Is it worthwhile paying a little more to switch to Princess

jveevers

We have always cruised (except 1 ) with Celebrity. No specific negatives but have got a little bored with the same food and ships. The next cruise we are planing is a 10/11 night in Asia. Both cruise lines (Celebrity and Princess) have similar itinerary Singapore - Singapore. Celebrity in a Sky Suite costs out at $7000 includes grats, beverage Package and internet. That is a 10 night so equals $700 per night..... Princess in a Mini Suite costs out at $5466 but add on grats @ $413, Bev. package @ $1650 and internet @ $200- makes a total of $7729. That is 11 nights which is $701 per night. So you can see that pricing is pretty well the same. I am assuming that a Princess mini Suite is comparative to a celebrity sky suite, is someone able to confirm this please?

So what I would get with Celebrity is a dedicated restaurant for Suite guests. Does Princess have this? Both cruises have similar OBC included. So, do you think that I will be dissapointed by switching, is Princess as good as Celebrity, all things being equal.? Thank you ....:)

A Princess mini-suite is not really a suite. It is just a larger balcony cabin. It is one larger room, no real separate bedroom. No, there is no separate dinner restaurant for suite guests. They are starting a "club" program where there is a separate area of the MDR for people with this booking. A mini-suite is not eligible for suite perks. Also, Princess does not have an "unlimited" internet package.

We liked Princess better than Celebrity, but we didn't do suites. We were in a balcony.

Princess beverage package includes almost all drinks (we found a lot more on X that were over the price limit. Most upcharge items are cheaper on Princess. Afternoon tea is complimentary, but not as fancy as X.

There are way more similarities than differences, but don't be expecting suite service and amenities on P if you book a mini.

A mini-suite on Princess is not a "suite" at all, it's just a balcony cabin with a couch. Princess really stretch the truth with that name :mad:. You don't get any additional perks at all - so you would definitely be disappointed if that's what you book and you're expecting a suite.

For the same money I would much prefer a genuine suite on Celebrity.

Thank you all. Very usefull comments. I notice that the mini Suite is quite a bit larger in area than a regular balcony. That area seems to be a middle section with a sofa and a section close to the balcony with table.

Thank you all. Very usefull comments. I notice that the mini Suite is quite a bit larger in area than a regular balcony. That area seems to be a middle section with a sofa and a section close to the balcony with table.

You can always do a Google search for pictures of Princess mini-suites. They are larger than a regular balcony cabin, but, are definitely not a "smaller" suite. Nor do they have any suite amenities.

You can always do a Google search for pictures of Princess mini-suites. They are larger than a regular balcony cabin, but, are definitely not a "smaller" suite. Nor do they have any suite amenities.

The same cabins on P&O Azura and Ventura, both grand class ships do not call these cabins suites. They are nice cabins.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The reason I like mini suites is when traveling with 3 people no one has to climb stairs to get to bed. To me that and the larger bathtub/shower are the real perks. As many have stated mini suites are not "suites" but I don't want to climb stairs at night to get into a bunk and I don't want the shower curtain attacking me in a regular cabin[emoji4]

Oh and you cannot have a queen bed configuration if you have 4 people in a non mini. So if I'm with my family if like to sleep with my husband.

With my mom and sister we swap who gets the sofa bed. If you have 4 in a mini 1 person climbs stairs or there's a rollaway brought into the cabin that stays and cramps your space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is nothing WRONG with a mini suite as long as you understand that it is nothing other than a big balcony cabin. It is NOT a suite. It does not have separate rooms, it does not have suite perks.

If you book it thinking that you are getting a small suite, you will be disappointed.

I haven't cruised in a Celebrity SkySuite..but have done the mini suite on Princess. From the pictures (which can be deceptive) it appears they are fairly similar.. really just large balcony cabins. We really enjoyed the mini suite...the extra space was nice, I think the Stewards are slightly better trained etc and give more attention...that being said, it does sound like Celebrity might have more perks. I would choose based on other ship amenities, and specific port stops (and how long you are in port). It sounds like you might just want to try something different, so I think going with Princess would be the thing to do this time around.

Beyond the differences of Cabin, its of note that princess has REALLY gone to town setting up the Asian market treating it almost as whole separate operation (including hotel/culinary.) It is now being managed by a separate customer service division (which include HAL and a super luxury line whos name I can't recall) You are likely to have a much better experience Port wise. The onboard experience is tailored to the market so much different than the typical.

Sky suites in Celebrity are one largish studio room with bathroom with bathtub, etc. Mini-suites on Princess are similar, just set up slightly different, ie "sitting" room next to bedroom with a slight differentiation of space, two TVs, larger bathroom than standard balcony with bathtub, etc.

They are quite comparable cabins, except on Celebrity, SkySuites actually get the suite perks including concierge, private lounge, private dining room, etc while in Princess, mini-suites have no additional benefits over a balcony. Exception is the new Club Class Mini-Suites to be introduced towards end of this year, which includes a separate dining perk, and very little else..

We cruise both lines (Elite Plus on Celebrity and Elite on Princess) and they're more alike than different. For $11 difference in price plus one more night, we'd go with Princess hands down. We prefer their onboard atmosphere, more egalitarian approach to cruising, food options, including 24 hour free room service (as opposed to Celebrity's $4.95 charge after 11), the international Cafe in Princess is far superior to Cafe AL Bacio on Celebrity - Princess includes soup, sandwiches, salads, plus sweet treat - and is open 24/7, and nightlife on Princess is better and more varied, ie - it's not just a theater show and everyone at the Martini Bar. There's several lounges, game show type events, several options for live music and dancing, happy hours, etc..

Overall, we prefer Princess, and for $11and an extra night, it would be a no brainer for us to sail Princess over Celebrity.

Enjoy, either way.

Edited by reedprincess

HUGE difference between Celebrity's Sky Suites and mini-suites on Princess. You're comparing apples and oranges. The minis have little to no perks whereas the Sky Suites have a lot of perks. They're a totally different class.

You'd have a great time on either line, I'm sure. Just make sure you're getting the right kind of cabin for your tastes. You'd be disappointed with a mini-suite if you think it's going to be like a Sky Suite IMO.

There is nothing WRONG with a mini suite as long as you understand that it is nothing other than a big balcony cabin. It is NOT a suite. It does not have separate rooms' date=' it does not have suite perks.

If you book it thinking that you are getting a small suite, you will be disappointed.[/quote']

I agree! I wish Princess would start calling them large or deluxe balconies, rather than mini-suites.

Last time I was on Celebrity, the Sky Suites had butler service as well. Not sure if this has changed, but I would go with Celebrity in any case given your choices.

I have found that the mini suite in general on Princess, is unusually comfortable. I have seen the sky suites on Celebrity- didn't like their locations. On Celebrity we prefer aqua class- cabin comfortable, but mini suites on Princess are more so and many locations on the ships-

Balconies are to us a kind of hassle on Princess- as some are covered, some are not- and need to research this before choosing cabin. We have been in uncovered a couple of times, and felt it was a waste of money- too windy so we couldn't enjoy those.

Princess has convenient self serve washers and dryers-- So on Celebrity- cruise needs to be 7 nights or less, or have a port stop where I can spend 2 hours doing my laundry. (I can only use hyper allergenic detergent, and are careful with dryer time so my clothes won't shrink)

In general, I prefer the upscale Celebrity experience as well as the food.

On Princess food can be hit or miss, depending on ship and sailing. I did find the food on the Royal and Coral, unusually good, almost on par with Celebrity.

Celebrity has included adult solarium. Princess charges a ridicuous amount and it is outside with little shade. Princess also on the Coral allows babies with diapers in the indoor what used to be an over 16 Lotus pool area.

So, I would decide which features are the most important to you and then go from there. With us: Itinerary first- then we work with the features of that ship and still have a great time.

If you are talking about an S1 sky suite on a Solstice class Celebrity ship, verses a mini suite on Princess, there is no comparison. Hands down the sky suite wins, especially if it is one of the aft corner sky suites. You will find far more similarities than differences between Celebrity and Princess.

We've sailed Celebrity for twenty years and have been on every class of ship in the fleet. We took our first Princess cruise in March of this year on Royal Princess. We liked it so much, we will be back on Royal in January.

I have never seen any babies in diapers in an adult OR ANY pool on Princess. Not saying it couldn't happen....but it is not the norm. The Sanctuary experience on the Coral is wonderful and you can choose if you want your lounger in sun or shade, plus on this ship (Coral)it has its own private pool.

Sky Suites on Celebrity get royal treatment, while mini-suites on Princess are just nicer cabins. Celebrity suite guests get Luminae restaurant (miles above any regular dining option on Princess, even if the new Club marketing is 100% accurate), a Butler, Michael's Club, suite Concierge who can pull strings on everything, and the BEST package of 4 amenities includes the Premium Beverage package and unlimited internet. For the same price? -- Sky Suite, no question.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Thank you all for very worthwhile comments.

Have taken the plunge and booked Princess, mainly because this particular sailing has 5 new Ports for us. The Celebrity cruise that we considered went further North to Hong Kong and Ha Long Bay which in February can be very wet.

Booked the Mini Suite with full acknowledgement that it is not really a Suite and has no perks.

Nothing against Celebrity but after 6 cruises in 7 years with them, kinda bored with seeing the same layout and food. Am very excited to try something different.

:)

I want to make it clear: overall I really liked the Coral Ship. But it is a fact that the crew around the Lotus pool was useless-- If you are with children, then you would have a fabulous experience in there. My dh and I were really looking forward to relaxing in there. Yes, you are correct- this ship has a small pool in the Sanctuary. There is very little shade in the sanctuary- if you get there early enough to book then perhaps you would be able to get a lounger in that small area. What is nice there though, is that the sanctuary is in the aft of the ship. On the Royal/Regal it is forward, and windy. On that ship, we picked our loungers in the most shaded part. I still got a horrible sunburn as there are spaces between the sail like covers. My point was that on Celebrity, the adult area is included with the fare, it is indoors with a nice pool inside.

By the way, I never experienced the diaper clad baby until I was on this ship.

I was all set to book the Coral for an Alaska sailing, but this was a deal breaker for us. We loved the lotus pool on the Sapphire, years ago for Alaska with Glacier Bay- adults only-- the food was horrible on the Sapphire

on that sailing. But sitting in a hot tub watching the beautiful scenery was priceless for us. So we are using the Celebrity Solstice for our next Alaska sailing. Will be viewing a different glacier- but will miss not seeing Glacier Bay again. Now, if using the lotus pool area is not a big deal to the passenger, then the Coral would be just fine. If the itinerary were right, and the Lotus pool wouldn't be a factor for that sailing, then of course I would happilly cruise on that ship again, The food was great.