Which is better, Royal Caribbean or Carnival?

ryan8564

My wife and I are looking at going on a cruise in August and we are debating leaving New Orleans on Carnival (Dream), Galveston on Liberty of the seas (Royal Caribbean), or Galveston on Freedom(Carnival)

Just curious if you can offer your opinions, we have been on NCL several times.

Thank you for feedback

My wife and I are looking at going on a cruise in August and we are debating leaving New Orleans on Carnival (Dream), Galveston on Liberty of the seas (Royal Caribbean), or Galveston on Freedom(Carnival)

Thank you for feedback

We have cruised on many cruise lines .We cruised on Carnival once and did not like it. We have been on RCI 6 times and will be on a RCI cruise in November.

Actually, they are more similar than different. Carnival's standard cabins are the largest....NCL's suite perks are the best...and RCI has better ship layouts. Assuming ports are the same....pick by price for the best cabin !

I cannot tell you anything about Carnival because I have never been on their ships, but what I like about Royal Caribbean is there is something for everyone. We like the food, both in the Windjammer buffet and the main dining areas.There are generally other smaller food venues, soft serve ice cream on the pool deck, specialty dining if you want to try something a little more special. 99% of the staff try really hard. There is great live music in multiple venues, fun production shows and great guest performers. We like the pools, always find a lounger on the deck above the pools. We can always find a quiet area just to watch the sea go by. There are also games, trivia, art auctions, night clubs, some ships have ice rinks. I have sailed out of Galveston once and it was an okay port, but what I really lived was sailing with a lot if Texans. They were fun loving and just downright nice people.

Thank you

Liberty's photos and amenities seem to be a step up from the Dream

I have just heard several bad things about Carnival and just makes us nervous to book a cruise with them.

We enjoyed all of our previous cruises with NCL.

We have sailed on the Freedom of the Seas, which is the sister ship to the Liberty, seven times now and I believe you will love it

Make sure you go to the Ice Show and see the Character Parade and attend the Dance Party on the Promanade.....just to name a few fun things.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

I've sailed both lines.

Just like car manufacturers, you'll find something you like about each and something you don't like about each.

Ford Explorer vs. Nissan Pathfinder.

More alike than different.

Carnival = lower price, more of a "Fun" atmosphere, larger cabin space in general. Food options and quality about the same.

Royal = step up on clientele on socio economic group ( however, the clientele will let you know this. First question has always been what do you do for a living?) more glitz, flow rider,rock climbing g wall, ice rink

Each will get you to destination and return to port

I sail on both lines and have more fun on Carnival. Same people on both.

Food IMHO better on Carnival. Brunch on Sea days free, afternoon tea on sea days free. Guy's burgers free.

Free drinks on Royal from 4.30 to 8pm daily for Diamonds. Great loyalty perk.

I don't go to the shows on either line but love the Comedy club on Carnival.

Edited by maryann2

Just curious, how do you know they will love it?

I always wonder the same thing any time someone says, "you will love it", whether it's a cabin, deck, food, port, ship, etc.

Well.....The OP is only interested in Liberty and a couple Carnival ships, which indicates that's the sort of cruise they are looking for. Furthermore, the OP said they have been on NCL several times. There was no mention of Azamara, Crystal or any of the other more luxury lines that sail out of the area. I've also cruised NCL several times and I have cruised Liberty, so I find it likely they will love it.

Good enough explanation for you?

Well.....The OP is only interested in Liberty and a couple Carnival ships, which indicates that's the sort of cruise they are looking for. Furthermore, the OP said they have been on NCL several times. There was no mention of Azamara, Crystal or any of the other more luxury lines that sail out of the area. I've also cruised NCL several times and I have cruised Liberty, so I find it likely they will love it.

Listen to Paul, he knows!

Thank you for feedback

I have actually cruised on all 3 of those ships - Liberty 5 times, Carnival Freedom twice and Dream once. I will say with confidence that Liberty of the Seas is the best choice and that you will love that ship, and I don't care what the internet police have to say about that statement.

First, Dream. There's a reason I've only cruised it once. It is one of the most crowded ships I've ever sailed. Dream and Liberty of the Seas carry the same amount of passengers, but Dream is significantly smaller than Liberty. The Lido deck is ridiculously small. Forget any pool time unless you enjoy being sandwiched between strangers and unable to move.

Second, Freedom. I actually like Carnival Freedom more than the newer Dream but like the vast majority of Carnival ships, it's ugly. It was designed by Joe Farcus whose style looks like a psychedelic unicorn threw up all over the interior. Freedom is also a crowded ship, just like all Carnival ships.

Now Liberty. Liberty of the Seas, by far, has the best entertainment off all those choices. The main show attraction is Saturday Night Fever, which is 90 minutes and every bit as good as if you saw it on Broadway. Then there's Studio B (ice rink). The ice shows are phenomenal. The Carnival ships have nothing that compare to the ice shows or Saturday Night Fever.

Liberty is also a much nicer ship. The cabins aren't the ugly mauves and naugahydes Carnival likes to use. The ship is amazing and they recently added really good waterslides in addition to the already existing Flowrider.

Lastly, RCI is just a better overall cruise line than Carnival.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

Well..... I've also cruised NCL several times and I have cruised Liberty, so I find it likely they will love it.

Don't get upset, I was just curious because you said "Good. Definitely good. Go with Liberty. You'll love it" Now you say that it is "likely" that they will love it. My point was that none of us can tell someone else what they will love.:)

Royal is a much better cruise but this all about what the person cruising wants and expects from the experience. Carnival is cheaper, a large party atmosphere, busy bars and night clubs. I cruise to enjoy my time without a lot of young kids or a large drinking crowd. My choices are Celebrity, Princess, RCCL, NCL, and Carnival. I have sailed them all. Cruising is very subjective, you can read reviews and take them with a grain of salt, again what the cruiser wanted and expected. It is what you want out of your cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've already gotten a lot of replies, but I'll add mine to the fray.

Although there are more similarities than differences between Carnival & RC,

overall RC is better. It is a bit more sophisticated and less booze cruise than Carnival. However, it depends what you are looking for. RC's ships are much more innovative, more spectacular, and as RC itself says, more WOW! I don't think that there is anything in particular that Carnival does better except, perhaps, for the production shows. Carnival is among the best on that. Also, staterooms tend to be a bit larger on Carnival in comparable categories. If you are looking for activities galore, the newer and larger RC ships have much more to offer. RC has been so successful as of late that they have become pricier than Carnival. That may be an important consideration for you.

Enjoy!

Cruisethirsty.

Guest maddycat
I've sailed both lines.

Just like car manufacturers, you'll find something you like about each and something you don't like about each.

Ford Explorer vs. Nissan Pathfinder.

More alike than different.

Carnival = lower price, more of a "Fun" atmosphere, larger cabin space in general. Food options and quality about the same.

Royal = step up on clientele on socio economic group ( however, the clientele will let you know this. First question has always been what do you do for a living?) more glitz, flow rider,rock climbing g wall, ice rink

Each will get you to destination and return to port

We've been on over 20 RCI cruises and not once have we been asked what we do for a living.