My 1st time taking wine onboard

Okay, so we were on the Explorer last week out of Seattle to Alaska. We have never bothered with wine in the past, but decided to take some on the ship this time. I have read many posts about it and was aware of the RC policy, so decided to go for it this time. I don't know why I have been apprehensive in the past. Anyway, we had a total of 10 people and decided to finally take wine aboard. We went through the security scanners without anyone even mentioning it. My mother-in-law was feeling like she was breaking the rules and asked if it was allowed. The girl told her the guy wasn't sitting at the alcohol check-in table, so don't worry about it and just go on the ship. So, I am wondering what the " alcohol table" is and if this was a normal experience. I am not sure why I was so worried. Also, it was exciting to find out there is no longer a corkage fee in the dining room.

...and decided to finally take wine aboard...

I may be mis-reading your post, but taking wine on board on embarkation day is absolutely permitted and no one should say anything to you. It is supposed to be limited to 2 x 750 ml. bottles per stateroom, but that enforcement seems to be hit and miss.

Bring wine and other alcohol on board at ports is different - that is when they have the alcohol check-in table and take it from you, giving you a receipt for it and returning it to you on the last night of the cruise.

With 10 people I would think you had 3 or more cabins. You are allowed 2 bottles 750 ml per cabin. The liquor table is to ask you questions about how much you have and if necessary to confiscate any overage.

Yep, your two bottles per stateroom are allowed. Whether they are two bottles of Beringer White Zin or two bottles of Rubicon or Screaming Eagle. They will let you board the ship.

Jc

Most popular wine in America, yummy

Sorry, America's favorite White Zin

3cea73ed08da37c220e879191a28a8ce.jpg

c69df7841fb66c301eae4cf82c6a299b.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Edited by John&LaLa

If you take a bottle to the MDR and don't finish can you take it back to your room? and even if we have left overs can we take it back the next night?

I think (not 100% sure, but about 95%) that you can take it with you.

Or they will mark it. cork it, and save it for you for the following night.

I'm NOT sure at all that you can bring an opened bottle with you.

You can do whatever you want with your bottle. Bring it, don't bring it, take it in, take it out, leave it. Preferably just finish it

As LMaxwell said you can do what ever you want. You can take an opened bottle with you to and from your stateroom, leave it with the dining staff until the next night, or finish it - your choice and no corkage fee.

Most popular wine in America, yummy

Sorry, America's favorite White Zin

3cea73ed08da37c220e879191a28a8ce.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Years ago the first wine I drank was White Zin. Many of our CA wineries referred to White Zin as Kindergarten wine and the wine that pays the rent. ;):D:cool: I've graduated and now prefer a good Cabernet. Caymus is one I enjoy and is another American favorite.

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Years ago the first wine I drank was White Zin. Many of our CA wineries referred to White Zin as Kindergarten wine and the wine that pays the rent. ;):D:cool: I've graduated and now prefer a good Cabernet. Caymus is one I enjoy and is another American favorite.

Actually, we've come back to white zin. Probably because it's the only palatable wine in the lounges. I don't think they serve Caymus. ;)

Personally, I prefer Riesling on a fall day watching football. Not a fan of Cab or Chardonay. If we go with red, it's got to be Pinot. I like Morgan and Domaine Carneros. :D

Edited by John&LaLa

Actually, we've come back to white zin. Probably because it's the only palatable wine in the lounges. I don't think they serve Caymus. ;)

Personally, I prefer Riesling on a fall day watching football. Not a fan of Cab or Chardonay. If we go with red, it's got to be Pinot. I like Morgan and Domaine Carneros. :D

I don't drink any of the red wine offered in the lounges. The Sauvignon Blanc is pretty good or a Gin/Tonic. Have you tried La Crema Sonoma County Pinot? Costco Kirkland Brand has a couple of good Pinots. Either Russian River or Carneros. DH introduced me to red wine on Radiance at the Champagne Bar several years ago. We used our 2 for 1 coupon and Caymus was what we tried. We continue that tradition when we can. :)

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

I don't drink any of the red wine offered in the lounges. The Sauvignon Blanc is pretty good or a Gin/Tonic. Have you tried La Crema Sonoma County Pinot? Costco Kirkland Brand has a couple of good Pinots. Either Russian River or Carneros. DH introduced me to red wine on Radiance at the Champagne Bar several years ago. We used our 2 for 1 coupon and Caymus was what we tried. We continue that tradition when we can. :)

I stick to vodka cranberry in the lounge. God help us if they run out of limes. The white Zin is my walk away choice for dinner.

I stick to vodka cranberry in the lounge. God help us if they run out of limes. The white Zin is my walk away choice for dinner.

They ran out of Limes on or recent Jewel cruises. Lemons just don't cut it. No walk away wine for us. If they upped the quality we might. Instead we buy a wine pkg, or use one of our C&A amenity bottles and enjoy a good Cab, Pinot or Merlot.

So funny to see that picture of the Beringers! A waiter recommended it nearly 20 years ago, and I liked it so much that it became a tradition for our cruises to order a bottle in the dining room. (DH even surprised me once with a cruise reservation tied to a bottle of Beringers as a present!)

Excited to bring on 2 bottles on our last cruise. It was nice to be able to bring on a brand I really liked and drink it in our cabin while I was getting ready for dinner or another event.

Didn't encounter any extra scrutiny of my bottles -- no one even checked them.

Borrowing this suggestion from some-one else.

Cabin mate and I board separately with 2 bottles each.

2 bottles each in the luggage, which will go to naughty room.:D

Collect luggage separately.

We have never taken drinks from the CL or DL to MDR.

We buy the wine we like, and have our C&A entitlement. Yes, I like the white Zin.:)

And the legal 2 bottles we bought aboard.:D

I do not condone this suggestion, and have never done it, so no flaming please.

Edited by Aussie FF