Three Person Room Waitlist

themultipleman

Hi,

My family is planning on taking a Christmas cruise. The three siblings are going to share a room, and the parents are going to have their own.

When the siblings went to get their room they were sold out of 3 person staterooms.

They were put on a waitlist for 16 different types of 3 person rooms, but they are number 7 on the waitlist.

What are the chances (the cruise is December) of them getting a room? Are they waiting on people to cancel their rooms? Thanks for any help.

I assume they also looked at cabins that can accommodate 4? While I would vastly prefer one where the third berth comes down from the ceiling you "could" get one with 4 berths although that would probably mean a cabin where the unused berth was stuck on the side of the cabin wall.

Hi,

My family is planning on taking a Christmas cruise. The three siblings are going to share a room, and the parents are going to have their own.

When the siblings went to get their room they were sold out of 3 person staterooms.

They were put on a waitlist for 16 different types of 3 person rooms, but they are number 7 on the waitlist.

What are the chances (the cruise is December) of them getting a room? Are they waiting on people to cancel their rooms? Thanks for any help.

This could be difficult.

1)holiday cruise

2)ship is capacity controlled, only so many 3rd and 4th berths are allowed.

So there may be some 3/4 cabins showing available but are not because of the 3rd/4th limit being reached. Hope that makes sense.

We had this happen last year when I tried to book an OV on Emerald deck for 3 on the Emerald. There were 2 (3/4) berth cabins available. When they added 3 in one cabin the other cabin became unavailable. Then we tried to put 2 in 1 cabin and make the other a single and it would not go. They told me that cabin would be vacant during the sailing. It was explained to me by a Princess supervisor something about too many passengers booked in that section of the ship.

It is good that final has not come yet.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Thanks for the comments.

Let me try and address them:

There are 3 person mini-suites available, so I don't know if those have different rules for the capacity issue that was mentioned.

I am using the princess website to look at the rooms available and there are no 4 person rooms left.

A few people have mentioned "Final payment." I am new to cruising, have only done it once, when is final payment, and why is it significant to the wait list?

Lastly, someone mentioned that Travel Agencies have holds on rooms? Does that mean I can search travel agencies and find a 3 person room?

Thank again for help.

Hi,

A lot of people book multiple cruises and the cancel some.

So fair,

If it wasn't Christmas I'd say good.

Also, you may notice a bunch of cabins open up all at once when the TAs release their block holds.

We always check daily the Princess website when my daughter's family of 4 finds no cabin available.

A number of times we were in luck to find cabins open up presumably for that reason.

Sorry to hijack your thread with a similar question, didn't want to make a duplicate one... Back in march or so, our family (of 3) booked a cruise thats sailing about 4 weeks from now, and we are on the waitlist as well. I had called princes directly and a guy told me there is only a single wait-list, what does that mean? He couldn't tell us where we are on the list because the information is only avail to the TA and he had no access...

So fast forward a few days we did recently get some info from the TA that we are currently something like #1 or 2 on the list, so my guess is chances are good that we'll get a spot 30 days from sailing?? At this point are there any more holds that could lift or things open up, or are we basically praying for other people to cancel? If we ever try to get on the WL for other rooms does that mess up my spot in line? Bit confused about the process in general.

Any insight on the process is much appreciated :)

Edited by holymolys

A few people have mentioned "Final payment." I am new to cruising, have only done it once, when is final payment, and why is it significant to the wait list?

Before final payment, you can cancel the booking and usually lose no money. After final payment, cancellation means a loss of a significant amount of $$$.

So some people wait until the last moment (final payment time) and decide to cancel.

If a 3-person mini-suite is available, why not book that and ask to stay on the waiting list for a lower category cabin?

Sorry to hijack your thread with a similar question, didn't want to make a duplicate one... Back in march or so, our family (of 3) booked a cruise thats sailing about 4 weeks from now, and we are on the waitlist as well. I had called princes directly and a guy told me there is only a single wait-list, what does that mean? He couldn't tell us where we are on the list because the information is only avail to the TA and he had no access...

So fast forward a few days we did recently get some info from the TA that we are currently something like #1 or 2 on the list, so my guess is chances are good that we'll get a spot 30 days from sailing?? At this point are there any more holds that could lift or things open up, or are we basically praying for other people to cancel? If we ever try to get on the WL for other rooms does that mess up my spot in line? Bit confused about the process in general.

Any insight on the process is much appreciated :)

If you are only 30 days out from the cruise and need a 3rd berth in the cabin, I don't think your chances are that great. Sorry. Someone would have to cancel a cabin being used for 3 so that the ship isn't over capacity. Like Keith said it's more complicated from where we are sitting.

Thanks for the comments.

Let me try and address them:

There are 3 person mini-suites available, so I don't know if those have different rules for the capacity issue that was mentioned.

I am using the princess website to look at the rooms available and there are no 4 person rooms left.

Lastly, someone mentioned that Travel Agencies have holds on rooms? Does that mean I can search travel agencies and find a 3 person room?

Thank again for help.

It applies to all 3/4 berth cabins onboard. Like I said when the capacity is reached there still could be some triple/quad cabins showing as available.

Hi,

One key fact not yet addressed is that the parents will need to make final payment on the due date, and the siblings may not yet have a booking. It was not clear to me from the above posts if this is a capacity issue or a rooms availability issue, but I suspect it is a capacity issue. If this is the Dec. 23 sailing of the CB, then it is at capacity for 3 person rooms. It is not at capacity for 1 or 2 person rooms.

Your family has three options:

1. Keep things as they are, hope that somebody in a triple or quad room cancels before final payment, but accept that everyone may have to cancel if that does not happen.

2. Book the siblings into two rooms. It will cost more, but it will guarantee everyone can go on the trip. Hope for a cancelation of triple/quad before final payment, and check daily (maybe twice?) to see if a triple booking becomes available.

3. Consider traveling a week or two before the holidays. Prices are better by nearly half, the ships are decorated and everyone can celebrate together, just a little early. Consider changing ships or lines if they must travel over Christmas week.

Edited by cherylandtk

One key fact not yet addressed is that the parents will need to make final payment on the due date, and the siblings may not yet have a booking. It was not clear to me from the above posts if this is a capacity issue or a rooms availability issue, but I suspect it is a capacity issue. If this is the Dec. 23 sailing of the CB, then it is at capacity for 3 person rooms. It is not at capacity for 1 or 2 person rooms.

Your family has three options:

1. Keep things as they are, hope that somebody in a triple or quad room cancels before final payment, but accept that everyone may have to cancel if that does not happen.

2. Book the siblings into two rooms. It will cost more, but it will guarantee everyone can go on the trip. Hope for a cancelation of triple/quad before final payment, and check daily (maybe twice?) to see if a triple booking becomes available.

3. Consider traveling a week or two before the holidays. Prices are better by nearly half, the ships are decorated and everyone can celebrate together, just a little early. Consider changing ships or lines if they must travel over Christmas week.

3 Very good ideas for a Plan B, C and D since this is a Holiday Sailing which limits 3rd/4th availability very early ,and OP may not wish to stay home,

I'd waitlist the mini-suite categories as well. As mentioned, it's controlled by both rooms and ship capacity (they don't want a repeat of the Titanic I guess, so I think it's lifeboat capacity), and most mini-suites can take 3-4, the chance of clearing there is better, since it doesn't require a room with 3 or 4 actual berths.

I'd waitlist the mini-suite categories as well. As mentioned, it's controlled by both rooms and ship capacity (they don't want a repeat of the Titanic I guess, so I think it's lifeboat capacity), and most mini-suites can take 3-4, the chance of clearing there is better, since it doesn't require a room with 3 or 4 actual berths.

On a recent Princess on the CB, we were told that the lifecraft capacity is about 1000 more spaces than the max-number of passengers plus crew on board.

On a recent Princess on the CB, we were told that the lifecraft capacity is about 1000 more spaces than the max-number of passengers plus crew on board.

Maybe, but the max number of passengers is still limited it by that. I was told by a Princess Rep that on a particular cruise there were plenty of open mini-suites but they couldn't put more than two people in, because of safely regulations - I think fire and lifeboat.