Port Fee Rip Off?

wilmingtech

Just looking at the one nighter on the Pearl on Sept 25th from Seattle to Vancouver. The room is only 49.00 but port fees are 113?

Similar cruise on Princess and the port fees are 30$.

So is NCL really paying 113 per person in port fees or are they trying to make up for the price or lack of passengers on this cruise?

Curious.

-Sean

Just looking at the one nighter on the Pearl on Sept 25th from Seattle to Vancouver. The room is only 49.00 but port fees are 113?

So is NCL really paying 113 per person in port fees or are they trying to make up for the price or lack of passengers on this cruise?

Curious.

-Sean

After a class action suit a few years ago, the things that the cruise lines can list under "port fees" is strictly limited. It's not transparent, but it is regulated. Now, having said that, the total amount of port fees for the ship is divided by the number of passengers, so if your cruise is lightly booked, the fees per person will be higher.

Curious.

-Sean

I'm on the HAL one-nighter on Sept 25th, and my port fees are $49.50. I assume the berth may have something to do with the cost, but that seems like a big difference. I'm sure there are a number of things factored in when port charges are calculated which may account for the differences between cruise lines...??? No idea.

After a class action suit a few years ago, the things that the cruise lines can list under "port fees" is strictly limited. It's not transparent, but it is regulated. Now, having said that, the total amount of port fees for the ship is divided by the number of passengers, so if your cruise is lightly booked, the fees per person will be higher.

How does that work? I've never had my port fees change after I've booked, so I would think they initially charge you port fees for a full booked cruise, but then wouldn't they go up if the ship didn't sail full? Or do they absorb them? I would think the likelihood of most cruise lines absorbing any costs would have to be pretty small! :p

I have actually been on a couple of cruises where the port charges have gone down and I received a credit while on board. These credits were not for missed ports just a reduction in the fees I was orginally charged. Also not enough to make any difference - just a few bucks.

This was years ago though.

This is NCL, so they're probably charging gratuities on the port fees. ;)

NO, PORT FEES are what are due to the Port of Seattle, gratuities are a separate issue.

Remember that Norwegian docks at the Bell Street Terminal downtown waterfront. One ship at a time. All the other cruise lines use Smith Cove, which can dock 3 to 4 ships at a time.

NO, PORT FEES are what are due to the Port of Seattle, gratuities are a separate issue.

Remember that Norwegian docks at the Bell Street Terminal downtown waterfront. One ship at a time. All the other cruise lines use Smith Cove, which can dock 3 to 4 ships at a time.

I believe Paul was being sarcastic about the gratuities.

And yes, the cost of the dock is one thing, as well as what services the ship uses while in port. I've seen port fees go down, they generally absorb any up fee.

Well, that makes sense then. If they dock at a different pier then it would make sense the port fees would be different.

I am absolutely certain that Aquahound was joking. Notice the winky face. ;):p:D

I have actually been on a couple of cruises where the port charges have gone down and I received a credit while on board. These credits were not for missed ports just a reduction in the fees I was orginally charged. Also not enough to make any difference - just a few bucks.

This was years ago though.

I remember my group getting back $12 each on a cruise to Canada several years ago.We inquired and were told a reduction in port taxes.:)

Dan

What I forgot to mention is that the Port of Seattle have entered into 50-50 agreement for a multi- million dollar upgrade to the Bell Street Terminal to begin after this cruise season. I am not sure what all they hope to accomplish. Smith Cove has a system where ships plug into the Port's Power Supply system- like huge extension cord so that ships are NOT idling all day uses their own power. It would be nice if that put that system into the Bell Street System. Sometimes the marine diesel fumes are overpowering at the seafood restaurant next door.

And yes, the cost of the dock is one thing, as well as what services the ship uses while in port. I've seen port fees go down, they generally absorb any up fee.

We were stuck in Boston thanks to a storm named Sandy. We sat in port for an extra day and a half and not charged port fees. Obviously since we would all be very unhappy. But we did miss a port because of the delay and I think that is one that we did get those port fees back.

Curious.

-Sean

The only thing I can think is that they lump 'taxes, fees, and port fees' together. So while I would think that all cruises on that itinerary pay the same port fees. I wonder if the more generic 'fees' are more cruise line specify. Cause those are insane, more than half of what we are paying toward in taxes, fees, and port fees towards at 10 night cruise on ncl

NCL always seems to have higher port fees than other lines.

I realize this is not an apples-to-apples comparison, however for the week of Christmas:

Allure of the Seas, 7-night eastern - Ports: Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Maarteen. Superior Balcony Stateroom Gty.

Taxes & Port Fees for 2 pax - $215.10

Norwegian Escape, 7-night eastern - Ports: St. Thomas, Tortola.

Taxes & Port Fees for 2 pax - $270.68

I experienced similar differences on our side-to-side this summer. First sailed Escape, then RCCL's Freedom of the Seas. Both were Eastern itineraries. Freedom taxes & port fees were $212.32 and Escape's were $261.22

The only thing I can think is that they lump 'taxes, fees, and port fees' together. So while I would think that all cruises on that itinerary pay the same port fees. I wonder if the more generic 'fees' are more cruise line specify. Cause those are insane, more than half of what we are paying toward in taxes, fees, and port fees towards at 10 night cruise on ncl

Yeah it is crazy when you put a percentage to it.

Its only 290% more than your cruise fare for port fees!

-Sean

What I said before was about "lumping" fees and such. The cruise lines used to do this, so they could advertise a lower fare, but the courts put a stop to that. They can only put in there what fees they pay to the port for use of port facilities. Now, if they need extra line handlers, or there is a port surcharge for having the fuel barge come alongside, that changes port fees.

There is still some "port charges" out there, where a TA will take the commissionable portion of the fare, and advertise that as the fare, and then list the "non-commissionable" portion as "port charges".

Heck, when I was with NCL, I cruised for port fees and taxes, so they were 100% of my fare.

Listen...you HAVE to pay port fees and taxes...don't even worry about them! If you want to cruise, you have to pay the piper...it's just the way it is.

No problem paying port fees. These are for overnights from Seattle to Vancouver

HAL Fare = 38

Port Fee = 40

Total 78

Princess Fare = 69

Port Fee = 30

Total 99

NCL Fare = 39

Port Fee = 113

Total = 152

Can you see what the problem is?

-Sean

As noted, NCL uses a different dock in Seattle so that makes sense.

It's also important to note that size and class of ship can make a difference. Some ships need tug assists, some may not, some may require more ground support for a variety of reasons. Also some lines are able to negotiate better deals with ports based on volume of dockings, etc (this is why Princess often has lower dock fees in Alaska and surround, they have an outsize presence)

Whether a ship is expected to tender in can also be a factor.

This is one area where the line has to be able to document the charges, so they are definitely not inflating them (that doesn't mean they can't necessarily get a better deal, but since they pass the cost along sometimes aren't as inclined to make the effort).

Now, there is one area where the lines legally could offset costs to passengers in this way and that's if they can roll some services like water bunkering or power into the port contract. That way it would show as just part of the general port fee and be able to be included in this section. This is not common because the ports don't generally want to do it.

No problem paying port fees. These are for overnights from Seattle to Vancouver

HAL Fare = 38

Port Fee = 40

Total 78

Princess Fare = 69

Port Fee = 30

Total 99

NCL Fare = 39

Port Fee = 113

Total = 152

Can you see what the problem is?

-Sean