Is Celebrity chartering out the Summit AGAIN in 2018?

A Sixth?

There's a web site advertising a "Smooth Jazz" cruise for Jan 30 2018 right in the middle of our plan of spending the winter aboard the Summit.

PLUS it somehow gets from San Juan to Fort Lauderdale in almost zerpo time.....:confused:

Say it aint' so ?X?!!!!

SJC18.portsofcall.map.jpg

I hope not! We are booked on the Jan 30, 2018 cruise. 11 night, leaves on Tuesday and ends on Sat Feb 10 in San Juan......I'll be really disappointed if it gets canceled :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I googled smooth Jazz Cruise and found a website for a organization who says they have doing these themed cruise for 15 years. They are showing 2 cruises on the Summitt Feb 10,2018 and March 10, 2018.

There is no indication of whether this is a charter but they have a very large line-up of entertainers. It looks like lots of jazz day & night including late night shows.

I hope not! We are booked on the Jan 30, 2018 cruise. 11 night, leaves on Tuesday and ends on Sat Feb 10 in San Juan......I'll be really disappointed if it gets canceled :(

It'll be harder to stalk you guys if we have to re-book:p

Me-ha-ha-ha!!! :p

HAHA-GIF.gif?gs=a

I googled smooth Jazz Cruise and found a website for a organization who says they have doing these themed cruise for 15 years. They are showing 2 cruises on the Summitt Feb 10,2018 and March 10, 2018.

There is no indication of whether this is a charter but they have a very large line-up of entertainers. It looks like lots of jazz day & night including late night shows.

Smooth Jazz is always a full ship charter. It's on my bucket list.

I googled smooth Jazz Cruise and found a website for a organization who says they have doing these themed cruise for 15 years. They are showing 2 cruises on the Summit Feb 10,2018 and March 10, 2018.

For A Sixth? and the others if it is full charter isn't relevant although it appears to be. They are booked on a 11 day that disembarks in San Juan on the 10th. The Jazz cruise is advertising embarking from Fort Lauderdale the same day. The Summit may be a fast ship but she is not that fast.

http://www.thesmoothjazzcruise.com/

Smooth Jazz is always a full ship charter. It's on my bucket list.

For A Sixth? and the others if it is full charter isn't relevant although it appears to be. They are booked on a 11 day that disembarks in San Juan on the 10th. The Jazz cruise is advertising embarking from Fort Lauderdale the same day. The Summit may be a fast ship but she is not that fast.

http://www.thesmoothjazzcruise.com/

Never underestimate Dr. "X"

edit

Smooth Jazz? What is that?

You know what

I have many good years left and a bit of money

I'd like to spend 2 -3 months on a cruise ship in the Caribbean every winter and a moth (hee hee I was going to correct the spelling but a real cool BIG moth would take the edge off things eh?) and each summer a month or so in Europe

Edited by A Sixth?

Another option would be, if you enjoy Jazz and like music and IF pricing is similar, join the charter IF want the itinerary, too.... could be overall fun.

Edited by Bo1953

Another option would be, if you enjoy Jazz and like music and IF pricing is similar, join the charter IF want the itinerary, too.... could be overall fun.

Prices are almost double what I paid.

Smoothies not Smooth Jazz!!!!!:D

PS Isn't the Jan 30th 2018 Summit cruise one of the "43" wonderful new overnights in the Caribbean that Celebrity is promoting?

batman-and-robin11.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

I called Celebrity last night to enquire about our cruise (not that I have much confidence in the information received from customer serverice)....at this point the Jan 30th 2018 sailing 11 nights from San Juan is still on and open for bookings - it seemed to be a pretty popular sailing with the unique itinerary (Summit normally does 7 nights out of San Juan and doesn't hit Aruba etc) - so hopefully it won't get bumped

He said that they are not showing any charters on Summit through Jan/Feb of 2018 and still accepting bookings on all those dates.

So who knows.....I suspect it is one of those things where if the Jazz company gets a certain number of bookings it's a go but in the meantime Celebrity is hedging their bets??

It's all speculation at this point and I can just hope it doesn't affect our Jan 30th sailing

We were looking forward to this one.

Summit doing something different. We canceled our B/B Caribe Summit Aqua 1 Cabin 1140 for this ABC Cruise. Had Cabin Aqua 1 1140 for the ABC Cruise too, 123Go Package too!!!

Bumped us for a Jazz Cruise out of Florida. Offered us $50 a person toward a Cruise if we booked in 3 days, what an insult.

I booked Summit Aqua 1 Cabin 1140 Bermuda 5-8-2016 as a backup, good thing.

28152981480_7b19cf9553_b.jpg

CaptDave

Just for the heck of it, I looked up how much it would cost to go on the "Smooth Jazz" cruise.... $ 3,550.ea pp for an Aqua class cabin, no perks. I am presently booked in an AQ1 for $ 2,099.00, all the perks.

Pretty smooth eh? :cool:

516222-580x591.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

What a bummer! Not only to lose your booking, but to consider paying double for the "privilege" of listening to non-stop elevator music [= smooth jazz]. With the redeployment of Equinox to the Caribbean on a full-time basis, I suspect X will be marketing Summit even more heavily for charters. Just throwing out an idea here: I understand the attraction of the Summit rt San Juan itineraries (avoiding the possibly cooler weather leaving and returning to Florida), but after as many cruises as you have taken the attraction must the be ship more than the ports -- so have you considered Equinox? Hopefully the S-class ships are too big to charter :)

What a bummer! Not only to lose your booking, but to consider paying double for the "privilege" of listening to non-stop elevator music [= smooth jazz]. With the redeployment of Equinox to the Caribbean on a full-time basis, I suspect X will be marketing Summit even more heavily for charters. Just throwing out an idea here: I understand the attraction of the Summit rt San Juan itineraries (avoiding the possibly cooler weather leaving and returning to Florida), but after as many cruises as you have taken the attraction must the be ship more than the ports -- so have you considered Equinox? Hopefully the S-class ships are too big to charter :)

Just checked and if I switch over to the Eclipse for the two months we're planning to cruise Jan / Feb 2018 it would cost $ 1000.00 more.....

May be worth it I guess it's just that I like San Juan a lot.

I called Celebrity last night to enquire about our cruise (not that I have much confidence in the information received from customer serverice)....at this point the Jan 30th 2018 sailing 11 nights from San Juan is still on and open for bookings - it seemed to be a pretty popular sailing with the unique itinerary (Summit normally does 7 nights out of San Juan and doesn't hit Aruba etc) - so hopefully it won't get bumped

He said that they are not showing any charters on Summit through Jan/Feb of 2018 and still accepting bookings on all those dates.

So who knows.....I suspect it is one of those things where if the Jazz company gets a certain number of bookings it's a go but in the meantime Celebrity is hedging their bets??

It's all speculation at this point and I can just hope it doesn't affect our Jan 30th sailing

I too am on the Jan 30th sailing. This will be the 2nd time I've booked that sailing in fact. 1st time was Jan 2017, and it was bumped by a charter late last year. I think it was like Oct when they called to tell us. We were given 4 choices of nothing we wanted, so we straight up cancelled.

I booked this Jan 18 cruise b/c of the itinerary, which is going to Bonaire.

The first time I tried to take Celebrity to Bonaire, a pod broke and our 7 day got cut to 6, and dropped Bonaire. Then I booked 17 to go to Bonaire, and it got chartered..

Maybe 3rd times the charm?!!!

We used to do b2bs on the Millennium out of Puerto Rico.

We loved departing from San Juan for the 10 and 11 day cruises.

Of course, that ended.

We were so excited when we were told that in Jan/17 there would be a b2b 10/11 days on the Summit, leaving from San Juan. And we booked. We were bumped to the Equinox out of Fort Lauderdale. Going back and forth to Florida is not the same!

So, c'mon, Celebrity, give us some winter b2b, 10/11 days out of San Juan again. Please!

Don (asixth), I don't know what website you're looking at, but we are currently 'pre-booked' on a Smooth Jazz Cruise for Feb 10-17, 2018, on Summit; I just checked the website, and it looks like they're adding another Smooth Jazz charter (Summit) over the week of March 10-17. I saw nothing about your January dates, however. If you google the Smooth Jazz Cruise 15th anniversary cruise(s), you should be able to see the website I am talking about.

However, last I checked, X is still selling cruises for the Feb 10-17 2018 sailing -- in fact, a CC buddy (Tourdecruise) is currently booked on it. When she called the Captain's Club, they didn't know anything about a Summit Smooth Jazz cruise for 2018 -- so, things may not be set in stone, yet. All our 'pre-booking' deposit did was get a us firm place in line, for when actual bookings open up (late August/early September time frame). I guess we'll just have to all stay tuned....;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat with the 3/10/2018 summit sailing....on the smooth jazz website, it lists it as a charter. But, I'm keeping my booking because if they make us reschedule, I want OBC or an upgrade....lol. Keep us informed though!

We got a call tonight that our February 2018 cruise has been chartered. The agent said the ship is chartered the last part of January through April. [emoji22]

Uggghhhh. Did they give you any substitutions, and most importantly, anything for your trouble??

Just read over on another website that Jan. 30 has been chartered. A travel agent there posted she was called by Celebrity so it is not heresay. I wish Celebrity would stop this.

Pat