Over packing?

sheeniwoo

How far in advance does everyone start packing?

Today is August 8, my cruise leaves August 25 and I started packing today with a check off list. I'm afraid I'm going to forget something! So far I'm nowhere near overpacking, but hey it's still early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I start laying out possible items to pack a couple of weeks before the cruise. We travel only with carryon so I pack light but may change my mind a few times about what to take and what to leave home.

I may actually pack the suitcase a few days before to make sure everything will fit.

We sail on September 11, and Ive already started here and there. This is our first cruise, and the biggest vacation we've ever taken, so I dont want to forget anything.

So far its mostly shorts I dont need to wear between now and then and extra socks lol

The majority will probably wait until after I get back from up north on the 21st...I still need bathing suits and things until then ;)

I start putting the things I'll carry in the spare closet together, but if I start the actual packing more than 2 days before we leave, I start re-thinking. That's when the suitcase gets unpacked, outfits switched, items of clothing added that I won't really need and things get ugly. I get too many things packed and then I can't get it to all fit back in the suitcase. I bought packing cubes and that was a disaster. I unpacked every one of them and started ALL over again. Happens EVERY time.

I start gathering a couple weeks prior, building my ziplock baggies of otc meds and other toiletries. Then will lay out clothes the week before to make sure I have everything and do some laundry if needed then I get packing, we do carry on only so it is pretty easy:D

2-3 weeks prior start putting things in a certain place, marking them off the list. Pack suitcase the weekend before. Last minute things (cell phone cord, cards, snacks for the flight) the night before the trip.

The night before... Usually results in a last minute dash to the 24 hour drugstore to pick up toothpaste or allergy meds, forgetting to pack something important, and little sleep the night before, and then swearing to do better the next time. But hey, it's tradition by now! Playing the lets guess what I'll forget to bring game!!

I will start gathering stuff to pack, but I don't actually PACK it until the day prior....

It's easier to pack summer clothes if it's winter...and vice versa, winter clothes if it's summer...you aren't actually USING those items! For a warm weather trip during the summer, I will have clothes I'm wearing that will need to be laundered a few days before packing....

I usually start getting things together about 2 months out (snorkel gear, toiletries, etc.). We sail next month and I don't have the 1st thing out :eek:.....our time has been completely consumed with getting ready to move our daughter into college next week! :(

I hope to get started in 2 weeks. I would say I'll be afraid I'll forget something, but I have a cruise packing list that I keep and check everything off as I pack it. Thank goodness for lists! :)

Actually in the suitcase? Night before or morning of... Gathering stuff? A few days before as laundry gets done.

Yep, us too. I put the first item into my suitcase the day of departure because that's the only way I know what I have or haven't packed. If I put it in two weeks earlier, I'm sure to panic as I can't recall where it is.

Some people use packing checklists but that's just not me. I know what I need and I know where it is in my closet and I pack things in a certain order - takes me about 40 minutes. :)

Yep, us too. I put the first item into my suitcase the day of departure because that's the only way I know what I have or haven't packed. If I put it in two weeks earlier, I'm sure to panic as I can't recall where it is.

Some people use packing checklists but that's just not me. I know what I need and I know where it is in my closet and I pack things in a certain order - takes me about 40 minutes. :)

My hubby didn't think he needed a list when he wanted to pack ALL of his stuff for the 1st time (he said it was to help me out). Well, guess what? He failed to get all of this stuff. He forgot to pack his bathing suits and his underwear! :D Needless to say, back to my list. :)

about a month ahead of time I get out my list and adjust it for the needs of the trip I am going on, two weekends before I put the suitcase on the bed in the guest room and start putting non-clothing items in it, weekend (or day before if I leave on Sunday) I put clothes in suitcase. Night before I get my travel purse and carry-on tote ready. Used to stretch it out a lot more but I now have a small travel dresser which is way overstocked with everything I might need so no shopping is necessary.

We have a "travel" drawer in one closet. It holds everything from electronics chargers/adapters to foreign currency (left over from previous travel) to travel sized toiletries. Pretty much everything we need other than actual clothing is in that drawer.

About a week before departure, we make sure that we have at least a week's worth of travel clothing items (appropriate to a particular itinerary of at least two weeks duration) on hand (or go shopping). We pack about 24-48 hrs. prior to departure.

We have a "travel" drawer in one closet. It holds everything from electronics chargers/adapters to foreign currency (left over from previous travel) to travel sized toiletries. Pretty much everything we need other than actual clothing is in that drawer.

About a week before departure, we make sure that we have at least a week's worth of travel clothing items (appropriate to a particular itinerary of at least two weeks duration) on hand (or go shopping). We pack about 24-48 hrs. prior to departure.

My "travel drawer" is actually a pocket closet. It's a combination of the holder of travel goodies, various lights and bottles, and travel books and packable/foldable bags and my cubes and folders. The closet was originally built as a linen closet, but I don't have enough spare linens to fill...

Regardless of the trip or it's length, I start packing the night before. I imagine what I want to take as soon as I book a trip, but it constantly changes as I remember what I have in my clothes closet. I usually finish packing about 10 minutes before the last second I can leave the house and still make it to the airport within the legal check-in time ;)

And, I do it in a carryon-size bag most of the time!

Funny side note: right now, the topic below this one is "packing in carryon"...

Edited by slidergirl

I started pulling clothes about 2 weeks ago. Also documents. Place them in my spare closet. I leave the 24th. Midday,so packing will be the night before, final essentials the day of. I am still not at a point of traveling with a carry on for two weeks. Especially a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk