputing the charge :)

Keep those numbers I gave you...they might come in handy someday ;)

If the charge isn't corrected...call your CC company, and tell them. They will take the charge off, and make RCI explain itself. No hassle to you. It will hassle RCI...but they have a department to deal with hassles! No worries!

If the charge isn't corrected...call your CC company, and tell them. They will take the charge off, and make RCI explain itself. No hassle to you. It will hassle RCI...but they have a department to deal with hassles! No worries!

Go away.

Companies, especially cruise lines can be very slow correcting errors of this sort. I would be a little more patient.

I would also suggest checking with your cc company. Many have a time limit for disputing charges. I doubt you would want that time to expire without a resolution.

I have disputed cc charges with RCI, but after a cruise. They still seem quite willing to accept my custom.

I know this was not directed at me. But what kind of comment is this? Seems unwarranted.

Oh it's warranted. :cool: I'm glad I wasn't drnking anything though

Edited by ryano

I know this was not directed at me. But what kind of comment is this? Seems unwarranted.

Surely you have been around these boards long enough, Lisa, to know that cb's comments are always either non-responsive to topic, repetitive of what has been said, or completely wrong.

Eventually, even I will snap.

:)

I agree with Merion Mom (about your situation and cb :) ). Since it was just processed last Monday, I wouldn't worry yet. Give it another few days. On Tuesday or Wed check your CC on-line (or call if you don't like banking on-line) and see if you've received the credit. If not, call your TA and ask her to check with RCL again and confirm that the refund has been entered.

Good luck!

Can a credit card even dispute partial amounts? So close to your cruise and this being final payment, I would worry about the trip being cancelled and you still being out the funds! (But, I don't often have to dispute charges, so I don't know what they can do.)

Like some other posters mentioned, I would also give it another week only because there is the possibility that it could still be "processing". If RC did put through the credit to your card it can take a cc company up to 30 days to process it on their end. Crazy, but it can happen. If you've only just checked your account online but haven't spoken to the cc company, try calling them to see if they show it "processing" on their end.

What I didn't know, but just found out by reading the other comments, was that RC can ban your credit card if you dispute a charge. Wow, good info to keep in mind . . . good luck with everything and I do hope you have a wonderful cruise despite the current hassle.

If they didn't manually process it until the 20th, I would give it more time. I just had an issue with Best Western and it was 2 weeks after they processed a credit that it finally showed up on my account online.

I have had to do this in a very similar situation and it was MUCH easier to let the credit card company do the work to get my refund.

Either way, always document your calls; e.g., the date, time, with whom you spoke, his or her title, etc. Anything you can get in writing is even better.

Edited by Bookish Angel

I have had to do this in a very similar situation and it was MUCH easier to let the credit card company do the work to get my refund.

When we've disputed things, the FIRST page on the CC dispute pages states clearly that I must do my own part in working it out with the charging party. If I haven't tried, the dispute process isn't appropriate. Since I'm not comfy lying to my CC company (which I would be doing if I clicked the button to say I'd done so when I hadn't), I backed out of the dispute and worked things out successfully.

In the past, we always got refunds from Royal in just a few days but on an upcoming Celebrity cruise, making final payment a few days early, we decided to go with Travel Guard insurance, and cancelled the insurance before the final payment date. We received the credit back yesterday to our CC, about 3 weeks afterwards and 2 calls to Celebrity. The refund was issued by Royal Caribbean. Seems like a few days may be turning into a few weeks now?

If your TA processed the payment, how have RCI overcharged you by $100? Surely the payment would have been made to your TA, who then pass the money on to RCI?

:eek: To swoopy, not the OP: If you have a TA that makes any payment due to them and then forwards the money to the cruise line, find another TA.

A reputable TA will have all the charges made by the cruise line.

There are some poor customers that found out too late that the payment was never made to the cruiseline by their TA and their cruises were cancelled or worse, the TA left town with the money.

:eek: To swoopy, not the OP: If you have a TA that makes any payment due to them and then forwards the money to the cruise line, find another TA.

A reputable TA will have all the charges made by the cruise line.

There are some poor customers that found out too late that the payment was never made to the cruiseline by their TA and their cruises were cancelled or worse, the TA left town with the money.

Maybe things are done differently in the UK ...

I've always found we pay the Travel Agent, who then forward the money on..

Maybe because we have the ABTA protection it's different .. We get financial protection by ABTA in the event the TA goes bankrupt / does a runner