The dreaded swelling

canadaguy

I know it is a very common thing but does anyone have any tips and hints on how to avoid or reduce swelling in the lower legs from the heat and airline flights on the way to the cruise?

I get it all the time and although not painful it is annoying !

I know staying hydrated is one factor any more suggestions ?

Compression hose. They are awful! Walk around the plane if you can. March in your seat, legs only. :) once on the ship keep your legs propped up. I get the swelling also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Compression hose. They are awful! Walk around the plane if you can. March in your seat, legs only. :) once on the ship keep your legs propped up. I get the swelling also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wear compression socks 365 days a year and have been doing so for 10 years .I do not find them awful. They help greatly.

I know it is a very common thing but does anyone have any tips and hints on how to avoid or reduce swelling in the lower legs from the heat and airline flights on the way to the cruise?

I get it all the time and although not painful it is annoying !

I know staying hydrated is one factor any more suggestions ?

The big one is don't add any extra salt to the food.

I've never had that issue....you can attribute it to the humidity...salt air, salty food...drinking more than you usually do...walking more than you probably do...

Relax...put your feet up, and chill....don't add ANY salt to your food....it has PLENTY! Age seems to be a factor in the swelling thing....if you're over 50...then you could have issues. If you're under 50..you will need to see your doctor when you get home!

Edited by cb at sea

I wear compression socks 365 days a year and have been doing so for 10 years .I do not find them awful. They help greatly.

I'm with ansoninc with this one. Dr prescribed compression hose for me several years ago. I hate them. I force myself to wear them on long flights, however, because I know I should.

They make my legs feel like little pins and needles are poking me. And scrunch my toes.

Buy an inflatable footrest. Taking Lasix (by prescription from your doctor) can help afterwards, although you will spend a lot of time making trips to the restroom until the extra fluid is eliminated. For some Elemis Instant Refreshing Gel can help - put it on your lower legs. Limit sodium. Compression socks are helpful and less binding than compression hose. Buying fully adjustable shoes such as these is very helpful with having a shoe that will still fit when the plane lands if your feet are swollen - much better than suffering with shoes that are now too tight for the long hike through the airport:

http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-ecco-yucatan-sandal-atmosphere-ice-black-p_id106979?adtrack=gpa&term=Women%27s+ECCO+Yucatan+Sandal&offer=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&mkwid=&creative=&pcid=106979&adpos=1o1&gclid=CjwKEAjwk6K8BRDM3aCSkdCtzSQSJAA3Vf380eU6SCTlMHmn7_uBy5OXPhyb1T7y5nptNNMroOOJrhoCWmHw_wcB

Afterwards, massage can help move the fluid, also lying on your back with your legs up against a wall for an hour or so and also getting into a swimming pool can help.

Well I am under 50 and have been experiencing this for the better part of 5-7 years now. I've seen my doctor several times and he assures me it's nothing to be concerned about. As soon as I get home everything goes back to normal so it does not seem to be a health issue , more so living in the north and by body not being used to the heat and humidity so it decides to retain water.😊

I do not eat sauces or soups on the ship unless I ask for low sodium ones

I usually ask for the low sodium foods or just steer clear of things that are high in sodium like lobster, shrimp etc...

salad dressings can also have hidden sodium

I have been doing this for several yrs after a very painful episode of swollen legs that took a week or so to get over

so far pain free

we were in Norway so it was not the heat & humidity that caused it so it must have been the food for me

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

Compression hose are much better than they used to be....lots of colors/patterns to choose from if you wish. Amazon has plenty of them. Make sure to buy the proper size, usually based on a calf measurement. As others have said, get up and walk around on your flight, elevate your feet as soon and as often as you can (on the flight and onboard the ship), get up and walk around frequently, avoid extra salt and drink plenty of plain water. There are also easy exercises you can do in flight that help circulation and may prevent a blood clot - Google "in flight exercises".

Edited by Kartgv

Every time we cruise, this happens to me. I have learned to not pack any footwear or clothing that fits snugly at home, because it will be unbearable on the cruise. I even find I have to remove my wedding rings while on a cruise!

I drink as much water as I can, avoid added salt whenever possible, and rest with my feet up when possible. It doesn't eliminate the swelling, but at least it doesn't become impossible to live with.

When I get home, all is well after a day or two.

My mom has trouble with swelling feet anytime she flies. It is so bad that she has to get a size bigger shoes to take with her anytime she flies because she can't get her normal size shoes on for a day or two after flying. We bought her a pair of compression travel socks on Amazon and they work great for her. No swelling whatsoever.

I drink as much water as I can, avoid added salt whenever possible, and rest with my feet up when possible. It doesn't eliminate the swelling, but at least it doesn't become impossible to live with.

When I get home, all is well after a day or two.

It is not the added salt you do on your own but what they add in the kitchen during food preparation

Next time ask for a low or no sodium menu on the ship

you will be amazed at the difference ;)

I had a dreadfully swollen foot (actually due to an infection). The ships doctor told me to get the cabin steward to put my lifejacket under the mattress at the foot of the bed. I was very sceptical but amazingly it worked and the swelling improved thanks to that (and industrial strength antibiotics)

I don't drink the ship's water (bottled only).

I know, I know, people will say the water is desalinated, etc. However, I always had this problem until I stopped drinking the ship's water. So that's what works for me.;)

I have serious swelling and all of the ideas are great. I always pack a blow up beach ball to use as a foot stool. Get a largeish one and don't blow it up all the way.

Looks cute in the stateroom and you can just leave it if you want.

Happy cruising and dodge the salt

6boysnana

Zensah compression sleeves. Put them on when you get on the plane, take them off just before landing. That way you can wear sandals on the fight and not look, well, silly, with the socks and sandals... You can wear them on the cruise and look cool - great color choices - because you look more like an athlete than a lounge chair lizard ;) I wear one on my surgically enhanced leg when it's feeling not too great and I've got 9 hours of standing at work ahead. I've used them for years now, on any flight over 2 hours. My physio recommended them for me.

I also have an inflatable footrest for those times that I am doing a long flight in Economy instead of Business. Bought it on Magellan's website. Love it.

Also, do not eat all that junk that they feed at meals that are loaded with salt. Avoid the soups, the sauces, ask for the veggies made without salt. Eat healthy - don't eat the meat unless you ask for it unsalted (salting meat makes it retain some of the juiciness they suck out of it by overcooking and having it sit before someone orders it).

I had a dreadfully swollen foot (actually due to an infection). The ships doctor told me to get the cabin steward to put my lifejacket under the mattress at the foot of the bed. I was very sceptical but amazingly it worked and the swelling improved thanks to that (and industrial strength antibiotics)

Ship's Doctor once told me to do the same thing with the life jacket and it worked (however I managed to do it myself without help from the cabin steward). Plus you have the added benefit of knowing exactly where your life jacket is!

I would ask a doctor. I am glad I did - my reason was high blood pressure that gave me the swelling. He said, not to wear anything tight on the plane.

Swelling is not a disease, it's a symptom of something, and only the doctor can determine, what.

Sometimes I have problems with swelling and sometimes I don't. Have never figured that one out. We've been on some of the same ship/itinerary several times and so basically eat the same things.

I read on these boards just before our last cruise where a poster said her doctor suggested eatting a banana everyday to prevent/reduce the swelling. I tried it and had no swelling. So...don't know if it would have been one of those times I would not have had any problems or if it worked. I'll try it again next time for sure.

I'm with ansoninc with this one. Dr prescribed compression hose for me several years ago. I hate them. I force myself to wear them on long flights, however, because I know I should.

They make my legs feel like little pins and needles are poking me. And scrunch my toes.

Initially i hated wearing them but I have been wearing them since 2006 and they helped me greatly.