Overpriced Celebrity fares make me change cruiseline, regrettably!

Tangocherie

Did you see how they try to "sell" it? Apparently guests bringing liquids on board is now a security risk, similar to when you board an airplane.......

Oh no, so next all our liquids (shampoo, tan lotion, etc) will have be in small sizes. Hmmmmm ....

Oh no, so next all our liquids (shampoo, tan lotion, etc) will have be in small sizes. Hmmmmm ....

No you won't be allowed to bring any, but they will have them for purchase on board at 10 times the usual price, for your convenience. :D

We have done one TA on Celebrity Infinity in 2013 (Balcony cost about $2000 per couple for 12 day cruise) and the NCL Star in 2014 (Balcony cost about $1350 per couple for 14 day cruise).

We are booked hump balcony on the Celebrity Eclipse from Southampton to Miami a 15 day cruise cost $3200 for couple for 15 day cruise. The price for this cruise is a bit high, but the ship visits Boston, NYC and Bermuda with an overnight in NYC.

If everyone books late those late prices will then be higher. They wouldn't be able to sail the ships if everyone got those prices. Those are for what's left over. Book early to get what you want and watch the prices. The market will dictate what you finally pay.

I don't follow. It's all about supply and demand. If everyone booked early there is no need to drop prices. In fact the price would go up as the ship sells out. If you are dead set on a particular room or location then yes you should book early. However if someone is willing to sail on a different line, then my guess is that price is more important than itinerary, room location, loyalty benefits and overall experience. This type of person should wait it out before booking.

To contrary of OP, I have found the Celebrity TA's to be very low priced (underpriced? Or maybe just very good values) in the past and these cruises have been very sought after year after year. Perhaps the higher starting prices just reflect supply and demand for Transatlantic cruises, not "overpricing".

In the last few days, I have been shopping around for a Transatlantic cruise in the fall of 2017. My cruiseline of choice is Celebrity and I have elite status in the Captain's Club.

To my astonishment, the prices on these transat cruises are incredibly high. For Reflection, Oct 20/17 $4596CAN. For Eclipse, Oct 28/17, $5056CAN. For Equinox, Nov 3/17, $4510CAN. For Silhouette, Nov 4/17 $4766CAN. These prices are for 2 guests in the lowest category veranda, 2D obstructed. Keep in mind that the Go Big promo does not apply on transatlantic cruises.

To me these prices are sky high, especially considering you don't get the benefit of, for instance, an included beverage package. I think, unfortunately, Celebrity is overpriced, at least for me.

Sadly, I have resolved to book on another cruiseline. We will be sailing from Copenhagen to Miami on Oct 15/17 aboard the Norwegian Getaway. The Ultimate beverage and Specialty dining package are included. We will be in a B4 category veranda on deck 12. Price for the two of us is $3930.66CAN which includes the 18% gratuities for the beverage and dining packages.

If pricing stays this way on Celebrity and, may I add, on RCI, I can't see how I can justify staying loyal. Is it just me or do any of you feel the same way?:(

I agree that the prices are high. We did the crossing in April, we originally booked in sept 2015 7 months in advance and got a balcony for $2058 for the cabin, then upgraded to Agua two months later for an additional $40. By the time final payment had been paid we watched the prices drop to $699 per person for gty for veranda. I do not know if going east across is always cheaper than going west, but for $699 I would definitely do it.

I am currently booked for a cruise for 2018. I will watch the pricing if it does not go down, I will cancel - my deposit was only $100 pp and I get that back, so I don't mind watching - I think when promotions are offered for low deposits ie $25 pp or $100pp it is time to book something and then watch the prices - you have to play the game.

enjoy your cruise.

I am really confused as to why sailings out of Southampton are so expensive. I have been looking at 2017, 14 nights, Baltic, Med, or Canaries, Balcony cabin. I do not want to travel out of season so looking at May to September. All are priced at over £2000.

But if I decide to cruise around Asia - Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, etc. it will only cost me £1000 for the same product. Even adding flights, 2 nights in a hotel, and transfers, with Celebrity, it still works out cheaper than taking a cruise from my local port. Surely the main overheads are the same, staff costs, food, fuel etc. So what makes it so much more expensive to cruise from the UK? I have looked on US websites and the price difference is still obvious.

Is it something to do with port costs and taxes? or just pricing it high and hoping they can sell at the high price? I would love, just once, to sail from Southampton, but at these prices I will probably just continue flying to Florida and cruising the Caribbean. I know I will enjoy it anyway, but I would love to cruise without the flights there and back.

I don't follow. It's all about supply and demand. If everyone booked early there is no need to drop prices. In fact the price would go up as the ship sells out. If you are dead set on a particular room or location then yes you should book early. However if someone is willing to sail on a different line, then my guess is that price is more important than itinerary, room location, loyalty benefits and overall experience. This type of person should wait it out before booking.

No I guess you didn't understand. I was replying to someone who is encouraging everyone to book late. It only works because not everyone does the same thing. That's how a free market works.

Edited by Ma Bell

I am really confused as to why sailings out of Southampton are so expensive. I have been looking at 2017, 14 nights, Baltic, Med, or Canaries, Balcony cabin. I do not want to travel out of season so looking at May to September. All are priced at over £2000.

But if I decide to cruise around Asia - Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, etc. it will only cost me £1000 for the same product. Even adding flights, 2 nights in a hotel, and transfers, with Celebrity, it still works out cheaper than taking a cruise from my local port. Surely the main overheads are the same, staff costs, food, fuel etc. So what makes it so much more expensive to cruise from the UK? I have looked on US websites and the price difference is still obvious.

Is it something to do with port costs and taxes? or just pricing it high and hoping they can sell at the high price? I would love, just once, to sail from Southampton, but at these prices I will probably just continue flying to Florida and cruising the Caribbean. I know I will enjoy it anyway, but I would love to cruise without the flights there and back.

Again I think it does just come down to supply and demand. The Baltic, Western Med, Ffiords and Canary cruises are all popular with UK citizens, Europeans and US citizens wanting to combine a UK tour with a cruise. We are experiencing our first cruise ever from Southampton this year! We have not been avoiding it, there have just been so many exciting places to visit.

I would strongly suggest you do look further than the Caribbean for your cruises...for relatively little more and a totally different cultural experience try out an Asian cruise. We are back in Asia on the Millie next year, can't wait!

I am elite also on X, not entirely happy with them either, but just to share a story. My son and his family tried NCL, lately, and part way through my 9 year old grandaughter said-no prompting-" I think we are a Royal Caribbean Family" They seem to have a lot of charges for a lot of things on board and in the dining rooms. Was really impressed with Princess in Jan., going to try them on a TA in April again. Celebrity is losing their focus, becoming just another Royal product for more money.

If you really want to save money, don't book the TA until 1-2 months out from the sail date. That's when the prices usually get REALLY good on most of the cruise lines.

Just remember that the NCL ships passenger to space ratio is really low. They cram a lot of passengers on those huge ships and then you're in lines for everything. Maybe just try to always be in the most popular places at the most UNpopular times and it won't be so bad.

I think one of the reasons for the high cost of cruising out of Southampton might be because of the very many people who do not want to fly.

There aren't that many cruises to choose from if you aren't prepared to get on a plane and so you are somewhat held to ransom.

Edited by CABINET

Again I think it does just come down to supply and demand. The Baltic, Western Med, Ffiords and Canary cruises are all popular with UK citizens, Europeans and US citizens wanting to combine a UK tour with a cruise. We are experiencing our first cruise ever from Southampton this year! We have not been avoiding it, there have just been so many exciting places to visit.

I would strongly suggest you do look further than the Caribbean for your cruises...for relatively little more and a totally different cultural experience try out an Asian cruise. We are back in Asia on the Millie next year, can't wait!

I am currently looking at the Asian cruises, unfortunately the dates on offer do not suit my travelling companion so I may put it off a bit longer. As well as a cultural experience they do seem really good value.

But, I would love, just once, to just pootle along the road to Southampton to board a ship and sail away. Unfortunately with the current prices, effectively paying double for the same on board experience, it may stay on my bucket list a bit longer.

Enjoy your cruise from Southampton :)

Just an observation on Transatlantics - when I booked one with Celebrity for 2014 I booked it when the itinerary was released and the prices were never as low thereafter. So I would say either book immediately on release or leave until after final payment date. I currently have a TA booked (with another cruise line) for this autumn and all the Oceanview and Balconies are sold / reserved and have been for a few months now. But I am sure some will become available as final payment date gets closer as cruisers from other countries are able to change their mind and cancel without financial penalty. I do find this particularly annoying when I am unable to get a cabin I want only to find it appear at the last minute :(

I am currently looking at the Asian cruises, unfortunately the dates on offer do not suit my travelling companion so I may put it off a bit longer. As well as a cultural experience they do seem really good value.

But, I would love, just once, to just pootle along the road to Southampton to board a ship and sail away. Unfortunately with the current prices, effectively paying double for the same on board experience, it may stay on my bucket list a bit longer.

Enjoy your cruise from Southampton :)

Just an observation on Transatlantics - when I booked one with Celebrity for 2014 I booked it when the itinerary was released and the prices were never as low thereafter. So I would say either book immediately on release or leave until after final payment date. I currently have a TA booked (with another cruise line) for this autumn and all the Oceanview and Balconies are sold / reserved and have been for a few months now. But I am sure some will become available as final payment date gets closer as cruisers from other countries are able to change their mind and cancel without financial penalty. I do find this particularly annoying when I am unable to get a cabin I want only to find it appear at the last minute :(

Re Southampton I would say keep looking for offers! We booked our Canary Islands cruise last year when they had the 'second person half price' deal on. As we book suites that really was a great saving. If we calculate per night we are paying less for our RS than we have on some Caribbean Cruises! In terms of last minute 'bargains' the two remaining CS are loads more than we paid for our RS! We have paid a high price for our Ffiords cruise next year, however - you win some, you loose some!

We had an email from RC today with the second person half price offer....we are hoping X will follow suit. With two cruises with a 'price match promise' it would be very good news!

Hope you can find a great cruise!

Out of curiosity, I just checked minimum verandah prices for the October 25, 2016 TA from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale, which we are on. $120 USD per person per day including port charges and taxes. An inside cabin on the same cruise is $88 USD per day!

By contrast, our first cruise was on Home Lines' Oceanic in 1976. We had an inside cabin and paid $100 a day.

Of course the food isn't as good now and the waiters have to serve more people. We don't have white gloved night stewards outside our cabin with a towel draped over their arms, nor do we have deck boys who tuck you in when sitting on the promenade or by the pool. But, the ships are beautiful, many of the shows are amazing and the cabins are certainly more comfortable. We have alternative restaurants and casual buffets. We still love cruising.

According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics CPI Inflation calculator, $100 in 1976 had the same buying power as $422 today. Considering 40 years of inflation, we can now get a Sky Suite on the Equinox ($292 per day) for less than the price of our then inside cabin on the Oceanic.

P.S. I just checked the Equinox fares for the November 3, 2017 TA. A minimum verandah is $127 USD per day.

Edited by emileg

It is my opinion that in general the costs of cruising with Celebrity have been rising considerably the last few years. Prior to recent retirement, we cruised several itineraries regularly (mostly Caribbean). The cost of a comparable cabin compared to, say, five years ago has in many cases doubled or tripled. This is at a time when inflation has been practically flat. Yes, when comparing one needs to consider 'perks' which may not have been there then. That can account for some of the difference but BY FAR not all. Do the math.

And the value of perks is relative. What I mean is, if you never would have spent that much on that perk anyway, it is not of that much value to you. For example, the 'value' of getting a drink package included is WAY more than I would normally spend on drinks as I am not that big of a drinker of alcohol, specialty coffees, etc.. So for me the 'value' of that perk is perhaps $20 a day. I couldn't care less about unlimited internet as I am on vacation to get away from it all and use the internet rarely - so that value is also minimal to me.

And it does not stop with the up-pricing. You do not get more for the higher pricing - you actually get less. Celebrity has the highest priced specialty restaurants at sea is my understanding. Things that used to be free (like Zumba classes) now have a price. Food in the MDR and service in the bars is not what it used to be. Live entertainment has been cut way back. And on and on it goes.

I have cruised on Celebrity 31 times and have three cruises booked within the next six months. But honestly, we are seriously considering other cruise lines now for the future as Celebrity is pricing us out. Everyone is different but I would rather take two or three nice cruises at a lower price, than one very nice cruise at Celebrity's high price. It saddens me, but there it is. I doubt I am alone.

Edited by phoenix_dream

Poenix Dream,

Though, as other posters have suggested, I might want to wait to book a Celebrity Transat cruise after final payment, I do agree with the gist of your post. Unfortunately, I have the impression that X is pricing itself out of our range.

Luc

Celebrity does a good cruise. If demand is high, they can increase prices. If sales drop off, the prices will adjust to reflect the demand. If you don't like the prices, you don't need to book. Book another cruise. Wait until the sailing date gets closer, cabin prices may go way up or way down. Again, supply and demand. I have waited booking and got some great deals. I also have waited too long. Cruises do sell out. How much you want to pay for a cruise is different from other cruisers. Perhaps, you may decide that cruise prices are too high for you. The Canadian dollar is very weak. There are many other cruise lines.

I have friends who have reacted to the higher prices by booking other lines. Select a cruise that fits your situation.

Celebrity does a good cruise. If demand is high, they can increase prices. If sales drop off, the prices will adjust to reflect the demand. If you don't like the prices, you don't need to book. Book another cruise. Wait until the sailing date gets closer, cabin prices may go way up or way down. Again, supply and demand. I have waited booking and got some great deals. I also have waited too long. Cruises do sell out. How much you want to pay for a cruise is different from other cruisers. Perhaps, you may decide that cruise prices are too high for you. The Canadian dollar is very weak. There are many other cruise lines.

I have friends who have reacted to the higher prices by booking other lines. Select a cruise that fits your situation.

It also depends greatly on circumstances. If you are flexible, then usually you will get the better deals on regular itineraries leaving it until after FPD. If it's a one-off special routing, then waiting (as you say) can have the complete opposite effect: no cabins left in your desired category and the prices have increased. The amount of cabins you wish to book and wanting higher occupancy rooms can also mean that waiting is not an option - it's much more difficult to get a 4 berth cabin nearer to sailing than it is obtaining a regular stateroom (occupancy levels may be at the stage when only 2 per cabin is allowed). Not everyone's circumstances are the same, as you stated above, hence some pax unfortunately have to pay higher prices irrespective of the actual line.

Poenix Dream,

Though, as other posters have suggested, I might want to wait to book a Celebrity Transat cruise after final payment, I do agree with the gist of your post. Unfortunately, I have the impression that X is pricing itself out of our range.

I too have fretted a bit about how cruise prices have changed upwards because of increasing demand. However, I also factor in how our expectations have changed when we once were happy with a nice OV cabin.....then it became a Verandah and now AQ class seems to be our preferred choice and next will likely be the Suite classes. Since we spend so little time in the cabin, I am happy to book a Verandah cabin since my wife loves to read and nap out there as I go about other more energetic things on the ship.

Planning to wait after FPD for TA itineraries can work if you are totally flexible on cabin choices because at later dates you may only be able to get cabins at the very front or at low or obstructed portions of the ship. On our October TA on the Equinox, I see that very few AQ cabins are available and the price has increased by $500pp since March while some OV and Verandah categories have gone down slightly but the location may be problematic for some. The lack of any included Perks on Celebrity TAs is troubling after we had a $500 OBC + combinable $250 shareholder (SH) credit last year on HAL and now ONLY $75 OBC on Celebrity which may cancel out eligibility for SH credit (will still apply after FPD). The policy of RCL not to allow SH credit if you get ANY perk from them is directly opposite to much more generous rules for SH with Carnival lines such as HAL and it appears they give a token so that you may not be eligible for SH credit.

For future cruisees, I plan to adopt the wait until FPD suggestions of several people on this board and probably fall back to the Verandah class as prices increase. On X we will FINALLY be Elite after our next cruise and that will be sufficient for us even without drink packages etc.

We have found another factor to consider in favor of booking early. Not only do you have a better opportunity to choose the cabin of your choice, but also airfare, award and seat selection is better. As the plane fills up, the fares go up. Occasionally, saver award seats may open up a few days before the flight, but I wouldn't count on it.

We booked the Constellation April 17 2017 Abu Dhadi to Rome 15 days , inside for $719 CAD on military rate , the Vision of Sea April3 2017 , 16 days , main difference are stops in Israel is $1589 CAD for inside

So there are somedeals out , but not on TAs

Without the Constellation doing the TAs , that is 1000 cabins they no longer need to fill , which increases the price on the 4 other TA cruises