Paying the $15 corkage

scotty63

I have read that I can bring extra bottles of wine on board and pay the $15 corkage, but how and when do I pay the corkage? When I wish to take it to the restaurant or on boarding the ship during embarkation. If the later, is the bottle marked in some way to show payment has been made. Thanks for any information. Sailing on Emerald Princess in July

I have read that I can bring extra bottles of wine on board and pay the $15 corkage, but how and when do I pay the corkage? When I wish to take it to the restaurant or on boarding the ship during embarkation. If the later, is the bottle marked in some way to show payment has been made. Thanks for any information. Sailing on Emerald Princess in July

They apply the $15 per extra bottle when you board.

Looks like you are boarding at Southampton? If so I have NEVER seen anyone checking for extra bottles or taking corkage fee at the terminal.

All screening is done by port security and they have no interest at all what you are taking on, except of course knives or other dangerous items.

Looks like you are boarding at Southampton? If so I have NEVER seen anyone checking for extra bottles or taking corkage fee at the terminal.

All screening is done by port security and they have no interest at all what you are taking on, except of course knives or other dangerous items.

If they don't check when you board, you'll be charged the fee in the dining room when you take the bottle to dinner (if the waiter notices). If you keep the bottle in your cabin and carry a glass of wine with you, no one will know whether you paid or not.

So far we've never paid a corkage fee and usually bring 4 bottles on board. We know better than to take the bottle to the MDR. We also purchase the wine package a get a bottle in the MDR at dinner.

Edited by elliair

Thanks for all the information. It was very helpful

I've also been able to bring wine onboard from ports which is subject to being charged the $15 corkage fee.

I never attempt to conceal wine but haven't been charged a fee...although I drink most of our wine in the dining room so when corkage isn't charged sooner then it's charged later at dinner.

I've also been able to bring wine onboard from ports which is subject to being charged the $15 corkage fee.

I never attempt to conceal wine but haven't been charged a fee...although I drink most of our wine in the dining room so when corkage isn't charged sooner then it's charged later at dinner.

I agree, best to be prepared and not assume that it is not charged. ;)

Quick question as this will be my first Princess cruise. On our last cruise (NCL) we paid the $15 per bottle at the port, but we didn't drink one of the bottles we brought and we were able to get the $15 refunded (just brought it to a specific bar, they put my name on it and held it until the last night and they credited my account the $15). Does Princess also do that?

Quick question as this will be my first Princess cruise. On our last cruise (NCL) we paid the $15 per bottle at the port, but we didn't drink one of the bottles we brought and we were able to get the $15 refunded (just brought it to a specific bar, they put my name on it and held it until the last night and they credited my account the $15). Does Princess also do that?

I never thought to do that. One time I brought 4 bottles on in FLL. Paid the corkage for 2 bottle but only drank 2 and carried off 2. Never thought to ask for the corkage back. But then again it probably wouldn't be worth it to stand in line at the purser's desk on the morning of disembarkation. Time is worth more than money and life is short.

You can walk into the main dining room with a drink in your hand every night and you will never get charged.

long cruiser

That violates the Princess rules for wine which states that the one 750ml bottle per adult passenger per cruise not charged a fee is to be consumed in our cabins.

I'm thankful that Princess allows us to bring as many additional bottles of wine as we desire & to pay the $15/bottle fee to enjoy anywhere on the ship.

I carried six bottles on my last Holland cruise. There wasn't anyone at security to charge the corkage. They took my name, room number, and number of bottles and said someone would bring us the stickers and that we would be charged. I went to guest services on the second day and asked about my stickers. They sent someone to the room to put the stickers on the bottles. Was never charged.

No.

Having done this several times I can safely say 'it depends'. It depends on the embarkation port and even on the day. We had a friend walk on the ship in Houston with six bottles openly displayed and no one said a word. We were stopped by security in Houston with bottles in our carry on and were asked to go to the table to be charged corkage, which we had fully expected to pay. If you are not charged corkage at the time you board, you will most likely be charged corkage if you take a bottle to the dining room. However, we've had the rare occasion of not being charged when we boarded and the waiter failed to charge as well. Bottom line, if you bring additional bottles you need to be prepared to be charged. We enjoy our wine and it's worth it to us to be able to enjoy better wines for a better price point even after the $15 corkage.

We would only get charged on Princess if they opened the bottle at the restaurant/dining room. They would ask for our cruise card. Otherwise you can probably pour your drink in your room and walk around with it, as another poster mentioned.

During our last several cruises we were directed to go over to a table and pay the $15 corkage for our bottles in excess of one each.

They should use a Seawitch stamp on them to designate you paid the corkage which avoids the possibility of being asked to pay in the dining areas.

But lately this stamp has been lost or not available at the check-in desk.

So make sure they write something on the bottle as an indication and also take your receipt to the dining venues as proof of payment if the more obvious Seawitch stamp is not available