Ultimate Ship Tours

JSWalk

I have to agree...it is definitely well worth the $150. We have done 3 ultimate ship tours...the Ruby, the Caribbean and most recently the Regal. On the Caribbean, we lucked out. I had read about this tour on this board and somewhere through the 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess, we went down to Guest Services and lucked out on the last 2 spots...they limit the tour to between 10 and 14 spots. So on the Ruby and the Regal, as soon as we embarked and checked out our cabin, we headed to the Guest Services Desk to ensure our spots. All 3 times apart from the very interesting tour, you get a beautiful Princess bathrobe, picture frame, couple of photos with the tour group and also with the Captain and a personalized note pad. So if you go on this tour, ensure there is sufficient place in your luggage for the goodies. It is normally held on the last sea day of your cruise. Enjoy.

Well worth the money IMHO. :)

That seems to be the consensus by those who have taken the tour. :)

Maybe I'll request it on the Star because we're driving to the port to sail r/t LA then luggage space won't be a concern for packing the deluxe bathrobe. ;)

Can anyone comment on what areas of the ship are included in the tour?

Theater

laundry

medical

Engineroom monitoring area/electronic control room.

forward mooring deck

Bridge

Can't remember if we went through the galley?

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I had once heard you are not allowed to take any photos on this tour.

Is this accurate, and if not a camera are cell phone pictures also prohibited?

Thanks for any info.

I have seen it both ways.

They say no photos but its up to the CD/Staff Captain or whoever is leading the tour.

I had once heard you are not allowed to take any photos on this tour.

Is this accurate, and if not a camera are cell phone pictures also prohibited?

Thanks for any info.

In our Bridge tour on the CB last Jan, we were allowed by the ship captain to take pictures using our phone.

Both times I have done it they said no photos. Both times once we hit the bridge you could take as many photos as you like. Annoying for people like me who did the "right" thing and left cameras in cabins as requested. Next time the camera is going in my pocket.

Did it on the Grand this spring. We went right to PSD on embarkation and the list wasn't ready yet, but the crew member took our names and we wound up 1 and 2 on the list.

Watching the sheet folding machine in the laundry is just about worth the cost of the tour!

Got to see my shirts being ironed in valet laundry.

In addition to the areas noted, we went into Stores and the Food prep / butcher areas and freezers/cold rooms down there.

And the Print shop.

On the Emerald Princess in the summer of 2009 (when the UST had just started to be offered) we also got to climb the funnel. I don't know if they still do that. I convinced my brother and SIL to take the UST on the Royal Princess in 2013 and they said that was the best 'excursion' of the entire cruise. Next year my sister and BIL - a retired engineer for the US Naval Sea Systems Command - will be on the Royal Princess with us. I've already told them they absolutely must do the UST. He'll understand all the parts I didn't :p.

I did the UST on the CB a few years ago and, as others have said, it was worth every penny. I wish they offered it for about $50.00 less, with no robe. I already have 3 of them!

I do have a question, if anyone knows, is the UST on the Regal different than on the CB? Will I notice updated laundry, galley and stores, medical, etc? In other words, is it basically the same?

As for climbing the funnels as someone mentioned, we did that on the CB and we were told that they can't do it all of the time, a lot depends on weather. But is was one of my favorite parts. They took our picture from the deck below.

Maureen

Both times I have done it they said no photos. Both times once we hit the bridge you could take as many photos as you like. Annoying for people like me who did the "right" thing and left cameras in cabins as requested. Next time the camera is going in my pocket.

+1 on that. Had I known, there'd have been a DSLR on my hip with an 11-24mm mega-wide to catch the amazing view from the bridge. Grrr...I hate being such a goody two-shoes at times like that.

I do have a question, if anyone knows, is the UST on the Regal different than on the CB? Will I notice updated laundry, galley and stores, medical, etc? In other words, is it basically the same?

Same areas, but they are different than on the pre-Royal ships.

On the Royal (and I assume the Regal), the laundry area had the same great machines, but it was not the two story area that it was on the Emerald. Also, on the Royal we went to the mooring area at the front of the ship, but did not see the Medical Center.

When I have taken the UST, I take along my camera and ask the Captain if it is OK to take pictures on the Bridge. Each time the answer was "yes."

I did not ask in any other of the areas visited.

By the way, on Carnival's equivalent tour ("Behind the Fun") you cannot have either a cell phone or camera with you. They take any from you at the start of the tour and wand you at the start of the tour, before going into the engine control room and a third time before going onto the Bridge.

Edited by caribill

Same areas, but they are different than on the pre-Royal ships.

On the Royal (and I assume the Regal), the laundry area had the same great machines, but it was not the two story area that it was on the Emerald. Also, on the Royal we went to the mooring area at the front of the ship, but did not see the Medical Center.

Thank you so much!

Maureen