Chair hogs on Celebrity Summit on Sea Days

Nashna

When I want a chair either in sun or shade.....I will take a chair and read my book watching the "Held" chairs I want. After thirty minutes, I remove the book, sunglasses, towels, beachbags etc, call over the Celebrity staff and tell them to bring to lost and found.

When/If the people come back, they either don't confront or confront with nasty words. I always calmly tell them that Seat Saving on Celebrity is not allowed and there items were here for over thirty minutes and they were not.....If the inquire about their items I tell them Celebrity staff has them....Which they do and they find them in Lost and Found.

30 minutes is what I give to any chair I would like to sit in. Have never had a problem. Some conversations yes, but the rules are the rules.....And lots of people sadly abuse them. I wont stand for it.

Cheers! Happy Sails to all!

We are going on our first Celebrity cruise in June. We usually sail on RCCL ships. Looking at the photos, this is the first I've noticed that there are no tables and chairs under the shade. On Royal, I much preferred to sit at one of the tables that were under the shade. They had loungers under the shade but also small tables and chairs. This is where we chose to sit and would often share our table if someone was looking for a spot to sit in the shade. Almost everyone did the sharing bit. Wish they had the small tables under the shade. I think I'm going to miss that.

So, after reading this thread, I'm pretty sure that all the chair hogs out there don't realize they are chair hogs; they are simply doing what they need to do to enjoy THEIR vacation, but yeah, the rest of the people saving chairs are hogs. I don't understand why such a simple concept is so complicated. If you are in a chair, you are using the chair. If you are in the immediate vicinity (pool, restroom, getting a drink from the pool bar), fair enough. If you are anywhere else or have a chair ear marked for someone who is anywhere else, you are not using that chair. There is plenty of room for everyone to be where they want to be, there is not enough room for everyone to be where they want to be, and have a pool lounger on hold, and have a theater chair on hold, and have an atrium chair on hold, etc. If everyone would just pick up their stuff when they go to get lunch, and get a new chair when they come back, this would be a non-issue.

We've been on Radiance recently and found 2 empty chairs in a corner next to the pool bar.

We left the towels on the chairs and went swimming in the pool. When we returned, we found that our chairs have been moved into the shadow by 2 other passengers, that squeezed their chairs in the corner.

Edited by Yoshikitty

We've been on Radiance recently and found 2 empty chairs in a corner next to the pool bar.

We left the towels on the chairs and went swimming in the pool. When we returned, we found that our chairs have been moved into the shadow by 2 other passengers, that squeezed their chairs in the corner.

As a solo pool goer this is what i fear about pool time. At least when I travel with someone, we take it in turns to go in the pool so the other can let others know "yes the second chair is in use, see there she is in the pool". On my own i don't dare dip my toe in the pool for fear of my chair being swiped up by others assuming i am a chair hog.

The unthinking rude type ruin it for everyone. If it weren't for them people wouldn't assume straight up that a chair with a towel, sunnies and a book on it is being saved indefinitely, and us solo pool goers wouldn't be worrying they can't even make use of the pool!

The only ones that complain are the ones that need to be by the pool. I guess I don't understand why people need to be by the pool. There is nothing there that isn't on the deck above or other areas that have plenty of loungers. It's not like they can't hear the band :) There are always loungers available it's the people that need to be by the pool that have issues. Others don't have any problems. Where ever you sit it is just a short walk to the pool..... I can see an issue with the Solarium on cold weather cruises, just not enough chairs available.

We are from S Florida so thankfully we don't care to be by the pool because we can do that at home every day. But I do understand why some want to lay out, just don't understand the draw of being next to the pool. Noisy and crowded is all I see :)

This is why we get a balcony, that's where we spend most of our sea days. I don't want to have to mess with the whole pool area, just not worth it. And I know, that doesn't work for groups or families so we'll leave the chairs for you folks.

So I understand why a lot of people want to lay out, even in groups, just don't understand the draw of being packed in next to the pool.

enjoy

Edited by Duanerice1

As a solo pool goer this is what i fear about pool time. At least when I travel with someone, we take it in turns to go in the pool so the other can let others know "yes the second chair is in use, see there she is in the pool". On my own i don't dare dip my toe in the pool for fear of my chair being swiped up by others assuming i am a chair hog.

The unthinking rude type ruin it for everyone. If it weren't for them people wouldn't assume straight up that a chair with a towel, sunnies and a book on it is being saved indefinitely, and us solo pool goers wouldn't be worrying they can't even make use of the pool!

I don't do the pool, but when I want to use the restroom or get some food, I simply ask the person in the lounger next to me if they would let folks know that the lounger is taken.

The only ones that complain are the ones that need to be by the pool. I guess I don't understand why people need to be by the pool. There is nothing there that isn't on the deck above or other areas that have plenty of loungers. It's not like they can't hear the band :) There are always loungers available it's the people that need to be by the pool that have issues. Others don't have any problems. Where ever you sit it is just a short walk to the pool..... I can see an issue with the Solarium on cold weather cruises, just not enough chairs available.

We are from S Florida so thankfully we don't care to be by the pool because we can do that at home every day. But I do understand why some want to lay out, just don't understand the draw of being next to the pool. Noisy and crowded is all I see :)

This is why we get a balcony, that's where we spend most of our sea days. I don't want to have to mess with the whole pool area, just not worth it. And I know, that doesn't work for groups or families so we'll leave the chairs for you folks.

So I understand why a lot of people want to lay out, even in groups, just don't understand the draw of being packed in next to the pool.

enjoy

Absolutely agree. Plenty of chairs. I've never had a problem finding a chair other than pool area. Only people I can see it would affect are those who actually watch their children in the pool. And if they have to watch them at the pool, they should be in the pool with them.

enjoy

I sit near the solaroum pool so I can watch my stuff..a lounger away from where it can be watched is inviting trouble..and sloshing up a deck outside of the solarium after a swim is a pain.

At the outdoor pool we like the shade so usually no issues geting a lounger...we take turns swimming, getting a drink etc..

Chair hogs who are not using the pools or loungers are the problem..they go to breakfast etc..and expect a reserved seat

When we were in the Summit, chairs were unavailable on both decks. We didn't care about the pool, just wanted shade. The ship was horribly crowded with lots of family groups and children. The sailing was in early August and Celebrity couldn't handle all the third and forth berths that were booked. Plus, their children's program was overwhelmed and the kids took over the pools and hot tubs. We are going on Princess in March and will be paying extra to have a confirmed lounge chair in the Sanctuary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

enjoy

I like to be near the pool because there is often a live band or games being played that are fun to watch. Other than that wouldn't care at all.

The only ones that complain are the ones that need to be by the pool. I guess I don't understand why people need to be by the pool.

You live in Florida, so a pool probably doesn't matter much to you, it doesn't to me either, but I certainly understand that others might want to sit by the pool and chair hogs shouldn't take that ability away from them.

• 1 month later...
Pool chair manners. I know we all dislike the fact that people will save pool chairs. How is this monitored by the crew on Summit? We are sailing to Bermuda on the 7th of August . We love to sit in a shaded spot by the pool. What are the chances that we could find such a spot at 11:00am on a sea day? Should we ask a crew member to find us a seat? If we find a towel on a chair, should we automatically consider it "taken" or claim the spot? What about the 1/2 of a flip flop on a chair and it's mate on another? It is so frustrating to know that if everyone just waited to claim a chair when they actually needed to use it and vacated their chair when they were off to lunch or to catch an event, then everyone would be able to be accommodated. Exactly, how much cooperation can we expect from Celebrity to control the chair hogs?

OK, here's an idea; give me your honest opinion, good idea, lousy idea.

Would you pay a "fee" to have a chair reserved for you like they do at the Sandals Resorts?

Before our first Celebrity cruise we read the complaints about the 'Chair Hog' situation.

We show up around 8 AM on sea days to get a couple of good chairs and we use them for most of the day. Are we gone to be in the pool for a while? Sure. Do we grab lunch? U bet. Sometimes it's a burger we bring back. Other times it's at the Oceanview, but we're never gone for more than 30 minutes at a time, because that's what Celebrity says is the limit. Do we hold chairs for others? Nope and we don't take more than 1 chair each.

On our last trip, we had a couple of chairs in front of us that weren't used from 8 AM until noon, when the staff removed the books and towels. A while couple quickly put there stuff down and went to the pool. 5 minutes later a big guy with attitude started yelling that someone had stolen his book and his chairs and that he'd only been gone 'a few minutes'.

The poor pool attendant came right over an told him that an officer had moved his stuff because he hadn't been there for more than 30 minutes. Big guy told him that was a lie. I stupidly chimed in that he'd been gone at least since 8 AM and that an officer had removed his stuff 'a while ago'. He came over and told me that I didn't want to get involved and to shut up in no uncertain terms. Everyone else who was around knew I was in the right, but not one of them backed me up, so the bully got his chairs and book back.

Dude kept giving me the evil eye for about half an hour then came over to apologize for his behavior. The couple who went to the pool, who could hear everything that was going on grabbed a couple of new towels and found different chairs.

A few realities:

There are going to be chair hogs. It's part of cruising and you can't do anything about it.

Some folks will grab more than 1 good spot so they can rotate among the saved chairs.

It's unrealistic to expect chairs by the pool on sea days after 10 AM (Maybe even 8 AM).

Taking someone else's saved chair means you might have to deal with a real jerk, possibly fueled by alcohol, which no one wants to do, not even the staff.

On the Silhouette in December, by noon there wasn't a chair to be had. I had one lady tell me she was saving 23 seats for a large group! Should have said something, but didn't want to spend one minute of a vacation arguing with someone. I then proceeded to think about how I should have said something for the next 3 hours. :0 If you want to spend a significant amount of time on any of the decks, you have no choice but to claim your spot in the morning, I don't see another option.

On the Silhouette in December, by noon there wasn't a chair to be had. I had one lady tell me she was saving 23 seats for a large group! Should have said something, but didn't want to spend one minute of a vacation arguing with someone. I then proceeded to think about how I should have said something for the next 3 hours. :0 If you want to spend a significant amount of time on any of the decks, you have no choice but to claim your spot in the morning, I don't see another option.

You did the correct thing by not confronting/arguing with the chair hog. However pointing out the chair hog and the number of chairs being saved to a pool deck attendant is fair game!

OK, here's an idea; give me your honest opinion, good idea, lousy idea.

Would you pay a "fee" to have a chair reserved for you like they do at the Sandals Resorts?

NO...the little "huts" up on the lawn deck are available for those who want to pay for a reserved spot... Pool loungers should be open to all, one per person, no hogs...

Never had to pay for a reserved lounge at Sandals...most of the reserved ones in a small sunny area were for honeymooners...We never had an issue finding spots...sun, shade, active or quiet pools.

You did the correct thing by not confronting/arguing with the chair hog. However pointing out the chair hog and the number of chairs being saved to a pool deck attendant is fair game!

yeah coz these guys get paid a fortune ?

if you have a beef - man up and take it up wiv the peops concerned or go seek out guest relations