Coupon Books on HAL: Time for a different approach?

OBX-Cruisers

I have been researching possible HAL cruises for December/January for this year and see that HAL still lists their "coupon book" as a perk for cruises. With all of the real perks like "free" (yes I know nothing is free but it sounds good doesn't it?) amenities/OBCs/internet time/drink packages on other lines, the coupon books are becoming pretty laughable jokes for over 98% of the pages in these environmentally unfriendly booklets.

Although the descriptions say you can save hundreds and hundreds of dollars with these coupons, we have been on many HAL ships and find we only use 2 or 3 or the coupons on laundry/a few BOGO items and then throw the "valuable" coupons in the trash since the items would cost so much even with a coupon.

With all of HAL's attempts to make their cruises more environmentally friendly, perhaps its time to admit that these coupon books actually provide little value to most cruisers and are (actually) a way to increase income (but that is supposed to be a secret so maybe not) by enticing people to pay for items they might not otherwise procure.

So the question is:

Would cruisers prefer to junk the coupons and reduce printing/distribution/disposal costs for these booklets to enhance HAL Green........and instead get a reasonable OBC on their account that could be used for any and all of the same types of onboard items?

Sounds like it might be a money saver for HAL and a win/win for cruisers that would cover items not in the booklets (e.g., shore excursions, dining venues, drinks etc.). But the problem here might be that HAL also realizes the booklets are not used and an OBC would be.

Details, details, details.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

Would cruisers prefer to junk the coupons and reduce printing/distribution/disposal costs ...
It seems that when we've gotten them many of the coupons are expired (but maybe they take them anyway?) so maybe they are just using up an old stockpile.

I've never even seen a coupon book ... Are they only available to certain people ?
Out of 18 HAL cruises we've only gotten 2 or 3 ... and I have no idea how they decide who gets them! The first time we got one I thought it came from our TA, but he said no. ;)

Edited by jtl513

We have only gotten them a couple of times and cannot remember when and why.

We have used a couple of the coupons, but most of them do not work for us. Some of them are decent, but cannot be used with Mariner Discounts, so are worthless to us.

So the question is:

Would cruisers prefer to junk the coupons and reduce printing/distribution/disposal costs for these booklets to enhance HAL Green........and instead get a reasonable OBC on their account that could be used for any and all of the same types of onboard items?

Sounds like it might be a money saver for HAL and a win/win for cruisers that would cover items not in the booklets (e.g., shore excursions, dining venues, drinks etc.). But the problem here might be that HAL also realizes the booklets are not used and an OBC would be.

I think you may want to revisit that logic. The booklet is probably costing HAL pennies to print and any sales it generates is additional revenue for the company. What would the OBC be if it were equal to the cost of printing the booklet??? 41 cents???

I think you may want to revisit that logic. The booklet is probably costing HAL pennies to print and any sales it generates is additional revenue for the company. What would the OBC be if it were equal to the cost of printing the booklet??? 41 cents???

I agree with this thinking. It seems to me that if the cost of producing the booklets wasn't generating more impulse purchasing to exceed the cost, the brains in Seattle would have figured that out.

I've used a few of the coupons over the years, but have tossed most of them.

They are not a worthwhile gift.

We've never received a coupon booklet. I wonder how many they really give away. Guess we spend enough money onboard without needing the extra incentive.

I can't imagine it would cost them much for printing.

I have been researching possible HAL cruises for December/January for this year and see that HAL still lists their "coupon book" as a perk for cruises. With all of the real perks like "free" (yes I know nothing is free but it sounds good doesn't it?) amenities/OBCs/internet time/drink packages on other lines, the coupon books are becoming pretty laughable jokes for over 98% of the pages in these environmentally unfriendly booklets.

Although the descriptions say you can save hundreds and hundreds of dollars with these coupons, we have been on many HAL ships and find we only use 2 or 3 or the coupons on laundry/a few BOGO items and then throw the "valuable" coupons in the trash since the items would cost so much even with a coupon.

With all of HAL's attempts to make their cruises more environmentally friendly, perhaps its time to admit that these coupon books actually provide little value to most cruisers and are (actually) a way to increase income (but that is supposed to be a secret so maybe not) by enticing people to pay for items they might not otherwise procure.

So the question is:

Are these coupons coming from HAL or your TA?

If HAL were to continue the coupons books, I would vote for an OBC instead.

However, I doubt if HAL would go this route, because the aim of the coupon books has been, from what I can remember of them, is to sell something where the pax ends up paying much of the cost (coupon book provides a really small discount). The OP has noted this.

With OBC you could actually get something FREE!! Yikes. That wouldn't work for HAL.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I agree with this thinking. It seems to me that if the cost of producing the booklets wasn't generating more impulse purchasing to exceed the cost, the brains in Seattle would have figured that out.

I've used a few of the coupons over the years, but have tossed most of them.

They are not a worthwhile gift.

Agreed, the purpose of the coupons is to entice you to spend money you might not have spent otherwise.

They are often hidden among the booklets on the desk.

I like RCI that loads the coupons onto your card. You then get 1 letter of you coupons you have.

Works for me.

Agreed. RCI does it best. All the coupons are loaded on to your card so there's no need to carry around paper coupons like on HAL.

So the question is:

HAL provides coupons because they work. Grocery stores and others have learned that they sell more of Product A by offering a $.50 coupon and pricing it at $2.00 than they do by pricing Product A at $1.50 with no coupon. Final cost is $1.50 either way, but they move more product with the coupon, and those without coupons pay the inflated $2.00 price.

I figure the coupon books are worth what Holland America would offer you in lieu of the coupon book - nothing. Holland America is only green when it helps their bottom line, we have all seen the reams and reams of paper they distribute onboard. I guess I did see smaller printed menus, but I expect those to go full size when they add ads for gold by the inch and spa treatments.

RCI does it best. All the coupons are loaded on to your card so there's no need to carry around paper coupons like on HAL.

Won't a value added to the card expire at the end of the cruise, though?

Paper coupons with no expiration date can be brought back on the next cruise and used then. I have a small stack of coupons just waiting for next time. :D

Won't a value added to the card expire at the end of the cruise, though?

Paper coupons with no expiration date can be brought back on the next cruise and used then. I have a small stack of coupons just waiting for next time. :D

Good point. Plus, I have been known to pass the coupons I do not use around at a Meet & Greet and a number of people were able to use them.

Plus, I have been known to pass the coupons I do not use around at a Meet & Greet and a number of people were able to use them.

Another excellent idea. Generous. A coupon exchange could even be set up as a M&G event! :D

I'll take the one for a discount on flowers.

We received one once and if I remember correctly there was some kind of spa coupon that was good for one visit that we took advantage of. "Looking forward" to seeing what's in the one we've been promised on next month's sailing :rolleyes:

Edited by Queen of DaNile
correction