Oceania Cruises Close to Cuba Approval

LauraS

I can see the R ships fitting in there as the Adonia already goes there but the larger ships sorry Cuba is just not ready for them

I am glad we have been to Cuba before once the ships start going it will just be another Diamonds International port :(

Havana is currently not prepared for, nor have the infrastructure and logistics for several cruise ships to docked together on any given day. If you don't do the ship tour, I'd expect to be doing a self guided walking tour. If you hit town the same day as a 3000+ Carnival ship, stay on the boat!

Havana is currently not prepared for, nor have the infrastructure and logistics for several cruise ships to docked together on any given day. If you don't do the ship tour, I'd expect to be doing a self guided walking tour. If you hit town the same day as a 3000+ Carnival ship, stay on the boat!

That being the case - as I am sure that it is - why would they schedule to have more than 1 ship in port on any given day?

It's not St. Thomas (yet) - but it may be soon enough :D

Edited by Paulchili

Any stops in Cuba will still have to follow US laws. Meaning they must be educational, religious and humanitarian trips. Traveling to Cuba solely as a tourist remains prohibited. This means like Fathom - O would have to establish these type tours and also on board educational lectures for those not disembarking.

Edited by PaulMCO

According to the article, they are hoping to start cruises late 2016 with Regatta and 2017 for Mariner (perhaps Regent) or Marina?? In any case, schedules are out thru those dates and people have booked cruises that do not stop in Cuba and the itineraries will need to be significantly changed. Have to ask how are people with current bookings going to be taken care of when their itineraries are significantly changed?? For Fathom it was a relatively simple change as the ship was already doing humanitarian cruises in the Caribbean but, none of the Oceania and possibly Regent ships are doing those types of cruises.

The Marina and Fathom are late to the game.

This company has been cruising to Cuba for a few years now with most of the clients being Canadian or European. Quite a few US citi\ens sailed as well by departing from Canada to join the cruise in Havana. The Cubans, until recently at least did not stamp passports. It used to be a Canadian company until Celestyal bought them. They now have legal options for US citizen in place for their itineraries. http://yourcubacruise.com/us-travelers

This thread was started in May/13 and there are over 3000 posts http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1850565

MSC is home-porting in Havana https://www.msccruises.com/en-gl/Plan-Book/Find-Cruise.aspx?reg=CAR

Viking Oceans http://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/caribbean-americas/central-american-shores-cuba/index.html

and Cruise & Maritime Voyages with an overnight in Havana https://us.cruiseandmaritime.com/cruise/p707/grand-cuba-central-america-caribbean-experience

There are probably more

According to the article, they are hoping to start cruises late 2016 with Regatta and 2017 for Mariner (perhaps Regent) or Marina?? In any case, schedules are out thru those dates and people have booked cruises that do not stop in Cuba and the itineraries will need to be significantly changed. Have to ask how are people with current bookings going to be taken care of when their itineraries are significantly changed?? For Fathom it was a relatively simple change as the ship was already doing humanitarian cruises in the Caribbean but, none of the Oceania and possibly Regent ships are doing those types of cruises.

Would not be surprised if the Mariner was an Oceania ship at some point.

Any stops in Cuba will still have to follow US laws. Meaning they must be educational, religious and humanitarian trips. Traveling to Cuba solely as a tourist remains prohibited. This means like Fathom - O would have to establish these type tours and also on board educational lectures for those not disembarking.

In December, my husband and I visited Cuba -- a wholly legal land trip -- by participating in a People to People mission. The difference between what we did during our trip and what a typical Oceania excursion does anywhere else in the world is minimal. The excursions can be easily tweaked to keep every US citizen on the right side of current regulations. The tour companies in Cuba are expert at offering appealing trips to US citizens already.

Here are some of the places we visited that made our 10-day stay qualify as a People to People mission:

...the largest Jewish congregation in Havana where we heard from the president of the congregation. (Donation of medical supplies to the pharmacy of the synagogue.)

... an elementary school in Havana. This was the least appealing stop because an official from the central government attended and his presence seemed to put a chill on the easy conversation we enjoyed every other place we visited. (Donation of school supplies.)

... an organic farm in an outlying section of Havana which got into trouble with the government. The govt gave the group the land to grow food intended for the neighborhood. To improve their methods, some representatives of the farm visited organic farms in the US, including Alice Waters' famous organic restaurant in Berkeley, CA. The Cubans came home enthusiastic about a restaurant and opened one to capture the business of tourist groups who came to the farm. The government made the farm shut down the restaurant. It didn't matter that the farm's productivity had not diminished because of the restaurant. It didn't matter that this second profit center was bringing more money to the government. The land was being used for a reason not originally approved and the restaurant is no more. That story alone was worth the trip to the farm.

... two artist's cooperatives. High quality art. (These places are not set up to pack your purchases safely. If you think you might want to buy art, bring an empty mailing tube in your suitcase to protect your purchases.)

In addition, we visited all the historic (recent and colonial) places and tourist (rum and cigar factories) places anyone of any nationality would be interested in visiting. The only thing we weren't allowed to do was to laze on the beach. At the speed with which things are changing in US/Cuban relations, cruisers might even be allowed to have a beach day in the near future. (You wouldn't want to do that during your stay in Havana. The beaches near the city aren't the best.)

A cruise ship seems like the ideal way to visit Cuba for the moment. First of all, if the cruise ships will be using the historic port, ships will dock at right in the heart of Old Town, one of the prime draws for visitors. In addition, the hotels in Havana and some of the smaller towns are simply not up to current standards. Grade them on a curve and there are some acceptable hotels, but not a one of the best comes up to Oceania standards. But do try to eat some of your dinners off the ship, especially in Havana. There are excellent privately owned restaurants -- paladares -- that serve delicious food at remarkably reasonable prices. (Of course, these private restaurants give money to the government.)

I'm delighted we visited Cuba before it begins to change too much. But it was a hard trip since the hotel accommodations didn't really offer a place to relax and recover from a busy, interesting day of touring.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

I am going this winter on a small ship from Mia. Al;so several American tour companies are offering great tours in Cuba now. some are all ship and others all land. my ship so small there is no pool or spa. .not thrilled about that at all.

In December, my husband and I visited Cuba -- a wholly legal land trip -- by participating in a People to People mission. The difference between what we did during our trip and what a typical Oceania excursion does anywhere else in the world is minimal. The excursions can be easily tweaked to keep every US citizen on the right side of current regulations. The tour companies in Cuba are expert at offering appealing trips to US citizens already.

Here are some of the places we visited that made our 10-day stay qualify as a People to People mission:

...the largest Jewish congregation in Havana where we heard from the president of the congregation. (Donation of medical supplies to the pharmacy of the synagogue.)

... an elementary school in Havana. This was the least appealing stop because an official from the central government attended and his presence seemed to put a chill on the easy conversation we enjoyed every other place we visited. (Donation of school supplies.)

... an organic farm in an outlying section of Havana which got into trouble with the government. The govt gave the group the land to grow food intended for the neighborhood. To improve their methods, some representatives of the farm visited organic farms in the US, including Alice Waters' famous organic restaurant in Berkeley, CA. The Cubans came home enthusiastic about a restaurant and opened one to capture the business of tourist groups who came to the farm. The government made the farm shut down the restaurant. It didn't matter that the farm's productivity had not diminished because of the restaurant. It didn't matter that this second profit center was bringing more money to the government. The land was being used for a reason not originally approved and the restaurant is no more. That story alone was worth the trip to the farm.

... two artist's cooperatives. High quality art. (These places are not set up to pack your purchases safely. If you think you might want to buy art, bring an empty mailing tube in your suitcase to protect your purchases.)

In addition, we visited all the historic (recent and colonial) places and tourist (rum and cigar factories) places anyone of any nationality would be interested in visiting. The only thing we weren't allowed to do was to laze on the beach. At the speed with which things are changing in US/Cuban relations, cruisers might even be allowed to have a beach day in the near future. (You wouldn't want to do that during your stay in Havana. The beaches near the city aren't the best.)

A cruise ship seems like the ideal way to visit Cuba for the moment. First of all, if the cruise ships will be using the historic port, ships will dock at right in the heart of Old Town, one of the prime draws for visitors. In addition, the hotels in Havana and some of the smaller towns are simply not up to current standards. Grade them on a curve and there are some acceptable hotels, but not a one of the best comes up to Oceania standards. But do try to eat some of your dinners off the ship, especially in Havana. There are excellent privately owned restaurants -- paladares -- that serve delicious food at remarkably reasonable prices. (Of course, these private restaurants give money to the government.)

I'm delighted we visited Cuba before it begins to change too much. But it was a hard trip since the hotel accommodations didn't really offer a place to relax and recover from a busy, interesting day of touring.

I agree -- my comment was directed to the post " If you don't do the ship tour, I'd expect to be doing a self guided walking tour." That is not going to happen or be allowed.

Should read "Any stops in Cuba the US citizens will have to follow US laws". As a Canadian, we could book private tours, taxi to Veradero for a day on the beach etc.

Edited by Christine Frances

Not that I know for sure, but it would seem to me that a large ship like Marina would stop in Cuba in conjunction with their multi island Caribbean cruises. Maybe an overnight in Havana and perhaps one other city. Regatta is a small ship and would be perfect for a single destination, circumnavigation of Cuba lasting several nights, as a Miami to Miami cruise.

I think the rules might of changed or Fathom has found a way. If you read the reviews of their cruise to Cuba there is talk about doing the included tour or going on your own. Also going out to dinner alone on the night in Havana. Article in NYT,s today about the economy in Cuba doing poor and conditions their deteriorating due to large cuts in aid from Venezuela.

I agree -- my comment was directed to the post " If you don't do the ship tour, I'd expect to be doing a self guided walking tour." That is not going to happen or be allowed.

If people go on the Port of Call board, there is a staggeringly long thread about cruising to Cuba. At least one poster (first link) reports that Celestyal requires that all US citizens buy the People to People excursions. However, the ship staff is remarkably candid in telling people that the cruise ship doesn't care whether people actually participate in those excursions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48559753&postcount=2688

Another poster confirms this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=48579969&postcount=2692

If people go on the Port of Call board, there is a staggeringly long thread about cruising to Cuba. At least one poster (first link) reports that Celestyal requires that all US citizens buy the People to People excursions. However, the ship staff is remarkably candid in telling people that the cruise ship doesn't care whether people actually participate in those excursions.

Some follow up about Celestyal:

I just went to the Celestyal web site and looked at the link for US travelers. the company certainly talks the talk. The text says all the right things about US visitors to Cuba: "It is still not legal for Americans to have a conventional tourist holiday in Cuba. OFAC regulations require we provide for US citizens and residents a "full-time schedule of educational exchange activities". Our special programs on board and designated people to people excursions are a part of your all-inclusive package."

However, my earlier links show that the company has decided to ignore the US regulations and their own text.

Celestyal is a Cyprus-based cruise line and their ships, including the one that does the Cuban itinerary, are flagged in Malta. Perhaps this explains why Celestyal has decided to play games with the license that allows it to take US cruisers to Cuba via a People to People Program. Possibly, they aren't concerned about losing this US-issued license; they may think they're going to lose plenty of business anyway as more cruise lines qualify for stops at Cuban ports. For the moment, US visitors sailing on Celestyal are not at risk; Celestyal is able to give them the necessary document that can be presented to immigration control when returning to the US.

The company who ran our land trip to Cuba certainly didn't flout the rules. Friendly Planet organized quality excursions and our itinerary went nowhere near the coastal towns that are the prime resort towns. We were certainly allowed to go out to dinner on our own! We were an older group of travelers so no one went out clubbing, but, except for a few special group dinners, we all dined independently.

On this board, I suspect the consensus is that Oceania will organize Cuban port calls well and legally.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

There are some tour operators in the USA that do allow their clients some free time in Havana as well as going to Varadaro during the tour

They still follow the requisites set out under the terms for US citizens to visit Cuba via the people to people program

One blog I followed they had 2-3 nights at the Melia (on the beach)

so it is just a matter of picking the tour & organization that has the options you are looking for

As for NON US citizens it is not a problem doing your own thing in Cuba

• 4 months later...

"Oceania Cruises’ 1,250-passenger Marina will inaugurate Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ Cuba voyages on March 7 with three Caribbean voyages that include a mix of full-day and overnight stops in Havana. Regent Seven Seas’ 700-passenger Seven Seas Mariner will follow in April with two trips that combine an overnight stay in Havana with other Caribbean stops. And in May, Norwegian Cruise Line’s 2,004-passenger Norwegian Sky will set sail on five Caribbean sailings that include overnight stays in Havana."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article119444373.html#storylink=cpy

"Oceania Cruises’ 1,250-passenger Marina will inaugurate Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings’ Cuba voyages on March 7 with three Caribbean voyages that include a mix of full-day and overnight stops in Havana. Regent Seven Seas’ 700-passenger Seven Seas Mariner will follow in April with two trips that combine an overnight stay in Havana with other Caribbean stops. And in May, Norwegian Cruise Line’s 2,004-passenger Norwegian Sky will set sail on five Caribbean sailings that include overnight stays in Havana."

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article119444373.html#storylink=cpy

Great....it has solved my problem for a winter 2017/2018 cruise. Now those Western Caribbean itineraries will have a "carrot".